Melo Trade Rumors

mafra

Legend
I just heard Stephen A Smith on the Michael Kay show just now:

- He said Cavs don't have to deal Irving; Gilbert doesn't really care if there is drama or how Lebron feels about KI.
- Gilbert only concerned with Lebron's ability to make him money.
- He said Kyrie to NYK not dead b/c ultimately this is Gilbert's call.
- Gilbert has to decide between 2 options: Flip Irving for pieces to stay in title mode for this season or blow it up and start rebuild
- Melo would waive NTC to go to CLE (Melo wont say NO to Lebron)
- Melo not going to OKC

AND, get this.... Eric Bledsoe could be had for a second rounder.

mafra

Legend
Knight already lost his job... Tyler Ullis, I think? PHO was trying to move both Knight and Bledsoe, from what I've heard.

Smith said if you can flip Irving into Melo, Bledose, and Rose.... You have to say CLE did well (even improved)... Question is: Lebron and Gilbert on same page? They both realize they are biz buddies... this is all about business... So, is it worth it to go all in for 1 season? Or, keep KI and chemistry be damned? Throw away possibly Lebron's final season in CLE and start rebuild now, ensuring LJ walks? Go for it this year and hope LJ stays another season?

Last edited:
As the days become weeks become months, the hot Melo trade news continues to be: 'Melo wants to be traded to Houston. Melo has not been traded to Houston'.

mafra

Legend
As the days become weeks become months, the hot Melo trade news continues to be: 'Melo wants to be traded to Houston. Melo has not been traded to Houston'.

Sage Melo is confusing his NTC for a "trade me to where I want to go" clause.

NY had to sell the farm to get Melo here a few months before his impending free agency, and now he wants to exit NY with Knicks getting nothing back in return save for a bad contract.

Broadway

All Star
http://www.businessinsider.com/carm...-into-dealing-him-before-the-trade-deadline-1

I wouldn't exactly call any of these players "the farm." Most aren't even still in the NBA and the Gallinari led Nuggets have been in the Western Conference basement since trading Melo. More revisionist history um um um:(

I bet we don't get anything close to...

Chandler
Gallo
2014 1st
2016 1st
2012 2nd
2013 2nd

Matter of fact I don't look at it this way(how Denver traded with Hawks) but I bet Melo doesn't return the value Nuggets got for Gallo alone this summer in Paul Milsap. You're looking at it from the perspective of what players did after the fact. We're looking at from pure value.

Case in point if you sell a...
5000sq ft luxury home to me for $3,000,000 cash

You decide to spend all the money on...
T.V. Dinners, Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer, Beef Jerkey, $10,000 of it on Pickle Tickets(you only hit on $500), 84' El Camino with a shotty transmission, Storage Shed fees with the Camino and a rotted flat bed fishing boat/rusted trailer you won at an auction for quadruple the blue book value on the Camino...in it, and a half dozen Dad Hats from Bass Pro Shop

That doesn't mean the $3,000,000 had no value, it means it may not have been invested the wisest

Meanwhile the home I figured to be luxury actually isn't...
While the marble floors, woodwork, and amenities are present it has below code wiring, mold, cracked foundation around the whole perimeter, leaks from above roofing, busted plumbing, pests abound, and quite frankly is ASSbestos

I've put it up for resale yrs later while in a prime neighborhood and my highest offer to date is $625k non cash, has to be financed as I'll owe all fees and very upside down on payments

This is a more accurate depiction of where we're at today

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I bet we don't get anything close to...

Chandler
Gallo
2014 1st
2016 1st
2012 2nd
2013 2nd

Matter of fact I don't look at it this way(how Denver traded with Hawks) but I bet Melo doesn't return the value Nuggets got for Gallo alone this summer in Paul Milsap. You're looking at it from the perspective of what players did after the fact. We're looking at from pure value.

Case in point if you sell a...
5000sq ft luxury home to me for $3,000,000 cash

You decide to spend all the money on...
T.V. Dinners, Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer, Beef Jerkey, $10,000 of it on Pickle Tickets(you only hit on $500), 84' El Camino with a shotty transmission, Storage Shed fees with the Camino and a rotted flat bed fishing boat/rusted trailer you won at an auction for quadruple the blue book value on the Camino...in it, and a half dozen Dad Hats from Bass Pro Shop

That doesn't mean the $3,000,000 had no value, it means it may not have been invested the wisest

Meanwhile the home I figured to be luxury actually isn't...
While the marble floors, woodwork, and amenities are present it has below code wiring, mold, cracked foundation around the whole perimeter, leaks from above roofing, busted plumbing, pests abound, and quite frankly is ASSbestos

I've put it up for resale yrs later while in a prime neighborhood and my highest offer to date is $625k non cash, has to be financed as I'll owe all fees and very upside down on payments

This is a more accurate depiction of where we're at today
Excellent post.

