Other NBA games and League

Kiyaman

Legend
Sixers 13 game win streak 7 w/o Embiid. He was on the bench and he looks good, black eye and still under the concussion protocol but no return date as of yet. He's itching so he could return for the first round if he's cleared. I

Bellinelli, Ilyasova nice pickups for them and Fultz coming off the bench gives them depth and experience for the playoffs. They control their own destiny and will nail the 3rd seed if they win out their remaining games. Equal records with the Cavs gives the Cavs the edge in the the breaker, teams are 2-2 with the Sixers win last night. Next tie breaker goes to a division winner and Cavs lead their division right now.

Simmons is phenomenal, ROY over DM in my book. Hard to believe that a guy that can't shoot esp in the modern NBA could have such an outsize impact on his team but he does.

Ben Simmons are the real deal .. Magic Johnson/Larry Bird all-around high IQ B.BALL Performance plus having a captain team-leadership court performance in his repertoire as a rookie.
Embiid resting up for the postseason games automatically gives the 76ers a trip to the 2nd round of the playoffs plus it gives the new addition player Ilyasova enough playingtime in the remaining regular season games to co-exist within the 76ers 2 unit rotatition of teammates.

tiger0330

Legend
Getting the 3rd seed in the EC also means you get to face a Celtics team w/o Kyrie and Smart in the second round if the Celts make it out of the 1st round. Cavs aren't resting anyone for the final 2 games against us trying to nail down that 3rd seed.

Kiyaman

Legend
Getting the 3rd seed in the EC also means you get to face a Celtics team w/o Kyrie and Smart in the second round if the Celts make it out of the 1st round. Cavs aren't resting anyone for the final 2 games against us trying to nail down that 3rd seed.

Philly's youth movement are on a 14 game win streak playing hard to have a 16 game win streak to end the season .. having away game at Atlanta Hawks n home game vs Bucks .. if Philly 76ers grab the 3rd seed plus end the season having a 16 game win streak without Embiid maybe Philly will be the East young-core team to make it to the ECF !!!

Broadway

All Star
Another win for Utah. Donovan Mitchell another great outing with highlight type play.

Get this out of Utah's last 27gms they are 21-6 and DM has scored 20pts or more in 21 of them.

Kiyaman

Legend
Another win for Utah. Donovan Mitchell another great outing with highlight type play.

Get this out of Utah's last 27gms they are 21-6 and DM has scored 20pts or more in 21 of them.

The return of Utah's Jazz center-Gobert automatically put the Jazz rotation in a win-streak-mode during midseason plus the addition of Crowder's physicalness in the Big man rotation had Favors doulbe-double performance stepping up nightly for wins ....
The Utah Jazz Dynamic rookie Donavan Mitchell consistent high scoring games has the Jazz fighting for the 3rd seed in the West playoff race in the final 2 games of the season.
WOW ..
The (Mitchell) Jazz and (Simmons) Philly 76ers are the two teams u do not want to play in the first round !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Looking at last year 2016-17 NBA Standings I notice the OKC Thunders had a 47 win season .. I believe if OKC did not make the two big trades in the 2017 off-season for Paul George and Carmelo Anthony the Thunders organization would have had a 50+ win season this year.
How well will this season OKC Team do in the postseason compared to last season OKC team?

The Utah Jazz had a 51 win season last year plus the Jazz advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year beating the Clippers 4-3 in the first round to bump heads with the GS Warriors in the 2nd round.
How well will this season Jazz team do in the postseason compared to last season Jazz team?

The Knicks had a 31 win season last year without playing a lick of defense for 82 games .. the Knicks president Phil Jax blamed the Knicks top players for the 51 losses in the season .. In the 2017-18 season the Knicks are headed toward a 28 win season .. who do the Knicks blame for the 54 loss season?
The entire Knicks coaching-staff !!!

Broadway

All Star
Nothing I loathe more than personal self promotion(primarily at it's root) while being disingenuous in a forum of public/committee based opinion/merit. Look I get he was asked a question and he feels very confident about his abilities(he a bad boy no doubt) but he went the Lebron James route here and it's totally distasteful!

