I'm not willing to throw Mike D'Antoni under the bus. I'm giving this man a chance.

mafra

Legend
I've been killing D'ant lately. Maybe ever since he was hired. Just looking at him makes me want to punch something. I don't know what it is really... maybe it's me.

Hard to bash him for the last 2 seasons... Most of us agreed he would be judged on results starting this season. I keep forgetting that I shouldn't jump to conclusions. I should wait to see what plays out this May.

I don't like nor do I buy into MD's reputation that he's some offensive genius. Just like Josh Mcdaniels was supposed to be some Xs-&-Os guru... And his attention (or lack thereof) to defense makes me sick.

BUT, to be fair, his Suns were going to beat the Cavs and win a title... Rh tosses Nash and the refs (and Stern) stripped PHO of that dream. Had he... and if he... wins 1 title... Then (like with Elway, Manning, Arod)... you can't claim it wont win it all.

STILL, with this said... I want to go nuts every time I see that mustache!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Not trolling. Just proving a point. How many times do you have to argue and re-argue your position on MDA? Everyone here knows your stance. You're boarding on going insane...

Why must you keep embarrassing yourself?? :drink:

This is what LJ said..

D'Antoni will end up being fired. Not because I don't think he can win a championship. I think he is a good coach and I think he can win a championship with the right pieces. But he will be fired because we traded all our assets, draft picks and depth for Melo. Somebody will take the fall for that and it will be D'Antoni.

Below I was making the point that Mike D won't be fired due to the fact he's coaching a team that will be capable of 50+ win seasons, which is actually a different slant on the Mike D convo.. Just stop.

Also LJ's been in a bit of a funk lately and I was trying to cheer him up.

damn LJ.. you act like we're not set up to be a 50 win team for the next 3 seasons @ the very least.

TheGarden95... What "2 or 3 game winning streak" are you talking about? lol, the last time I checked? I made this thread coming off a horrible loss to a horrid Cavs team...

Why must you keep embarrassing yourself?? :drink:

This is what LJ said..

Below I was making the point that Mike D won't be fired due to the fact he's coaching a team that will be capable of 50+ win seasons, which is actually a different slant on the Mike D convo.. Just stop.

Also LJ's been in a bit of a funk lately and I was trying to cheer him up.

Embarassing myself? Dude if a thread has MDA in it you're there. Thats my point. You probably have an IM sent to you as soon as someone posts MDA, Mike Dantoni, SSOL, Kincks defense, O'antoni and anything else your insane little mind can think of. Get a grip...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Embarassing myself? Dude if a thread has MDA in it you're there. Thats my point. You probably have an IM sent to you as soon as someone posts MDA, Mike Dantoni, SSOL, Kincks defense, O'antoni and anything else your insane little mind can think of. Get a grip...

This from the yoodle who's always there in MDA threads as well..

It's funny how self-unaware you are C&TP..

This from the yoodle who's always there in MDA threads as well..

It's funny how self-unaware you are C&TP..

I'm here only trying to help you get through your obession. You notice I havent posted any opinion on MDA in this thread. I'm here to help you son. Try the great moments in Knick history thread. Some good vids in there. Good moments...

It seems like people are more angry after a great win over Atlanta than they are after a bad loss against a Cavs team? And everyone was upset after the Cavs loss; myself included but not angry enough to kill everyone associated with the Knicks...

It seems like people are more angry after a great win over Atlanta than they are after a bad loss against a Cavs team? And everyone was upset after the Cavs loss; myself included but not angry enough to kill everyone associated with the Knicks...

Not sure why you're blaming D'Antoni for all of this. A win is a win is a win. The Knicks are still working on their chemistry, we'll get Billups back, and we'll dominate.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
When's the last time a player got fired for his team losing?

Players don't get fired they get traded and it happens all the time if they continue to be part of the reason why a team is losing. If however the player improves and is responsible for his team winning then he's generally kept around.

When is the last time the Knicks made the playoffs?

When is the last time that a team fired their coach after vast improvement on both sides of the ball on his way to the playoffs?

Don't tell me how bad our defense is when we're holding playoff teams to less than 90.

Give the man time to fail before you announce him a failure and people who think MDA is suddenly the second coming, you're starting to make us pro MDA guys look bad so if you could give him time to succeed before you deem him a success then that would be good too .

Kiyaman

Legend
The conclusion of this POST after reading all the threads.......
is FIRE Dantoni after this season. Why?

