Anthony Randolph-19 pts 10 boards

TakMan

Rotation player
It was a dumb trade from the word go. I love that we have Melo and Billups, but as much as Denver's GM tried to make it look like they got raped, it was us who took an ass pounding. Not a big one, but we definitely sold too much.

Wasn't the best seeing Chandler go. Wasn't thrilled about Felton leaving either. Gallinari and Mozgov left me unaffected. Don't think many can argue that Billups and Anthony are class; something that none of our outgoing players were. Knicks may not have impressed with the role players they brought in, but they were definitely what was needed. Not one of the players that the Knicks lost were able to defend. Now the Knicks can look forward to posting the same attacking stats, with -by the looks of it- much healthier defensive displays.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Wasn't the best seeing Chandler go. Wasn't thrilled about Felton leaving either. Gallinari and Mozgov left me unaffected. Don't think many can argue that Billups and Anthony are class; something that none of our outgoing players were. Knicks may not have impressed with the role players they brought in, but they were definitely what was needed. Not one of the players that the Knicks lost were able to defend. Now the Knicks can look forward to posting the same attacking stats, with -by the looks of it- much healthier defensive displays.

Oh really? Mozgov and Gallo were the main detractors for me lol.

No real center and no sniper are 2 things were missing now.

But you're right. The defense is WAY better. Jefferies is a retard, but hes still got his upsides. He'll be good for us in postseason.

I think Chandler was a good defender. Felton was a better 1 on 1 defender than billups IMHO. But not a better team defender in any way. Billups learned a lot of that in Detroit. That was an amazing defensive team

tiger0330

Legend
I was under the impression that the Knicks could not have acquired Anthony/Billups without involving Minnesota in the trade as they had a very big Eddy Curry sitting on a very big salary. Maybe I got that wrong.
No you're right. We needed to clear cap space to bring the new guys in and the price was to trade AR's potential for it but to get a guy like Brewer and buy him out didn't make sense. Didn't take him long to find another gig with one of the best teams in the NBA. If he is good enough to play for Dallas, he's not good enough to play for the Knicks? smh

TakMan

Rotation player
That Detroit team was all about defence. I just seem to recall any PG Felton came up against seemed to have those 'one off' performances where one thought Chamberlain's 100 point record was threatened. Billups isn't a great defender but he's very smart and plays for the team. Dunno much about Derrick Brown but I've been well impressed by ol' man Carter and Jeffries offers both perimeter and inside 'D'. Gallinari was all about the long range shot and looking for the foul. Williams, Douglas, Billups, Walker, can do that even better -at times- than Gallinari. Mozgov I feel was more of a project and would not have helped substantially this year.

TakMan

Rotation player
No you're right. We needed to clear cap space to bring the new guys in and the price was to trade AR's potential for it but to get a guy like Brewer and buy him out didn't make sense. Didn't take him long to find another gig with one of the best teams in the NBA. If he is good enough to play for Dallas, he's not good enough to play for the Knicks? smh

I didn't get the Brewer thing either. Decent on both defence and offence. + he was only 25. He was the one role player I was most looking forward to watch in a Knicks Jersey. Makes no sense. The only counter argument I find slightly compelling is that he wanted major playing time which was not guaranteed therefore he requested to leave. At least I hope it went something like that.

mafra

Legend
Man, didn't we all think AR would fill that roll occupied by Boris Diaw? Such high hopes.

THE GOOD NEWS... This just makes D'antoni's seat even hotter. First it was Darko, then Randolph. Walsh brought in 2 centers. Young, lottery picks with potential... All he asked for was coach to grrom them. Walsh particularly had a crush on AR. First, he brings in a traditional-type C in Darko, and when coach complained that he need an unconventional BIG to run the C in his unique system, our GM gets him AR... and he never even unwraps the packaging and gives him some play.

