Knicks Summer League 2015

Broadway

All Star
#kporzee looked about like what I figured. He's gonna have to work on his strength, don't really care about his skill level at this point but his body and ability to maintain his health are paramount.

Kiyaman

Legend
Really pleased with Travis Wear...he deserves a real shot to play this yr. I mean a real shot, none of that crap Fisher pulled with him last yr. He appears to really get what we're doing and always looked like he did day 1 on the job.

The problem with 6.10 Wear great passing IQ n 6.9 Early are their best skills are as a big-guard, the two are not NBA fowards in any capacity.
Thanis best skills are as a big-guard but coaches put his athleticism as a foward.
I notice in the past 9 years the Knicks never had one dominanting bigmen on their summer league roster!!!

Broadway

All Star
The problem with 6.10 Wear great passing IQ n 6.9 Early are their best skills are as a big-guard, the two are not NBA fowards in any capacity.
Thanis best skills are as a big-guard but coaches put his athleticism as a foward.
I notice in the past 9 years the Knicks never had one dominanting bigmen on their summer league roster!!!

There were a couple miscues offensively with passing Wear was involved in that shouldn't have happened but it looked more like unfamiliarity with each other's game than anything. He clearly understands our sets and where guys should be.

He more than likely doesn't fit long term or even short term but if he sticks with team I want him to get playing time. He was a +/- 21 for us and generally held a higher +/- over other teammates last yr. Sometimes the little things have great value otherwise IMO he'll be a wasted asset we didn't capitalize on.

tiger0330

Legend
Galloway has been so terrible in transition, he won't give the ball up quicker. #kproze has to be better defensively around the basket.
Couldn't catch the game, I'll watch it later but any opinions on Grant?

Looks like Zinger had a nice game though you can't get excited about one summer league game. I remember Donte Greene had a monster game his first game in summer league and he's out of the league now.

Broadway

All Star
Couldn't catch the game, I'll watch it later but any opinions on Grant?

Looks like Zinger had a nice game though you can't get excited about one summer league game. I remember Donte Greene had a monster game his first game in summer league and he's out of the league now.

Grant was okay. Wanted to see more point guard command from him but he made some things happen today. #kporzee was nice but he needs an NBA body(for defense)and more confidence-comfort(in his natural abilities).

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Porzingis looked pretty good. He obviously needs to get stronger so he can box out more effectively and play more effectively down low, but other than that, he showed the good stuff. Despite coming off a hip injury, he ran the floor really well, showed a pretty good stroke, knocked down his free throws, and blocked a couple shots. For a 19 year old? I'll take it.

Cleanthony Early looked really good this game. I think he might have potential to be a good 6th man in the future.

Broadway

All Star
#kporzee I'm happy he represented well his first game but there is just so much talent in this draft(so many players with very good SL showings). We need him to be the rare great talent, being just a solid pick won't cut it.

#kporzee I'm happy he represented well his first game but there is just so much talent in this draft(so many players with very good SL showings). We need him to be the rare great talent, being just a solid pick won't cut it.

He may be a string bean, but I've never seen a guy his size move like he did on the court today. He was so active on both ends of the court. I think he could be an effective player in this league just based on athleticism and size. Add the fact that he is arguably the best shooter in this draft and take notice that he was actually recognizing and making defensive adjustments today that Stat still hasn't figured out after a decade in the league and I think that if neither his body nor the Knicks coaches screw him up, we may have the most interesting young player in the league to watch for the foreseeable future.

Broadway

All Star
He may be a string bean, but I've never seen a guy his size move like he did on the court today. He was so active on both ends of the court. I think he could be an effective player in this league just based on athleticism and size. Add the fact that he is arguably the best shooter in this draft and take notice that he was actually recognizing and making defensive adjustments today that Stat still hasn't figured out after a decade in the league and I think that if neither his body nor the Knicks coaches screw him up, we may have the most interesting young player in the league to watch for the foreseeable future.

I hope he shoots it like Dirk and I like his physical attributes but...

Bobby Portis(looked way better than Towns today)
Turner
Anderson
Ubre
Johnson
Heck even Larry Nance Jr.

Just to name a few look incredibly impressive removing bias and hopes. Once again #kporzee can't simply be a good pick he has to be GREAT....no other way to put it.

