Official 2017 NBA Draft Thread - June 22

Broadway

All Star
Fultz is saying the right things about the Knicks but unless the Knicks get into the top 3 Fultz is not working out for us. Kid is coming off a knee injury, he's not working out for any more teams than he has to

He's going to have to show someone he's physically capable of playing at this level. It could possibly factor into him being taken #1 overall. I mean just think of the Embiid and Simmons history...? This draft presents a more competitive case as to who should be taken #1 overall and I'm sure whoever has that pick wants some assurance of a healthy prospect. His injury didn't produce the need for surgery so this may come down to a game of chicken with him and teams interested in drafting him.

I'm sure they don't want to get PHILLIED or run into a case of getting DERRICK ROSED when a Westbrook is sitting right there in the same draft.

Broadway

All Star
Maybe after nearly 2 decades of futility... Balls will bounce out way. Think of Lakers last few drafts.... fall out of top 4 and lose pick.... they jump up twice, including ahead of us 2 years ago.

Or Cleveland jumping like what 3 times?

tiger0330

Legend

Tankathon as of games on Sunday. Knicks can lock up sole possession of 6th with a loss to PHI. A win and then we have to wait for SAC and MN, most likely both teams lose their 2 remaining games so let's hope Horn doesn't do anything stupid and start KP and Melo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

mafra

Legend
NYK will beat PHI.... SAC will probably beat PHO at home.... MIN will probably lose out.

So, my question is.... the lottery determines the top 3 slots.... after that, teams slide in according to record....

So, if MIN and NYK both have 31-51 records, and if both don't win lottery (grab a top 3 slot).... then who drafts ahead of whom? Is this a coin toss thing?

I can now see a team jump up into top 3, leapfrog NY.... Miny wins coin toss.... Now NY picks 8th.

As it now stands, looks like NY will pick 6th or 7th.

As I said before, teams in top 6 are golden....outside of 6 means good luck drafting.... there are gems but you better pick correctly.

Broadway

All Star
NYK will beat PHI.... SAC will probably beat PHO at home.... MIN will probably lose out.

So, my question is.... the lottery determines the top 3 slots.... after that, teams slide in according to record....

So, if MIN and NYK both have 31-51 records, and if both don't win lottery (grab a top 3 slot).... then who drafts ahead of whom? Is this a coin toss thing?

I can now see a team jump up into top 3, leapfrog NY.... Miny wins coin toss.... Now NY picks 8th.

As it now stands, looks like NY will pick 6th or 7th.

As I said before, teams in top 6 are golden....outside of 6 means good luck drafting.... there are gems but you better pick correctly.

It's a random draw process for teams with identical records to settle tie-breaker. This is why I was saying 3-4weeks ago we needed to finish with worst record as possible to alleviate the blowback of being pushed down which would include a scenario such as this. Like I'd rather be tied with Orlando/Philly than the aforementioned teams to determine the tie-breaker.

mafra

Legend
It's a random draw process for teams with identical records to settle tie-breaker. This is why I was saying 3-4weeks ago we needed to finish with worst record as possible to alleviate the blowback of being pushed down which would include a scenario such as this. Like I'd rather be tied with Orlando/Philly than the aforementioned teams to determine the tie-breaker.

Just typical NYK.... 3-4 meaningless wins is difference from 4th worst record and 8th. Imagine if ORL jumps to 1 and NYK slip to 8th.... 3 wins could be deadly... drop you 7 spots and have you on the outside looking in....

We find out our fate in a month.

tiger0330

Legend
The young guys have been competitive so it's not a given that if you play them they tank. Still I would play the odds and hold out Melo and KP for the best chance to lose a game. Covington is out for them, him playing would make it easier to get that L.

mafra

Legend
You definitely don't ask the young players to "tank".... But playing Rose vs DET and playing Melo nearly 40 minutes vs CHI (2 recent wins.... both at home) were asinine decisions that put emphasis on pleasing a temporary crowd of MSG ticket holders who came that night over the future vitality of the franchise and sanity of your fanbase.

Will 2 wins matter in the long run? We'll see soon enough.

PHI had those 2 wins that pretty much demoralized this team and ended our season. As the final nail in this season's coffin, Saric and gang will lay down and 5 guys from Ruckers dressed in NYK uniforms would beat them by double digits. SAric and gang have played dead for over a month.

