Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Orlando Magic 7:00 2/22/2018 [Game #60]

tiger0330

Legend
That's weird. That box score has Troy Williams with a DNP when he played 6 minutes. Tig, are you making up these stats each game? :smokin:
I saw that. Shows you're paying attention htr10. Off of limited minutes I'd play him over Kornet and Dotson. He's an athlete, maybe the best athlete on the team.

tiger0330

Legend
Updated box score.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 18

Kiyaman

Legend
Trey Burke putting his bid in to start. Good for him. Sorry tank fans..Horn/Burke playing for their nba lives

Burke's performance level has been jumping from Knicks preseason game to G league games to a 2 yr NBA contract in offseason.
Burke' s a KEEPER!
Hopefully .. Horn's coaching the remainder of season for a decent buyout in offseason.

mafra

Legend
In the Knicks' 120-113 win over the Magic, Trey Burke and Frank Ntilikina each played 30 minutes while Emmanuel Mudiay played 23 minutes. Jarrett Jack didn't play at all. Burke made the most of his time, leading the Knicks with points 26 points on 12 of 22 shooting. He also added 6 assists and 4 rebounds.

"I know he can put the ball in the hole and he can get hot," Hornacek said, via Marc Berman of NY Post. "He can control the pace. He's a guy that when they're putting a lot of pressure on it, you give him the ball, he'll be able to get something going. But defensively, I thought he was the key because he got up on the guy. He was in that locker room, looked like he was dead tired. I said that's how the guys are supposed to be when they come in that locker room. Trey was great on both sides of the ball."

While many fans are hoping the Knicks get the best possible draft position, Burke says it's not in his DNA to not try and win.

"We're still trying to win games," Burke said. "I know a lot of people think otherwise. It's not in our DNA to go out there and lay down and not win."

paris401

Starter
next stop 8th place and a spot in the playoff's.... from there toronto will give us a beat down, n our pick in the draft...to combine with our other french fries will be none other then fredic weis jr... please pass the grey poupon...

next stop 8th place and a spot in the playoff's.... from there toronto will give us a beat down, n our pick in the draft...to combine with our other french fries will be none other then fredic weis jr... please pass the grey poupon...

I bet we go roughly 7 - 15 to finish the season. Those 7 wins are the number of times we play other teams that will be tanking between now and the end of the season.

paris401

Starter
yep ... u are prob rite.... last nite it was a game between the have-nots, or the dont-have-a-clue.... but sat. nite its against boston... lets see how the 'new-look' knicks play against a reasonably good team...

Mike1989

Rookie
In the Knicks' 120-113 win over the Magic, Trey Burke and Frank Ntilikina each played 30 minutes while Emmanuel Mudiay played 23 minutes. Jarrett Jack didn't play at all. Burke made the most of his time, leading the Knicks with points 26 points on 12 of 22 shooting. He also added 6 assists and 4 rebounds.

"I know he can put the ball in the hole and he can get hot," Hornacek said, via Marc Berman of NY Post. "He can control the pace. He's a guy that when they're putting a lot of pressure on it, you give him the ball, he'll be able to get something going. But defensively, I thought he was the key because he got up on the guy. He was in that locker room, looked like he was dead tired. I said that's how the guys are supposed to be when they come in that locker room. Trey was great on both sides of the ball."

While many fans are hoping the Knicks get the best possible draft position, Burke says it's not in his DNA to not try and win.

"We're still trying to win games," Burke said. "I know a lot of people think otherwise. It's not in our DNA to go out there and lay down and not win."

I think that could be part of the "issue" for us in our remaining games. We have players like Burke, Hardaway, and Kanter [to name a few] that want to win games and are not going to lay down and throw games. Last night our box score was pretty consistent through four quarters and that is what won us the game in the end because despite Orlando's hot first quarter (41) and decent second quarter (28), their scoring fell significantly enough in the third and fourth quarter to let us back in, whereas ours remained consistent (31, 32, 30, 27). For us to lose last night would have required Hornacek to sit Burke, Hardaway, Kanter and play the fringe players. On the one hand that helps our tank, but on the other it creates negativity because there is no incentive for players to get hot like Burke did because they just end up getting benched. So as much as we'd like to see the tank fully embraced to boost our lottery odds, I think it is going to be difficult to get these players on board with that because we have too many that aren't going to lay down and not want to win.

The only way we could fully embrace the tank would be to limit the minutes of potential difference making players, bench players when they start to get too hot, give the fringe guys more minutes, and utilize a Sacramento Kings policy where they rest a few veteran players each night and rotate which ones play with the youngsters and which ones rest and don't play on that night. An issue with that is would players like Hardaway, Lee, O'Quinn, Beasley accept being rested for a night, then play on the next, then rested? I don't think that kind of policy would be popular, and it could be counterproductive in building a positive locker room to build on next season. Unless of course Hornacek is out at the end of this season regardless and a new regime is brought in, then whatever happens this season might not matter as much, but it could still alienate certain players and put them off wanting to remain here.

tiger0330

Legend
If the Knicks play their young players and manage to win games so be it. Winning with guys that have a future here may outweigh a couple of spots in the draft to pick a supposed better prospect in the draft. Pretty obvious from this draft its something of a crap shoot anyway so if Mudiay, Trey, Nits, Troy, THJ, Kanter can go 11-11 or better the rest of the way so be it.

Mike1989

Rookie
If the Knicks play their young players and manage to win games so be it. Winning with guys that have a future here may outweigh a couple of spots in the draft to pick a supposed better prospect in the draft. Pretty obvious from this draft its something of a crap shoot anyway so if Mudiay, Trey, Nits, Troy, THJ, Kanter can go 11-11 or better the rest of the way so be it.

Currently there are six teams tied on 18 wins, one on 19 wins sending their pick to Cleveland, one on 20 wins, and another on 23 wins sending their pick to Philly. I think we can get ahead of the Lakers, but I think we'll have a hard time finishing with a worse record than Chicago and Brooklyn unless they start to put together runs and we start to do a better job of tanking. So I would tend to agree that let our players play and develop, see if they have a future, because realistically we are more likely to finish 9th or 10th than spring into the top half dozen unless something unexpected happens. So we have to hope the lottery balls fall our way to move up.

Kiyaman

Legend
Currently there are six teams tied on 18 wins, one on 19 wins sending their pick to Cleveland, one on 20 wins, and another on 23 wins sending their pick to Philly. I think we can get ahead of the Lakers, but I think we'll have a hard time finishing with a worse record than Chicago and Brooklyn unless they start to put together runs and we start to do a better job of tanking. So I would tend to agree that let our players play and develop, see if they have a future, because realistically we are more likely to finish 9th or 10th than spring into the top half dozen unless something unexpected happens. So we have to hope the lottery balls fall our way to move up.

Yep .. 8 to 10 NBA teams started the regular season losing for a lottery pick .. the Magic happen to be one of them ....
The consistent DNP games to Troy Burke at the return of Tim Hardaway Jr 18% fg shooting being put back into the rotation for 30 minute per game had put the Knicks on a nice 8 game losing streak to catch up with the only honest Dallas Mavs team who owner admits to TANKING !!!
LMAO