Official 2017 NBA Draft Thread - June 22

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

mafra

Legend
Even tho I knew it would happen I still couldn't believe it (or stomach it). Ndour hits a game-winner? Horn not smart enough to have Baker foul and send PHI to the FT line for the win.... Are you kidding me.

Then Dantoni plays all his starters.... MIn jumps us.... you can't make this stuff up. We won't jump up to top 3.... I bet we fall to 8. Just terrible.

Broadway

All Star
Even tho I knew it would happen I still couldn't believe it (or stomach it). Ndour hits a game-winner? Horn not smart enough to have Baker foul and send PHI to the FT line for the win.... Are you kidding me.

Then Dantoni plays all his starters.... MIn jumps us.... you can't make this stuff up. We won't jump up to top 3.... I bet we fall to 8. Just terrible.

lol

Well actually this may have been all by design according to NBA Lottery History or not depending on how the 6-7 spot is viewed. The link could be slightly dated(not current) by a few yrs but still gives a broad breakdown for each draft slot happenings.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/nba_lottery_moves

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Of course, 2 years ago was like the second time in lottery history worst record got the pick.... the year we slip out.

And odds at 6 looked good. Why did we hurt our odds by winning tonight!!! I hate to think it, but isn't it obvious that MIN will jump up to 1 and the joke will continue to be on us.

mafra

Legend
"The Knicks? next important date is the NBA draft lottery May 16. A drawing will be held Tuesday to determine what order the Knicks and T?wolves pick, in the event neither wins a top-three pick in the lottery. The total number of pingpong balls (63 for sixth, 43 for seventh) is combined and divided evenly, giving both teams an 18.3 percent chance to win a top-three pick ? and a 5.3 percent chance at the top pick. Had the Knicks lost they would have had a 6.5 percent chance of winning the top pick and a 21.5 percent shot at a top-3 selection.

Another drawback in losing the drawing and falling to the seventh seed is, in the worst-case scenario, the Knicks could fall back to 10th if they drop the maximum three spots.

When the Knicks ended last season at 32-50, the organization puffed out its chest and highlighted a 15-game improvement ? best in the NBA. Wednesday the Knicks were noticeably more humble.

The Knicks are so despondent over their 70th year that normal player media availability on trash-bag day has been cancelled, and it is unclear whether team president Phil Jackson will break his silence.

Jackson managed to go through the entire preseason and regular season without once talking to the New York media or the club?s website ? a fact that surely disappointed owner James Dolan, who hired him for $60 million to be the face of the franchise."

mafra

Legend
63 + 43 = 106

106 divided by 2 = 48.

Ergo, beating PHI took away 15 ping pong balls from NY and potentially puts MIN in front of NY.

tiger0330

Legend
Orlando is absolutely terrible at developing their youth....I encourage with kind regards to not look at them as any barometer to gauge what the Knicks should do

Payton
Vucevic
Gordon
Oladipo
Harkless

Have all spent considerable amounts of time coming off the bench or traded their career there, only to be reinserted back into the starting lineup. That's why Rob Hennigan has publicly spoken on the uncertainty of remaining their GM heading into the summer. He's going to get fired! Payton now in his 3rd season officially looks like a starter after having to take a back seat to DJ Augustin..."are you kidding me"

This is the same organization that traded for Evan Fornier and tried to make him their go-to-guy after they drafted Oladipo[same position](who they traded away for Ibaka who they eventually traded away in less than a season). They traded Harkless to Portland(I said last yr we should've traded for him), for a 2020 2nd round pick...disgusting! It was one of the reasons Scott Skiles quit because he implied he was being told what to do on the bench from up top....sounds familiar huh(Phil/Hornacek/Our Knicks)?

I'm not saying Hezonja isn't in the suspect category at the moment but don't place all the blame at his feet. Orlando is a mess right now. They better be glad they have a chance this summer to atone for some of their sins

Actually Hezonja is exactly who we should target because you want to get players before they could uptick with a much higher reward. I have no problem if the Knicks draft Ntilikina as long as they've done adequate homework on him. He's no different than taking a chance on #kporzee. He's similar considering positive physical tools given the position he'd play/need filled. I do prefer others over him though, but I do like what I see from the kid.
Orlando fires Hennigan. He predicted it himself saying people were justified in criticizing him.

