Knicks Summer League 2015

tiger0330

Legend
Zero reason, but we all know come the start of the regular season, Calderon will be starting.
I hope DFish has an open mind about the starters, Calderon was horrible last season and he would be the first one to tell you that. The starting PG position should be wide open for Grant, Calderon or Galloway to take.

We could have gone with Bobby Portis/RHJ/Looney/LNJr or maybe even asked for Mike Muscala

My hope is that the difference between Porzinigis and those guys you mentioned will be much greater than the likely difference of Mudiay over Grant going forward. Impossible to say anything in that regard with much certainty at this point. I will say this, both Mudiay and Porzingis seem likely to pan out to be very exciting players to watch for a very long time, if for no other reason than they are both very special physical talents.

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on Early so far. Based on mediocre returns last season, I didn't even figure him in as part of our rotation, but he has looked explosive so far in 2 summer league games. Anyone think that he is going to be an exciting part of our 2nd unit or is he most likely more summer league fool's gold?

Broadway

All Star
I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on Early so far. Based on mediocre returns last season, I didn't even figure him in as part of our rotation, but he has looked explosive so far in 2 summer league games. Anyone think that he is going to be an exciting part of our 2nd unit or is he most likely more summer league fool's gold?

He looks spry but good luck finding minutes between Derrick Williams and Melo hogging the 3 minutes. Williams and Melo may play some 4 but there are only so many minutes and bodies to go around.

This Knicks/Sixers Summer League game tonight has made me feel more excited about being a Knicks fan than I have felt in 2 years, which admittedly is pretty sad.

Can we find a way to get Ndour a roster spot this season? Dude was a monster tonight. I know it's only Summer League, but still.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mitch Kupchak has been doing this successfully for a long time. He jumped Russell over Okafor because he saw "star" potential in this kid, I doubt he is that wrong about Russell that he goes from star to bust over 3 summer league games.

When Rondo camp turned down Kupchak .. the Lakers organization were in PG less trouble for Kobe final season.
Kupchak had to select the best PG in the NCAA .
Kobe gets No Luv from teammates or FA veteran centers or PG LOL

Ndour 10-15 23 pts overtime WIN!
WHAT! 3 WINS

tiger0330

Legend
Ndour got DFishes attention in game 1 and he made him a starter in the next 2 games. He looks solid, def a camp invite but did anyone know anything about him before summer league. Seems to come out of nowhere like JLin.

tiger0330

Legend
This kid Ndour opened some eyes with his strong first game. Got the start in game 2 and is playing well, I would expect he gets a camp invite.

Ante looks to be headed to Europe if he can get a contract.
Looks like I was the only one in this thread that was impressed with Ndour since game 1.

Ante has no shot at getting a spot or the Knicks signing him, I hope he can catch on with a Euro team and develop his game.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Great defense by Porzingis on Okafor. Blocked him 4 times I think. If he can guard Okafor, he should be fine but I wish he shot the ball more. I want to see that 3pt range!

Last edited:

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Ndour got DFishes attention in game 1 and he made him a starter in the next 2 games. He looks solid, def a camp invite but did anyone know anything about him before summer league. Seems to come out of nowhere like JLin.

Yeah I never heard of him before last week but his story is pretty unique.

Paul1355

All Star
This Knicks/Sixers Summer League game tonight has made me feel more excited about being a Knicks fan than I have felt in 2 years, which admittedly is pretty sad.
Haha true I felt same way and then pondered how much losing I was use to. But you have to admit that it's good seeing us hustle on every play. These guys are playing hard for Fisher and we can lose but hustling is something ny fans expect.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Paul1355

All Star
Can we find a way to get Ndour a roster spot this season? Dude was a monster tonight. I know it's only Summer League, but still.
We have 2 spots open if we sign Ledo, galloway and early to their second year on their deals.

Thing is I think Ledo has been a disappointment and might lose his job. Ndour, Kirk and even Antentakoumpo with his defense is more valuable.

Phil.said he wants a back up center and Kirk has NBA experience with the cavs so I expect him to replace aldrich

Paul1355

All Star
Great defense by Porzingis on Okafor. Blocked him 4 times I think. If he can guard Okafor, he should be fine but I wish he shot the ball more. I want to see that 3pt range!
Porzingis was smart on offense. He can shoot the 3 but knows they could get a better shot. The knicks need to run plays for him. He had only 5 shot attempts while ndour had 15 attempts.

Broadway

All Star
#kporzee probably played his best game today. I liked what he brought defensively. He accepted the challenge and won parts of the battle and ultimately the war Knicks 3-0. Grant was solid along with contribution once again from Early.

