Knicks Close On Multi-Year Deal For Felton

jzero29

Rotation player
Is it worth it? Is felton A level?

Is felton the A level guard we want running this team? Prob not.
he'll make us a def playoff team which accomplishes 4 things
1) We're out of the lottery, will draft a mediocre player
2) a first round exit, to Celts, heat, orlando, chicago
3) hinders our chances at Signing Tony parker and carmelo and keeping key roleplayerss in place.
4) makes Dolan happy, because of revenue gained for playoff hype, despite the first round exit.
only if we sign trade for parker or carmelo and out right sign the other.

If we had carmelo and parker, we could compete with Miami, the celts orlando anyone. Chicago we'll be competitive with this year, but they are a better team

jzero29

Rotation player
we have a good team as is.

The key thing is team option. We hold the cards.
thats great but the thing about team options is losing the guy you waive. Chandler is an excelent guy to have around. He's a solid player. And if the azibuke performs we'll want him around. he's unrestricted.
The key is patience, felton won't get us out of the first round. Carmelo or parker will make us competive enough that it's a shot.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Hadn't really seen too much of Felton, so I checked some vids out:

IMO, he plays like a more athletic Mike Bibby.

There was a knock on his assist numbers, but I think it has to do with the type of players he was surrounded with in Charlotte.

Also, he has really good vision. I was impressed with most of the passes that he made in the videos. Not many point guards can make those passes.

jzero29

Rotation player
To much!

7 million is a mistake! he's getting 3 mill more a year then steve blake. We're over paying!!!! arggggh. blake 4mill a year for 4 years 16 mill total. I wouldn't have gone a dime over 5.5 mill. Considering we could have had rindour for around 3 or 4. He'd be getting 1.5 mill more then the next best PG out there. Perfect. But no, Lest almost double the next best guys salary for a slightly above avg PG who hasn't proven he can get to next level.
Felton vs rindour...felton wins us what 4-6 more games and still a 1st round exit for an extra 3-4 mill a year!!! rip off. Dolan is making walsh make these deals, so he gets some positive excitment, when the whole time we're still in same predicament. 1st round exit.
rindour could have been had for probably half and maybe even a 1 yr deal option for 2 or something. Rindour would have made us a playoff team and would be better for future, instead we have a slightly above avg PG, with a big contract... great job guys.
sorry just ranting

jrdrny

Benchwarmer
Is felton the A level guard we want running this team? Prob not.
he'll make us a def playoff team which accomplishes 4 things
1) We're out of the lottery, will draft a mediocre player
2) a first round exit, to Celts, heat, orlando, chicago
3) hinders our chances at Signing Tony parker and carmelo and keeping key roleplayerss in place.
4) makes Dolan happy, because of revenue gained for playoff hype, despite the first round exit.
only if we sign trade for parker or carmelo and out right sign the other.

If we had carmelo and parker, we could compete with Miami, the celts orlando anyone. Chicago we'll be competitive with this year, but they are a better team

i think we can beat chi cause we are the 5th seed and them the 4th we have amre over boozer and im think galo over deng and walker over they sg

mafra

Legend
Felton is a good PG with average numbers. But in coach D's system, with his coaching, he can have really good numbers.

................ And Douglas is definitely not better than Felton, yet. :cool:

R

The length of the deal has not yet been agreed upon, but Felton will earn a starting salary in the $7 million range. (I hear 3 years)

Felton was widely considered the top free-agent point guard available in this summer's superstar-laden market. One of the other top free-agent playmakers, Steve Blake, came off the market earlier this week when he agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Bobcats selected Felton fifth overall in the 2005 NBA draft, and he has career averages of 13.3 points, 6.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game. He's proved to be durable, appearing in at least 78 games in each of his five seasons as Charlotte's starting point guard, and should bring stability to the Knicks' backcourt.

Sounds like he could average 17 ppg & 8 assists with Mike D.

smokes

Huge Member
U guys amaze me if u think td and luke is better than felton. Does anyone watch games. He is a proven starter and can run a team fulltime. He will command more than luke that's just cuz he's better. Td can not run a team. He is better defensively yes but he is best served as a backup. So I assuming you would pay luke and td more than five mil a year if they were FA. Comeon. R u serious.

+1 agree fully.

Did no one watch the NYK CHA games last year where Felton ripped us a new one? He's quick, solid finisher around the rim, decent jumpshot, good defense, good passer.

Clear upgrade over Toney D. I like Toney but would only want him starting if we had got Lebron or Wade to be the primary ballhandler.

This is a good move. As long as we don't give him ridiculous money. 7 million per is reasonable.

jzero29

Rotation player
Felton is also better than Blake and Ridnour. He's the best of all the available options at PG.
Yes felton(3yrs 21mill, 7per) is best option, 3 million more then blake(4yrs 16 mill, 4 per)? prob 4 more then rindour? I don't think so will he bring us that many more wins then rindour? 4-6 is generous.

i think we can beat chi cause we are the 5th seed and them the 4th we have amre over boozer and im think galo over deng and walker over they sg
Chicago is the only team we can compete with, but they have advantage at pg and defense, i think it'd be a decent series, but they win.