Broadway

All Star
No different than what the Lakers are dealing with in D'Angelo, he can't just a be a solid pick at 2. They passed on a lot of guys, one of whom is Jahlil Okafor(who's looking very very very very legit). Making Hinkie possibly rebound quickly from the Embed early debacle. Russell looks to be very average thus far, not bad but average. So as with our pick #kprozee can't have an end result of avoiding being a BUST he has to be SPECIAL

Kiyaman

Legend
There were a couple miscues offensively with passing Wear was involved in that shouldn't have happened but it looked more like unfamiliarity with each other's game than anything. He clearly understands our sets and where guys should be.

He more than likely doesn't fit long term or even short term but if he sticks with team I want him to get playing time. He was a +/- 21 for us and generally held a higher +/- over other teammates last yr. Sometimes the little things have great value otherwise IMO he'll be a wasted asset we didn't capitalize on.

I will start evaluating players in the final 3 games .. plus Fisher's coaching

Wear has a high team b.ball IQ and nice handle as a wing, the Knicks must sign him.
The Knicks first summer game of teammates feeling-out new teammates had a great team attitude affect to win it in the 4th quarter. This game were the Spurs 3rd or 4th game .. Good Knicks WIN!!!

Broadway

All Star
Johnson having the best summer league of the top guys drafted, though Vegas hasn't started. I think SVG found a gem with this kid.

Stanley Johnson got a promise from the Pistons for a reason. This draft is gonna be so deep and rich with talent 3-5yrs from now. Multiple Perennial All-Stars

For all the knock about Mudiay and his shooting(which still needs improvement) all his other ability is knocking on the door of other worldly(namely his court vision). Can't believe Denver got him @ 7

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Let's be real though, this is just summer league. Plenty of players play well in summer league only to suck it up during the regular season. At best, what this shows us is that Porzingis has some decent raw tools and potential. That's about it.

That being said, I'm going to make a bold prediction. Porzingis is a student of the game with good intangibles, a strong work ethic, and good natural tools. I think he's going to be a solid rotation player like 2016-17 and a starter by 2017-18. Yeah, he's raw and skinny, but so were Giannis Antetokounmpo and Rudy Gobert. Those guys each needed a year as bench players to work on their games and adjust to the NBA before they became solid starters (who will continue to improve), and I think the same is going to be true for Porzingis. He's going to spend most of his first year getting a few minutes here or there but spending most of his time working out in the weight room and adding size. Next year is going to be when he makes his impact.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Let's be real though, this is just summer league. Plenty of players play well in summer league only to suck it up during the regular season. At best, what this shows us is that Porzingis has some decent raw tools and potential. That's about it.

That being said, I'm going to make a bold prediction. Porzingis is a student of the game with good intangibles, a strong work ethic, and good natural tools. I think he's going to be a solid rotation player like 2016-17 and a starter by 2017-18. Yeah, he's raw and skinny, but so were Giannis Antetokounmpo and Rudy Gobert. Those guys each needed a year as bench players to work on their games and adjust to the NBA before they became solid starters (who will continue to improve), and I think the same is going to be true for Porzingis. He's going to spend most of his first year getting a few minutes here or there but spending most of his time working out in the weight room and adding size. Next year is going to be when he makes his impact.
I'd like to see him start. Play him as a stretch four and his strength won't nearly be a factor as if the Knicks played him at C. He may have the best skill set at PF compared to Williams, O'Quinn, Thomas and Amundsen and his length makes up for his lack of strength. I hope they give him a chance to start and not rule it out because they want to bring him along slowly.

mafra

Legend

Exactly. Well said...

I think Phil did everything he could to convince himself NOT to draft Porzingis. Sure, who wouldn’t want a 19-yr-old kid with his measurables (7”3’ w/ shoes; 7”6’ wingspan; 38-inch vertical leap), with 3 years of pro ball experience, who possesses a SG’s shooting stroke!

But, the kid is skinny for a cartoon character, he’s from Europe, he’s not ideal to mesh with ‘Melo in the short-term plan, and the backlash will be tremendous (after a year of failure and miscues after failure and miscues).

Still, when you see it… you see it. And, if you’re Phil and you saw it firsthand yourself, then how do you convince yourself that it wasn’t all that impressive?

I mean, when you add the intangibles with the measurables… when you consider the skill set, and raw talent, and the inherent attributes you simply cannot “teach” then you have what PJ arrived at:

A once-in-a-decade prospect: a raw kid with tremendous size, and length, and freakish athleticism; a natural ability that’s rivaled and matched with a personality, intelligence, grit and toughness, to go with an incredibly efficiency and a humble demeanor and mature composure, and a high bball IQ... He really is the complete package, and his mind/attitude displays a wisdom well beyond his age.

