Official Trade Rumors Thread

Broadway

All Star
None of those things happened. We could sign Durant this offseason and obviously that would change everything, but that's not going to happen. You can't agree with me that we are unlikely to make big splashes and then criticize how I say we should hoard our 1st round picks because we are likely to keep the stink going.

I get what you're saying but if we actually made our 2018 1st available to dump someone like Calderon, you just don't know what it could fetch. I don't really consider any of the above moves as big splashes nor are any of them incredibly realistic but that pick should be(should've been) on the table. We did not hire Phil at a tune of $60mil to make sit on his hands decisions.

Could've probably anchor that pick to Calderon/Afflalo and maximize on cap space. I bet Affalo opts in, in the summer(YUCK!)

paris401

Starter
Appears we will have closure this summer. If Melo cannot recruit KD or others to come here... He'll let PJ trade him (and this summer a BOS-CLE-NYK trade seems obvious)... Boston gets Love. CLE gets Melo. NYK gets lottery pick plus whatever.

I don't see how swapping love for Me-Lo gets the cav's any closer to golden star, or for that matter the spurs...if Me-Lo is an upgrade, and I don't see it that way, its so minor not to make a difference..

mafra

Legend
I don't see how swapping love for Me-Lo gets the cav's any closer to golden star, or for that matter the spurs...if Me-Lo is an upgrade, and I don't see it that way, its so minor not to make a difference..

Melo is clearly the better player... Not by leaps and bounds, but come on.... Love is so bad on defense he's a liability that opponent's exploit. If Melo isn't a winner, then what do you say about Love? Dude never made playoffs in MIN.

But, as to your question: Lebron is running the Cavs. Not much chemistry or connection between Love and James. If they fail again this year, Lebron will probably see Love as the scapegoat. Cavs don't have many options....

Melo is playing his best all-around bball of his career. Melo can, and will, play some defense when motivated... But, the main reason this happens... James likes Melo. James wants Love gone. Even if this is a lateral move, it's something LJ would approve of.

Melo as the third option? After James and Irving? That would be something to behold next year... Especially if Durant goes to GSW.

Just read online that Jahlil Okafor from the Sixers was the big player that Danny Ainge claims he was about to acquire before the other team got 'cold feet'. Ainge did a great job last trade deadline acquiring Isiah Thomas, but didn't do much of anything this year with the team in a position to potentially make a playoff run. I'm guessing he felt the need to tip his hand about the trade he 'almost made' to counter potential criticism against him. Otherwise, doesn't make much sense to let people know what players you had targeted.

paris401

Starter
Melo is clearly the better player... Not by leaps and bounds, but come on.... Love is so bad on defense he's a liability that opponent's exploit. If Melo isn't a winner, then what do you say about Love? Dude never made playoffs in MIN..

I agree that Me-Lo is better in some respects... no question.. BUT he will not be a better rebounder then luv, and doesn't demand the ball nearly as much as Me-Lo.. I agree that it seems the chemistry sucks between bron-irving and luv... but I don't think it improves with Me-Lo...

as to being a 'winner'... imo neither guy is one... luv was never considered a superstar, and Me-Lo has never made any one around him a better player...

Broadway

All Star
Just read online that Jahlil Okafor from the Sixers was the big player that Danny Ainge claims he was about to acquire before the other team got 'cold feet'. Ainge did a great job last trade deadline acquiring Isiah Thomas, but didn't do much of anything this year with the team in a position to potentially make a playoff run. I'm guessing he felt the need to tip his hand about the trade he 'almost made' to counter potential criticism against him. Otherwise, doesn't make much sense to let people know what players you had targeted.

He did not name drop it's league sources trying to read between the tea leaves on who was targeting. While Okafor is a good guess(seems likely) Ainge doesn't/didn't have to make a move. I would have if I were him but there were some difficult circumstances he was dealing with. At least Ainge put his prized asset on the block....unlike Phil on some unknown value pick in 2018. Ainge also offered Jordan a crap load of draft picks this past draft for pick 9 once again a major willingness to take a risk.

