Official Trade Rumors Thread

Channing Fry to CLE

Interesting part of all this to me is Anderson Varejao goes to Orlando and then sent to Portland where he will likely be waived. The guy goes from being an incredibly long tenured Cav who waited out the non-Lebron years to essentially jobless.

Also of note, sounds like former Knick fan favorite is getting traded from Oklahoma City to Denver in a minor deal and he will also likely get released.

Broadway

All Star
Also of note, sounds like former Knick fan favorite is getting traded from Oklahoma City to Denver in a minor deal and he will also likely get released.

This was one I was going to touch on...OKC saved $9.4mil between Taxes and Salary, but look at the value Denver got for a scrub?

tiger0330

Legend
This is PJ's second year in charge and looks like he hasn't put anyone on this team that anybody wants other than Porzingis. A lot of ththese deals included draft picks and the Knicks don't have a lot of those either.

I read something about Jimmer being brought up after the deadline and I hope that's true. Not sure if he makes a difference even with him putting up 35 pts at the ASG. He's more a SG and not a PG, doesn't have a great handle nor quick, athletic and not a great defender but the Knicks have a roster spot and need to do something to try to improve this team.

mafra

Legend
"We have talented players," Rambis said. "We need those guys playing really hard, really focused and together very well."

He added: "We hand-picked all these players. These are guys we wanted. We know this isn't a finished product, we have to continue to improve. But we picked all these guys and we like them and now we're trying to develop them and work with them."

The Knicks seem to have a glaring need for an upgrade at the point guard position, but will roll with the 34-year-old-Calderon going forward.

"We compare position by position or player by player, I already say I lost every battle in that situation," Calderon said. "I'm not going to score more points than a lot of point guards in this league. I'm a different kind of player, so it happens. We have to deal with it. It's no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks, but it is what it is."

The Knicks do have an open 15th roster spot and Rambis indicated the team is open to filling it...

"There's players that without mentioning who they are, there's players that we've kept our on eye that we might bring in," Rambis said. "We know we've got that open roster spot and there are guys that we can take a better look at in practice and see how they fit in with everybody else."

paris401

Starter
''The guy goes from being an incredibly long tenured Cav who waited out the non-Lebron years to essentially jobless.''

the guy is being paid 9.7m this year and is under contract for next at 9.3m... yep he's ...jobless all rite...

Broadway

All Star

While many say "whew glad Phil didn't cave", IMO it shows more of what he isn't capable of doing still and nothing has changed since he's been here. Teams are looking to bodybag us.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

While many say "whew glad Phil didn't cave", IMO it shows more of what he isn't capable of doing still and nothing has change since he's been here. Teams are looking to bodybag us.
The Rox traded DMo and Thornton for Joel Anthony and a protected 1st and Morey wanted what for PatBev? Morey is certifiable....

mafra

Legend
Even more so since they feel (1) He wants a quick fix bc he isn't in for the long haul & (2) because of his first trade with DAL.

The TC trade blew up in his face ONLY b/c the perception is we could've gotten more for TC if we waited until the trade deadline (aka Mozgov deal).

But... This is Monday morning QBing... Right or wrong, Phil identified Felton and TC as the main reason the locker room fell apart. Melo and TC relationship strained after the Indy series...

But... Look at TC now. An overpaid bum. We weren't going to keep him, and he only played well in DAL bc that team is well-coached, has Dirk, and TC was looking for his last mega contract.

Felton had to go... Even if you concede that Felton is the better player this year and we're stuck with JC's contract for next year... At the time, getting a young Larkin and Jose appeared to be an upgrade over Fatty unmotivated Felton.

JAX badly underestimated how Dalembert was a skinnier version of Eddy Curry (doesn't like BBall all that much) and we swung and missed with both draft picks... Which, ironically enough suggests that waiting until Feb to deal TC to get 2 late first round draft picks... Doesn't mean much if you end up with busts.

Then came the Shumpert-Smith trades. For all this chatter of how Melo doesn't make people better (still not hearing whose career he's hurt)... Look at Shump and JR in CLE... Even the great Lebron can't get much more out of those 2... At least Phil got back LT.

-----

Back to the point tho... Phil has to establish that things have changed in NYK... They won't hand away draft picks... Give away assets... Take back bad contracts... He has to prove he can say "no" and won't pay 1.50 on the dollar.

I, for 1, am glad we didn't make a deal (costing us draft picks or even our Euro stash big man)... We aren't going anywhere this season... A Beverly, Martin, Lawson wasn't putting us over the top...

Endure a few more months and then improve the roster come this summer. Maybe we get a couple players... Maybe we make deals then, when the market is more affordable to browse around in.

Now... Don't take this as a defense of what Phil has accomished so far... This is his roster and its underwhelming to average at best... But at least we have players that have heart and we have the semblance of a foundation. It'll be amazing the turnaround if they can manage to grab a Teague or Conley this summer.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The Rox traded DMo and Thornton for Joel Anthony and a protected 1st and Morey wanted what for PatBev? Morey is certifiable....

Knicks don't have a first rounder this year... So... Not sure how accurate this report is... Was it our 2017? Can we even trade that? Do we have a 2018?