No poster has showed 1, 2, or 3 logical reason (arguement) on why
Dantoni deserve to coach another season. not one poster in this MDA thread.

The best way to defend Dantoni's flaws as a coach is by mentioning
Dantoni's successful accomplishments. Which seems hard to do in Dantoni's
three season tour with the Knicks.
However, from 2004 to 2008 Dantoni's (flaws vs success) was a great arguement
to debate about "during" Dantoni's tour with the Phoenix Suns.
Dantoni's success & accomplishments as Knicks headcoach is little to none.
:thumbsup: O.K., Thanks for the 3-ball shooting! :thumbsup:

Any average NBA headcoach wouldve took Isiah's $100M roster to the
playoffs (in a weak EC in 2009) to raise the "trade-value" for management
to trade evenly for shorter contract.

knicksin60

Starter
Mike D'antoni, Dan Dantoni, Herb Williams, Phil Webber, Kenny Atkinson and Greg Brittenham should all be given the exit after this season and be replaced with Mike Brown, Mark Jackson, Patrick Ewing, Gary Payton, Charles Oakley, Bill Laimbeer.

Think of the number of championships the Knicks would win with that coaching staff.

That coaching staff could probably get a player like Eddy Curry to play hard nosed defense.

The Knicks would probably hold their opponents to under 70 points in almost every game.

Patrick Ewing would simply be brought in to help the Knicks lure Dwight Howard when he becomes a free agent.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
It's easy to back Antoni bandwagon while we're on a winning streak. We need to wait to have this conversation until the off-season because fans jump on/off the Antoni hate-train with each respective win or loss. If we get bounced in the first round of the playoffs because we couldn't defense I guarantee you that 3/4 of the Antoni supporters will be calling for his head.

I also attribute the recent spike in defense/team performance to Antoni being pressured by his "new" stars (especially Billups) and overall media/fan pressure to win with the stars to implement better defensive schemes and include more players in the rotation. We've been shooting the lights out the last two games, lets see how well we do when our shooting % goes back down to normal.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
Players don't get fired they get traded and it happens all the time if they continue to be part of the reason why a team is losing. If however the player improves and is responsible for his team winning then he's generally kept around.

When is the last time the Knicks made the playoffs?

When is the last time that a team fired their coach after vast improvement on both sides of the ball on his way to the playoffs?

Don't tell me how bad our defense is when we're holding playoff teams to less than 90.

Give the man time to fail before you announce him a failure and people who think MDA is suddenly the second coming, you're starting to make us pro MDA guys look bad so if you could give him time to succeed before you deem him a success then that would be good too .

The players are a direct reflection of their coach. In most cases, if the players are coached correctly they will perform accordingly. I posted a stat earlier that basically showed that we only held our opponents to under 100 points in less than 13 games so far this season with about 29 games in which our opponents scored well over 110. We would have one good game of D followed by multiple games of NO D.

I'm going to give Antoni a chance with the new guys but his handling of the rotation/players/plays already put him in a negative light in my book. Can he turn it around? Maybe. But I doubt it. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife... and it's highly unlikely you can take a one-dimensional coach and turn him into all-around great coach. We will see I guess...Hopefully I'm wrong.

I created this thread after the Knicks were coming off a horrible loss to the Cavs. Not after "the Knicks were on a winning streak"... Not all fans are love you when your up & kick you when your down. I'll never be that type of "fan".

Even if the Knicks lose during the 1st round... I'll still support MDA. I've been a Knicks fan since 92, going on 20 years, I know enough about the game of basketball to know that MDA has never had a CHANCE in hell to win with the Knicks. This is the first year MDA has had any talent to work with. And guess what? MDA had NY in position to make the playoffs for the first time since 2004 with one of the best offensive attacks in all of basketball. That was before Carmelo too. I know enough to not 'run this man out of town" when before the Melo deal, MDA was working with FOUR out of FIVE starters who were NOT with NY last year (Felton, Fields, Amare & Mozgov). Now? 5 starters who weren't with NY last year. Has he even had a full offseason to work with Melo, Amare & Billups? lol NO

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I created this thread after the Knicks were coming off a horrible loss to the Cavs. Not after "the Knicks were on a winning streak"... Not all fans are love you when your up & kick you when your down. I'll never be that type of "fan".

