Mozgov should be getting consistent minutes..

skisloper

Starter
MoneyG is right. Timo would never have made it off th epine if it were not some fluke injures/suspensions/foul trouble.

D'Antoni is an idiot.

For anyone that disputes the facts that only top ten defensive teams have won championships for the last ten years -- look it up.

D'Antoni's offense pushes gaudy numbers, but it doesn't make players the best they can be. To suggest that Steve Nash is no longer the player he once was because of Antoni's absence is ridiculous -- the guy is just older and has a bad back. Plain and simple.

The question is -- after Mozgov's performance against Detroit -- how long has he been ready to play? If he could have done this a month ago, or even two weeks ago (before the 6 game slide), which I'm willing to bet he could... then D'Antoni messed up big time.

Randolph had 5 boards (four of which were offensive) in 7 minutes, and the poor kid won't get off the pine. You only learn by doing. Practice is not enough.

D'Antoni needs to go...

after watching 9 minutes of him in the first half seems like D"antonio was correct.....Guess u were right about Gallo as well...
and Wilson is hurt yet another season

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
OK. Someone that has played sports please answer this honestly for me. Someone that had some sort of talent on the field, court, diamond or rink. If you played only because your dad or your uncle coached your HS team no response necessary.

What would build your confidence more playing in a game or practicing against your team mates?

Also.

What would make you lose confidence more quickly, being benched or actually getting some PT?

Does Mozgov getting destroyed by the Garden crowd help him gain confidence? Does Mozgov getting posterized help him gain confidence? Does Mozgov fouling out within one quarter help him gain confidence?

It's more likely that throwing a player out there who is unprepared to play is going to destroy him emotionally. It's like taking a fat kid who wants to get in shape into a workout program where he has to run with the cross country team.

It's going to mentally destroy him to see people dominating him and making him look terrible time and time again when they're running miles at 5 minute paces and he's running a mile in 12 minutes because he's never done it before. He's not ready to play with the big boys yet. He needs to take some time so he can get in shape and get himself to a level where he's actually capable of competing with them, not just continue to run with them and see himself get beaten every single day.

I was high on Mozgov coming in. I bought into the hype and I was hoping for great things from him, and I think he can still be a good player. I also think he's ready to be a role player now.

But let's face it, starting him against Dwight Howard would've destroyed him. He would've gotten dominated so badly and fouled out all the while dropping passes that his conditioning and work ethic would suffer due to the lack of confidence. It's better that he took some time to concentrate on nothing but just work on his game and the basic skills knowing that all he had the focus on was improving.

moneyg

Starter
after watching 9 minutes of him in the first half seems like D"antonio was correct.....Guess u were right about Gallo as well...
and Wilson is hurt yet another season

Lets not do this.. go by two games..

one thing i can say.. Tmoz didnt lose the game for us..he did effect some shots and helped out on chandler... chandler would probaly had 20 rebounds if not for t moz.. and we still got outrebounded by 20.... we were horrible on defense.. just plain bad

if your keeping score.... tmoz is averaging 13.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in the last two game:teeth:

see how stats can be misleading...

Does Mozgov getting destroyed by the Garden crowd help him gain confidence? Does Mozgov getting posterized help him gain confidence? Does Mozgov fouling out within one quarter help him gain confidence?

It's more likely that throwing a player out there who is unprepared to play is going to destroy him emotionally. It's like taking a fat kid who wants to get in shape into a workout program where he has to run with the cross country team.

It's going to mentally destroy him to see people dominating him and making him look terrible time and time again when they're running miles at 5 minute paces and he's running a mile in 12 minutes because he's never done it before. He's not ready to play with the big boys yet. He needs to take some time so he can get in shape and get himself to a level where he's actually capable of competing with them, not just continue to run with them and see himself get beaten every single day.

I was high on Mozgov coming in. I bought into the hype and I was hoping for great things from him, and I think he can still be a good player. I also think he's ready to be a role player now.