Ainge's team has improved they are a Top 4 squad moves not an absolute must, outside of simply having too many assets on hand...He can still make moves on draft night or during the summer with them.

Broadway

All Star
I agree that Me-Lo is better in some respects... no question.. BUT he will not be a better rebounder then luv, and doesn't demand the ball nearly as much as Me-Lo.. I agree that it seems the chemistry sucks between bron-irving and luv... but I don't think it improves with Me-Lo...

as to being a 'winner'... imo neither guy is one... luv was never considered a superstar, and Me-Lo has never made any one around him a better player...

If Love was used like he should be used and/or told to play to his strengths it's really close to a wash between the two.

mafra

Legend
If Love was used like he should be used and/or told to play to his strengths it's really close to a wash between the two.

I'm only thinking the move is possible b/c of the Lebron-Melo relationship. We shall see how CLE plays this spring tho... See how Love handles himself.

GSW get away with playing small... Green at C... I think CLE would be nasty with Kyrie, Lebron, Melo, Thompson. Get a shooter for that 4some... They would be tough to beat.

BOS (Ainge) would give us picks if they can get love... NYK could hopefully get either Simmons, Ingram, Dunn, or Heild plus another asset (Evan Turner perhaps, Sullinger maybe)...

Anyway... Maybe clouds part and we catch a miracle and Durant and Rondo decide to come to NY to win a title with Melo and KP... Somebody, somehow, takes Quinn and Calderon off our hands.

This is why we need to focus on showcasing Grant, LT, DW, LG, and even Jimmer... Try to make somebody look enticing... Maybe that helps us dump JC.

I am torn. I hear decent things in Shaw. But I think Thibideau would be excellent pairing with KP and Grant. I am looking forward to see how it breaks down come summertime. But, if Melo cannot recruit free agent help... And if after that he doesn't budge and won't let us trade him... Then I would explain to Melo that I won't be helping him chase a ring in the future...

Like you said... If PJ won't sacrifice the 2018 pick (which we hope is a late first round selection)... Then it's time to go full-fledge rebuild this summer if once again we fail to recruit the top dawgs.

We cannot try to rebuild around KP while getting the AA and RL of the world... Not next year, when we have a draft pick.

Best case scenario, if Durant doesn't come here, is to trade Melo for a top draft pick... Have that kid and KP and the youth learn and grow next year... Get another lottery pick... Then we are set with 3 Hi lottery picks... That's how you rebuild.

He did not name drop it's league sources trying to read between the tea leaves on who was targeting. While Okafor is a good guess(seems likely) Ainge doesn't/didn't have to make a move. I would have if I were him but there were some difficult circumstances he was dealing with. At least Ainge put his prized asset on the block....unlike Phil on some unknown value pick in 2018. Ainge also offered Jordan a crap load of draft picks this past draft for pick 9 once again a major willingness to take a risk.

Ainge's team has improved they are a Top 4 squad moves not an absolute must, outside of simply having too many assets on hand...He can still make moves on draft night or during the summer with them.

Dude, you have to play it fair both ways. Ainge has shamelessly failed to get Love for forever now. He couldn't close this 'shocking blockbuster' deal at the deadline and to save face, he made sure he told the press that it was because the other team got 'cold feet'. Ainge won last year's trade deadline, but underachieved this year's trade deadline. He knows they need a major piece to have any chance of winning the East and he couldn't do it. If the goal is a 2nd round playoff exit then yeah, a move wasn't an absolute must. But c'mon, when you are a 3 seed, the goal is no longer next season.

paris401

Starter
I am looking forward to see how it breaks down come summertime. But, if Melo cannot recruit free agent help... And if after that he doesn't budge and won't let us trade him... Then I would explain to Melo that I won't be helping him chase a ring in the future...

so if he refuses a trade, we go into the $hitter on purpose???... guess that wouldn't be tooo hard as we are pretty close to the toilet now...and we're trying...

if he does accept a trade, don't we need to take back equal (or almost) salary??... its a mess... but it could be worse... we could be the nets...oh wait..they beat us the other nite...

mafra

Legend
SHARE YOUR TRADE

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gumgnjn

Trade is successful if we take back Amir Johnson, Sullinger, and Jerebko.