NYK and Miny will finish tied for 6th. Let's just hope Sac can beat PHo or we'll be in a 3-way tie.

I'm going to guess that Philly cares a lot more about guaranteeing at least a split of the 4th worst record lottery balls than our stupid team cares about avoiding a split of the 6th worst record.

Minny just gets under my skin. They now have Towns and Wiggins, and Rubio who has been playing great, and they let the bottom fall out this season yet again to make a hurried dash back as deep into the lottery as possible. If I have to watch their clueless owner's smiling face as they jump into a top 3 pick at the lottery, so help me.

mafra

Legend
Amen. Both Minny and Philly should be sent to 13 and 24 as a punishment for living in the lottery.

Like you said with Minny, how is it that SAC can deal Cousins and end up with the same record as Min? How can PHI be hottest team in NBA in Jan, even without Embid, then look rancid in March and April?

Broadway

All Star
Amen. Both Minny and Philly should be sent to 13 and 24 as a punishment for living in the lottery.

Like you said with Minny, how is it that SAC can deal Cousins and end up with the same record as Min? How can PHI be hottest team in NBA in Jan, even without Embid, then look rancid in March and April?

While I don't like their perpetual ineptitude let's look at it a little more objectively...

PHILLY
They ran their system pretty much through Embiid while on a minutes restriction and he still got hurt after 30gms. Okafor was on the trading block along with Noel for half a season and they eventually got rid of Noel. Okafor then went down as well, was never really full strength all yr. They have a suspect back court and lest we forget no Ben Simmons all yr. Let's admit they were playing a little over their heads to start off with the youthful unknown energy factor but eventually lack of talent and depth(injury bugs) caught up with their team.

MINNY
I blame Rubio and Wiggins for not playing up to their abilities for a FULL SEASON! Their team is primarily soft and probably caught off guard to Thibs rigid style of coaching. I anticipate them being better next season devoid of their lottery pick. Also keep in mind they lost Zach Lavine midway through the season to an ACL injury. I'm not making excuses for their failures but I believe they could be 4-5gms better just off some of these things being eliminated.

The league doesn't care about poor team results to close the yr. They are not and should not tweak incompetency based on who's vulnerable yr-to-yr. I do believe the overall lottery system should be modified to remove as much Tank Brigading as possible and provide incentives to win but understand this is a business and STARS drive the league. The league prefers great players on every team, especially in the smaller markets. Otoh we had possibly the best chance to make good on a successful season based on the Eastern Conference's lower half subpar teams. We didn't and kept clinging on to mathematical hopes instead of projecting beyond this season. It's quite simple to understand what teams should do based based on sparsing a season, which IMO should take place after 20-25gms.

After 25gms

Considerably above .500
Do nothing unless there is a great opportunity to solidify position

.500 or Slightly Above

Wait another 10gms to consider moves

.500 or Slightly Below
If belief remains to maintain competitiveness moves must be made as soon as possible to rectify matters. Trade for help immediately

Considerably Sub .500
If a team is limited as to what they can do, they should slowly start dismantling the team in a professional methodical way to prepare for the summer ahead. Trade off current assets for future assets

We had the latter 2 results and DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...thus we have fairly precarious/touch and go results

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
I'm going to guess that Philly cares a lot more about guaranteeing at least a split of the 4th worst record lottery balls than our stupid team cares about avoiding a split of the 6th worst record.

Minny just gets under my skin. They now have Towns and Wiggins, and Rubio who has been playing great, and they let the bottom fall out this season yet again to make a hurried dash back as deep into the lottery as possible. If I have to watch their clueless owner's smiling face as they jump into a top 3 pick at the lottery, so help me.

wherever we land in the lottery this summer, we better get it right. minny's going to be right back in that lottery hunt next year if my suspicions turn out to be correct. towns and wiggins played the most number of minutes out of any duo this season, similar to the way sadistic coach thibs did it when he was with chicago. if he continues this trend into next year i suspect that some of those bodies are going to be dropping with injuries. if i were the wolves' owner i would seriously re-consider having sadistic coach thibs grind a talent like towns into the ground the way he did it with noah.

mafra

Legend
KAY was talking again and blasting NYK. He's heard that they LOVE Fultz, and he wonders why they didn't learn lesson from KAT fiasco 2 years ago.