I hope AR blows up and plays great. Just another hit MD takes. And after we underachieve next year... he'll be canned. Heck, if IT returns (and Walsh is not extended)... coach wont be here next season. Unfortunatley, AR has a solid 10 years ahead of him...

AR & Corey Brewer are 2 plays that could have played roles on a title run for us. A big who runs, blocks shots and a Bruce Bowen type wing-stopper. NOW, we have to go out this summer and find those players all ove again.

p0nder

Starter
AR has a long way to go. We are in WIN NOW mode. AR never deserved more playing time and we couldn't afford to give him much. Same as with Mozgov. Moz got the call when we had some injuries and made the most of his opportunity. AR never stepped up, tho he never really got the chance...

But you can't blame that on the coach. We can't sit here and say "oh we NEED to make the playoffs or the coach should be fired" but then get upset with him for not playing project young unproven players. That shit doesn't win you ball games. It might have been good for his trade value but honestly, we came out far ahead of everyone at the trade deadline. I'm not upset at all about what we got in return for our players. (2 role players, 2 RAW project players and the league avg PG for MR. Big Shot and Little New York).

As far as i can tell D'ant getting these guys to gel quickly gives him MORE job security. As we go into the playoffs and the city gets excited I think his security gets even better. D'ant is also a pretty even headed guy and well liked by most of his players, particularly the top shelf talent. He can handle the heat of the media and exudes a lot of charm and nice guy demeanor. I think guys like Mafra and kiyaman are just going to have to get used to seeing D'antoni as the head coach for at least another 3 years. and you can add 5+ years if we bring New York a Championship.

Then again this is the city that drove JVG to leave coaching all together....

mafra

Legend
AR has a long way to go. We are in WIN NOW mode. AR never deserved more playing time and we couldn't afford to give him much. Same as with Mozgov. Moz got the call when we had some injuries and made the most of his opportunity. AR never stepped up, tho he never really got the chance...

But you can't blame that on the coach. We can't sit here and say "oh we NEED to make the playoffs or the coach should be fired" but then get upset with him for not playing project young unproven players. That shit doesn't win you ball games. It might have been good for his trade value but honestly, we came out far ahead of everyone at the trade deadline. I'm not upset at all about what we got in return for our players. (2 role players, 2 RAW project players and the league avg PG for MR. Big Shot and Little New York).

As far as i can tell D'ant getting these guys to gel quickly gives him MORE job security. As we go into the playoffs and the city gets excited I think his security gets even better. D'ant is also a pretty even headed guy and well liked by most of his players, particularly the top shelf talent. He can handle the heat of the media and exudes a lot of charm and nice guy demeanor. I think guys like Mafra and kiyaman are just going to have to get used to seeing D'antoni as the head coach for at least another 3 years. and you can add 5+ years if we bring New York a Championship.

Then again this is the city that drove JVG to leave coaching all together....

The city didn't drive JVG away... The owner did.

p0nder

Starter
^Good point Mafra. and JVG still loves NY.

but there were a LOT of fans calling for JVG's head, early and often. we put a ton of pressure on our coaches.

Blas

Benchwarmer
One game with the crappy Timberwolves against the crappy pistons.

He had flashes of great games in GS too. It never made GS better either.

It doesn't change his overall game. All he has is "potential." He has had years to improve and he is still the inconsistent low IQ basketball player.

And ONE game doesn't put Mike D on the hot seat, stop being dramatic.

mafra

Legend
^Good point Mafra. and JVG still loves NY.

but there were a LOT of fans calling for JVG's head, early and often. we put a ton of pressure on our coaches.

That is true. After the collapse of 2004... Torre was on the hot seat for years. Nature of the beast though. Parcells, Riley, JVG, Torre, now Rex and Tom C., all show that if you win it all... (well, not Rex yet) you'll be beloved even if we nitpick and run you out.

With all the good comes the bad.

COaches take a hit b/c they protect a player, so if a player muffs up a play... we rarely hear that it was the player's poor decision, and thus we ascribe the error to poor coaching or poor coaching decision.