Even though I didn't like the trade at first, it wasn't that bad to me shortly afterwards. I think what the BIG problem was what they did afterwards: trading a pick (a first rounder, right?) for Bargnani, Melo's no trade clause, and whatever else I'm not gonna bother thinking about right now.

I still think they should have at least kept ONE player from that trade with Denver though. Seriously, any of those players. You forgot to mention Mozgov.

While I do agree with you that we shouldn't look at their injuries after the trade, those players didn't prove that we'd go any further if we kept them. Our situation for the future might have been better, but again, Melo being on the team wasn't the problem. Outside the 2012-2013 season (which I think was an excellent win now roster even though maybe you think they shouldn't have been going that route), the organization made some awful moves. Actually, I feel like naming more from the post-Denver trade. Here's a list:

- Trading a pick for Bargnani for who knows why
- Woodson favoritism to Melo and J.R. Smith and nothing being done about it by the organization for too long
- Phil Jackson giving Melo a no trade clause with his injuries, age, and type of play
- Phil Jackson trashing Melo, especially in public
- Phil Jackson and the triangle thing without coaching the team himself
- Tim Hardaway Jr.'s deal, which isn't the worst, but way too much when he might have been had for much less, but this is what makes it even more mind boggling...
- Ron Baker's deal. I still can't fathom this. He was what? Gonna get the minimum? And they gave him 4.something a year for two years? You don't need to give more money to have a youth movement. We had nothing left to give. Heck, they could have had Derrick Rose if they wanted to, at least cap wise. So they could have done something with that money.

So even if you hated the Melo deal, it wasn't back backbreaking by any stretch of the imagination. It was the organization. If they're in this situation again like with the one in Denver, the Knicks should absolutely not do it.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
According to Jason Lloyd of The Athletic, the Cavaliers have unsuccessfully tried to contract Kyrie Irving since his trade request.

Lloyd adds that Irving isn't talking to anyone from the organization. New general manager Koby Altman called the situation "fluid" at Wednesday's press conference, but it sure sounds like Irving is heading out the door. He's under contract for the next two seasons with a player option for the third, so expect the Cavs to hold out for the best possible package in return.

-----
Irving doing his part.... Now we need Lebron to do his and orchestrate a trade to bring Melo to CLE and ship KI to NY

Broadway

All Star
Excellent post.

Even though I didn't like the trade at first, it wasn't that bad to me shortly afterwards. I think what the BIG problem was what they did afterwards: trading a pick (a first rounder, right?) for Bargnani, Melo's no trade clause, and whatever else I'm not gonna bother thinking about right now.

I still think they should have at least kept ONE player from that trade with Denver though. Seriously, any of those players. You forgot to mention Mozgov.

While I do agree with you that we shouldn't look at their injuries after the trade, those players didn't prove that we'd go any further if we kept them. Our situation for the future might have been better, but again, Melo being on the team wasn't the problem. Outside the 2012-2013 season (which I think was an excellent win now roster even though maybe you think they shouldn't have been going that route), the organization made some awful moves. Actually, I feel like naming more from the post-Denver trade. Here's a list:

- Trading a pick for Bargnani for who knows why
- Woodson favoritism to Melo and J.R. Smith and nothing being done about it by the organization for too long
- Phil Jackson giving Melo a no trade clause with his injuries, age, and type of play
- Phil Jackson trashing Melo, especially in public
- Phil Jackson and the triangle thing without coaching the team himself
- Tim Hardaway Jr.'s deal, which isn't the worst, but way too much when he might have been had for much less, but this is what makes it even more mind boggling...
- Ron Baker's deal. I still can't fathom this. He was what? Gonna get the minimum? And they gave him 4.something a year for two years? You don't need to give more money to have a youth movement. We had nothing left to give. Heck, they could have had Derrick Rose if they wanted to, at least cap wise. So they could have done something with that money.

So even if you hated the Melo deal, it wasn't back backbreaking by any stretch of the imagination. It was the organization. If they're in this situation again like with the one in Denver, the Knicks should absolutely not do it.