But let's face it, starting him against Dwight Howard would've destroyed him. He would've gotten dominated so badly and fouled out all the while dropping passes that his conditioning and work ethic would suffer due to the lack of confidence. It's better that he took some time to concentrate on nothing but just work on his game and the basic skills knowing that all he had the focus on was improving.

First of all you didnt answer the question/s.

Second Moz played last night. I didnt see this destruction you speak of.

Third. Him playing against Howard is thousands of times better than him watching from the bench, or watching tape. No matter what the outcome is. If you cant understand the difference in actually playing against a player and watching I cant help you.

I remember a scrawny kid that the Pacers drafted. Rik Smits. Ewing absolutely abused him for a year or two. But then low and behold all that experience in actually PLAYING against Ewing took hold, and he was able to hold is own.

No matter how you slice it experience is always better than sitting on the side and watching...

nyk_nyk

All Star
dont even try to explain....the game in dallas showed that it was only ONE GAME....

Ok so I guess its back to the pine for him huh? See sh*t like this is why some guys are afraid to make a mistake so they don't play relaxed and in effect get down on themselves.

Precious Gallo got chance after chance during that horrible stretch when he was just camping out on the perimeter and launching bricks. As a player, you get better by knowing you will get the chance to prove yourself again immediately. Looking over your shoulder every damn game is no way to play.

Ok so I guess its back to the pine for him huh? See sh*t like this is why some guys are afraid to make a mistake so they don't play relaxed and in effect get down on themselves.

Precious Gallo got chance after chance during that horrible stretch when he was just camping out on the perimeter and launching bricks. As a player, you get better by knowing you will get the chance to prove yourself again immediately. Looking over your shoulder every damn game is no way to play.

So true...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
First of all you didnt answer the question/s.

Second Moz played last night. I didnt see this destruction you speak of.

Third. Him playing against Howard is thousands of times better than him watching from the bench, or watching tape. No matter what the outcome is. If you cant understand the difference in actually playing against a player and watching I cant help you.

I remember a scrawny kid that the Pacers drafted. Rik Smits. Ewing absolutely abused him for a year or two. But then low and behold all that experience in actually PLAYING against Ewing took hold, and he was able to hold is own.

No matter how you slice it experience is always better than sitting on the side and watching...

Of course Moz played last night, and I would've clamored for him to do so eventually. I'm just arguing that D'Antoni benching him at the start of the season wasn't an idea that didn't have merit behind it.

You also can't compare him to Rik Smits because Smits was already a pretty talented area in many aspects when he came into the league. His rookie season he averaged 1.8 blocks per game.

Mozgov wasn't at that point yet. Mozgov was extremely raw when he started out.

It's the same reason why a lot of rookies don't get playing time in their first season. They'll get limited playing time while they spend time with the coaching staff and learn how to play the game.

Let's also not forget that Smits had four years of experience with the American style of basketball cause he was a college player here. Mozgov is a Euro player and the style of basketball in Russia is entirely different than it is here. It's important for him to take time and learn the game.

Dirk Nowitzki only played in half of the Mavericks' games his rookie season. In those games he averaged 20 minutes per game and he only started 24 games. Why? Because he was a raw player who was entirely unaccustomed to the style of play in the United States and thus needed time to wise up and mature before he was inserted into the starting lineup.

Same goes for Mozgov. He had a good couple of months to sit and learn the game and work on his basic handling skills before he was ready to play. What's so bad about that?

For the record I'm not saying that benching him entirely was the best idea as I think he should've gotten playing time against some of the teams that killed us on the boards but we could've beaten otherwise (ie the KINGS, the SUNS), but there's a method behind D'Antoni's madness, that's all I'm trying to say.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Of course Moz played last night, and I would've clamored for him to do so eventually. I'm just arguing that D'Antoni benching him at the start of the season wasn't an idea that didn't have merit behind it.

You also can't compare him to Rik Smits because Smits was already a pretty talented area in many aspects when he came into the league. His rookie season he averaged 1.8 blocks per game.