The length of the deal has not yet been agreed upon, but Felton will earn a starting salary in the $7 million range. (I hear 3 years)

Felton was widely considered the top free-agent point guard available in this summer's superstar-laden market. One of the other top free-agent playmakers, Steve Blake, came off the market earlier this week when he agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Bobcats selected Felton fifth overall in the 2005 NBA draft, and he has career averages of 13.3 points, 6.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game. He's proved to be durable, appearing in at least 78 games in each of his five seasons as Charlotte's starting point guard, and should bring stability to the Knicks' backcourt.

I'll give you the 17 points, as it is just 2 baskets, but his fg % will go down with the increased freedom of shooting, his assist number will stay about the same, he'll shoot more and pass less, but have more touches to get the assists so it's a wash.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
:agreed:

The guy is a true triple threat from behind the the 3 point arc. He can get in the lane (as seen in the highlight reel ad nauseum), shoots competently from 3 and he finds cutting teammates. While Tony Parker is a really good player, he does not shoot the 3 nearly as well, and the two players have similar career assist numbers. I actually think Felton is a better fit for the Knicks due to his more well-rounded skill set.

Felton will be a problem in coach D's pick and roll w/ Stoudemire. :beer:

jzero29

Rotation player
+1 agree fully.

Did no one watch the NYK CHA games last year where Felton ripped us a new one? He's quick, solid finisher around the rim, decent jumpshot, good defense, good passer.

Clear upgrade over Toney D. I like Toney but would only want him starting if we had got Lebron or Wade to be the primary ballhandler.

This is a good move. As long as we don't give him ridiculous money. 7 million per is reasonable.
He's better then TD and rindour, no doubt or argument...My argument is about money and wins. 4-6 extra wins but not good enough to top chicago, we have amare over boozer...everything else is a draw, except point guard where dreick rose is an allstar. Felton is slightly above avg.
but the next best free agent PG, got 4 mill per year deal...so throw another 3 abouve that guy? it's bad barganing. We could have gotten him for 5.5 or 6 is overpaying for an avg point guard, who has okay numbers, has not played recently in this system. His new numbers are unproven (17 and 8) you can't guarantee them. I can say he'll should be around his old numbers give or take a few in the scoring avg.

Maybe he ripped the knicks, but that was bad defense and lack of a good PG last year, doesn't make him an all-star. Everyones players ripped us last year. All these no name guys always went off for career games against the knicks. Doesn't make them all-stars. Just means knicks have lousy defense.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
We could have gotten him for 5.5 or 6 is overpaying for an avg point guard, who has okay numbers, has not played recently in this system.

Be careful with your assessment of Felton. I don't think he's an average point guard. I think he's a dynamic guard that has been stiffled while playing for Larry Brown. Remember he also shared time with another promising PG on the Bobcats by the name of DJ Augustin. Like others have said he will have much more freedom with coach D. He will be unleashed!

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Sighs.

No. We couldn't have gotten Felton for a better price.

In part this is the predictable response to us megawhiffing in the LeBastard saga. Prices will go up for u (than they otherwise may have been). But it isn't fair or unfair, and it's not overpaying or underpaying either way.

Talking about getting him for less is inane.

Talking about --not-- getting him. Period. Is not inane, though, and I agree with a lot of the anti-Felton points.

Also, isn't Amare getting 5yr/100M (not 17M/yr)? But I guess it's weighted and scaled through the years(?)

It's all about Carmelo now, as some have hinted and surmised. Our team truly is primed to take him on and swiftly be a young juggernaut added to the elite creme of the NBA, most of whom look to be staying at their lofty positions for a while.

Not-so-bold estimation: airball Carmelo now and we're a playoff kick toy for quite some time (barring an absolute explosion of both Gallo and Randolph)

Still, Felton could be a wise investment for sure. Carolina who got him to be a top5 draft pick was an uptempo court system. Larry brown's stifles his main attributes; maybe helps rest of team, but stifles this mans game. D'ant has d'ant players to mold into his coaching--Raymond will notably be included.

Anyways, Tyrus just signed for 8M/5yr -- with the Cats -- so we can take that for what it's worth.

And wow. Megawhiffing in the last draft in securing the 1's available really biting us hard. Has made so many things so much more tricky. Ce la vie.

Last edited:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
According to Basketball reference, Raymond Felton was worth approximately 6.5 wins to the Charlotta bobkittens last year. Rinour was worth 6.2 to MIL, and Toney Douglas was worth 2.2, but of course he didn't get much playing time. Duhon was less than him btw.

I'm hoping this contract is less than 7 million a year cause then we are overpaying.

I've heard great things about this guy, his shooting ability is meh, and I think his assist numbers will rise. Remember, Brown is the Anti'Dantoni. A PG's numbers go down when he's playing in Browns system, whereas they go up in our system. And I hear Felt can hit shots in the clutch. Which is what we lacked since we rid ourselves of Crawford.

Good acquisition as long as we didn't overpay and we still have money for a max or somewhere close next year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
$7M? I don't think that's too bad. He's got some D and can hit from anywhere. The thing I like most about his game is his speed. He's quick as a whip and at 200lbs, can utilise his body.

Is he that good a passer though? I watched each Knick game vs the Bobcats the last couple years and didn't really think so. And that was against OUR horrible defence.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
I don't get the complaints over this siging. Felton is perfect for our system, he's 26 and he has a lot of potential and room to mature. Also, Ridnour is SO overrated on this board. The dude is 30 and people are still talking about him "Developing into a great PG" in the future. In a word, Please.