If they love a particular prospect, then they needed to ensure they have best odds to be in a position to select the player they covet.... not be forced to choose from whoever is left.

Playing Rose, and both Lee and Melo so many minutes down the stretch hurt their odds... And for what?

I doubt they could've caught LAK, PHO, Nets.... but they should be 4th.... not where they are now.... potentially in a 3-way tie for 6th.

Instead of KAT and Fultz as our future.... we settle for KP and Monk (or something)....

mafra

Legend
MINNY doesn't even try.... they fall behind OKC at home by 22.... Westbrook wasn't even playing. Somehow, they found themselves ahead in the final minute.... So Rubio fouls a guy.... sends him to FT line. Tie game. KAT "misses" a layup and Wiggins "misses" a game-winning 3. Phew.

T-Wolves determined to tie NY for 6th worst record. Our only hope here is for LAC to sit everyone. Not sure if LAC have anything to play for.... but part of the Melo deal should be that they lay down and let SAC beat them (If SAC doesn't beat Suns tonight).

As for Minny.... I seriously do they win in HOU tomorrow (even if HOU rests Harden).

Of course, NY can help themselves and call up all their D-league guys and let them play (and lose) to pHIlly. But, we won't and you know we'll win.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
MINNY doesn't even try.... they fall behind OKC at home by 22.... Westbrook wasn't even playing. Somehow, they found themselves ahead in the final minute.... So Rubio fouls a guy.... sends him to FT line. Tie game. KAT "misses" a layup and Wiggins "misses" a game-winning 3. Phew.

T-Wolves determined to tie NY for 6th worst record. Our only hope here is for LAC to sit everyone. Not sure if LAC have anything to play for.... but part of the Melo deal should be that they lay down and let SAC beat them (If SAC doesn't beat Suns tonight).

As for Minny.... I seriously do they win in HOU tomorrow (even if HOU rests Harden).

Of course, NY can help themselves and call up all their D-league guys and let them play (and lose) to pHIlly. But, we won't and you know we'll win.

Game 74 Thread all right here...

https://www.knicksonline.com/forums...troit-Pistons-7-30-pm-3-27-2017-Game-74/page2

mafra

Legend
SAC won.... So, it comes down to tomorrow.... Knicks need to lose or have Minny win.... most likely NY will win and Minny will lose....

So.... Nets, Suns, Lakers, Orlando, Philly locked 1-5. NYK and MIN tie for 6th.

Up to fate now.

tiger0330

Legend
It was 12 games ago I said I could see us going 3-10 because of the tough schedule. Tomorrow is the 13th game and they're 3-9, even if they lose it still wasn't good enough to get the 4th seed. A 2 way tie for 6th doesn't drop the Knicks odds of getting into the top 3 that much, its right now 21.5%. With a tie I think it will be about 19% for both the Knicks and MN. We can still pick 6th if we win the tie breaker drawing but lets hope the lottery gods get us a top 3.

Broadway

All Star
Winning that game against Detroit still doesn't bother me because it gave us one stupid game in the last 4 months of the season where Porzingis played well and we won.

Out-tanking teams like Minny, Philly, and Orlando seems like it doesn't matter what you do, they'll find a way to meet you there at the bottom at the end of the season

It was a bad win, once again Detroit had been quite possibly more awful than us in recent weeks before that game. The Orlando wins were awful too. The Bulls/Pacers/Heat wins maybe case can be made for, they were teams jockying for playoff position(nevertheless absolutely no advantage to us).

If we had 3 more losses we'd be sitting 4th thus out tanking Philly and Minny and Orlando. For the record we out tanked Orlando and Philly in 2015 that's how we got #kporzee although Philly moved up 1 spot ahead of us as did the Lakers. Getting bumped from 2-4 is easier to stomach vs should we get bumped from 6-7 or possibly lower. Maybe this is the yr we move up

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
There will be plenty of time to complain and blast this team for striving for 31 wins instead of 27.... we have a month to pray and hope we somehow jump into top 3 from 6. If we fall to 7 or 8.... man, lost opportunity.