Yeah I left out Moz and I also left out Anthony Randolph who was a lottery pick himself. I just focused on the better parts of the trade, particularly looking at it from the angle of rebuilding.

I disagree on the Melo trade because it only had a peak shelf life, that was short. Yeah Amar'e could've been amnestied blah blah blah...keep in mind amnesty was not in play until after the deal was consummated. The Melo trade also set us back in the sense that any time a team wants to do a deal with us guess what they want? They want everything even things they know we don't have to give.

I do agree with you, no doubt Gallo and Chandler didn't go on to become All-Stars or even get the Nugz to the playoffs every yr but once again this isn't the point...

Gallo in a round about way got Denver Paul Milsap. So say we kept him and we didn't want a player per say maybe we get a pick or two for him, same with Chandler. Say we kept losing too. We either come out better with rebuilding through the draft by the time #kporzee comes around or we flip those picks/assets in a more appropriate deal. Once again it's about the value of the assets not what the asset's stat sheet says.

Broadway

All Star
So according to Pablo Torre...Kyrie wants New York Knicks badly...based on "I'm Coming Home" odd sourcing and Lebron is talking to his buddy ole pal James Jones to see if Josh Jackson is available in Phx...lol

So according to Pablo Torre...Kyrie wants New York Knicks badly...based on "I'm Coming Home" odd sourcing and Lebron is talking to his buddy ole pal James Jones to see if Josh Jackson is available in Phx...lol

Yeah, and right before The Decision Chad Ochocinco said that Lebron was coming to the Knicks. I don't even want Kyrie, but I take offense when these BS reports get Knicks fans all pumped up for disappointment.

mafra

Legend

SO, KI wants to come to NY (he wants to come home, be the man, do for NY what LJ did for CLE, and sees KP, WHG, THjr as a nice young core to play with)....

It does seem odd, or coincidental, that rumors surfaced this weekend that a Melo deal to HOU was "on the verge" of happening early this week; Then, wham... silence.

At the same time, IRVING has gone dark on CLE.

Of the 4 teams KI listed, NYK makes the most sense of what KI wants... MIA doesn't have much to offer CLE that LJ covets; MINNY is perfect fit but unfortunately isn't a match until a mid-Dec trade (and even then it seems weird they would bring Wiggins back); SA would be best, but again... Spurs don't have more than NYK to give.

Basically, if Melo is what he thinks he is, and is as respected by his peers, then Lebron would be behind the scenes pushing hard for a deal to bring his buddy there.

CLE-PHO-NYK seems like a perfect match... Horny's ties to them, James Jones there...

If Cavs can get Bledsoe and Melo... PHO gets Something... NYK gets KI... NY deals a pick (or 2)...

Still a mighty long shot... but with Lebron and KI here... NY is in play until Melo or KI is dealt elsewhere.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, and right before The Decision Chad Ochocinco said that Lebron was coming to the Knicks. I don't even want Kyrie, but I take offense when these BS reports get Knicks fans all pumped up for disappointment.

I don't believe either rumor but if Lebron is talking to Phx because James Jones is head head of basketball operations...then it's on behalf of getting Jackson to Cleveland and Irving to Phx not some convoluted pipe dream 3-4way team trade.

Carmelo and Lebron have had multiple opportunities to play with each other and have spoken on it publicly but of all the times to be quiet/distant with each other, they are now. They aren't that interested it's very telling. They like controlling their own situations separate of each and this is how they've operated their whole career. Notice there have been plenty rumors leaked but not 1 of Lebron and Melo keeping in touch with each other and hoping to link up

Heck Melo was recently playing basketball with Kyrie/Butler/Lou Williams/Bobby Brown in the same gym where a few days later Harden/CP3/Ariza were playing. Melo has sent all signals where he wants to be and it ain't Cleveland.

The only way we're in play as of now is to assist in Kyrie establishing his trade value, that's it.

Oh and btw Mike Miller said he spoke to Kyrie recently(no third party source) straight from the horses mouth about joining Denver. He said although not on his short list...wouldn't reveal exactly what was said but that Kyrie would welcome an opportunity to land there. He said Kyrie has to start thinking along these lines because he doesn't control where he gets traded.

Is this to be taken at face value..ummmm nope but I'll believe this slightly more if Miller actually spoke to the man instead of sourcing someone who knows the man speaking for the man.

mafra

Legend
I don't believe either rumor but if Lebron is talking to Phx because James Jones is head head of basketball operations...then it's on behalf of getting Jackson to Cleveland and Irving to Phx not some convoluted pipe dream 3-4way team trade.

