NBA Transactions Thread

tiger0330

Legend

Well I mean Phil tried or should I say Steve Mills tried but those picks have little value until some time passes. We needed picks for 2015 and 2016. I guess Phil is laying the groundwork for the next Pres/GM when his contract expires
Knowing Morey of Houston, he never gives up unprotected picks. I would think they're top 10 protected in the 2nd round.

Because Dragic mentioned 3 other teams he would play for, whereas Melo only wanted to play for us. Please don't beat me up for this logical reply. Hopefully this helps you to see the major difference

I think we've both proven we can be civil in our exchanges when we choose to be. I'm fairly certain that the Nets were very much in play for Melo when we traded for him, but this thread is definitely not about rehashing for the millionth time the Melo trade, so moving on.

skisloper

Starter
or Tyson for 4-6 1st rounders.... after all if that slow/useless Russian is worth '2' (or however it pans out), chandler is waaaay better then Moscow...

Yes in the end Phil messed up......

I am sure Cleveland would have taken Chandler over Mozgov. We would have been able to get 1 first rounder and throw JR smith in......

Sure we could have traded that 1st round pick and Shump/Felton for Reggie Jackson if we desired....

So yes would have been in much better space with total Cap room and Reggie Jackson on our team.....

Oh well.....Now we have worse problems as Melo's knee is worse then thought.....OH WELL.....

Broadway

All Star
I think we've both proven we can be civil in our exchanges when we choose to be. I'm fairly certain that the Nets were very much in play for Melo when we traded for him, but this thread is definitely not about rehashing for the millionth time the Melo trade, so moving on.

Melo had Jersey in the pocket for leverage and may have settled push came to shove(we do know Melo love his money). Otoh 2 teams in 1 general area is far different than 4 teams across the entire nation. Pat had to make the move because I believe Lakers and Knicks were ahead of the Heat on Dragic's potential signings wish list.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Dragic
Wade
Deng
Bosh
McRoberts

Why would a free agent come to NY? If MIA, ATL, or CLE have $$$?

Brilliant move by Riley.....he now has a team that can win the East,,,,,not saying they but hey they can.....For Riley thats a huge Ego boost

Melo had Jersey in the pocket for leverage and may have settled push came to shove(we do know Melo love his money). Otoh 2 teams in 1 general area is far different than 4 teams across the entire nation. Pat had to make the move to because I believe Lakers and Knicks were ahead of the Heat.

Not sure what the Lakers offered, but if the reported Knicks offer was THJ and Calderon, Miami had us beat by offering just one 1st round pick. Not sure how the second 1st round pick became necessary for Miami to close the deal, but it did and if we can act like we helped force that to happen then I'm okay with that.

Brilliant move by Riley.....he now has a team that can win the East,,,,,not saying they but hey they can.....For Riley thats a huge Ego boost

I agree with you to an extent, but the addition of Dragic to a team currently 8 games under 0.500 is only meaningful if they can get and keep their top guys healthy. Barring a huge run, they are teed up to face either Atlanta or Toronto in the 1st round and those are not squads you want to play with a team that only has had 30 games to get to play with each other. If they have a 1st round exit or don't even make the playoffs, I wonder if Riley will face any criticism for his aggressiveness. Then again, as long as Wade is on the roster, I guess Riley will continue to be aggressive regardless of the long term consequences.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend

Hey... I forgot to mention that Riley picked up that tall, promising center (Whiteside)... Just like that, he replaced Lebron with a solid wing player, an above average PG and a toug big with potential.

But Riley is a proven winner as an executive. Let's give Jax a chance before we judge his moves. Look at the Tyson Chandler trade... Melo wanted him out, he wasn't motivated to play here, was hurt, and was on a walk year. Jax didn't want any negative lingering over from the previous regime... He desperately wanted to dump Fatty Felton. It was obvious this team lacked a PG... After Kidd, we went from #2 in East to bad...

For TC we got Calderon. A solid, system PG who can shoot and protect the ball. Seemed like a fit for the triangle. But Calderon hurt himself and then aged, or just never got it going. Dalembert seemed like a decent replacement body at center... But he has the passion of Eddie Curry. Phil misjudged that.

But we did get Larkin too. Turns out he isn't what he appeared he could be as a prospect coming out of MIa... But he did get 2 second rounders in Early and Greek guy. On top of that, we were so bad this season we end up getting a top 3 pick. Maybe with TC we at an 8th seed... Is that better?

i take a lottery pick and early and Greek freak 2 over 2 mid to late 1st rounders.