Our best SL performer just may be Ndour. Last time Ndour was popping....these guys were putting in work

ewoks.jpg

He's probably a major reason Shved is not getting a larger offer from us. He should make the team real talk.

mafra

Legend
LAS VEGAS ? Kristaps Porzingis made his biggest gaffe as a Knick, then made up for it sweetly in overtime.

In his summer showdown against Jahlil Okafor, Porzingis? seventh foul proved to be the saltiest. Just as the Knicks summer team was about to go to 3-0, an overaggressive Porzingis made contact with Sixers guard Scottie Wilbekin while blocking his 3-point attempt with 1.9 seconds left and Philadelphia down three.

For the first time, the normally poised 19-year-old Porzingis looked perplexed, arguing the call. Wilbekin drained all three free throws to knot the score and force a two-minute overtime.

Nevertheless, the Knicks prevailed to stay unbeaten with Porzingis blocking a layup attempt by Okafor, the No. 3 overall pick, in the final minute to preserve the 83-81 win at Thomas & Mack Center after which a small group of Knicks fans chanted Porzingis? name.

?He?s really good,?? Okafor said. ?He?s a top-5 pick for a reason. He?s a helluva player. Looks like he could do everything and he has the respect of his teammates.??
The Okafor-Porzingis matchup had some Vegas buzz. After all, the Sixers had the choice of taking either the more ready low-post monster Okafor at No.3 or the bigger gamble but bigger upside in the 7-foot-3 European.
Porzingis finished with nine points, three blocks, three rebounds and three assists in 22 minutes, while Okafor finished with 18 points and six rebounds. Porzingis took just five shots, making three. He continued to show more grit than glitz ? something no one envisioned.

?I surprised people who had never seen me play before,?? Porzingis said. ?They thought the skinny guy from overseas can?t play. I haven?t had a great game yet. I?m playing OK, playing hard. Fans appreciate that and cheer for me.?
Porzingis is averaging 10.0 points and three rebounds through three games, and has yet to make a 3-point basket, but, as one scout said, ?he?s doing the things people didn?t think he?d do.??

?He loves to compete,?? Knicks coach Derek Fisher said. ?A lot of young guys don?t love the game and competing and mixing it up the way he does. I don?t think he thinks of his frame as a disadvantage. He?s willing to get down and dirty. I think he showed that tonight. He stood up to Okafor and played him. Statistically, Okafor won the game but Kristaps? team won. That?s the major stat that tells you the difference between guys.??

In the early going, Porzingis sank a long 2-point shot over Okafor, who responded by backing him in like a rag doll and drawing a foul. Porzingis picked up seven fouls, but said he?s taking more chances in summer league because of the 10-foul limit. He promised to adjust in the regular season and he adjusted in the second half on Okafor, fronting him. But his eagerness cost him with the last-second foul on the Wilbekin 3-point try.

?I guess at that moment it wasn?t a foul but later on the replay I could?ve stayed on the ground and lifted my hands up on the shot. I guess it was a foul,? Porzingis said.
And it was a clean block in the final minute on Okafor.

?I?m trying to play hard defense, every stop is very important for us,?? Porzingis said. ?I got another block and helped my team win. I?m a shotblocker.??

The Sixers went with the safer choice in Okafor. Ironically, Knicks general manager Steve Mills revealed on MSG Network that Clarence Gaines, Phil Jackson?s top advisor, graded Porzingis as the No. 1 pick in the draft over Okafor and Karl-Anthony Towns.

According to a source, Philly ownership may have played a role in wanting a more finished, well-known product to fill seats at Wachovia Center. But Porzingis looks like he?ll be drawings fans at the Garden.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/14/porzin...nal-minute-of-ot-in-knicks-summer-league-win/

Knixy

Benchwarmer
“He’s really good,’’ Okafor said. “He’s a top-5 pick for a reason. He’s a helluva player. Looks like he could do everything and he has the respect of his teammates.’’

“I surprised people who had never seen me play before,’’ Porzingis said. “They thought the skinny guy from overseas can’t play. I haven’t had a great game yet. I’m playing OK, playing hard. Fans appreciate that and cheer for me.”

“He loves to compete,’’ Knicks coach Derek Fisher said. “A lot of young guys don’t love the game and competing and mixing it up the way he does. I don’t think he thinks of his frame as a disadvantage. He’s willing to get down and dirty. I think he showed that tonight. He stood up to Okafor and played him. Statistically, Okafor won the game but Kristaps’ team won. That’s the major stat that tells you the difference between guys.’’

“I’m trying to play hard defense, every stop is very important for us,’’ Porzingis said. “I got another block and helped my team win. I’m a shotblocker.’’

http://nypost.com/2015/07/14/porzingis-rejects-okafor-in-final-minute-of-ot-in-knicks-summer-league-win/

Love this kid!