(NY post)

Jackson?s Bulls didn?t make many deals at the trade deadline. According to a source, one thought process by the Knicks was adding a player in a lateral talent move could backfire because of the complexities of the triangle offense.

The Knicks were hoping to juice up the backcourt, particularly at point guard, but not having a first-round pick in the coming years to throw into any deal was their biggest liability, according to sources.

The latest target, according to a report, was Minnesota shooting guard Kevin Martin. The Knicks had monitored point guards Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and even Shabazz Napier. There has been speculation Lawson or Martin could be waived, but that seems a longshot.

Last edited:
''The guy goes from being an incredibly long tenured Cav who waited out the non-Lebron years to essentially jobless.''

the guy is being paid 9.7m this year and is under contract for next at 9.3m... yep he's ...jobless all rite...

I thought his future money wasn't guaranteed, my mistake if it is guaranteed. Either way, he likely won't be on an NBA roster very soon.

Broadway

All Star

Was Morey asking for a little bit extra from us sure, but who's more in need considering circumstances at hand. Does Houston need more cap fodder or do we need a point guard more?

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Knicks don't have a first rounder this year... So... Not sure how accurate this report is... Was it our 2017? Can we even trade that? Do we have a 2018?

(NY post)

Jackson’s Bulls didn’t make many deals at the trade deadline. According to a source, one thought process by the Knicks was adding a player in a lateral talent move could backfire because of the complexities of the triangle offense.

The Knicks were hoping to juice up the backcourt, particularly at point guard, but not having a first-round pick in the coming years to throw into any deal was their biggest liability, according to sources.

The latest target, according to a report, was Minnesota shooting guard Kevin Martin. The Knicks had monitored point guards Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and even Shabazz Napier. There has been speculation Lawson or Martin could be waived, but that seems a longshot.

The first available pick we could trade(of any real value) is our 2018 1st. I've longed stated if Phil fulfills his job to expectation then the 2018 1st shouldn't have that high of value on our end. But of course one of the major reasons we're not willing to give it up doesn't have more than necessary to think we've been trading picks for yrs, it has to do with the fact we're not showing any signs of being good for the foreseeable future, even by 2018.

The 2018 1st should have been anchored to Calderon moons ago. We would already be past this major road block stage by now.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Even more so since they feel (1) He wants a quick fix bc he isn't in for the long haul & (2) because of his first trade with DAL.

The TC trade blew up in his face ONLY b/c the perception is we could've gotten more for TC if we waited until the trade deadline (aka Mozgov deal).

But... This is Monday morning QBing... Right or wrong, Phil identified Felton and TC as the main reason the locker room fell apart. Melo and TC relationship strained after the Indy series...

But... Look at TC now. An overpaid bum. We weren't going to keep him, and he only played well in DAL bc that team is well-coached, has Dirk, and TC was looking for his last mega contract.

Felton had to go... Even if you concede that Felton is the better player this year and we're stuck with JC's contract for next year... At the time, getting a young Larkin and Jose appeared to be an upgrade over Fatty unmotivated Felton.

JAX badly underestimated how Dalembert was a skinnier version of Eddy Curry (doesn't like BBall all that much) and we swung and missed with both draft picks... Which, ironically enough suggests that waiting until Feb to deal TC to get 2 late first round draft picks... Doesn't mean much if you end up with busts.

Then came the Shumpert-Smith trades. For all this chatter of how Melo doesn't make people better (still not hearing whose career he's hurt)... Look at Shump and JR in CLE... Even the great Lebron can't get much more out of those 2... At least Phil got back LT.

-----

Back to the point tho... Phil has to establish that things have changed in NYK... They won't hand away draft picks... Give away assets... Take back bad contracts... He has to prove he can say "no" and won't pay 1.50 on the dollar.

I, for 1, am glad we didn't make a deal (costing us draft picks or even our Euro stash big man)... We aren't going anywhere this season... A Beverly, Martin, Lawson wasn't putting us over the top...

Endure a few more months and then improve the roster come this summer. Maybe we get a couple players... Maybe we make deals then, when the market is more affordable to browse around in.

Now... Don't take this as a defense of what Phil has accomished so far... This is his roster and its underwhelming to average at best... But at least we have players that have heart and we have the semblance of a foundation. It'll be amazing the turnaround if they can manage to grab a Teague or Conley this summer.

We got offered 1st round picks for Tyson and Shumpert along with other decent value from...

Dallas
OKC
Clippers
Tor
Warriors

Denver and Lakers were the other teams but that was on Grunwald's watch I believe.

Phil turned all these offers down and/or did not finesse his way enough to strike meaningful deals. It really doesn't matter what these players went on to do, once he did rid ourselves of them. It only matters what could have helped us achieve our goals with premium results(whatever they may be), because I'm not sure anyone at this point can adequately explain what we're doing and where we're going as a franchise.

paris401

Starter
I'm not sure anyone at this point can adequately explain what we're doing and where we're going as a franchise.

how true.... I great coach (with great players), does not equal a great GM... just like a great player (mj) could be a $hitty judge of talent...