I think D'antoni's arrogance and "I-know-more-than-you-u-peons" attitude is what rubs must his detractors the wrong way. Coach was also given a 2 year pass... and for that grace period we demanded this team OVER achieve this season. He never failed to meet expectations b/c there were none the last 2 seaons, and his roster was stripped... BUt at the same time he did fail to OVER achieve and shock the world.

MOSTLY, his messages were crossed. We were building for the future, yet he constantly played the vets? As if 29 wins was mroe important than 22?

I, for one, just can't stand his inattentiveness to defensive schemes. Maybe his reputation reinforces this more than reality. Maybe he does stress it, or makes adjustments that I just don't see. Who knows. I think MD has the target on him. He protects his players so I am sure he'll deal with it. Poor Patrick Ewing took it much worse... AND HE WAS RUN OUT OF TOWN by all those Sprewell bandwagon fans who hoped aboard and fled quickly thereafter.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
One game guys? Really?

How come I didn't see all those Gallo haters praising Gallo for his one 30 pt 9 reb game as a Nugget? Why? Because it was ONLY ONE game.

Relax guys. Give it half a season, and then go talk about Randolph, not after only one game.

richtree

Rotation player
One game guys? Really?

How come I didn't see all those Gallo haters praising Gallo for his one 30 pt 9 reb game as a Nugget? Why? Because it was ONLY ONE game.

Relax guys. Give it half a season, and then go talk about Randolph, not after only one game.

No, because Gallo did have great nights in NYC as well. D'Antoni's greatest weakness is his rotation, or lack of rotation. We had a team that lacked in length and rebounding. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN TELL ME THAT JARRED JEFFERIES IS SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAT ANTHONY RANDOLPH !!!!

Randolph should have gotten a chance here but D'Antoni's short rotation only works when he has 2 stars. He has that now, but lets see how he handles Anothny Carter and Toney Douglas both coming off the bench. He couldn't find a place for Corey Brewer and half the teams in the Eastern Conference want him. BUT JEFFERIES JUMPS BACK INTO ROTATION. LETS FACE IT JEFFERIES IS A BUMMMM.

It was against the Pistons, the same team that we saw Mozgov go 22 14 on AR is still trash the whole T wovles are stat padding they don't even care to win.

STAT1

Starter
One game with the crappy Timberwolves against the crappy pistons.

He had flashes of great games in GS too. It never made GS better either.

It doesn't change his overall game. All he has is "potential." He has had years to improve and he is still the inconsistent low IQ basketball player.

And ONE game doesn't put Mike D on the hot seat, stop being dramatic.

Couldn't you say the same about Lee, Gallo & Wilson in their time as Knicks? None of those guys really made this team "better" under that standard, did they? I mean we were still a crappy team while they were developing their talents too. AR is only 21 years old he's obviously not a finished product, but the talent is undeniable.

iSaYughh

Starter
Man, didn't we all think AR would fill that roll occupied by Boris Diaw? Such high hopes.

THE GOOD NEWS... This just makes D'antoni's seat even hotter. First it was Darko, then Randolph. Walsh brought in 2 centers. Young, lottery picks with potential... All he asked for was coach to grrom them. Walsh particularly had a crush on AR. First, he brings in a traditional-type C in Darko, and when coach complained that he need an unconventional BIG to run the C in his unique system, our GM gets him AR... and he never even unwraps the packaging and gives him some play.

I hope AR blows up and plays great. Just another hit MD takes. And after we underachieve next year... he'll be canned. Heck, if IT returns (and Walsh is not extended)... coach wont be here next season. Unfortunatley, AR has a solid 10 years ahead of him...

AR & Corey Brewer are 2 plays that could have played roles on a title run for us. A big who runs, blocks shots and a Bruce Bowen type wing-stopper. NOW, we have to go out this summer and find those players all ove again.

