I'm not willing to throw Mike D'Antoni under the bus. I'm giving this man a chance.

SlimChin

Rookie
to expect MDA to bring this team past the 2nd rd after this late season trade is unrealistic. yes we have 2 superstars but we still need some more pieces to work with. give this coach credit for working with a roster that's constantly changing.

TommyMSG

Rookie
to expect MDA to bring this team past the 2nd rd after this late season trade is unrealistic. yes we have 2 superstars but we still need some more pieces to work with. give this coach credit for working with a roster that's constantly changing.

Getting passed the 2nd round is not unrealistic with two superstars considering we're in the Eastern Conference. If MDA can't make noise in the playoffs with Melo and Amare then how good of a coach is he? I'll be very unimpressed if we bow out early.

All I know is this, I made this thread after the loss to the Cavs because the hate for D'Antoni was @ an all-time high. The Knicks are now 3-0 since this thread was created. With a win against Dallas tonight we'll be 7-3 since the trade which is a winning % of .700. I wasn't about to throw D'Antoni under the bus; especially after watching what this man did with PHX out there in an extremely tough Westen Conf. I wasn't about to quit on MDA before the man had a fair chance to win with NY. Before trying to run MDA out of town; answer these questions. Does the Knicks offensive attack rank top 3? When was the last time NY even had an offense that ranked top 10? Has MDA had a full offseason to work with Billups, Melo & Amare as our 3 leaders? What about with guys such as Jeffries, Carter, Brown or Shelden Williams? The answer would be not a chance in hell. How many starters are starting with the Knicks, that weren't here last year? The answer would be 5. Who was Fields before MDA? After MDA? An elite rook. Etc, etc

Hey Tommy... How about you give MDA a full training camp, offseason, preseason & regular season working with these two "superstars" before expecting the man to lead the Knicks to or past the 2nd round.

Also, why are you talking about the East as if it's the East of years past? Celtics can compete with the Lakers. Chicago could give the Spurs a real fight, Orlando would challenge the Thunder, Miami is slumping but I cant picture a 4th or 5th western conf team dominating them, Atlanta & the 76ers can also compete against teams such as Memphis, Hornets, PHX & Jazz. Stop acting like the East is a "cake walk" for a teams thats just been built together.

SlimChin

Rookie
Getting passed the 2nd round is not unrealistic with two superstars considering we're in the Eastern Conference. If MDA can't make noise in the playoffs with Melo and Amare then how good of a coach is he? I'll be very unimpressed if we bow out early.

are you forgetting who's in Eastern Conference? the Celtics, the bulls and the cry babies who are going to come to play in the post season.

aside from the fact that we are small, the majority of this team has no playoff experience. and the lack of D doesn't come from the coach, it comes from the players willingness to play D.

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
In my youth I thought Pat was a horrible coach in LA cause of all the superstars he had on the squad. But then he came to NY with a lot less talent and made do with what he had. Proved to me that he was a high caliber coach. Well we need to give Mike the same chance to make a name for himself. I read somewhere that since his tenure with NY he's had like 36 players...that's a lot of doors opening/closing in your rotation. Now we have a solid nucleus to build around that will be here for some time (including Mr. bigshot hopefully). Let's see what he can do with a full year of this squad then put out a ruling on him.

I've waited a long time to see my team come back to the forefront of discussions, water cooler chats, church parking lot talks, etc. ...and boy does it feel good!

To be honest I think we can produces the same numbers with a coach like Jeff or Stan Van Gundy. Defense oriented wish knowledge of Offense. D'Atoni isnt horrible BUT I think we'd be better with a different coach, defense does win championships. Always.