Melo Trade Rumors

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have paused Carmelo Anthony trade talks with Houston and Cleveland, according to ESPN.com.

This probably has a lot to do with the Knicks hiring Scott Perry to be their new general manager. The Knicks aren't really in a rush to get a deal done anyway, especially since the Rockets and Cavs aren't oozing with young talent or draft picks.

-------/

The key here, if you notice, is it seems like CLE is trying to get back involved here.

The Knicks have paused Carmelo Anthony trade talks with Houston and Cleveland, according to ESPN.com.

This probably has a lot to do with the Knicks hiring Scott Perry to be their new general manager. The Knicks aren't really in a rush to get a deal done anyway, especially since the Rockets and Cavs aren't oozing with young talent or draft picks.

-------/

The key here, if you notice, is it seems like CLE is trying to get back involved here.

ESPN posted the story with a spin that the Knicks are reconsidering Melo's role with the franchise. Complete work of fiction. Trade talks have stalled because other front offices would find it a challenge to complete a game of Chutes and Ladders with Mills, let alone complete a complicated 4 team trade.

Broadway

All Star
ESPN posted the story with a spin that the Knicks are reconsidering Melo's role with the franchise. Complete work of fiction. Trade talks have stalled because other front offices would find it a challenge to complete a game of Chutes and Ladders with Mills, let alone complete a complicated 4 team trade.

This franchise clearly doesn't have a clue remember they said just a couple days ago....youth, 25yrs and younger, game plan around #kporzee. Even when we get a small sample size of good news this franchise always manages to 1-up with the most negative set of circumstances.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I think Mafra is right that the pause is because Perry is about to be hired. Maybe he had some ideas about how to handle the Melo situation that he shared with Mills in his interview.

Though I think the Knicks are going to be hard pressed to find a deal better than Ryno, 2020 1st and about 8M in cap space after dealing him. But maybe Perry has some ideas on how to get a better deal for Melo.

It seems likely that the Knicks are going to ask Melo, yet again, to agree to be traded somewhere other than Houston or Cleveland. How are they going to leverage him? By threatening him with another year of his career lost to playing for us.

and1

Rotation player
I think Mafra is right that the pause is because Perry is about to be hired. Maybe he had some ideas about how to handle the Melo situation that he shared with Mills in his interview.

Though I think the Knicks are going to be hard pressed to find a deal better than Ryno, 2020 1st and about 8M in cap space after dealing him. But maybe Perry has some ideas on how to get a better deal for Melo.

i wouldn't be surprised if perry is thinking about waiting until the mid-season trade deadline, to see which teams wanted or needed him the most for their playoff push. bodies drop during the season, a playoff bound team suddenly becomes threatened, things happen, someone might get desperate. if this is the case, and i'm really getting the feeling that it is, we just better hope that melo isn't one of the bodies to drop along the way, because then this all just completely blows up. personally i'm hoping they get it done before the season starts, because anything that can go wrong for the knicks probably will go wrong, and even with this new guy i don't trust them to be savvy enough to pull off anything competent. they're too busy thinking about their money to be competent about almost everything else.

mafra

Legend
Lol... love it Broadway. Tease Melo. Screw him!

According to the New York Post, the Knicks are hoping that Carmelo Anthony is willing to expand the list of teams to which he would accept a trade.
It was reported on Thursday that the Knicks had put a pause on trade talks and were going to "hit the reset button." New York clearly felt they were not getting fair value in return for Melo. With a new GM hired, the Knicks front office wants to sit down with Anthony and see if he would be interested in staying in New York for another season, or if he'd be open to waiving his no-trade clause for teams outside of Cleveland and Houston.

mafra

Legend
Heard an "inside" report saying what stalled the 4-team was nobody wants Leonard from POR.

Trade machine accepted this offer:

Melo to HOU
RYNO to POR
Knight and Harkless to NY
Randle, 2 NGC from HOU to POR

This was basically it..... but it only works if NYK takes back Leonard.

HOU gets their guy; POR gets to dump 2 bad contract and PHO gets to dump Knight.

I wonder if NY does this, especially if they get 2 first round picks to do this deal.

Heard an "inside" report saying what stalled the 4-team was nobody wants Leonard from POR.

Melo to HOU
RYNO to POR

HOU gets their guy; POR gets to dump 2 bad contract and PHO gets to dump Knight.