It's the same reason why a lot of rookies don't get playing time in their first season. They'll get limited playing time while they spend time with the coaching staff and learn how to play the game.

Let's also not forget that Smits had four years of experience with the American style of basketball cause he was a college player here. Mozgov is a Euro player and the style of basketball in Russia is entirely different than it is here. It's important for him to take time and learn the game.

Dirk Nowitzki only played in half of the Mavericks' games his rookie season. In those games he averaged 20 minutes per game and he only started 24 games. Why? Because he was a raw player who was entirely unaccustomed to the style of play in the United States and thus needed time to wise up and mature before he was inserted into the starting lineup.

Same goes for Mozgov. He had a good couple of months to sit and learn the game and work on his basic handling skills before he was ready to play. What's so bad about that?

For the record I'm not saying that benching him entirely was the best idea as I think he should've gotten playing time against some of the teams that killed us on the boards but we could've beaten otherwise (ie the KINGS, the SUNS), but there's a method behind D'Antoni's madness, that's all I'm trying to say.

There is no method behind his madness besides the fact that he is playing for his job. I understand that, but he has hampered Mozgov's development because the kid didn't get playing time....

You can't learn to play NBA basketball simply by practicing and watching. Hell if that was the case I would be the best point guard the Knicks have ever seen. You need talent and ability (which Mozgov has and I don't) and actual consistent experience playing in NBA games (which I will never get -- and at this rate, Mozgov will neither).

This is not the only player D'Antoni's done this with either. Poor Bill Walker and Anthony Randoloph. Bill Walker shows some real potential then plays 3 minutes. Anthony Randolph may not be as effective, but you can't expect Randolph to come off the bench and play a masterful game without some actual game time.

D'Antoni doesn't seem to realize this. We lost the Mavs game last night for two reasons: Defense and Boarding. We were out boarded by twenty... You're not going to win a game being out boarded by so much -- even when your offense is running efficiently. We need Randolph and Mozgov out there, whether MD likes it or not.

Toons

is the Bo$$

:boohoo:

if you didnt watch, yes, it was back to the pine.
moz got appropriate minutes
this game proves that e is a liability against tyson chandler (lol @ assholes thinking he should guard dwight howard in his first month in the nba)
he still makes rookie mistakes that **** up a good run.
he is still raw....just admit it. we used him and he couldnt grab a board if you payed him.
im sure he will try harder next time

Toons

is the Bo$$

its like talking to a wall i swear

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
There is no method behind his madness besides the fact that he is playing for his job. I understand that, but he has hampered Mozgov's development because the kid didn't get playing time....

You can't learn to play NBA basketball simply by practicing and watching. Hell if that was the case I would be the best point guard the Knicks have ever seen. You need talent and ability (which Mozgov has and I don't) and actual consistent experience playing in NBA games (which I will never get -- and at this rate, Mozgov will neither).

This is not the only player D'Antoni's done this with either. Poor Bill Walker and Anthony Randoloph. Bill Walker shows some real potential then plays 3 minutes. Anthony Randolph may not be as effective, but you can't expect Randolph to come off the bench and play a masterful game without some actual game time.

D'Antoni doesn't seem to realize this. We lost the Mavs game last night for two reasons: Defense and Boarding. We were out boarded by twenty... You're not going to win a game being out boarded by so much -- even when your offense is running efficiently. We need Randolph and Mozgov out there, whether MD likes it or not.

Yes I would agree that we need them out there right now especially Randolph and Mozgov but I still think that the benching back in October was good for them.

Players need playing time to get better but in the case of Mozgov I think the benching was still good for him. You don't give a recently drafted raw player a starting spot...no, you start him off in practice and then when he improves you start giving him more time in the rotation...that's what most rookies have to do, is they ride the bench for a season getting minutes in garbage time and then they wait until their second season before they start seriously contributing.