Kiyaman

Legend
"@WojYahooNBA: Houston will send New York two second-round picks for Prigioni, source tells Yahoo."
"@IanBegley: The #Knicks their trade exception to complete the Prigioni-Shved deal, league source says."

I will miss the only Knicks player (Prigioni) that suited up every game with a relentless effort to win the past 3 seasons.
Phil got two 2nd rounders for Prigioni .. will Phil use these 2nd round picks for NBA ready players? or D. League players like Early & Anti

Phil still gets NO props until he trade Calderon contract TODAY for a 2nd rounder.

Hey... I forgot to mention that Riley picked up that tall, promising center (Whiteside)... Just like that, he replaced Lebron with a solid wing player, an above average PG and a toug big with potential.

But Riley is a proven winner as an executive. Let's give Jax a chance before we judge his moves. Look at the Tyson Chandler trade... Melo wanted him out, he wasn't motivated to play here, was hurt, and was on a walk year. Jax didn't want any negative lingering over from the previous regime... He desperately wanted to dump Fatty Felton. It was obvious this team lacked a PG... After Kidd, we went from #2 in East to bad...

For TC we got Calderon. A solid, system PG who can shoot and protect the ball. Seemed like a fit for the triangle. But Calderon hurt himself and then aged, or just never got it going. Dalembert seemed like a decent replacement body at center... But he has the passion of Eddie Curry. Phil misjudged that.

But we did get Larkin too. Turns out he isn't what he appeared he could be as a prospect coming out of MIa... But he did get 2 second rounders in Early and Greek guy. On top of that, we were so bad this season we end up getting a top 3 pick. Maybe with TC we at an 8th seed... Is that better?

i take a lottery pick and early and Greek freak 2 over 2 mid to late 1st rounders.

Not going to lie, I mainly like your assessment of things so far because I want to believe that we are going to start moving in the right direction as a franchise. Still, sure discouraging to think what we could have gotten out of Chandler and JR/Shump if we had played the game a little harder and not just been intent to move them as fast as possible.

Kiyaman

Legend

This move look like Ray Allen will resign with Miami for the post season games ..
There's no way Wade & Riley will resign Dragic above $10M if Heat dont make it to ECF

mafra

Legend
Not going to lie, I mainly like your assessment of things so far because I want to believe that we are going to start moving in the right direction as a franchise. Still, sure discouraging to think what we could have gotten out of Chandler and JR/Shump if we had played the game a little harder and not just been intent to move them as fast as possible.

I agree with you. Dont get me wrong; Dolan messed up Melo, then botched the Lowry deal, got played on the Bargnani deal... And this is the knicks we are talking about... They never get the better end of a deal.

Jax is a novice. He couldnt close the Kerr deal... Nothing he's done has proven to work... He sold low on TC, for sure. But I have to hope/believe part of that was bc he wanted to take a step back in order to move fwd this summer... And, to be honest, Calderon is still a viable piece if he is still here next season. Chandler was walking no matter what.

it makes me sick we gutted almost all of last year's team and have little to show for it, other than Calderon and a bunch of second rounders. Im not happy MIA found a gem....

but when I consider the Shump-JR situation... We never shouldve drafted Shump over Faired... And we should have dealt him for Lowry... By the time Phil arrived... Shump had little to no value. We couldve held on to JR and hope to get a better offer... But there was no guarantee that would ever come. We had to get JR's contract off the books... We never were going to re-sign Shump... So Phil took the sure thing.

a bad sign, to me, wouldve been if we dealt THjr anda first rounder for a soon to be free agent. As it turned out, MIA offered a better package for Dragic.

we will see if phil can lure a player... Close the deal. I just hope he doesnt pull a walsh... Bungle the draft and pay a guy money bc the music is about to end.

nothing wrong with being lousy again and saving cap space... Instead of giving marginal players semi-max deals.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I agree with you. Dont get me wrong; Dolan messed up Melo, then botched the Lowry deal, got played on the Bargnani deal... And this is the knicks we are talking about... They never get the better end of a deal.

Jax is a novice. He couldnt close the Kerr deal... Nothing he's done has proven to work... He sold low on TC, for sure. But I have to hope/believe part of that was bc he wanted to take a step back in order to move fwd this summer... And, to be honest, Calderon is still a viable piece if he is still here next season. Chandler was walking no matter what.

it makes me sick we gutted almost all of last year's team and have little to show for it, other than Calderon and a bunch of second rounders. Im not happy MIA found a gem....

but when I consider the Shump-JR situation... We never shouldve drafted Shump over Faired... And we should have dealt him for Lowry... By the time Phil arrived... Shump had little to no value. We couldve held on to JR and hope to get a better offer... But there was no guarantee that would ever come. We had to get JR's contract off the books... We never were going to re-sign Shump... So Phil took the sure thing.

a bad sign, to me, wouldve been if we dealt THjr anda first rounder for a soon to be free agent. As it turned out, MIA offered a better package for Dragic.

we will see if phil can lure a player... Close the deal. I just hope he doesnt pull a walsh... Bungle the draft and pay a guy money bc the music is about to end.

nothing wrong with being lousy again and saving cap space... Instead of giving marginal players semi-max deals.
Good post.

