Mozgov should be getting consistent minutes..

LMAO! sure or how about with the injuries Mike D thought this would be a good chance to see what Mozgov has learned because he could have defiantly went another way, maybe he could have played AR more since he was rebounding well while in the beginning Mozgov went 0-4 or he could have put in someone else when Mozgov picked up 2 quick fouls. But, wait he didn't he let the kid play and he had this performance.

I'm not saying this is all Mike D's doing but if watched the beginning of the season you will see this is a more Confident ready to Contribute Mozgov.

We can all speculate why but at the end of the day Mozgov played last night and he had a great performance and will have another shot at it again.

True he had a great performance. But, IMHO the kid shouldnt have to be "GREAT" to get minutes. Just serviceable would do. Name another 7 1 center in the league with Moz's skillset thats not getting any minutes. He runs, jumps, hustles and thats a great starting point.

No way this kid should not have been seeing some minutes earlier in the year the way we've been DOMINATED in the paint.

One thing that needs to be added to this argument is Anthony Randolph. He didnt preform spectacularly, but he did give us 5 rebounds (4 offensive) and a block in 8 minutes. That 4 extra possessions. This kid could fill up a stat sheet if given the minutes.

MDA is also on the clock with this decision...

nyk_nyk

All Star
Personally I think the decision to play Mozgov was mostly Donnie's decision. Not having Williams and Chandler doesn't necessarily affect the center position. Actually, AR had a better case for minutes since he could play SF or PF. If there were no injuries or suspensions, Mozgov would still be on the bench watching. Dantoni didn't all of a sudden realize that Moz was ready and decide to give him all these minutes against DET. Mozgov could have easily had this type of game a month ago, but we'll never know because he was out of the rotation. There were games where we were getting mauled on the boards and Dantoni never even looked Mozgov's way. Its hard for me to believe this move was all Dantoni but since Moz did his thing Dant will get the credit.

We all know when Dantoni has his rotation set he rarely changes it. He was perfectly happy playing Amare at C and IMO wasn't looking to change anything no matter what the practices looked like. He's said numerous times that the team is at its best with Amare at the 5.

To all the people posting quotes from guys raving how hard Moz works in practice: What the hell do you expect them to say???? I'm sure everyone works hard in practice and if Walker ever had a 40 point game you'd hear the same things about him too. I'm not with the theory that he wasn't ready and therefore got cut from the rotation. If he needed work then you work on it in practice but you still at the very least give him limited minutes to chart his progress. There really is no substitution for the real game. Sure Moz was timid and had to get adjusted to the NBA game early on, but you don't yank him from the rotation completely. Going up against different NBA players/teams is much better than continuously practicing against the same guys day after day. IF you had to take him out of the rotation to work on a few things then it should be brief. Confidence really is half the game.

Now someone has to lose minutes since TM proved himself and I know Dantoni doesn't like having to reduce minutes to his shooting core, so I'm guessing Turiaf will get more bench time. I also can't see Dant cutting into his shooters minutes for AR either.

One thing that needs to be added to this argument is Anthony Randolph. He didnt preform spectacularly, but he did give us 5 rebounds (4 offensive) and a block in 8 minutes. That 4 extra possessions. This kid could fill up a stat sheet if given the minutes.

D'antoni won't play him much. He is a ball stopper, and we all know, that's a no no in MDA's world. I think he'd may start seein limited spurts if Moz and Rony get in foul trouble.

His minutes were all a plus.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What's important is that someone in the organization trusted him enough to play.

We all know that D'Antoni isn't beyond using only 7 of his players...he isn't beyond starting Amar'e at C and using a 7-man rotation...but someone convinced him (whether it was T-Moz with excellent play or Donnie Walsh giving him an ultimatum) to play the Governator and...well, yeah.

p0nder

Starter
Donnie has said repeatedly that this is D'antoni's team and he gets all the calls of who is on the floor and in the rotation. All donnie does is consult with d'ant on what kind of players he wants and donnie takes care of that, giving him the players his system thrives off of.

Personally I think the decision to play Mozgov was mostly Donnie's decision. Not having Williams and Chandler doesn't necessarily affect the center position. Actually, AR had a better case for minutes since he could play SF or PF. If there were no injuries or suspensions, Mozgov would still be on the bench watching. Dantoni didn't all of a sudden realize that Moz was ready and decide to give him all these minutes against DET. Mozgov could have easily had this type of game a month ago, but we'll never know because he was out of the rotation. There were games where we were getting mauled on the boards and Dantoni never even looked Mozgov's way. Its hard for me to believe this move was all Dantoni but since Moz did his thing Dant will get the credit.

We all know when Dantoni has his rotation set he rarely changes it. He was perfectly happy playing Amare at C and IMO wasn't looking to change anything no matter what the practices looked like. He's said numerous times that the team is at its best with Amare at the 5.