I wonder if NY does this, especially if they get 2 first round picks to do this deal.

Taking Harkless and Knight's contracts wouldn't be the end of the world. Definitely worth it to get 2 1st rounders.

Also taking Leonard? Sure, what the hell.

tiger0330

Legend

Melo to HOU
RYNO to POR

I think I said by the time this is done 5 players and 3 draft picks would be on the move. If KP weren't around the Knicks might take on Ryno but he's an expensive backup with KP here. This is the first test for our new GM Perry, let's see if he can get something done while acquiring some picks for the future. If we have to take on a bad contract or two that go beyond Melo's deal that might be worth acquiring some draft picks.

I don't see what trading Ryno for Harkless and Leonard does for POR. They need cap relief period, and trading for Ryno actually makes their cap situation worse. It has to be more like Evan Turner and Harkless or Leonard, if they take on Ryno my guess would be Leonard would be odd man out. They would get about 7M in salary back with a trade of Ryno for Leonard/Turner and triple that in luxury tax.

mafra

Legend
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com reports that Carmelo Anthony is "counting on" the Knicks to trade him to the Rockets.
Woj adds that Melo expects the Knicks to resume their trade talks after their recent front office changes. Anthony is expected to waive his no-trade clause, so it would appear it may be Houston or bust for the 10-time All-Star to sign off on a move. Anthony's value took a hit after the Phil Jackson disaster, but it sounds like he may be traded at some point.

Broadway

All Star
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com reports that Carmelo Anthony is "counting on" the Knicks to trade him to the Rockets.
Woj adds that Melo expects the Knicks to resume their trade talks after their recent front office changes. Anthony is expected to waive his no-trade clause, so it would appear it may be Houston or bust for the 10-time All-Star to sign off on a move. Anthony's value took a hit after the Phil Jackson disaster, but it sounds like he may be traded at some point.

Essentially trade him or else Leon Rose will make this an even more miserable situation than it already has been and don't expect to get much back for him. We're where we've always been for some time with Melo. Hopefully Perry makes quick work of whatever Knicks are trying to accomplish so we can get past this. Perry doesn't need to look at this as any defining moment on his 5yr contractual legacy, his will start first move post Melo trade. The Melo situation should've been long resolved before his hire.

Once upon a time, Melo was supposed to deliver Chris Paul to the Knicks. We never committed to delivering him to Chris Paul. No reason to make a trade that makes our cap situation even worse if it doesn't net us something good in return.

Melo can wait another year and then decline his player option at the end of the year, if he wants to choose his destiny so badly.

Broadway

All Star
Begley says Portland wants no parts of helping send Melo to Houston but instead wants Melo in Portland if possible.

Begley says Portland wants no parts of helping send Melo to Houston but instead wants Melo in Portland if possible.

The rest of the league could figure out how to do a 27-way trade before NY, Houston, and Portland could figure out how to do a 3-way trade.

mafra

Legend

"One of the teams that New York and Houston had hoped would facilitate a multiteam trade for Anthony -- the Portland Trail Blazers -- plans to participate in a deal for Anthony only if he decides to expand his no-trade clause to include the Trail Blazers, league sources told ESPN.

Portland believes the addition of a player such as Anthony would furnish it with talent and depth comparable to those of the top Western Conference contenders, except for the Golden State Warriors, league sources said. Because of that, the Blazers have little, if any, inclination to facilitate an Anthony deal that would land him with a Western Conference rival such as Houston, league sources said."

mafra

Legend
Melo to HOU
Ryno, Randle, 2 NGC to PHO
Bledsoe, Knight, 2020 1st to NYK

This trade works. PHO wants to move Knight and start the kid. They add a stretch 4 to pair with Booker, rookie, TC.

tiger0330

Legend
mafra, I think thats what we were saying even before Melo trade rumors got hot and heavy that POR would be a great fit for Melo and I said I don't think he'd consent to go there. You said POR is a great area for families but now that he's single I don't think that matters.

He's not going to POR despite that great back court, it's HOU or nothing this year. If POR does something in the playoffs he may change his mind in his option year.

This is becoming more and more crazy that Melo and our front office can't work out an expanded list of teams for Melo to waive his NTC.

We are not going to work something good out with Houston or Cleveland. Melo has a player option for next year. He can go whenever he wants that can generate cap space for him in 2018.

Stupid banana boat.