Meanwhile I love that Spida Mitchell was keeping tabs and immediately responded in kind. He didn't let him off the hook with the flippant dismissive hot take. This is what the game lacks and needs. Guys need to go at and dislike each other between 94' and 50'. Too bad they play in different conferences

mafra

Legend
Somebody should tell Ben he?s not a rookie... he was hurt his rookie year but regardless... he had a full season being handled by and under control of a professional organization... he got to understand how to prepare for a full 82 game season and had a full offseason to work for training camp... he wasn?t running around preparing for draft visits and whatnot.

Just a pet peeve I have when they call these guys rookies...

Broadway

All Star
Somebody should tell Ben he’s not a rookie... he was hurt his rookie year but regardless... he had a full season being handled by and under control of a professional organization... he got to understand how to prepare for a full 82 game season and had a full offseason to work for training camp... he wasn’t running around preparing for draft visits and whatnot.

Just a pet peeve I have when they call these guys rookies...

This guy hates your take Maf...:teeth::teeth::teeth:

Mike1989

Rookie
Looking at last year 2016-17 NBA Standings I notice the OKC Thunders had a 47 win season .. I believe if OKC did not make the two big trades in the 2017 off-season for Paul George and Carmelo Anthony the Thunders organization would have had a 50+ win season this year.
How well will this season OKC Team do in the postseason compared to last season OKC team?

The Utah Jazz had a 51 win season last year plus the Jazz advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year beating the Clippers 4-3 in the first round to bump heads with the GS Warriors in the 2nd round.
How well will this season Jazz team do in the postseason compared to last season Jazz team?

The Knicks had a 31 win season last year without playing a lick of defense for 82 games .. the Knicks president Phil Jax blamed the Knicks top players for the 51 losses in the season .. In the 2017-18 season the Knicks are headed toward a 28 win season .. who do the Knicks blame for the 54 loss season?
The entire Knicks coaching-staff !!!

I'd say there are a number of factors behind our potential 54 loss season and some of them are not down to the coaching staff...

1. KP getting hurt has played a part

By no means do I think we would have made the play offs, but we certainly would have had more wins than we currently do. In fact I think we'd be right near the Lakers and Hornets' current win total.

2. Even with a healthy KP we don't really have a stellar roster

Our usual starting line up featured the following:

- We spent 56 games starting Jarrett Jack. Let's be honest he's an ok veteran but he's not the kinda guy you want starting on a play off team unless he's filling in for an injured Stephen Curry on the Warriors team.
- Courtney Lee is a solid 3-and-D player but that's about it. He's not going to be a guy that can carry a team or improve them on his own, he's a complimentary piece.
- Tim Hardaway has spent the majority of this season playing small forward when he's arguably a better fit for shooting guard. Even though he's averaging a career high in PPG, he is still a frustratingly inconsistent player. He can go from having a huge game (eg 39 points against Minnesota) to having a lackluster game (eg 11 points in the following game against Washington). He's had scoring runs like games 59-68, but he's had his struggles as well like single digit games games 52-56. He has runs of games where his +/- is all over the place (e.g. in three recent games he's had a -23, +10, -20). He's a talented player but he's a frustrating one and probably not suited to being the second option on a play of team.
- KP was having a career yet but realistically we were asking a lot of him and you could tell when he hit his slump. If this team is to be successful we need a consistent running mate to take pressure off him in scoring and on the defensive end, otherwise we'll end up running this guy into the ground and he'll be finished before his extension contract expires.
- Enes Kanter is a great personality but he's another frustrating player. He is capable scorer but he often has negative ratings. His 18 point showing against the Clippers being negated by a -21 rating. He scored 14 points against Philly but had a -13 rating. He scored 19 against the Bucks but had a -25 rating. This is a common theme throughout his career in that he's capable of scoring but defensively he's a liability at times and often doesn't contribute to a positive rating on the court.