I'm sure if there is a will there is a way.

Broadway

All Star
Dude, you have to play it fair both ways. Ainge has shamelessly failed to get Love for forever now. He couldn't close this 'shocking blockbuster' deal at the deadline and to save face, he made sure he told the press that it was because the other team got 'cold feet'. Ainge won last year's trade deadline, but underachieved this year's trade deadline. He knows they need a major piece to have any chance of winning the East and he couldn't do it. If the goal is a 2nd round playoff exit then yeah, a move wasn't an absolute must. But c'mon, when you are a 3 seed, the goal is no longer next season.

First of all Ainge has traded and won more on trades past 3yrs than maybe the whole league combined. He traded away legends/HOFers/prime talent. He hired one of the best young coaches and maybe coaches in general in the league. He started rebuilding 2-3yrs ago. His team has gotten better every since. They are now a Top 4 team in the east and have been one of the Top 10 teams in the league winning since second half of last yr. They only won 42gms last yr, you act like they've been at the Top for yrs, they haven't.

Boston has been on a steady progression of improvement and there is nor rule that says they have to make a move in any particular instant of time. The key is they are clearly in position to do so, have offered up some of the very best they have and haven't killed their opportunity to close a deal. Ainge is not under any obligation to win and make big splashes every trade deadline, he is tried and true up to this point.

Not even close or remotely the same as to the position Phil has us in and his inability/unwillingness to gather/collect offer up the best of what we have.

Yeah Ainge wanted to recruit Love and possibly trade for him and maybe he wanted Horford but leaking stuff on trades is nothing new from Ainge or any other GM. Our rumor got leaked on Kyle Lowry, DeMarcus Cousins rumor got leaked this summer, Blake Griffin rumor got leaked it happens. Ainge has been doing this since becoming a GM...he leaked/spoke on the rumor of dealing Paul Pierce to Portland, he leaked/spoke on his rumor this summer of trading all those pick to Charlotte for pick 9.

He's just a GM that gives some insight and perspective on trades but know this after this postseason/their run concludes this summer with more clarity, dollars to donuts he gets something done in a major way before any other GM.

John Barry is the one who made public commenting on the trade, on air well before Ainge spoke on it. You then have to consider Agents they know when their client is being dangled as a sacrificial lamb or highly pursued, they leak stuff too.

Trust Ainge is not sour graping over not getting Okafor, he clearly admitted there was risk in such a trade. Also to note even had both teams agreed without a back out, who says Okafor is that final piece for Boston? I do feel they'll have to make a move soon enough and they will.

Last edited:
First of all Ainge has traded and won more on trades past 3yrs than maybe the whole league combined. He traded away legends/HOFers/prime talent. He hired one of the best young coaches and maybe coaches in general in the league. He started rebuilding 2-3yrs ago. His team has gotten better every since. They are now a Top 4 team in the east and have been one of the Top 10 teams in the league winning since second half of last yr. They only won 42gms last yr, you act like they've been at the Top for yrs, they haven't.

Boston has been on a steady progression of improvement and there is nor rule that says they have to make a move in any particular instant of time. The key is they are clearly in position to do so, have offered up some of the very best they have and haven't killed their opportunity to close a deal. Ainge is not under any obligation to win and make big splashes every trade deadline, he is tried and true up to this point.

Not even close or remotely the same as to the position Phil has us in and his inability/unwillingness to gather/collect offer up the best of what we have.

Yeah Ainge wanted to recruit Love and possibly trade for him and maybe he wanted Horford but leaking stuff on trades is nothing new from Ainge or any other GM. Our rumor got leaked on Kyle Lowry, DeMarcus Cousins rumor got leaked this summer, Blake Griffin rumor got leaked it happens. Ainge has been doing this since becoming a GM...he leaked/spoke on the rumor of dealing Paul Pierce to Portland, he leaked/spoke on his rumor this summer of trading all those pick to Charlotte for pick 9.