Carmelo and Lebron have had multiple opportunities to play with each other and have spoken on it publicly but of all the times to be quiet/distant with each other, they are now. They aren't that interested it's very telling. They like controlling their own situations separate of each and this is how they've operated their whole career. Notice there have been plenty rumors leaked but not 1 of Lebron and Melo keeping in touch with each other and hoping to link up

Heck Melo was recently playing basketball with Kyrie/Butler/Lou Williams/Bobby Brown in the same gym where a few days later Harden/CP3/Ariza were playing. Melo has sent all signals where he wants to be and it ain't Cleveland.

The only way we're in play as of now is to assist in Kyrie establishing his trade value, that's it.

Oh and btw Mike Miller said he spoke to Kyrie recently(no third party source) straight from the horses mouth about joining Denver. He said although not on his short list...wouldn't reveal exactly what was said but that Kyrie would welcome an opportunity to land there. He said Kyrie has to start thinking along these lines because he doesn't control where he gets traded.

Is this to be taken at face value..ummmm nope but I'll believe this slightly more if Miller actually spoke to the man instead of sourcing someone who knows the man speaking for the man.

Josh Jax? How does trading for JJ help CLE win a title this year? If Lebron is bolting CLE for LAK after this season..... why does he want a rookie or care about gettting CLE a young prospect? That doesn't make sense, from Lebron's perspective. Do you honestly think Lebron prefers playing with JJ over Melo?

Irving does control his fate tho, in a sense, b/c he can stand firm and say I will only sign an extension with this team or that.

In other words, why would PHO or any team trade a young stud or multiple assets for a guy who could split in 2 years?

Indy got nada for PG bc he's a free agent next Summer. Ergo, package for KI won't be much more b/c he can decide to bolt in 2 years.

Now, if Indy waited they couldn't flipped PG for KI.... so by acting in haste they screwed themslevs.

Still, unless KI agrees to sign an extension.... PHO won't deal JJ.

And, remember, Lebron didn't want Wiggins.... so, he's not pushing for JJ (unless he plans on staying in CLE and is willing to eschew winning this season).

The only way CLE replaces KI is if Lebron gets Bledsoe and Melo. Otherwise, LJ will force CLe to keep KI and the Cavs are then screwed. LJ leaves next summer then KI after that.

So.... ball is in Gilbert's hands. Does he go for it this season? Or, does he start the post Lebron plan now? Post Lebron plan means get best deal for KI you can.... hope LJ asks for a trade by deadline. Otherwise, you roll dice and hope minor improvement at deadline help this team get to finals and somehow beat GSW. Third option, put together best team you can for this season.... try to win title 2 and reap financial benefits.

If I were Gilbert I realize KI is a goner in 2 years anyway (and Lebron next year).... so, I gamble and go for 1 more title. This makes much more sense bc for all we know JJ is a bust.

We know if CLe gets Bledso and Melo they'll be in the finals, and have a shot.

From NYK end, I say you either luck out and deal melo and a pick for KI or just stand pat, flip Melo to hOu when a deal you like arises.... then simply sign KI in 2 years.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend

Since CLE-INDY-DEN had a deal worked out for Paul George, Kevin Love, and Gary Harris... I can't see why CLE_DEN couldn't revisit a Kyrie Irving for Gary Harris, Kenneth K.Faired, E.Mudiay (and perhaps a pick).

Broadway

All Star
Josh Jax? How does trading for JJ help CLE win a title this year? If Lebron is bolting CLE for LAK after this season..... why does he want a rookie or care about gettting CLE a young prospect? That doesn't make sense, from Lebron's perspective. Do you honestly think Lebron prefers playing with JJ over Melo?

Irving does control his fate tho, in a sense, b/c he can stand firm and say I will only sign an extension with this team or that.

In other words, why would PHO or any team trade a young stud or multiple assets for a guy who could split in 2 years?

Indy got nada for PG bc he's a free agent next Summer. Ergo, package for KI won't be much more b/c he can decide to bolt in 2 years.

Now, if Indy waited they couldn't flipped PG for KI.... so by acting in haste they screwed themslevs.

Still, unless KI agrees to sign an extension.... PHO won't deal JJ.

And, remember, Lebron didn't want Wiggins.... so, he's not pushing for JJ (unless he plans on staying in CLE and is willing to eschew winning this season).