You actually made me think, yeah, Calderon is a good PG. He's solid, you know he's not gonna be wild like Felton, and he's a team player. Skip Bayless, who's a Spurs fans, when Calderon was injured and didn't make his Knick debut yet, said that he was scared of him during the Playoffs with the Mavericks last year because of his shooting.

Melo and Calderon could do some serious damage if they have a few solid/above average players as teammates and if they're healthy.

Sad to see Prigs go. I'd love to have him back.

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
with the shedding of prigs, i think we have roughly 36 million in cap now (after we dump shevd or resign him to a smaller contract)

since not today, i think phil will try to move calderon at the draft

skisloper

Starter
with the shedding of prigs, i think we have roughly 36 million in cap now (after we dump shevd or resign him to a smaller contract)

since not today, i think phil will try to move calderon at the draft

Phil could have just let the season played out but then again its tough to come in here and say tank......It tough to keep guys around that do not want to play with Melo and Melo with them since you do need to change the Karma....

The only thing is it seems every move was based on the decision Melo is our franchise player.....And so everything Phil did with that is in line......Now we have a PG in Calderon who with the right pieces will be good enough and we have Melo.....Plus we have a lottery pick in the draft.....all good things....

Now the issue is that we did all this around Melo and he is out for 6 months with a serious knee surgery......the question is if MELO never gets back to top form are we in for 4 more years no different then we had with AMARE......

mafra

Legend
Phil could have just let the season played out but then again its tough to come in here and say tank......It tough to keep guys around that do not want to play with Melo and Melo with them since you do need to change the Karma....

The only thing is it seems every move was based on the decision Melo is our franchise player.....And so everything Phil did with that is in line......Now we have a PG in Calderon who with the right pieces will be good enough and we have Melo.....Plus we have a lottery pick in the draft.....all good things....

Now the issue is that we did all this around Melo and he is out for 6 months with a serious knee surgery......the question is if MELO never gets back to top form are we in for 4 more years no different then we had with AMARE......

Exactly. But Amar 'e would never pull a selfish stunt, like Melo, and jeapordize the team by risking his health for next season to play injured and put off surgery for 1-2 months simply to play in a meaningless exhibition game.

The lottery selection will not be a major factor for 2-4 years... Okafor isn't stepping in right away and leading this team... Maybe Muliday and Russell, the PG, might help sooner... But by e time our lottery pick is an all star caliber player... Melo will be in his final contract year.

this certainly isn't a.... Hey, let's pair a 4th year senior in Patrick Ewing with Bernard King.

Wow, just wow. Bosh with pulmonary emboli and at risk to miss rest of season according to early internet report. Worst possible timing. What a swing of emotions for the Heat contingency.

tiger0330

Legend
The lottery selection will not be a major factor for 2-4 years... Okafor isn't stepping in right away and leading this team... Maybe Muliday and Russell, the PG, might help sooner... But by e time our lottery pick is an all star caliber player... Melo will be in his final contract year.

this certainly isn't a.... Hey, let's pair a 4th year senior in Patrick Ewing with Bernard King.
People forget that even when the Knicks drafted Ewing they had a below .300 record his first couple of years and he was a senior when the Knicks drafted him. Kids today come out at 19 so it probably takes a few more years before they're NBA ready.

Phil by signing Melo and giving him a no trade clause has boxed himself in, he's got to make a big splash in FA esp with no number one pick next year and the need to accelerate the rebuild in Melo's prime years.

mafra

Legend
People forget that even when the Knicks drafted Ewing they had a below .300 record his first couple of years and he was a senior when the Knicks drafted him. Kids today come out at 19 so it probably takes a few more years before they're NBA ready.

Phil by signing Melo and giving him a no trade clause has boxed himself in, he's got to make a big splash in FA esp with no number one pick next year and the need to accelerate the rebuild in Melo's prime years.

I think JAX decided to keep Melo b/c he realized NYK have plenty of cap space this summer, and he anticipates the cap dramatically going up in 2016... so Melo's cap hit in 2015,2016, 2017, & 2018 not a factor, one way or another. Having him on the roster makes it easier to rebuild via free agent route, while not hindering rebuilding if we fail to land free agents (see this season). I think Dolan left decision up to Phil, but voiced his opinion... and since losing Melo for little in return...IDK?

