Donnie Walsh Appreciation Thread!

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Ill-advised. Let's see what he can do this year before we pass judgement!

No, I don't think it was ill-advised. I witnessed all of the shitty plays and disgraceful substitution patterns that d'antoni was responsible for, and he definitely deserves an expletive at the very least.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
No, I don't think it was ill-advised. I witnessed all of the shitty plays and disgraceful substitution patterns that d'antoni was responsible for, and he definitely deserves an expletive at the very least.
Will you be saying the same thing if he wins Coach of the Year next year?

He didn't handle our two tank years very well to say the least, but wouldn't it be fair to reserve judgement for when he starts coaching a professional basketball team not a YMCA Rec League team?

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Will you be saying the same thing if he wins Coach of the Year next year?

He didn't handle our two tank years very well to say the least, but wouldn't it be fair to reserve judgement for when he starts coaching a professional basketball team not a YMCA Rec League team?

I'm bashing d'antoni on his (crappy) achievements as a NYK coach to date. If he does coach well next year, then I will definitely give him the praise he deserves. But that's highly unlikely considering the type of mistakes he was committing.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Kiya is that you?

I'm confused as to how Donnie has been getting "anally raped" by the NBA during his tenure. I think a trip to the NBA finals from a small market Indiana team would qualify as a job well done wouldn't you say? How bout' his unpopular Reggie Miller pick that turned in to 6 straight playoff appearances, 3 trips to the conference finals, and a trip to the finals? Smh. You're talking out of your ass. 100 million WOULD be too much for Stat if he were to play in Miami, a state with no sales tax, but in NY, we have the highest income taxes besides California. That 100 million will be deducted at a more rapid rate quicker here than anywhere. Stat may not be a 100 million dollar player, but he was a piece we needed to have any shot at LeBron. Our consolation? We get a top 10 offensive talent to build around with some cap flexibility moving forward.

Your pessimistic attitude has no substance, and in actuality, just rains on the parade that Donnie basically set up for us. We have flexibility for the first time in ages, we have a VERY good shot at LeBron, and we acquired a top talent while doing so. What is to complain about? Still reminiscing about the 1990's teams like Kiyaman? Amar'e was wrong. The Knicks are not back. They've been REBORN!

It's clear that so-called Knick fans like yourself are lacking when it comes to reading comprehension. I said since he got HERE... Not in Indiana dude, reading is fundamental ya know. Now you will probably shoot back with a comment about the knicks being under the salary cap yadda yadda yadda ... well yea they are under the salary cap, they were willing to give up what could have been valuable trading chips for the HOPE of getting Lebron James. Can you imagine having a car, a nice job, and a house, and giving that all up for the POTENTIAL of getting a nicer one of each, no guarantee here of course, just the potential... Then in order to make that potential seem more likely you go and spend 100 thousand dollars for a BMW when you could have gotten an Audi or Mercedes for about 70-80k... The BMW is a great car, but so are the audi and mercedes, some would argue even better than the BMW, in either case, no one would argue that the BMW is 20-30k better than those other two cars. And that is simply my point probably a lil too much for some of you to comprehend because, again, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Ill-advised. Let's see what he can do this year before we pass judgement!

This is the ignorance of a so-called Knicks fan. The Knicks had a lineup that could have and should have won more than 33 games last year. The Knicks, in my opinion had a better team than the Bucks talent wise. The difference was, the bucks had a coach who knew how to actually coach. D'antoni only knows how to operate around superstars. That doesnt make him a good coach. That guy is a total loser. a Fraud. and for you so called knick fans not to see this is disturbing. His first two seasons have been on Par of every Fired Knicks Coach, however all of you are talking about lets see what happens next year... Are you serious? The guy has already shown his worth. If they win next year is it really because of him or is it because of Lebron(if we get him) and Amare? C'mon be serious now, act like you are REAL Knicks fans and show some damn intelligence about the sport

quiggle

Starter
you tried Donnie, but you didn't get the job done. makes you wish you were a fly in the room during their meeting to critique what went wrong.

mafra

Legend
Whatever happens tonigiht Donnie, you did the right thing. Heck, the last 48 hours have felt like a playoff series (with the His-Lows), and have been the most exciting time for Knicks fans in 10 years.

Even if it doesn't work, the plan was well-executed and at least got us in the game and gave us hope.

Even if Lebron rejects NY, we did all we could.... NOW go complete a sign-&-trade with GSW (get us Morrow, Randolph, Wright, Turiaf) and then sign Luke Ridnour.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Whatever happens tonigiht Donnie, you did the right thing. Heck, the last 48 hours have felt like a playoff series (with the His-Lows), and have been the most exciting time for Knicks fans in 10 years.