If his job performance warrants getting fired, Phil deserves the axe as well. Funny that Dolan has fired people for far less, Gruenwald did a better job than Phil has but got summarily dismissed and exiled to Canada before his contract expired. Dolan should fire Phil just for the sake of fairness.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Orlando fires Hennigan. He predicted it himself saying people were justified in criticizing him.

If his job performance warrants getting fired, Phil deserves the axe as well. Funny that Dolan has fired people for far less, Gruenwald did a better job than Phil has but got summarily dismissed and exiled to Canada before his contract expired. Dolan should fire Phil just for the sake of fairness.

Phil probably has a "No Fire" clause just like Melo has a "No Trade" clause

lol I went back an edited this earlier post and botched it trying to update the current state of affairs and you bested me Tig :teeth:. Listen I saw this coming from a mile away. When a person starts speaking on his situation publicly with skepticism you know it's probably not going to end well if circumstances don't drastically change for the better.

With that said if we were to win the lottery I would definitely trade #1 pick for picks #5, 23, 34 or #5, Hezonja, #34 and a future 2nd rounder. Got a read that Hezonja plans to work extremely hard this summer on all facets of his game in the states. He sounded like this offseason is going to be personal. I think we need to strike if an opportunity presents itself.

Orlando's target is D-Fox I have no doubt about it, unless the 1st 3 picks go out of the ordinary(Fultz, Jackson, Ball in any particular order)

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
And ORL screwed the pooch last night too. I don't know, b/c if what most are saying.... That Fultz is hands down the best or at least this is Fultz-Ball, then everybody else..... as much as I feel Jax, Fox, Tatum are worthy.... if I loved Fulttz as a head and shoulders talent above the rest.... I would just take Fultz at 1.

Now, this is assuming our front office loves Fultz, as is being reported by some sources, and that I agree with them.

If, after doing the homework, I felt that Jax, Fox, Ball, Tatum were all in the same tier of talent.... sure, I would gladly accept whatever was left at 4 and scoop up the extra assets.

Broadway

All Star
I feel that Fultz is the best guard but I do not feel he is clear head and shoulders above every other top prospect. I think there are 5 guys you can legitimately make a case for #1. So far Knicks have been linked to 3 guys via printed material(Frank, Jackson, Fultz). Appears each prospect is real and not of the smokescreen type

This could be an indication our Big Board possesses a few more names than mentioned

Broadway

All Star
Read on Hoopshype Rob Pelinka will not rule out putting their pick on the table. As to what they're looking for not sure

Melo/#6-7 for D-Russ/Moz/#3&28...I just don't think Melo wants to go to a rebuild situation

mafra

Legend
Knowing he tried to trade the KP pick.... I have no doubt he could be tempted, bc unlike 2 years ago there will be many teams trying to jump into the top 7.

Toss in the Melo sweepstakes.... it's gonna be interesting.

tiger0330

Legend
Read on Hoopshype Rob Pelinka will not rule out putting their pick on the table. As to what they're looking for not sure

Melo/#6-7 for D-Russ/Moz/#3&28...I just don't think Melo wants to go to a rebuild situation
Its in LA and he'd be playing for Magic, I think Melo would do it. Pelinka is an interesting guy, no GM experience but has been on the other side of the negotiations as a top agent. I criticized Dolan for hiring PJ because he had zero experience as a GM but Pelinka just doesn't feel the same, I think Magic may have picked a GM that can help turn that franchise around.

tiger0330

Legend
Interesting mock draft by this guy, he has Ball falling to 3 if Suns pick at 2 with them selecting Jackon on positional need. Has us taking Fox, big surprise in this is how much Monk drops and Smith before the 2 way player Fox is somewhat a surprise.

