Melo: Wants trade to Knicks (ESPN source)

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Yeah but isnt that the Point...I mean maybe sweeten the deal with Shawne, Douglas, or the Gov but thats it!

Take what we give them or get nothing right?

But what you are missing is they will get something, either from us or another team. And for everyone here to be so smug to think there is no way in hell Melo would not sign with any other team is just way out of the realm of reality! He is saying what he is saying now, his people are leaking what they want to try to push the deal along but in the end there will be a deal in place and it's not guaranteed it is NY! You guys need to face facts, if we get Melo we are losing 2 of the 3!

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think Melo is already on record stating he will chance the CBA to come to NY. He will make that up in NYC with endorsements alone. Think about the buzz and money that will be generated by Melo and STAT dominating in NYC!

Yes, same thing was said about Jordan, Kobe.... That is the rub when any super star considers coming to NY no matter what the sport... When has that actually worked??

la2ny

Starter
O well!

if he signs with one of those shit teams thats him.
The reason the NBA is where it is is because Miami showed how much leverage a player can actually have. its a businees first. He can sign w/ NJ,Phi,Cha but the reason he wants to leave is because he's not going to win in Den. that was the purpose of this. If he wants to be a Knick Denver has NO LEVERAGE! if he wants the extension he can lay in the bed he made and rot out of the playoffs for years to come...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
O well!

if he signs with one of those shit teams thats him.
The reason the NBA is where it is is because Miami showed how much leverage a player can actually have. its a businees first. He can sign w/ NJ,Phi,Cha but the reason he wants to leave is because he's not going to win in Den. that was the purpose of this. If he wants to be a Knick Denver has NO LEVERAGE! if he wants the extension he can lay in the bed he made and rot out of the playoffs for years to come...

Exactly! If Melo just wants the money his best option is to sign the extension with Denver. They are certainly closer to a title then NJ or Philly! Melo wants his cake and to eat it too. NYC, big market, quality roster and the spotlight.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think Melo is already on record stating he will chance the CBA to come to NY. He will make that up in NYC with endorsements alone. Think about the buzz and money that will be generated by Melo and STAT dominating in NYC!

Give me 2 examples of players that gave up money to play for a specific team. I am talking superstar in their prime and not an ageing Vet or scrub..... Also, to totally discount him resiging with Denver is naive!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Give me 2 examples of players that gave up money to play for a specific team. I am talking superstar in their prime and not an ageing Vet or scrub..... Also, to totally discount him resiging with Denver is naive!

Chis Bosh, Dwayne Wade and Lebron James...

Oh and Artest did it to play with the Lakers.

There is 4!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Ron, I normally agree with what you saying but I think you are wrong on this . See my thread: http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9405

Idk dude, these trade scenarios are not my strong suit at all.. I weigh in very apprehensively, lol.

Logically to me, it just seems to me that if Denver has no leverage they wouldn't wait. They kno what our players can do now.. Why didn't they try to rape us when our team sucked at the beginning of the season?

I think they$re waiting because it is in they're best interest to. The longer Denver plays it this way, the more desperate Melo gets. The more time it takes for them to agree to a deal, the more they can tweak teams packages to get as much as possible. And why would NJ already make them an offer knowing full well Melo would only be a rental? Seems they think they can convince him. Idk, I just think Denver is more crafty than people are giving them credit for. My lame 2 cents..

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

There is 4!

Wait.... Jame, Wade and Bosh took a few dollars shy of max!!!
Artest didn't have too many teams knocking down his door if you remember... He wanted to come to the Knicks but they didn't want him.... Not good examples at all!!!!

iSaYughh

Starter

There is 4!

Exactly. And none of these guys *actually* gave up money. Which is the point you're making to begin with. And Wade/Lebron/Bosh didn't have to take much less than the max because it wasn't necessary, and it also wasn't even about the dollars of their respective deals. Either way, it unequivocally shows prime superstars will take LESS money.

That is the crux.