The case with Randolph, on the other hand, I completely disagree with how D'Antoni handled it, but that's a different story. Randolph was already an NBA player for two years before this, he's shown that he can be a starter and yet D'Antoni didnt' even bother to give him a serious chance. Randolph deserves just as many chances as Gallo but Randolph didn't get them.

While I still see that he's immature the fact remains that D'Antoni judged him on 10 minutes/game for 8 games of playing time and a bad shooting percentage on like 40 shots which is extremely unfair. Didn't even give him minutes against the crappier teams.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Yes I would agree that we need them out there right now especially Randolph and Mozgov but I still think that the benching back in October was good for them.

Players need playing time to get better but in the case of Mozgov I think the benching was still good for him. You don't give a recently drafted raw player a starting spot...no, you start him off in practice and then when he improves you start giving him more time in the rotation...that's what most rookies have to do, is they ride the bench for a season getting minutes in garbage time and then they wait until their second season before they start seriously contributing.

The case with Randolph, on the other hand, I completely disagree with how D'Antoni handled it, but that's a different story. Randolph was already an NBA player for two years before this, he's shown that he can be a starter and yet D'Antoni didnt' even bother to give him a serious chance. Randolph deserves just as many chances as Gallo but Randolph didn't get them.

While I still see that he's immature the fact remains that D'Antoni judged him on 10 minutes/game for 8 games of playing time and a bad shooting percentage on like 40 shots which is extremely unfair. Didn't even give him minutes against the crappier teams.

Don't disagree with you that he was not a starter. Still isn't. But, I don't like the fact that he only played garbage minutes for the last three months. It was a bad decision by D'Antoni....

Toons

is the Bo$$
Don't disagree with you that he was not a starter. Still isn't. But, I don't like the fact that he only played garbage minutes for the last three months. It was a bad decision by D'Antoni....

wooooooooooooow
the ignorance is just retarded
3 months?
the dude was our starting centre for a month an a half for christs sake

I'm not comparing the players talents I'm comparing their situations. Bavk then the Pacers coach could have bench Smits for an entire season the way MDA is trying to do with Moz. It would have hindered Smits development not helped. He may have still developed into the same player but at a much slower pace.

I agree benching him entirely is insane...

MusketeerX

Rotation player
wooooooooooooow
the ignorance is just retarded
3 months?
the dude was our starting centre for a month an a half for christs sake

The last time Mozgov started for us was Nov. 16 against the Nuggets (and even before that D'Antoni was experimenting with different starting line-ups). That was essentially three weeks into the season (not a month and a half). Since then the kids hasn't played consistent minutes for about 2/1/2 months. I estimated without looking, but was pretty damn close if I do say so myself.

You have no idea what you're talking about. D'Antoni is an idiot, and fans who think we can get where we need to go on his coaching are just plain deluding themselves.

Toons

is the Bo$$
The last time Mozgov started for us was Nov. 16 against the Nuggets (and even before that D'Antoni was experimenting with different starting line-ups). That was essentially three weeks into the season (not a month and a half). Since then the kids hasn't played consistent minutes for about 2/1/2 months. I estimated without looking, but was pretty damn close if I do say so myself.

You have no idea what you're talking about. D'Antoni is an idiot, and fans who think we can get where we need to go on his coaching are just plain deluding themselves.

ok, take your head out of the sand for a second ok?
from october 3'd
moz averaged 25mpg in the preseason, and started EVERY game.
Up until nov. 27th mozgov got minutes.
his game where he had 2 minutes, he committed 3 fouls. the game he played 4 minutes, he had 3 turnovers. his minutes were justifiable.
from nov27th to jan 27th is a month, jan 30th he had 40 mins in the 1 good game. unlike you, i watched preseason, i commented and made threads for preseason.
MIKE GAVE MOZ A CHANCE.....GET IT THRU YOUR THICK FUKKIN SKULL.

Toons

is the Bo$$
and from october 3rd to nov 3rd is a month, mid november he lost his starting gig. so yes, he started for a month an a half