I mean, what’s left not to like? (1) The EURO prejudice. This is justified, but only a fool would allow a general stereotype to cloud your judgment about the individual. (2) His weight. Other than being an obstacle in the short-term, putting on muscle is as easy as anything else with proper diet/training.

Sure, Mudiay, Johnson, Winslow, WCS, Kaminsky, Lyles, Herzonjia… all solid prospects in their own right… And, yes, Porz has to stay healthy (which may not be an easy feat), and his body has to handle the 82 game season… And, yes, if you take the field, and keep saying this prospect, or that prospect is good now, or can be better… I’m sure the odds are in your favor that if we look back in 7 years… somebody picked after PORZ may be the better NBA player.

However, given his size and talent, and already seeing how he’s handled himself (booing, SL, interviews)… I totally get why scouts went ga-ga… and why we took him. Personally, it would have been tough for me to take PORZ over Mudiay… but Mudiay not a great fit for PJ’s triangle. And PJ is drafting for his style, so saying why draft a guy for a system we won’t play in 3 years (even if valid, is a fool’s errand).

Anyway, there’s always risk. But, like some have said, NYK couldn’t just draft a good player (Mudiay, Kaminsky, WCS)… they needed to really hit one out of the park here. They deemed PORZ to be that prospect. For those who are adamant that we went with the wrong guy… go on record now, and tell me who was the better option. Then, in 5 years, we shall see…

Broadway

All Star
I'd like to see him start. Play him as a stretch four and his strength won't nearly be a factor as if the Knicks played him at C. He may have the best skill set at PF compared to Williams, O'Quinn, Thomas and Amundsen and his length makes up for his lack of strength. I hope they give him a chance to start and not rule it out because they want to bring him along slowly.

Yeah while I agree with the sink or swim mentality Thomas and Amundson aren't simply window dressing signings. Fisher likes these guys and they're going to play. Remember we're placing lots of import this offseason on defense and rebounding, those 2 guys provide this. In #kporzee's case won't be physically where we need him to be and the 82 gm grind will more than likely prove to be too much.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Stanley Johnson got a promise from the Pistons for a reason. This draft is gonna be so deep and rich with talent 3-5yrs from now. Multiple Perennial All-Stars

For all the knock about Mudiay and his shooting(which still needs improvement) all his other ability is knocking on the door of other worldly(namely his court vision). Can't believe Denver got him @ 7

When you apply the eye test Mudiay looks to be the much better player than the Zinger at this point. Same age, but Mudiay looks to much more NBA ready physically. And when was the last time we had a floor general like that with such court vision??? And why can't a 7'1" kid with a 38" vert throw down an ally-pop??? Hmmmmm

Broadway

All Star
Exactly. Well said...

Anyway, there’s always risk. But, like some have said, NYK couldn’t just draft a good player (Mudiay, Kaminsky, WCS)… they needed to really hit one out of the park here. They deemed PORZ to be that prospect. For those who are adamant that we went with the wrong guy… go on record now, and tell me who was the better option. Then, in 5 years, we shall see…

Pigeon holing Mudiay, Kaminsky, WCS or any other prospect as just good shows the built in bias defending the one who made the pick and labeling it an automatic sound decision.

And between all the other long winded stuff posted you could have summed up everything in 1 sentence and said "Phil took #kporzee due to Triangle fit."

What I do is take out the selector and place said prospect's floor and ceiling against all other talent regardless of system or team. There are several prospects who will be able to affect the game in several capacities #kporzee never will and vice versa. Needless to say some of the aspects in which they will, are equally immeasurable if not more so to #kporzee

The fact there's a greater chance of several players picked below #kporzee being better than him, than him being better than the field puts things into perspective of how big a reach this was by Phil.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

Can't teach Okafor's hand size the foot work he has(other may never have) at his size.

And if he learns how to play defense like this...

He's gonna be a BIG TORUBLE

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
When you apply the eye test Mudiay looks to be the much better player than the Zinger at this point. Same age, but Mudiay looks to much more NBA ready physically. And when was the last time we had a floor general like that with such court vision??? And why can't a 7'1" kid with a 38" vert throw down an ally-pop??? Hmmmmm

Big men generally take longer to develop. This has been the case since the dawn of time.