Maybe this is why he held on to Calderon. Hoping her lures his buddy Gasol to come to NY?

Good article over at theknicksblog.com... Knicks on 50+ games 2years ago. Melo the only player that remains... I knew a lot of that team's success built around vets (Kidd, Camby, Martin, Wallace, & Thomas) who were leaders... Still, hard to fathom that NYK mis-management flipped TC, Felton, JR, Shump, Novak, Priggs, Copeland, & Brewer and all they have to show for that moving fwd:

(1) Lost their 20176 1st pick & 2nd rounder in 2017 (for Bargnani);
(2) 3 2nd round picks to replace picks given away.
(3) Calderon, Early, Acy, & Greek freak 2, maybe LThomas & L Amundsun.
(4) Meanwhile, dumping 2015 commitments to Felton, JR, & Priggs for Calderson only saved NYK 5 mil in cap space... BUT... 11 mil wasn't a lock b/c Felton and JR have player options.

All in all, Phil showed zero patience. NYK didtnt gain enough... might have even added 5 mil instead. Who says those player pick up their options? Or we couldn't dump them as expiring deals this July?

HERE'S that article:

The Knicksadded more draft picks by trading Pablo Prigioni on Thursday than they did whenthey let J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert go to the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Let that onesink in for a moment.
In dealing the37-year-old Prigioni to the Houston Rockets, the Knicks added second-roundpicks in 2017 and 2019.
Draft picks arealways nice, although first-rounders are obviously much more valuable thansecond-rounders.
What did theKnicks get from Cleveland in exchange for Smith and Shumpert, two pieces whocould help LeBron and company challenge for an NBA title?
Cap relief,a second-round pick in 2019, two trade exceptions and several marginalplayers who won?t factor into the team?s long-term plans.
The TysonChandler deal, meantime, looks worse and worse every day, especially after thetrade deadline passed without the Knicks getting anything in exchange for JoseCalderon, whom the Knicks acquired in the Chandler deal, along with ShaneLarkin and Sam Dalembert, neither of whom will be on the team next season.
?Is there a hueand cry from other teams for Jose in a trade possibility?? Knicks PresidentPhil Jackson said Wednesday. ?No, there hasn?t been?And we?re not out sellingJose sticker to passing cars.?
The Knicks didget two 2014 second-round picks in the Chandler deal, which they used onCleanthony Early (who has yet to prove he?s a solid rotation player)and Thanasis Antetokounmpo (a project who?s still in the D-League butcould soon be brought up).
If the Knicksstill had Chandler, perhaps they could have packaged him in a deal (along withCalderon and Tim Hardaway Jr.) for impending free agent Goran Dragic, who willarrive at Madison Square Garden tonight in a Miami Heat uniform.
So to sum up:The Knicks didn?t get a single first-round pick in exchange for Chandler,a recent Defensive Player of the Year winner, Smith, a recent Sixth Man of theYear winner, and Shumpert, a promising young defensive player.
The Knicksstill don?t have a first- or second-round pick in 2016 (but they do have AndreaBargnani, so there?s that.)
They also don?tcurrently have a second-round pick in 2015.
So whileJackson has created about $30 million in cap space with his recent flurry oftrades, the Knicks still have only one first-round pick until 2017.
By contrast,the Celtics? Danny Ainge acquired eight players, three first-round picks and apair of second-round picks in five trades dating back to last July.
All of thisunderscores how critical the Knicks first-round pick this year will be.
They currentlyhave the worst record in the NBA (10-43) and a 25 percent chance to land theNo. 1 pick, projected to be Duke?s Jahlil OKafor.
The Knicks needjust about everything going forward, so even if they don?t get Okafor, theycould still do well to land a point guard like Emmanuel Mudiay, now playing inChina, or Kentucky big man Karl-Anthony Towns of New Jersey, who some believe has a higher upside than Okafor.
?I will go outand see some [college] games in the last part of the season here,? Jackson saidWednesday.
Imagine whatthe future could hold for the Knicks if they had added a few more first-roundpicks.

Adam Zagoria isa Basketball Insider for SNY.tv. You can follow him on Twitter.

tiger0330

Legend
I think JAX decided to keep Melo b/c he realized NYK have plenty of cap space this summer, and he anticipates the cap dramatically going up in 2016... so Melo's cap hit in 2015,2016, 2017, & 2018 not a factor, one way or another. Having him on the roster makes it easier to rebuild via free agent route, while not hindering rebuilding if we fail to land free agents (see this season). I think Dolan left decision up to Phil, but voiced his opinion... and since losing Melo for little in return...IDK?