Even if the Knicks lose during the 1st round... I'll still support MDA. I've been a Knicks fan since 92, going on 20 years, I know enough about the game of basketball to know that MDA has never had a CHANCE in hell to win with the Knicks. This is the first year MDA has had any talent to work with. And guess what? MDA had NY in position to make the playoffs for the first time since 2004 with one of the best offensive attacks in all of basketball. That was before Carmelo too. I know enough to not 'run this man out of town" when before the Melo deal, MDA was working with FOUR out of FIVE starters who were NOT with NY last year (Felton, Fields, Amare & Mozgov). Now? 5 starters who weren't with NY last year. Has he even had a full offseason to work with Melo, Amare & Billups? lol NO

Exactly right. Give the man a chance!

WrongIslander

Rotation player
The players are a direct reflection of their coach. In most cases, if the players are coached correctly they will perform accordingly. I posted a stat earlier that basically showed that we only held our opponents to under 100 points in less than 13 games so far this season with about 29 games in which our opponents scored well over 110. We would have one good game of D followed by multiple games of NO D.

I'm going to give Antoni a chance with the new guys but his handling of the rotation/players/plays already put him in a negative light in my book. Can he turn it around? Maybe. But I doubt it. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife... and it's highly unlikely you can take a one-dimensional coach and turn him into all-around great coach. We will see I guess...Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last year our players were clearly not a direct reflection of our coach, they were a reflection of the shambles we were left in by poor decisions at the top and their want to leave New York for a chance to play/mo money!

This year our players were pretty much in the same position not knowing who was going and who was staying and always with the spectre of Melo hanging over their heads. Despite this, MDA built a unit a team that overperformed I'd say and got us to a position where we are now able to go forward once again with our new players with a much better chance to achieve what we all want to.

Winning doesn't happen over night, especially after years of poor management. We're progressing at a more than acceptable rate and MDA, the players we traded to get Melo and our management can all take credit for that.

If you're moving forward, you're doing your job.

If the players we traded are a reflection of MDA then he should hold his head high because Felton improved no end, Gallinari has been brought along, Chandler overperformed and Mozgov is a better player for having played in NY.

People are so busy looking at blaming MDA that they can't see how much they owe to him already. No he has'nt been a success, but he's certainly improved us and continues to do so.

I'll declare the winner of the race when it's over, not in the first furlong.

The Knicks may finish 10-14 games above .500 under MDA this season, the Knicks may end up as the 5 seed under MDA (behind BOS, CHI, MIA & ORL), & the Knicks are making the playoffs for the first time... Since 2004 led by a top 3 offensive attack. If any Knicks fan on here, says that he "wouldn't have signed up for that during the offseason" well, then, I guess it's safe to say you aren't a true Knicks fan. How you you be so negative, when the Knicks are doing soo good? How can you kill MDA... When he's turned the Knicks around & we're on the verge of having some of the same success that the Knicks enjoyed during the 90's. I guess these D'Antoni haters don't miss the good times.

And fans wanna call for a "new coach" before MDA has even had a chance to have a full offseason to work with Billups, Amare & Melo? Pathetic.

D'Antoni & Walsh turned this franchise around. Without D'Antoni; New York would have NEVER signed Amare. Amare loves playing for MDA. Without Amare; Knicks don't have Carmelo right now. Facts.

moneyg

Starter
D'Antoni & Walsh turned this franchise around. Without D'Antoni; New York would have NEVER signed Amare. Amare loves playing for MDA. Without Amare; Knicks don't have Carmelo right now. Facts.

i dont agree with that... Amare question playing for the knicks because of his past realtionship with o'antoni..see their sitdown....

Walsh has been great.. amare would have came with o'antoni.. and Melo would of came with Amare regardless of the coach.

we basically got O'antoni to help recruit/get Lebron,Bosh,Wade...see team USA... and that didnt happen..

So to me..AMARE stepped up to the challenge of putting NY on his back...

Kiyaman

Legend

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

Damn! me too
I dont care if Dantoni take the Knicks to the 2nd round of the playoffs.....
I still want Dantoni FIRED!
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

p0nder

Starter
Kiyaman, what would it take fr you to want to keep D'antoni? I'm just curious as to what the D'antoni haters would require to quell their burning desire to have him removed from the orginization.

If a 2nd round playoff apperance with a team that has had 25-ish games together doesn't do it for you, what would?

A trip to the ECF's? A trip to the Finals? Winning a title? Or do you want even more then that? where is the line?