Melo Trade Rumors

mafra

Legend
Sit back n wait it out .. Houston wants Melo to compete with Wolves, OKC, Spurs, and Warriors in the playoff

Will be interesting to see if 2 perennial losers (Paul and Melo) and Mr.7 points in elimination game can put something together.

West is loaded. NO would win East but might not even make playoffs out west.

Broadway

All Star
If Melo stays in NYK... plays about 28 minutes a game, used mostly as a reserve and doesn't finish games... He most certainly would exercise his ETO. If Melo was a free agent today, he would get a 2-3 year deal at roughly 16 per.... Anyway, the point is mute b/c we can't expect Dolan to pay Melo 50 mil to go chase a ring with his banana boat buddy. That's insane. Why help HOU? Why help Melo? Keep him and make his life miserable and he'll opt out or waste the final 2 years of his prime rooting on the bench.

Gaining cap space to absorb a bad contract... for the 18th pick in the 2019 draft? That's not worth 30 mil, IMHO.

MELO wants out now... if he had control he would opt out and crawl to HOU.

This is a business folks. We have to take emotion out of the equation. It's a calculated gamble, worth 30 mil, to play chicken with Melo and dare him to stay for the 2018-2019 campaign. Now, of course, Melo could stay.... out of spite... but then he is an expiring contract, and should be able to fetch as much as he's getting for us now. And, pressure would be on him to move to a contender... or else, what does that say about him? And we know Melo cares about 2 things: family and his brand. Hard to build an empire off the court when you're labeled the bum who wouldn't compete for a title...

Anyway, if I were Dolan... I would roll the dice and take this gamble.

I could care less if we're helping Houston or not, that's emotional if any fan is thinking this way. Once Melo is gone our concern for him and where he lands is irrelevant.

I want him gone for many of different reasons that coincides with our future and on court functionality. It's strictly about basketball and more immediate flexibility. If he's back based on how #kporzee feels about him and THJR recent expressions....naaaahhhhhhh he's not going to be benched or minutes cut back to that degree. Keep in mind we really don't have a player at the 3 and obviously if he's still on the team he'd be leaned upon to fill that spot. If we were to go that route or being prickish to him especially after how Phil treated him and the league took note of this after firing Phil it would be Free Agent destination suicide.

I've echoed this myself but in reality it's not the professional thing to do and it's not something seen done to a "prominent star" of a team in the NBA. Melo on the flipside could play hookie himself and you're paying him $50mil to take up a spot on the team for nothing.

One thing Melo doesn't want is to be waived/bought out...the latter he could control because a buyout has to be negotiated. In either scenario it actually hurts his ability to maximize his earnings. Even if he walked to the Rockets it will be for a low dollar amount and in order to get another lucrative deal he has to sign with a team who has cap room because his Bird's Rights are lost. Good luck to Houston trying to retain him in such scenario.

He'd have his buyout amount on our books and whatever he makes there as an offset that can't exceed combined what he's make as a maximum salary player and we can stretch whatever remains over 5yrs.

Keep this in mind too folks, trades could result in a team taking back as much as 125% on salary, so understand trading is not all what it may be cracked up to be...Melo has a kicker which probably will require taking back some ugly salary.

mafra

Legend
I could care less if we're helping Houston or not, that's emotional if any fan is thinking this way. Once Melo is gone our concern for him and where he lands is irrelevant.

I want him gone for many of different reasons that coincides with our future and on court functionality. It's strictly about basketball and more immediate flexibility. If he's back based on how #kporzee feels about him and THJR recent expressions....naaaahhhhhhh he's not going to be benched or minutes cut back to that degree. Keep in mind we really don't have a player at the 3 and obviously if he's still on the team he'd be leaned upon to fill that spot. If we were to go that route or being prickish to him especially after how Phil treated him and the league took note of this after firing Phil it would be Free Agent destination suicide.

I've echoed this myself but in reality it's not the professional thing to do and it's not something seen done to a "prominent star" of a team in the NBA. Melo on the flipside could play hookie himself and you're paying him $50mil to take up a spot on the team for nothing.

One thing Melo doesn't want is to be waived/bought out...the latter he could control because a buyout has to be negotiated. In either scenario it actually hurts his ability to maximize his earnings. Even if he walked to the Rockets it will be for a low dollar amount and in order to get another lucrative deal he has to sign with a team who has cap room because his Bird's Rights are lost. Good luck to Houston trying to retain him in such scenario.

He'd have his buyout amount on our books and whatever he makes there as an offset that can't exceed combined what he's make as a maximum salary player and we can stretch whatever remains over 5yrs.