To all the people posting quotes from guys raving how hard Moz works in practice: What the hell do you expect them to say???? I'm sure everyone works hard in practice and if Walker ever had a 40 point game you'd hear the same things about him too. I'm not with the theory that he wasn't ready and therefore got cut from the rotation. If he needed work then you work on it in practice but you still at the very least give him limited minutes to chart his progress. There really is no substitution for the real game. Sure Moz was timid and had to get adjusted to the NBA game early on, but you don't yank him from the rotation completely. Going up against different NBA players/teams is much better than continuously practicing against the same guys day after day. IF you had to take him out of the rotation to work on a few things then it should be brief. Confidence really is half the game.

Now someone has to lose minutes since TM proved himself and I know Dantoni doesn't like having to reduce minutes to his shooting core, so I'm guessing Turiaf will get more bench time. I also can't see Dant cutting into his shooters minutes for AR either.
Rony is a 20 a night guy. Moz will probably start again, Rony takes the backup role, as it was in the beginning, and hope for more consistency from Moz. He can play, just not scared.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
The garden gave Moz a Mvp chant when he was at the free throw line last night, lol. Moz proved his spot and we will see him back in the mix. Even when the other guys are back.

"I was ready to be in the situation on the bench. It wasnt great, but i was ready" -Moz

Moz knew he had to prove himself to get back into the lineup and last night was the perfect night to do it. And he did Going 23 and 14.

Now i just hope hes ready to keep up the pace, and not end up on the bench again next to Randolph. I believe now is his time and he is ready, the work he has done with the coaches for the past couple of months has payed off and he is now ready to play in the nba.

Randolph will continue to stay on the bench when Williams and Chandler come back. In almost 9 minutes he had 5 boards and went scoreless, but was mistake free i will give him that.

iSaYughh

Starter

Thanks for the 411, Nostradamus.

You and Red should really get into business together with this type of profound knowledge and insight.

After all, we've so much and so much quality out of Randolph, surely he will fill up the stats sheet.

Shame people like myself and Rono and others are too stupid to realize the magic formula: give him minutes! Why don't you send Mike a letter, he'll be so blown away by this wisdom he might just resign.

In all likelihood, Randolph will eventually get the minutes, if he isn't traded in a Melo deal. And when he does, he will show the same improvements in consistency and and NBA iq that Moz has.

We going to be in a playoff run, and our strength -- like PHO, isn't in the individual dominance of our players, but their overall cohesion, in a fairly fragile, but effective, system. When boom or bust players are going to be made critical parts of games and our success, you err on the side of safety and not reaching on their playing time.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Are we basing this off of one game? I don't know.

I don't know what kind of player Mozgov is. Hasn't seen him play in Russia, and I saw very little of him in America.

Not enough for me to assess him honestly.

iSaYughh

Starter
Wow! The only way Moz should've played is if someone (coach) was convinced he could play at the level he did last night? Smh. Just quit posting.

To play like last night, and to CONTRIBUTE, GAIN CONFIDENCE, SKILL, A SENSE OF BELONGING AND READNESS, are two different things.

Many have stated he should have at least had spot duties, and obviously many were on to something.

Exactly, Red. You're finally getting it, too. When a coach feels it's likely their project rookie can play with confidence and poise, and has been consistently improving in practice, they should then play whenever a good opportunity arises, and hope they can start playing up to their potential.

So, Moz has the game of his life, showing the holes in confidence and poise have been fixed. And reality dictates this end came from the way Mike D'antoni developed him.

Yet, we should really feel superior to MD, because in the workings of your feelings and dreams....Moz would have been doing this long ago?

One is a reality of success. The latter, an illogical illusion wrapped up in delusion of armchair qb grandeur.

I'll side with the former, and thank MD for another growing success within the success of this season.

Reactions: pat

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Ha.

Like I've been saying I've seen this kid do some nice things on the court. He probably wont get 23 points again this year, but the 14 rebounds is whats important. Given the minutes he can affect a game positively.

Oh Randolph had 5 boards (4 offensive) in nine minutes. So in summation: WE HAVE THE BIGS< THEY JUST NEED TO BE USED!!!

I would not bet against him if fact I would put money down that if given consistant Minutes say like 18-23 a Night He could average 10 & 10 and definately have another 23 point night before the Seasons over....I like the Gov.

That's called being a man and getting shit done as a professional.

Mike D isn't running an after school child care program for kids w special needs.

Glad you're starting to get the pictures. I think?

Actually, its called getting an opportunity and running with it despite the ignorance of your coach.

Let me know when you finally see the real picture...

pat

Starter
[...] the decision to play Mozgov was mostly Donnie's decision. Not having Williams and Chandler doesn't necessarily affect the center position

Thank God we have got you on this board. When exactly did your fireside chat with Donnie take place?

Thanks for the 411, Nostradamus.

You and Red should really get into business together with this type of profound knowledge and insight.