Even if it doesn't work, the plan was well-executed and at least got us in the game and gave us hope.

Even if Lebron rejects NY, we did all we could.... NOW go complete a sign-&-trade with GSW (get us Morrow, Randolph, Wright, Turiaf) and then sign Luke Ridnour.

So effin sad... what is wrong with you people? I know its been so long since we have been great but jeeze, stop with the bullshyt love for this old senile coot... if Lebron doesn't come guess what HE FAILED... HE gave 100 Million dollars to a real good but real flawed PF in the hopes of getting Lebron... C'mon he's been doing nothing but gambling since he's got here..

Feels like playoffs... shut up please, its been long time but c'mon now please shut da fvck up

iSaYughh

Starter
Even if it doesn't work, the plan was well-executed and at least got us in the game an
Even if Lebron rejects NY, we did all we could.

Cmon now...Let's not give Walsh such a free pass.

Yes, he was wiser than Isiah, but he's lacked the killer instinct and gumption to see through, full-measure style, an otherwise excellent plan (Plan 2010).

God I hope we luck into Lebron somehow...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Cmon now...Let's not give Walsh such a free fcking pass.

Yes, he was wiser than Isiah, but he's lacked the killer instinct and gumption to see throng, full-measure style, an otherwise excellent plan (Plan 2010).

It's possible to execute a plan perfectly and still not get the outcome you desire. If Lebron goes somewhere else I'm pretty sure it was nothing that Walsh did or didn't do.

quiggle

Starter
so is it really true that LeBron and his crew were digsuted and turned off that Walsh came to the meetings in a wheelchair? that's cold.

iSaYughh

Starter
God. We still are a laughing stock. And if we whiff on The King (barring some --major-- trade)....1000x moresoe.

It is cold if lebron --seriously-- is spurning us bc Walsh has a set of wheels...

But seriously...Walsh in a chair accompanied by James mf'ing Dolan....doesn't exactly inspire power and prestige. Dolan is such a goddamn chump. Wish the Rooskie took him down, Soviet style for us...

mafra

Legend
So effin sad... what is wrong with you people? I know its been so long since we have been great but jeeze, stop with the bullshyt love for this old senile coot... if Lebron doesn't come guess what HE FAILED... HE gave 100 Million dollars to a real good but real flawed PF in the hopes of getting Lebron... C'mon he's been doing nothing but gambling since he's got here..

Feels like playoffs... shut up please, its been long time but c'mon now please shut da fvck up

Watch your language tough guy and relax.

Walsh made two errors:

1- Drafting Hill instead of a PG.
2- Trading Jeffries, instead of gambling and dumping him this offseason.

Even with that said, maybe Douglas turns out to be as good as the rest of the 2009 PG class. Who knows. Perhaps we wouldn't have been able to dump JJ like CHI-MIA were able to dump their players (notice GM in WAS - he hates Dolan).

You can't have it both ways... You can't say Walsh was successful if he gets Lebron, but a failure if he doesn't. BOTTOM LINE: We are not even in this position, in the running for Lebron, had he not cleared cap room and sign Amar'e.

The Knicks screwed the post Ewing error in the 1999 NBA draft (when they drafted Frenchy over Artest and JR Koch over Manu Ginobili); when they traded for Mcdyess (instead of drafting STAT or NENE), when they traded those picks for a WELL-KNOWN underachieving E-Curry, when they traded Camby b/c of some crazy spat over a media-relations meeting and finally drafting Postell in the 2nd round (instead of Redd).

Camby-Amar'e Artest-Redd-Manu. This could have been the post-Ewing starting-5!

A series of bad moves resulted in NYK having no chance the last 10 years. Zach Radnolph & Jamal Crawford would have given us nothing.

Walsh (although I question some moves) did what was needed to make us a player again....

iSaYughh

Starter
Mafra,

I agree w almost all you've been saying...but I'll still feel that Walsh did us a gross injustice. He didn't go all the way, and lacked killer instinct.

His plan? Excellent. Bold, defiant, visionary. Plausible. Just what we needed.

His execution? Mediocre.

And when the stakes are --so-- tremendously high...the plan demanded...and we deserved...execution that mirrors the "bold, defiant" plan itself.

When MIA pulled those trades off I went ballistic for a reason. Proposed some weird stuff for us to regain an edge, but the gist remains true:

We needed to do something and respond. The game changed, and we didn't change with it. Now we seriously look like chumps just praying for a savior.

I wish Walsh went a little "ballistic".