Maybe this is why he held on to Calderon. Hoping her lures his buddy Gasol to come to NY?

Good article over at theknicksblog.com... Knicks on 50+ games 2years ago. Melo the only player that remains... I knew a lot of that team's success built around vets (Kidd, Camby, Martin, Wallace, & Thomas) who were leaders... Still, hard to fathom that NYK mis-management flipped TC, Felton, JR, Shump, Novak, Priggs, Copeland, & Brewer and all they have to show for that moving fwd:

(1) Lost their 20176 1st pick & 2nd rounder in 2017 (for Bargnani);
(2) 3 2nd round picks to replace picks given away.
(3) Calderon, Early, Acy, & Greek freak 2, maybe LThomas & L Amundsun.
(4) Meanwhile, dumping 2015 commitments to Felton, JR, & Priggs for Calderson only saved NYK 5 mil in cap space... BUT... 11 mil wasn't a lock b/c Felton and JR have player options.

All in all, Phil showed zero patience. NYK didtnt gain enough... might have even added 5 mil instead. Who says those player pick up their options? Or we couldn't dump them as expiring deals this July?

HERE'S that article:

The Knicksadded more draft picks by trading Pablo Prigioni on Thursday than they did whenthey let J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert go to the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Let that onesink in for a moment.
In dealing the37-year-old Prigioni to the Houston Rockets, the Knicks added second-roundpicks in 2017 and 2019.
Draft picks arealways nice, although first-rounders are obviously much more valuable thansecond-rounders.
What did theKnicks get from Cleveland in exchange for Smith and Shumpert, two pieces whocould help LeBron and company challenge for an NBA title?
Cap relief,a second-round pick in 2019, two trade exceptions and several marginalplayers who won’t factor into the team’s long-term plans.
The TysonChandler deal, meantime, looks worse and worse every day, especially after thetrade deadline passed without the Knicks getting anything in exchange for JoseCalderon, whom the Knicks acquired in the Chandler deal, along with ShaneLarkin and Sam Dalembert, neither of whom will be on the team next season.
“Is there a hueand cry from other teams for Jose in a trade possibility?” Knicks PresidentPhil Jackson said Wednesday. “No, there hasn’t been…And we’re not out sellingJose sticker to passing cars.”
The Knicks didget two 2014 second-round picks in the Chandler deal, which they used onCleanthony Early (who has yet to prove he’s a solid rotation player)and Thanasis Antetokounmpo (a project who’s still in the D-League butcould soon be brought up).
If the Knicksstill had Chandler, perhaps they could have packaged him in a deal (along withCalderon and Tim Hardaway Jr.) for impending free agent Goran Dragic, who willarrive at Madison Square Garden tonight in a Miami Heat uniform.
So to sum up:The Knicks didn’t get a single first-round pick in exchange for Chandler,a recent Defensive Player of the Year winner, Smith, a recent Sixth Man of theYear winner, and Shumpert, a promising young defensive player.
The Knicksstill don’t have a first- or second-round pick in 2016 (but they do have AndreaBargnani, so there’s that.)
They also don’tcurrently have a second-round pick in 2015.
So whileJackson has created about $30 million in cap space with his recent flurry oftrades, the Knicks still have only one first-round pick until 2017.
By contrast,the Celtics’ Danny Ainge acquired eight players, three first-round picks and apair of second-round picks in five trades dating back to last July.
All of thisunderscores how critical the Knicks first-round pick this year will be.
They currentlyhave the worst record in the NBA (10-43) and a 25 percent chance to land theNo. 1 pick, projected to be Duke’s Jahlil OKafor.
The Knicks needjust about everything going forward, so even if they don’t get Okafor, theycould still do well to land a point guard like Emmanuel Mudiay, now playing inChina, or Kentucky big man Karl-Anthony Towns of New Jersey, who some believe has a higher upside than Okafor.
“I will go outand see some [college] games in the last part of the season here,” Jackson saidWednesday.
Imagine whatthe future could hold for the Knicks if they had added a few more first-roundpicks.

Adam Zagoria isa Basketball Insider for SNY.tv. You can follow him on Twitter.
Good article, lol "Is there a hue and cry from other teams for Jose in a trade possibility?” Knicks PresidentPhil Jackson said Wednesday. “No, there hasn’t been…And we’re not out selling Jose stickers to passing cars.”

A lot of PG's were moved yesterday but Phil could not trade Calderon, I thought someone would take him because he's a 3 pt sniper and takes care of the balll but the combination of his defense, contract and age made him unattractive to teams it seems.