Crafty superstars in this day and age know what's what. There are playgrounds to make unprecented amounts of money and fame, that transcend anything else a simple Current CBA vs (potentially worse) Future CBA deal can even sniff.

Playing in major cities with good sports reputations and for quality teams, especially in a tandem with another superstar is the formula.

Not just for winning, but for winning with max swag and spotlight. And that ='s bonzo bucks.

Let's say the new cba had us give Melo 5M a year max. 5Mill.

Give me any team he magically can go to that is in the realm of possibility, and I can tell you precisely how he can, and will, make more money if he keeps the 5Mill.

Guys like Melo, Wade, Lebron...they are rich as **** and have many millions more coming irregardless.

They aren't good players hoping and looking to milk out that extra jump in pay to a bigger contract and lock down money that they actually perceive could be a "need" for them.

They might want the STATUS of getting the, or close to the, MAX offer -- which Melo would still get with a new CBA.

But these guys want BONZO bucks, and epic, legendary type of status and respect.

You only get that if you come into a spot like MIA...and really, above all places else, NYC.

If Melo comes to NYC he will get his choice of commercials, endorsements, tv/movie cameos, whatever he wants. And he will be doing it amongst a friend in a similar spot.

We've seen how powerful this formula is; and it has never been stronger than what it currently offers Melo.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Wait.... Jame, Wade and Bosh took a few dollars shy of max!!!
Artest didn't have too many teams knocking down his door if you remember... He wanted to come to the Knicks but they didn't want him.... Not good examples at all!!!!

Wrong and wrong. It was not a few dollars, it was millions. Artest could have signed with several other teams for more money but went to LA cause he wanted a chip. You asked for 2 examples and I gave 4. Sorry dude, try again.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Wrong and wrong. It was not a few dollars, it was millions. Artest could have signed with several other teams for more money but went to LA cause he wanted a chip. You asked for 2 examples and I gave 4. Sorry dude, try again.

They took 2 million each less to allow Miami to sign a few more players... Really? This is your example of players taking a pay hit? If you brought up Greg Maddox who turned down 10's of millions from the Yankees .... Are you counting the house Riley gave LeBron?

Artest wanted to go to the Knicks but NY didn't want him. But you are wrong about many teams wanting him! Teams were afraid to sign him because of his antics and thought he was a cancer in the locker room! Do you just make facts up? LA took a chance on him because of Phil Jackson feeling he could deal with him. He is a talent but a head case.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
They took 2 million each less to allow Miami to sign a few more players... Really? This is your example of players taking a pay hit? If you brought up Greg Maddox who turned down 10's of millions from the Yankees to stay in Atlanta.... Are you counting the house Riley gave LeBron?

Artest wanted to go to the Knicks but NY didn't want him. But you are wrong about many teams wanting him! Teams were afraid to sign him because of his antics and thought he was a cancer in the locker room! Do you just make facts up? LA took a chance on him because of Phil Jackson feeling he could deal with him. He is a talent but a head case.

LOL. DO I make facts up?:teeth: Like that they took a few dollars less? (2 million = a few dollars huh?)

You asked me to name 2 players I named 4. If you think Artest could not have gotten more money elsewhere then you are delusional. He could have stayed in Houston and earned more. Further the Knicks would have take Artest if they could of gotten him at that point so I don't know what kind of crap you are speaking.

Face facts dude, you asked me to name 2 players and I named 4. Further, no one knows including Melo what the new CBA will be so it's not like he is guaranteed to take less or guaranteed to take less than 2 mil per year. Further, it has already been reported that he is willing to take that chance. Of course he would rather sign the extension with NYC but all indications are that he is prepared to wait it out so he can play in NYC so your point is not only moot but proven wrong by my quality examples.

Just an FYI since you try to claim I am making up facts when it is you clearly talking out of your ass:

Shaq can have LeBron. Ron Artest says he'll take Kobe.

Artest, whose versatility and toughness have made him one of the most coveted and combustible players in the NBA, told CBSSports.com Thursday that he's signing with the Lakers.