After all, we've so much and so much quality out of Randolph, surely he will fill up the stats sheet.

Shame people like myself and Rono and others are too stupid to realize the magic formula: give him minutes! Why don't you send Mike a letter, he'll be so blown away by this wisdom he might just resign.

In all likelihood, Randolph will eventually get the minutes, if he isn't traded in a Melo deal. And when he does, he will show the same improvements in consistency and and NBA iq that Moz has.

We going to be in a playoff run, and our strength -- like PHO, isn't in the individual dominance of our players, but their overall cohesion, in a fairly fragile, but effective, system. When boom or bust players are going to be made critical parts of games and our success, you err on the side of safety and not reaching on their playing time.

Nostradamus! Thanks. I'm glad you see I have whats called foresight. Its not difficult when looking at Moz and AR. It becomes much easier to see that they can help when our game in game out rebounding and in the paint defecencies are on display for all to see. I shouldnt say all, maybe for some of us to see would be better.

You and Rono were wrong. Admit it and move on. The kid said he's BEEN READY. After last night you have to take him for his word. I'm happy as heck to see egg all over MDA's face on this one. I mean it was just last week most of you and your crew called Moz a bum. Now dont get it twisted, he's no Superman, but he is definitely serviceable and can help this team win games. Far from being a bum, far from being "NOT READY".

A fragile system? You advocate such a system? Why? It may be good for the regular season when you have the perfect players running it. During crunch time, the playoffs when things tighten up, and you're playing the better teams in the league you need something tried and true. Know what that is? SIZE, DEFENSE, REBOUNDING.

I would not bet against him if fact I would put money down that if given consistant Minutes say like 18-23 a Night He could average 10 & 10 and definately have another 23 point night before the Seasons over....I like the Gov.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love this cat to be successful despite MDA's non-love for playing bigs. He may just save MDA's job in NY if he's successful.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Mozzy was straight balling last night. He was all over the place throwing down dunks and off missed shots puttin' them back in, even had a couple of open shots made too. Garden was crazy chanting his name at the end of it. I for one would love to see this Russian beast gettin' more minutes.

Kiyaman

Legend

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

News Flash: Amare was Dantoni's center throughout his tour in Phoenix.
3 months of Shaq and Dantoni lose his Phoenix job.

Dantoni is the last coach u want coaching new and young players into the NBA. To this day Dantoni has not prove to me he is a NBA headcoach.
Its not what u know its who u know. :smokin:

The Knicks only signed two starters this offseason.
Truth be said, there are only 3 starters on the Knicks 15 man roster.
Amare/Chandler/Felton
Certain Knick players have a better performance coming off the bench. Turiaf, Mozgov, and AR are decent 20 minute bigmen off the bench.

Did anyone ever take the time to think about.....
Mozgov started out slow in this game the same as he started out slow at the beginning of the season with new teammates, new rules, new (enviroment) country, and a new STUPID wide-open system that is not made for a halfcourt setting center.
Early in the season Mozgov was receiving odd amount of minutes per game, 6 min, 10 min, 4 min, 17 min, 8 min, 12 minutes, which means Mozgov was only receiving 5 to 6 minutes straight on the court per quarter, playing only 2 quarters per game.
Last night Mozgov missed his first 4 shots in a 5 minute span..... we seen AR ready to come in to replace Mozgov, but Mozgov got fouled and went to the foul-line, so AR had to replace AMARE.
Mozgov had room to do Mozgov when AMARE left the court.

I read all the post and certain factors on Mozgov performance no one mention

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kiyaman

Legend
What did Dantoni's arrival in New York have to do with Chandler and Gallo?
Walsh makes all the moves upstairs to help put this team in a position to win, obviously he felt Gallo would be a great compliment to our team at SF even though we had Chandler.

It has always been Dantoni's style to play his Pg's the most minutes he can get out of them. Who else do you think should handle the Pg position when Raymond is out, Douglas? We have a shortage of ball handlers and playmakers at the guard position. Haven't you noticed Donnie is looking for a BACK UP PG.

Who else did you expect Dantoni to play when we had no real bench and our raw players needed to be developed?
Did you want to see Mozgov at the beginning of the season dropping passes?
Or maybe AR shooting on 2on1 fast breaks and making bonehead passes?
Oh,Wait we did see that and went a whopping 3-8 or did you forget?

Maybe, just maybe these young guys got great coaching in practice and are know ready to help lift some of the duties off our starters.
:barf:

I had to stop reading your post when u added Donnie Walsh name.
Donnie Walsh dont have no control over Celebrity coach Dantoni's decision making on the court or with the players. $100M Amare have more control over Dantoni than Walsh.
If we didnt hire Dantoni we wouldnt have drafted a 17 year old Gallo

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
I asked another poster this and didnt get a reply. What isnt Moz ready for exactly?

I doubt you'll have an answer either...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This game will start the developing of Mozgov into the NBA