:WTF:

*Darko and Randolph -- two boom or (likely) bust, career busts through their entire careers. Randolph, still a bust in the making. Darko, one of the most notorious busts of all time, till playing adequately this year (how many years in the NBA? What's his contract for?)

*AR wasn't a lotto pick; first round project

*He had 1st round pick trade value; not playing him protected this. "This" was essential to get Melo.

*D'antoni actually had the infatuation and high expectations with AR.

*AR shot recklessly and foolishly. Doesn't D'ant love and encourage chuckers

*Corey Brewer is not Bruce Bowen, nor will he ever be. Not in his actual defensive skills, or mastery of them, and not in his 3pt shot.

*Why would we underachieve next season?

>>>> when we've overachieved this season

But we will go out and search for those pieces you mention (athletic big, wing stopper with range).

But they'll, ideally, be players who actually are those things; and more importantly, can actually contribute in that way on a playoff team right away.

MDA 2010-2011 NYK Resume:

Exceed and meet expectations of,

*games won
*playoff seed
*player development
*our playoff ceiling/ability to make a surprise run

KingofNy

Starter
^^^^^^

Minnesota never gave up a first round pick for AR, they didn't want to give up a first. They gave us Brewer and gave Denver Koufos which is why it made no sense to trade AR, Eddy Curry and $3Mfor a guy that we just were going to buyout. Us fans have a good reason to be upset over that. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I also think AR is going to be a beast... Right now he's playing on just pure athleticism... Wait until he gets some experience under his belt.... He's gonna be NICE. It's too bad Antoni never gave him a "real" chance to prove himself. The same goes for Brewer.

New York shipped centers Eddy Curry and Anthony Randolph to Minnesota for forward Corey Brewer. Denver acquired center Kosta Koufos from Minnesota, plus New York's first-round draft pick in 2014, second-round picks in 2012 and 2013 and cash.

KingCharles34

All Star
I remember nate robinson looking like a decent number one option here in New york, it took him much longer to fit in with the Celtics. I will admit as a basketball player myself im the ultimate team player on a bad team but on a good team i dont really know how to fit in

I disagree; STAT is the whole story

:lol:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
:WTF:

*Darko and Randolph -- two boom or (likely) bust, career busts through their entire careers. Randolph, still a bust in the making. Darko, one of the most notorious busts of all time, till playing adequately this year (how many years in the NBA? What's his contract for?)

*AR wasn't a lotto pick; first round project

*He had 1st round pick trade value; not playing him protected this. "This" was essential to get Melo.

*D'antoni actually had the infatuation and high expectations with AR.

*AR shot recklessly and foolishly. Doesn't D'ant love and encourage chuckers

*Corey Brewer is not Bruce Bowen, nor will he ever be. Not in his actual defensive skills, or mastery of them, and not in his 3pt shot.

*Why would we underachieve next season?

>>>> when we've overachieved this season

But we will go out and search for those pieces you mention (athletic big, wing stopper with range).

But they'll, ideally, be players who actually are those things; and more importantly, can actually contribute in that way on a playoff team right away.

MDA 2010-2011 NYK Resume:

Exceed and meet expectations of,

*games won
*playoff seed
*player development
*our playoff ceiling/ability to make a surprise run

No one is saying the guy should have started, but don't you think he should have at least been given a spot in the rotation, even if it were ten minutes a game? Essentially he could fit the Jeffries rotation spot. He may not have been as good of a defender, but he could board and the most athletic guy on the team.

KingofNy

Starter
No one is saying the guy should have started, but don't you think he should have at least been given a spot in the rotation, even if it were ten minutes a game? Essentially he could fit the Jeffries rotation spot. He may not have been as good of a defender, but he could board and the most athletic guy on the team.

Brewer was known for his defense just as much as his J. He averaged almost 2 steals a game in <25 mins a game through 45 games. He is an equally good player on both sides of the court and should make any team in the NBA's rotation except maybe the Celtics and for some godforsaken reason, our Knicks. It looks like the Mavericks are scooping him up as we speak.