The only way CLE replaces KI is if Lebron gets Bledsoe and Melo. Otherwise, LJ will force CLe to keep KI and the Cavs are then screwed. LJ leaves next summer then KI after that.

So.... ball is in Gilbert's hands. Does he go for it this season? Or, does he start the post Lebron plan now? Post Lebron plan means get best deal for KI you can.... hope LJ asks for a trade by deadline. Otherwise, you roll dice and hope minor improvement at deadline help this team get to finals and somehow beat GSW. Third option, put together best team you can for this season.... try to win title 2 and reap financial benefits.

If I were Gilbert I realize KI is a goner in 2 years anyway (and Lebron next year).... so, I gamble and go for 1 more title. This makes much more sense bc for all we know JJ is a bust.

We know if CLe gets Bledso and Melo they'll be in the finals, and have a shot.

From NYK end, I say you either luck out and deal melo and a pick for KI or just stand pat, flip Melo to hOu when a deal you like arises.... then simply sign KI in 2 years.

Solid points but I'm one who didn't believe either rumor...

Kyrie wanting Knicks badly and Lebron working back channels with Phx

I wasn't trying to make detailed sense of either, all I said if Lebron is talking to Jones it's for a Kyire deal period but here's what Cavs assistant GM had to say on the latter

As much as I can't stand Windhort's bias, he's usally fairly on point when it comes to Lebron and Cavs info. He even slipped yesterday on air and said Lebron is leaving then auto corrected himself and said if he leaves...lol Gotta pay attention closely or you'll get lost in the sauce. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Anyway what I figured, highlighted this a few times here since the beginning of July. Lebron is doing his thing enjoying his summer. He's not overly concerned about the extra stuff. He may have influenced some under the radar happenings Rose and Green but by and large he's been operating below the fray. If he's communicating to some degree as Windhorst pointed out then why no major Melo leaks? He doesn't care enough to be that involved. I wouldn't put it past Lebron wanting to land in Houston himself next yr with or without Melo.

Kyrie has some leverage but Cleveland loses way more waiting to move him(usually never pays to wait). Good point on Kyrie extending but if this PG13 works out in OKC it could be a game changer for Kyrie, maybe. Same thing of Melo, if he's not going to extend and opt out next yr no team will step up and best a Ryan Anderson offer(which is ironic because how come we haven't heard a strong rumor of a team attempting to do so?) No one wants this clown to this degree is why. Lebron is not campaigning for him to come to Cleveland, which weakens the ability to possibly create any bidding war

I believe this Kyrie issue has become more of a basketball challenge to Lebron and he's internalizing it for at least this season. As far Phx well if Rose and Kyrie can work I assume Bledsoe and Jackson for Kyrie resulting in Bledsoe and Rose can work too. Not that I care. Usually I base my points making sense for every team/player in any given situation no matter the circumstances and not what would necessarily make sense to me personally or what I would prefer.

Kyrie makes a silly little video yesterday and all of a sudden everyone has all this inside information GTFOH is what I say!!!

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Since CLE-INDY-DEN had a deal worked out for Paul George, Kevin Love, and Gary Harris... I can't see why CLE_DEN couldn't revisit a Kyrie Irving for Gary Harris, Kenneth K.Faired, E.Mudiay (and perhaps a pick).

Because Cleveland wanted PG13...Indy wanted the other players. Fair trade may not be what Cleveland wants, who knows. They may use Denver potentially to set asking price ultra competitive

mafra

Legend
Because Cleveland wanted PG13...Indy wanted the other players. Fair trade may not be what Cleveland wants, who knows. They may use Denver potentially to set asking price ultra competitive

It pretty much boils down to how motivated CLE truly is to make a trade. Even if they don't feel they have enough to beat GSW, they know the team as-is will reach Finals.

So, why deal Kyrie now? Might as well wait and see what plays out and if it's not working.... make a deal in Jan and go from there.

From cLE point of view, too much risk breaking up Irving-LJ now.

This is why I've felt all along.... only way kyrie gets dealt now is if Lebron is demanding Melo and Bledsoe be brought in or a team like PHO blows them away.

As for NY.... again.... sit tight and sign guys as free agents. We saw with melo how trading for these types don't help.

Suck. Improve with experience. Draft well. Then strike during free agency come summer 2019.... and, then, see the field and make that necessary trade.... if need be.

...it's happening again. A star offensive player who plays horrible defense wants to come here and we are going to attempt to gut our assets to get him. IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!