He's just a GM that gives some insight and perspective on trades but know this after this postseason/their run concludes this summer with more clarity, dollars to donuts he gets something done in a major way before any other GM.

John Barry is the one who made public commenting on the trade, on air well before Ainge spoke on it. You then have to consider Agents they know when their client is being dangled as a sacrificial lamb or highly pursued, they leak stuff too.

Trust Ainge is not sour graping over not getting Okafor, he clearly admitted there was risk in such a trade. Also to note even had both teams agreed without a back out, who says Okafor is that final piece for Boston? I do feel they'll have to make a move soon enough and they will.

I don't disagree with any of your points about Ainge prior to this trade deadline. He has been a great GM for Boston.

I still feel he gets a bad grade for this trade deadline. He clearly wanted to make a move to take this team to the Cleveland/Toronto tier in the East and couldn't make it happen. Go and read his quote about how he revealed to the press that he had a huge deal lined up and the other team backed out and tell me it doesn't sound like someone trying to save face and pin the blame on someone else.

I do feel there is a double standard on these forums though. I think you personally would have killed PJ for getting literally nothing for David Lee.

Our front office stinks. That's not the issue. But it doesn't mean that I can't criticize one trade deadline's worth of action from a better front office.

Broadway

All Star
I don't disagree with any of your points about Ainge prior to this trade deadline. He has been a great GM for Boston.

I still feel he gets a bad grade for this trade deadline. He clearly wanted to make a move to take this team to the Cleveland/Toronto tier in the East and couldn't make it happen. Go and read his quote about how he revealed to the press that he had a huge deal lined up and the other team backed out and tell me it doesn't sound like someone trying to save face and pin the blame on someone else.

I do feel there is a double standard on these forums though. I think you personally would have killed PJ for getting literally nothing for David Lee.

Our front office stinks. That's not the issue. But it doesn't mean that I can't criticize one trade deadline's worth of action from a better front office.

Nope his comments don't sound like that at all. He sounds like a GM who once again provides insight on deals/no deals. I just gave a partial history of how he engages more so than other executives in this league on inside stuff with the media/fans. Prior to the deadline he spoke of his willingness to offer up the Brooklyn pick but wouldn't put it up for any kind of offer. If the clues lead to Okafor why would he be sour graping over not getting that deal done to appease fans for lack of activity? It's not like mega deals got done this deadline while he sat on his hands. You're talking as if the Celtics are on the cusp of completely taking over the Eastern Conference with 1 move, they aren't.

While potentially getting good value on the pick...I think he along with everyone else knows that wasn't going to be good enough for the now(this yr nor next yr).

As far as David Lee what has his value netted since being traded from the Knicks? Gerald Wallace? ROTFLOL Lee has no value period. Once again you're being incredulous here.

No GM goes ham every single deadline. You'd have a much stronger argument if the Celtics were floundering as a team or there were guys available worth swinging the fences for but there weren't. Sorry makes no sense going all in for guys like Love/Howard/Horford who aren't the nectar of this league. And get this, Philly if Okafor was the guy...Colangelo/Hinkie will more than likely have to trade 1 of Okafor/Noel/Embid and guess who's phone gets dialed up when they come to this conclusion?

Simple questions

Did Ainge put Brooklyn's pick on the table? Did Ainge have an agreed to deal done?

Did Phil Jackson put our 2018 pick on the table? Did Phil have an agreed to deal done?

Get at me after you let these sink in for a minute or three

Last edited:
Nope his comments don't sound like that at all. He sounds like a GM who once again provides insight on deals/no deals. I just gave a partial history of how he engages more so than other executives in this league on inside stuff with the media/fans. Prior to the deadline he spoke of his willingness to offer up the Brooklyn pick but wouldn't put it up for any kind of offer. If the clues lead to Okafor why would he be sour graping over not getting that deal done to appease fans for lack of activity? It's not like mega deals got done this deadline while he sat on his hands. You're talking as if the Celtics are on the cusp of completely taking over the Eastern Conference with 1 move, they aren't.