Realistically that starting line up always looked like a 30 win team.

So whose fault is this season?

I don't think the coaching staff are entirely to blame. Obviously they have made some mistakes and we've all called them out on them, but I don't think they could have done much better with what they've been given. Our hot start masked the team's problems which were pretty clear: no legitimate starting point guard, two hot and cold scorers, and an ageing 3-and-D player supporting a young rising star in KP. Our bench unit did okay at times but that unit blew hot and cold. As far as I'm concerned our win-loss record is not a surprise and is not a direct result of our coaching staff.

Let's not be naive and think that this team's problems start with the coaching staff because they don't. This team's problems go back further than that. After our semi final appearance in 2012-13, we followed that up with 37 wins and that was not a surprise because the team didn't put together a better supporting cast to help Melo. We had to trot out Raymond Felton, Iman Shumpert, Andrea Bargnani, Pablo Prigioni, a regressing Tyson Chandler, and Amar'e Stoudemire on his zimmer frame. It's no wonder the wheels fell off. What about the support we gave to Melo in 15-16 season after we drafted KP under Derek Fisher? That's right we rounded that starting line up with Jose Calderon, Arron Afflalo and Robin Lopez. Our bench unit was threadbare. So again it is no wonder we struggled that season to 32 wins.

So like I said, let's not be naive and think our problems are down to Jeff Hornacek. These problems started before him because we had the same issues under Derek Fisher and right at the end with Mike Woodson. This team's front office failed to build a legitimate contender around Melo and it is truly sad that he never got the support required to help deliver a championship back to this great team and city. Glen Grunwald, Steve Mills and Phil Jackson failed Melo. I suppose we should be thankful that Phil Jackson didn't give away first round picks and brought back the value of those assets to the team, which saw us draft KP and Ntilikina under his watch. So I can't be overly critical of him on that score because he did leave us with building blocks for the future, but at the same time he didn't help us get the most out of Melo at the end, and his moves last year like Noah's contract have crippled us.

Do I trust our current front office to build a contender? Not really, but time will tell whether they can complete a successful rebuild. But this team really does need to do one of two things: one, replicate the 76ers process and just flat out tank until you have enough talent on your roster; or two, get smarter and draft talent and build a competitive roster without tanking like Utah and Denver. Both routes have their challenges and will test our current front office's ability to rebuild this roster. I'd love to say I feel confident that they can do it, but based on recent history I have my doubts. So like I said, I don't blame Hornacek for this season. I blame our current and past front offices for leaving us in this mess and it's going to take a long time to get us out of it.

mafra

Legend
I agree, only in the sense that this isn?t his second year. After all, he didn?t benefit from on-court experience... Still, it?s also not his rookie year.

1) He didn?t go thru the distracting pre-draft stuff.

2) He did benefit from being on his professional team for a full season.

Ergo, Simmons light years ahead of rookies bc he was a pro for a full year.... from weight training regiments to being told what to work on... As a pro, Ben had access and insight college kids don?t have.

And, who is Kurt whatever anyway?

Kiyaman

Legend
All I can say bout Ben Simmons performance from the start of the 2017-18 season are .. Magic Johnson / Larry Bird / Lebron James !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Sixers 13 game win streak 7 w/o Embiid. He was on the bench and he looks good, black eye and still under the concussion protocol but no return date as of yet. He's itching so he could return for the first round if he's cleared.

Bellinelli, Ilyasova nice pickups for them and Fultz coming off the bench gives them depth and experience for the playoffs. They control their own destiny and will nail the 3rd seed if they win out their remaining games. Equal records with the Cavs gives the Cavs the edge in the tIebreaker, teams are 2-2 with the Sixers win last night. Next tie breaker goes to a division winner and Cavs lead their division right now.

Simmons is phenomenal, ROY over DM in my book. Hard to believe that a guy that can't shoot esp in the modern NBA could have such an outsize impact on his team but he does.
Isn't even close in this ESPN poll. Simmons by a landslide for ROY.