Keep this in mind too folks, trades could result in a team taking back as much as 125% on salary, so understand trading is not all what it may be cracked up to be...Melo has a kicker which probably will require taking back some ugly salary.

If Melo plays hookie then NYK has recourse to void contract... It's easy to tell somebody else to throw away 30 million... But if it were me, NO WAY! Again, why should Dolan buy out Melo for final 2 years when odds are Melo opts out after this year. Sure, some feel he wont opt out... But that's a 30 mil bet I would take if I were Dolan... I can always buy him out next summer.

That's just me.

And why on Earth would I want to have Melo on the books for the 2022 season? We made this mistake with Ewing.... Just let the contract die out and be done with it. If anything, save the stretch provision for Noah. We made this mistake too, when we used this before on Billups instead of Amar'e.

I think a trade will happen anyway, so this is mute. But, if not.... just keep Melo for 1 more season and see what happens next July.

tiger0330

Legend
Now supposedly the Pels are in the discussion. Before this is all over there will probably be 5 players traded and 3 draft choices when all you wanted to do was move Melo and Ryno. 2 yd line my foot.

paris401

Starter
If Melo stays in NYK... plays about 28 minutes a game, used mostly as a reserve and doesn't finish games... He most certainly would exercise his ETO. If Melo was a free agent today, he would get a 2-3 year deal at roughly 16 per.... Anyway, the point is mute b/c we can't expect Dolan to pay Melo 50 mil to go chase a ring with his banana boat buddy. That's insane. Why help HOU? Why help Melo? Keep him and make his life miserable and he'll opt out or waste the final 2 years of his prime rooting on the bench.

Gaining cap space to absorb a bad contract... for the 18th pick in the 2019 draft? That's not worth 30 mil, IMHO.

MELO wants out now... if he had control he would opt out and crawl to HOU.

This is a business folks. We have to take emotion out of the equation. It's a calculated gamble, worth 30 mil, to play chicken with Melo and dare him to stay for the 2018-2019 campaign. Now, of course, Melo could stay.... out of spite... but then he is an expiring contract, and should be able to fetch as much as he's getting for us now. And, pressure would be on him to move to a contender... or else, what does that say about him? And we know Melo cares about 2 things: family and his brand. Hard to build an empire off the court when you're labeled the bum who wouldn't compete for a title...

if he stays the next 2years in ny he gets 52/53m- why would he waive his NTC for a 2-3 year deal at 16 per???... and that Me-Lo cares about 2things... brand..maybe... family... that's a load of B.S..... he has said he wants to be close to his kid... ok'ing a trade to Houston.... yea u will see your kid twice a year... when Houston is in town, and allstar week when u don't make the squad... he's a low-life....

Broadway

All Star
if he stays the next 2years in ny he gets 52/53m- why would he waive his NTC for a 2-3 year deal at 16 per???... and that Me-Lo cares about 2things... brand..maybe... family... that's a load of B.S..... he has said he wants to be close to his kid... ok'ing a trade to Houston.... yea u will see your kid twice a year... when Houston is in town, and allstar week when u don't make the squad... he's a low-life....

It's pretty clear why Melo is pushing for a trade and one thing he's not doing is walking away from money, especially nearly $30mil + kicker in one season. He's not going to take money from just any team after his contract expires. What he doesn't want is his current contract to expire naturally.

mafra

Legend

Why would Melo take 1 year 27 mil next year to play for a loser when he can sign a deal for 3 year 48 mil or 2 year 36 to play on a winner. His value the year after his contract runs out might reduce him to a 1 year deal MLE type contract.

Basically, Melo has 1 more multi-year deal left in him, and that's if he shows he still can score 20 a game and he is a free agent next summer.

Again, this is business and there are always risks in business.

I'm betting Melo will look for his last contract. If not, big deal.... Melo opts in and I got my money's worth from him.

Buy out or waive is a last resort. Remember, Lebron, Wade, Paul are all free agents next summer..... odds are most of them end up together somewhere.

Melo leaves to join them? Maybe they come to Ny? Lol.

It's funny, this Melo to Houston trade has become so complicated and taken so long, it's almost as if a team with virtually no assets shouldn't be able to trade for another team's "star" player, regardless of how bad that player wants to go there.

mafra

Legend
Apparently the thing holding up this deal is nobody wants the Ryno contract.

But, as noted in NYDN:

"There is another scenario that needs to be considered. If the Knicks and Rockets can't make it work, Anthony could always find himself back in a Knicks uniform.