"I'm definitely going to L.A. -- to sign, yeah," Artest said in a phone interview. "Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. I'm in L.A. right now."

Artest said he met with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss Thursday and previously had spoken with Lakers coach Phil Jackson. He was en route to his financial manager's office, where he planned to huddle on the phone with his agent, David Bauman, to finalize details.

Artest's exuberance -- he spent the whole summer in L.A., including several appearances at Lakers home games during the NBA Finals -- got ahead of the process a bit. Other teams that made overtures for Artest -- including the Cavaliers -- have not yet been notified that Artest is signing with the Lakers. (Consider them notified.) Bauman has spoken with Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, and a person with knowledge of the negotiations told CBSSports.com that Artest agreed to a five-year deal for the full mid-level exception -- about $33 million. It's the same deal that Houston agreed to with Trevor Ariza, who swaps cities with Artest.

"I don't really care about the money," Artest said. "I'll play there for nothing. ... L.A. was very interested in me, and they got me."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15861966

That's what we call Check and wait for it.............................MATE!

P.S. Those were just stars in their prime. Lets not even get into all the players that have come to Boston and Miami for a chance at a chip.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
LOL. DO I make facts up?:teeth: Like that they took a few dollars less? (2 million = a few dollars huh?)

You asked me to name 2 players I named 4. If you think Artest could not have gotten more money elsewhere then you are delusional. He could have stayed in Houston and earned more. Further the Knicks would have take Artest if they could of gotten him at that point so I don't know what kind of crap you are speaking.

Face facts dude, you asked me to name 2 players and I named 4. Further, no one knows including Melo what the new CBA will be so it's not like he is guaranteed to take less or guaranteed to take less than 2 mil per year. Further, it has already been reported that he is willing to take that chance. Of course he would rather sign the extension with NYC but all indications are that he is prepared to wait it out so he can play in NYC so your point is not only moot but proven wrong by my quality examples.

Just an FYI since you try to claim I am making up facts when it is you clearly talking out of your ass:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15861966

That's what we call Check and wait for it.............................MATE!

P.S. Those were just stars in their prime. Lets not even get into all the players that have come to Boston and Miami for a chance at a chip.

You named 4?
3 of them were all offered max contracts until they got there and realised they didn't have a team so they each agreed on 1.8 mil less a piece to allow Miami to sign a few extra players.... So if You agree to take $99.00 instead of a $100 you are making a great sacrifice? Plus LeBron got a house that was valued at 50 mil for an "undisclosed" amount? Hmmm, that is not a perk to sign either right?...

I don't care what articles you throw out, I remember ESPN radio doing interviews from all around the league and MOST teams wanted nothing to do with him and the Knicks wanted to trade an expiring contract for him but give up nothing. Also he swore he would take less money from the Knicks (If you remember he said he would sign for the mid level exception)... Remember Frank Isola on ESPN during the whole time saying that the Knicks never made a serious attempt to land him??

KBlack25

Starter
You named 4?
3 of them were all offered max contracts until they got there and realised they didn't have a team so they each agreed on 1.8 mil less a piece to allow Miami to sign a few extra players.... So if You agree to take $99.00 instead of a $100 you are making a great sacrifice? Plus LeBron got a house that was valued at 50 mil for an "undisclosed" amount? Hmmm, that is not a perk to sign either right?...

I don't care what articles you throw out, I remember ESPN radio doing interviews from all around the league and MOST teams wanted nothing to do with him and the Knicks wanted to trade an expiring contract for him but give up nothing. Also he swore he would take less money from the Knicks (If you remember he said he would sign for the mid level exception)... Remember Frank Isola on ESPN during the whole time saying that the Knicks never made a serious attempt to land him??

Also, there is no state income tax in FL. By the numbers, because of this factor, Bosh and James are making MORE than they would have made with max offers in Cleveland or Toronto. The "taking less" thing is a smokescreen.