Who should win?

PlayerPoints1st-place (%)
1. Ben Simmons, PHI26177.6
2. Donovan Mitchell, UTA19022.4
3. Jayson Tatum, BOS420.0
4. Kyle Kuzma, LAL170.0
5. Lauri Markkanen, CHI50.0
Who will win?

• Ben Simmons: 93.1 percent
  • Donovan Mitchell: 6.9 percent
MORE: 25 under 25: Ranking young superstars by potential
in.gif

Broadway

All Star
Not surprised at by the ESPN results and I believe Simmons will win(the machine has been campaigning and pushing it for some time now), with that being said Donovan clearly has the social media momentum in his favor, this dude is actually hilarious

mafra

Legend
Mitchell scores 22 (8-12 shooting) as Utah takes down GSW, and is now tied for 3rd....

Utah lost its best player in free agency and DM has been an absolute revelation.

Simmons had Embiid to be his Batman... DM has to be Batman...

It?s a no-brainer: Co-ROY should be awarded. Both are deserving but DM more so, given what he has meant to his team.

20/4/4 for DM and 18/8/8 for Simmons...

DM made 182 threes this season.... Simmons hasn?t made a three-pointer all season.

And, while I don?t feel Simmons should be punished for missing his rookie year due to injury.... still... you have to consider the fact, meaning that Ben had to be head and shoulders above the crowd to win ROY outright.

DM has been right there all year, and this DM should be punished bc simmons spent a year as a pro before he played a real game.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Ben Simmons fires back with wittiness

I like these levels of petty, I hope they remain rivals for yrs to come and one day on a collision course to meet each other in a Finals

mafra

Legend
Amen. I like the rivalry. I hate the banana boat generation.

If I were DM, I would tweet back ?0-11 from downtown. Should be unwritten rule you can?t win ROY if you don?t make a 3.?

mafra

Legend
Andre Ingram, a 32-year-old math tutor who has played 384 games in the NBA's minor leagues over the last 10 years, made his NBA debut on Tuesday night off the Lakers bench and caught fire early, finishing with 19 points, three rebounds, one assist, one steal, three blocks and four 3-pointers on 6-of-8 shooting in 29 minutes.
His wife and kids were on hand, he made some huge shots and looked like he belonged, and the whole story was nothing short of miraculous and inspirational, even though we may never hear from him again. It's too bad more teams don't give minor-league journeymen opportunities like this, as it was a blast to watch, as opposed to some of the other silly-season stuff we've been subjected to over the last month.

Congratulations on your big night, Andre. It was awesome. And props to Magic Johnson and the Lakers for making it happen. And he might not be done yet, as the Lakers play the Clippers in Wednesday's meaningless finale.

(Rotoworld)

tiger0330

Legend
Andre Ingram, a 32-year-old math tutor who has played 384 games in the NBA's minor leagues over the last 10 years, made his NBA debut on Tuesday night off the Lakers bench and caught fire early, finishing with 19 points, three rebounds, one assist, one steal, three blocks and four 3-pointers on 6-of-8 shooting in 29 minutes.
His wife and kids were on hand, he made some huge shots and looked like he belonged, and the whole story was nothing short of miraculous and inspirational, even though we may never hear from him again. It's too bad more teams don't give minor-league journeymen opportunities like this, as it was a blast to watch, as opposed to some of the other silly-season stuff we've been subjected to over the last month.

Congratulations on your big night, Andre. It was awesome. And props to Magic Johnson and the Lakers for making it happen. And he might not be done yet, as the Lakers play the Clippers in Wednesday's meaningless finale.

(Rotoworld)
19 points. The guy can play, they should give him a guaranteed contract for next season instead of some pro-rated 2 day contract if they really want to reward him for those years of grinding it out in the G League.

tiger0330

Legend
19 points. The guy can play, they should give him a guaranteed contract for next season instead of some pro-rated 2 day contract if they really want to reward him for those years of grinding it out in the G League.
He made 14k for 3 days while making 19k for his G League season.