While potentially getting good value on the pick...I think he along with everyone else knows that wasn't going to be good enough for the now(this yr nor next yr).

As far as David Lee what has his value netted since being traded from the Knicks? Gerald Wallace? ROTFLOL Lee has no value period. Once again you're being incredulous here.

No GM goes ham every single deadline. You'd have a much stronger argument if the Celtics were floundering as a team or there were guys available worth swinging the fences for but there weren't. Sorry makes no sense going all in for guys like Love/Howard/Horford who aren't the nectar of this league. And get this, Philly if Okafor was the guy...Colangelo/Hinkie will more than likely have to trade 1 of Okafor/Noel/Embid and guess who's phone gets dialed up when they come to this conclusion?

Simple questions

Did Ainge put Brooklyn's pick on the table? Did Ainge have an agreed to deal done?

Did Phil Jackson put our 2018 pick on the table? Did Phil have an agreed to deal done?

Get at me after you let these sink in for a minute or three

First off, I don't dispute anything you are saying about Ainge. I think Ainge blew it at the trade deadline and you don't. We are just having a difference of opinion. That's fine.

I will say the part of your posting laughing about David Lee's value is a little puzzling to me. He was a 15.5 million dollar expiring contract. I could post a bunch of links talking about how that was viewed as a valuable trade chip. Here's one for example:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...l-Large-Trade-Talks-Using-David-Lees-Contract

Second, it's starting to wear me out that everything in the NBA has to be put in the context of our terrible franchise. Ainge could do a much better job with something than PJ did and still have done a bad job. Just because you are one of the 25 or so franchises in the NBA with a better direction than us right now doesn't mean you are doing a great job every time.

Broadway

All Star
First off, I don't dispute anything you are saying about Ainge. I think Ainge blew it at the trade deadline and you don't. We are just having a difference of opinion. That's fine.

I will say the part of your posting laughing about David Lee's value is a little puzzling to me. He was a 15.5 million dollar expiring contract. I could post a bunch of links talking about how that was viewed as a valuable trade chip. Here's one for example:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...l-Large-Trade-Talks-Using-David-Lees-Contract

Second, it's starting to wear me out that everything in the NBA has to be put in the context of our terrible franchise. Ainge could do a much better job with something than PJ did and still have done a bad job. Just because you are one of the 25 or so franchises in the NBA with a better direction than us right now doesn't mean you are doing a great job every time.

In any other yr(old cba) his contract would have had that old value, but ask yourself how many expiring contracts have been traded in the past couple yrs? Not many and as we fast forward to the summer it's value loses more steam because his expiring was only going to be traded for larger salary contracts. Guess what most teams want heading into the summer? They want cap space with the exploding cap on the horizon. Lee's contract wasn't that valuable for another reason and that's Lux Tax hit...a conversation starter sure but high trade value naaaaaahhh not much.

Overall modest activity at the deadline but many teams were biding their time to hit this summer thus no major waves. With that said I wasn't expecting big bang from Phil but I was expecting more value acquired since he's been here past 2 deadlines and summers.

I could post a bunch of links showing that teams were hoping for Lee to get bought out instead of trading for him

mafra

Legend
This isn?t the momentum surge Jimmer Fredette wanted on the verge of officially arriving on the Knicks? roster to claim the team?s 15th spot. Carmelo Anthony called him by the wrong name Saturday, then Fredette saw his jump shot go all wrong Sunday in his D-League finale with Westchester.

Fredette had a John Starksian meltdown performance against Iowa at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, shooting 2-of-17 for six points in 37 minutes as the D-League Knicks dropped an 84-80 decision.

?One of those games I couldn?t put the ball in,? Fredette said. ?It happens. You don?t want it to happen. A lot of ins and outs. It was a tough one.?