Terrible idea, you say? Well, consider that Carmelo's present value is low. If he plays for the Knicks and becomes an All Star again in the post-Phil Jackson era that will only help his trade value. Perhaps by then, Anthony would be open considering other teams."

And, I may add, if the triangle was holding Melo back.... along with the PHil drama.... Melo's value only increases if he comes out Nov-Jan scoring 25 a game...

Broadway

All Star
Pelicans are rumored to want Anderson possibly...

Melo's value will not increase, he'll be back on a team with a system built around #kporzee and utilizing it's youth. Melo could also get hurt. Teams know who he is his ppg output will not impact trade offers. He has a ton of mileage on his body. He only wants to play for a couple teams. He'll be a rental at best around deadline time and we saw what rental players will get you and he'll be one of the oldest yet.

Even when he said he's willing to be traded, no one is truly stepping up with offers. His story is written as is

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I want you all to be prepared. I mean, really prepared. This trade is going to be a massacre for us. I can feel it in my bones. This trade will be remembered as the great Mills Massacre. Everyone hold hands and pray.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Pelicans are rumored to want Anderson possibly...

Melo's value will not increase, he'll be back on a team with a system built around #kporzee and utilizing it's youth. Melo could also get hurt. Teams know who he is his ppg output will not impact trade offers. He has a ton of mileage on his body. He only wants to play for a couple teams. He'll be a rental at best around deadline time and we saw what rental players will get you and he'll be one of the oldest yet.

Even when he said he's willing to be traded, no one is truly stepping up with offers. His story is written as is
Wasn't Anderson not happy there? Obviously things have changed there with Cousins, but yeah. Maybe it wasn't anything big. If they need three point shooting he could be a big upgrade for them. Maybe the missing piece.

mafra

Legend
POR has contracts they wish to shed;

NYK inquired about a JH player he liked -- 27 yr-old Eric Bledsoe;

NO wants in.... there was this rumor recently too:

"According to Michael Scotto of Basketball Insiders, the team has discussed sending Reggie Jackson to the New Orleans Pelicans in exchange for E'Twaun Moore and Alexis Ajinca"

HOU wants to grab Melo while dumping Ryno but only have a 2020 first to offer (and some kid from China).

This pretty much sums up all the players.

If NYK gets Moore, Frank Jax and Bledsoe that would be fantastic.

I think if a trade happens these are the teams..., question is... who gets Ryno?

DET likes Lee
HOU likes Melo
NO likes Reggie Jax
NYK likes Bledsoe
Nets like Crabbe and can absorb maybe?

This is gonna be funny

tiger0330

Legend
POR has contracts they wish to shed;

NYK inquired about a JH player he liked -- 27 yr-old Eric Bledsoe;

NO wants in.... there was this rumor recently too:

"According to Michael Scotto of Basketball Insiders, the team has discussed sending Reggie Jackson to the New Orleans Pelicans in exchange for E'Twaun Moore and Alexis Ajinca"

HOU wants to grab Melo while dumping Ryno but only have a 2020 first to offer (and some kid from China).

This pretty much sums up all the players.

If NYK gets Moore, Frank Jax and Bledsoe that would be fantastic.

I think if a trade happens these are the teams..., question is... who gets Ryno?

DET likes Lee
HOU likes Melo
NO likes Reggie JaxB
NYK likes Bledsoe
Nets like Crabbe and can absorb maybe?

This is gonna be funny
If all those players are involved, Morey will be a genius if he pulls it off. Doesn't have a snowballs chance in happening though.

mafra

Legend
HOU wants to swap Ryan Anderson for Melo; to do this, they remove the protection on the 2018 1st they've already dealt.... this allows them to trade their 2020 1st.

POR might take Ryno, b/c they want to move Crabbe and Turner and Harkless.

Nets signed Crabbe but POR matched, so maybe Nets take that contract if POR tosses in a 1st.

NYK wants Bledsoe tho.... so, would they take Harkless or Turner? Or flip them to PHO for EB?

Then there's NO sitting there.... Along with Minny....

And now with our new GM, maybe he convinces SAC or ORL or DET to get involved.

I know a 4 team deal is hard, but as i just noted.... there's hope bc there are a bunch of motivated parties.

mafra

Legend
But.... I'm also thinking now with Simmons out there.... contact his camp and see what he wants and what it takes to make him a NYK.

If he'll sign, then trade Melo for Ryno and a 1st and use savings to squeeze JS in..... then work out Ryno trade next (even if we flip him for Harkless and Crabbe).