We'll still have an OK team though, and Walsh did this by battling through Isiah's miscarriages.

Walsh was good. Just not good enough it seems. :2cents:

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Watch your language tough guy and relax.

Walsh made two errors:

1- Drafting Hill instead of a PG.
2- Trading Jeffries, instead of gambling and dumping him this offseason.

Even with that said, maybe Douglas turns out to be as good as the rest of the 2009 PG class. Who knows. Perhaps we wouldn't have been able to dump JJ like CHI-MIA were able to dump their players (notice GM in WAS - he hates Dolan).

You can't have it both ways... You can't say Walsh was successful if he gets Lebron, but a failure if he doesn't. BOTTOM LINE: We are not even in this position, in the running for Lebron, had he not cleared cap room and sign Amar'e.

The Knicks screwed the post Ewing error in the 1999 NBA draft (when they drafted Frenchy over Artest and JR Koch over Manu Ginobili); when they traded for Mcdyess (instead of drafting STAT or NENE), when they traded those picks for a WELL-KNOWN underachieving E-Curry, when they traded Camby b/c of some crazy spat over a media-relations meeting and finally drafting Postell in the 2nd round (instead of Redd).

Camby-Amar'e Artest-Redd-Manu. This could have been the post-Ewing starting-5!

A series of bad moves resulted in NYK having no chance the last 10 years. Zach Radnolph & Jamal Crawford would have given us nothing.

Walsh (although I question some moves) did what was needed to make us a player again....

Of course I can have it both ways... if someone strikes out with the bases loaded 3 times in 3 at bats he's the goat of the game, but if he wins the game with a walk off homer in his 4th and final at bat he's the hero of the game.... so i'm not sure what logic you are using in saying can't have it both ways...

Moves made in the past were in the past.. and as shytty and heart breaking as they were, i don't believe its useful to compare and contrast the myriad of fvck ups the Knicks have done in the past decade... because a fvck up is a fvck up is a fvck up... but a lot of you guys are giving him a pass, when at the same time thomas and layden were shiitted on.. i'm an equal opportunity hater ... bring back dave checketts and ernie grundfelld

mafra

Legend
Of course I can have it both ways... if someone strikes out with the bases loaded 3 times in 3 at bats he's the goat of the game, but if he wins the game with a walk off homer in his 4th and final at bat he's the hero of the game.... so i'm not sure what logic you are using in saying can't have it both ways...

Moves made in the past were in the past.. and as shytty and heart breaking as they were, i don't believe its useful to compare and contrast the myriad of fvck ups the Knicks have done in the past decade... because a fvck up is a fvck up is a fvck up... but a lot of you guys are giving him a pass, when at the same time thomas and layden were shiitted on.. i'm an equal opportunity hater ... bring back dave checketts and ernie grundfelld

I hear 'ya. A lot of suffering for us Knicks fans and we want to blame someone. But the one constant since the 90s is JAMES DOLAN. He's the one who deserves our ire.

We almost had that Russian owner bying us. We were his first choice. If we don't get Lebron, massive boycott from Cablevision folks. Get ATT or DIRECT TV... Anything. Let's tank the ownership and force them to sell.

I wasn't onboard with the Walsh signing. Wanted Bryan Colangelo. I didn't want D'antoni. Wanted Mark Jackson. Got both anyway.

But, I have to admit, the last 2 years were not entirely their fault. Sure, we could have went with Lee, Starbury, Randoph & Crawford. Hoped Curry stayed healthy. Maybe make the 2nd round. But that team wouldn't have inspired much hope, and we would be seating here now worse off for the next 4 years.

At least we can improve this team now. SURE, STAT is stupid move now if we don't get Lebron.... BUT, it's better than what we had.

OF COURSE, I would prefer Lee to STAT, but we can use LEE to get talent in a S-&-T.

With no Lebron, we have to deal Lee.

STAT and a deal with GSW (possibly for Randolph and others) is better than signing Lee + Boozer (or something). We'll see.

I hate to defend Walsh, but he did do most things right. Even if losing for 2 years was foolish.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
Thank you Donnie, he try and we still under the cap.
We might not win a ring this year or the next, but our future is bright with
Donnie as our Gm.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Thank you Donnie, he try and we still under the cap.
We might now win a ring this year or the next, but our future is bright with
Donnie as our Gm.

And Azibuke is an expiring contract. And Parker and Melo WANT to play here. Lets go!

Paul1355

All Star
Donnie did good with the David Lee trade

Azabuke/Turiaf/Randolph makes us solid defensively with Amare and we add another shooter with Azabuke