Howard Megdal's NBA Mock Draft

Celtics
Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington: Fultz remains the best bet at either point guard or shooting guard, able to score from anywhere on the floor and distribute. His chasedown blocks seem to be foreshadowing to the ability to defend well in Brad Stevens' schemes.
Suns
Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas: The defensive motor will prove irresistible to the Suns, who need a play-making wing on the defensive end, among many other things.
Lakers
Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA: Lonzo gets his wish, Magic gets his franchise point guard and D'Angelo Russell gets to see how he likes playing off the ball all the time.
76ers
Jonathan Isaac, SF, Florida State: Imagine, if you will, the Sixers with Ben Simmons, a 7-foot point guard, Isaac, a 7-foot wing, and Joel Embiid, a 7-foot-plus center capable of scoring from everywhere. 50 wins isn't crazy next season.
Magic

Jayson Tatum, SF, Duke: The new GM gets to grab Tatum, a Duke product who can be Orlando's alpha scorer and slot in next to Aaron Gordon, more comfortably set at the power forward position.
Timberwolves

Dennis Smith Jr., PG, NC State: The polar opposite of Ricky Rubio in many ways, but a great fit in terms of his ability to play at the pace this young, hyper-athletic roster should, with the bonus of Smith not needing to force his shot.

Knicks

De'Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky: Finally, the Knicks will have both a plus distributor and a defender at the point, the first time since ... Walt Frazier? Really.

Kings

Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona: The offensive mismatch provides a big-shooting complement to Buddy Hield, declared franchise icon.
Mavericks

Frank Ntilikina, PG, France: Yogi Ferrell is a great story, but Ntilikina can give Dallas length at point guard, with the chance to be a two-way starter on its next great team.
Kings

Justin Jackson, SF, North Carolina: More shooting for the Kings, along with a vital wing defender for a group that finished 25th in the league in defensive efficiency.
Hornets

Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky: It's time to give Steve Clifford a dangerous offensive force at shooting guard, and with the way Monk defends, Clifford won't even mind.

Pistons

Donovan Mitchell, SG, Louisville: The best way to move on from the difficulties of 2016-17 is to add Mitchell, who can play plenty of point if Reggie Jackson leaves, or provide shooting and elite perimeter defending alongside him.
Nuggets
yler Lydon, SF, Syracuse: Lydon shoots well enough to earn time in the Denver rotation right away, but it is his length and defending on the wings that the Nuggets need the most.
Heat

Justin Patton, C, Creighton: It's time to stop denigrating Hassan Whiteside, and letting him mentor Patton, who has many of the gifts Whiteside does athletically, is one sure way to prove that.
Trail Blazers

Mikal Bridges, SF, Villanova: The Blazers don't need featured scorers, they need efficient shooting on the wing and strong defenders. Bridges can be what they tried to make Noah Vonleh into for two years, allowing Vonleh to embrace the rebounding role he picked up late in the season.
Bulls

TJ Leaf, PF/C, UCLA: Expecting the Bulls to full rebuild is probably unwise, so instead another shooter that doesn't force them to blow up the Jimmy Butler/Dwyane Wade experiment is probably the play here.

mafra

Legend
The more I think about it, the more I can see Isaac as a "fallback" for us. A Lamar Odom clone.

I think our early big board is:

Fultz
Jackson
Isaac
Ball
Tatum
Fox
Monk

I'd be happy with either of these 7 really

Broadway

All Star
I think Howard's Mock is a little off...

I see Tatum more a Philly fit than Isaac because his offensive game is more polished and no Dennis Smith is not going to the Wolves with Kris Dunn waiting in the wings

and1

Rotation player
i wish i had the link to the article and i'm too lazy to look for it right now, but someone hypothesized a possible 3 way trade this summer.
melo to the clippers.
griffin to the thunder.
kanter to the knicks.

mafra

Legend
i wish i had the link to the article and i'm too lazy to look for it right now, but someone hypothesized a possible 3 way trade this summer.
melo to the clippers.
griffin to the thunder.
kanter to the knicks.

Kanter doesn't play any defense, and we have a player like him already in WHG. I would pass on that deal.

mafra

Legend
All depends on where we pick.... gonna be an interesting few months determine draft slot and who prospect to pick.

Fultz, Ball, Jax, Tatum, Fox, Monk, Frenchie Frank, Isaac are now 8 legit guys. Then there's Smith and a few PF/C types.... maybe picking 6-8 is best for us.... this way we won't take a bust.... instead we be left with whatever scraps remain. lol.

Last edited: