Knicks will sign Tyson Chandler, use amnesty on Billups

th3realicon

Rotation player
I agree %100. Not to mention we can sign Hill and possibly Davis. That would be amazing.:crossfingers:

Hill ain't coming, and Davis has been rotting on losing cultures for a while now. He is demotivated, getting fat and get hurt a lot. Now perhaps all he needs is a new challenge but i wouldn't bet on it.

smokes

Huge Member
And they better get this done as an S&T for several reasons.

Firstly Dallas is not looking for cap space this year they are looking for cap space next year so taking an expiring is no big deal for them. Second it would leave us with our MLE to get another player. If we amnesty Billups we not only lose the amnesty for the next several years we also lose our MLE which means no more plugging holes, only minimum contracts.

Now we could get insanely lucky and get a Baron Davis on a minimum deal since he already got his payday this year however it's much more likely that he or someone of his calibre would want the MLE. Hell if he would sign for the minimum we could use the MLE to bring in even more talent... Possibly a Michael Redd.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I didn't say anything about CP3 being serviceable... I said it's easier to get a serviceable PG than a serviceable scoring PF.

Of course you need scoring from the PF position. Chandler does not add more than 10ppg even in NO with Paul he averaged 10ppg over his 2 years there.

Whether or not Melo can post does not reduce the fact that you need some form of inside scoring when the going gets tough. Amare is an absolute beast down low and we would be completely negating that from our team.

It's not hard or expensive to get players who can shoot 18-22 footers. It is very hard and expensive to get 20+ppg big men.

Amare was more of a perimeter player last year and when he did score in the paint it was either from facing up around the key and driving or off of rolling to the basket catching an assist from Felton. Maybe you don't remember how frustrating it was to watch Amare turn the ball over one time after another for most of the season?

I would much rather have Melo in the post any day and feel Amare is only at his best when he has an above average PG creating easy plays for him. Think how terrible he looked in preseason before Felton got into his grove and how lost he looked after the trade. Ideally you would want CP3 AND Amare but I don't advocate trading Melo.

CP3 is better than Amare...period! The PG is a more crucial position than PF...period. Therefore CP3 is the better choice 10 times out of 10.

Red

TYPE-A
STAT's value is as a LEADER... intangibles.

They are born not made and NY needs a STAT. These thin-skinned dudes need a STAT. He's hungry and the best at what he does. Can he improve, sure. Is he all-world...no, but believe me a healthy STAT keeps dudes up at night.

He's the Derek Jeter of the Knicks.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Hill ain't coming, and Davis has been rotting on losing cultures for a while now. He is demotivated, getting fat and get hurt a lot. Now perhaps all he needs is a new challenge but i wouldn't bet on it.

Dude! Davis actually did a good job when he was traded to the Cavs. He even lead them to a couple of wins against our Knicks. The original bearded one can still play.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree having your main players at C SF and PG creates better synergy but I also believe that Chandler does better when he has a good scorer next to him on the blocks. there's pros and cons for each scenario. not sure which direction to go in right now but either way come tomorrow something big is going to happen because teams want their rosters set and ready to go for this shortened training camp.

I guess the question to ask is who's better at their individual position.. STAT or CP3?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
STAT's value is as a LEADER... intangibles.

They are born not made and NY needs a STAT. These thin-skinned dudes need a STAT. He's hungry and the best at what he does. Can he improve, sure. Is he all-world...no, but believe me a healthy STAT keeps dudes up at night.

He's the Derek Jeter of the Knicks.

CP3 isn't a leader? Tyson isn't bringing a championship pedigree? Leadership without Stat would be fine. I love Stat, don't get me wrong but the more I think about it the more it becomes clear that if you have a chance at CP3 you go for it.

Red

TYPE-A
Amare was more of a perimeter player last year and when he did score in the paint it was either from facing up around the key and driving or off of rolling to the basket catching an assist from Felton. Maybe you don't remember how frustrating it was to watch Amare turn the ball over one time after another for most of the season?

I would much rather have Melo in the post any day and feel Amare is only at his best when he has an above average PG creating easy plays for him. Think how terrible he looked in preseason before Felton got into his grove and how lost he looked after the trade. Ideally you would want CP3 AND Amare but I don't advocate trading Melo.

CP3 is better than Amare...period! The PG is a more crucial position than PF...period. Therefore CP3 is the better choice 10 times out of 10.

Huh?

You are smoking something. Look at years past champions...

now ask yourself what do they have in common...

Size and knock down shooters.

Rebounds, defense, scoring, drawing fouls, altering shots, versatility, intimidation, etc...

there are more facilitators than quality bigs... the market says different than you.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I agree having your main players at C SF and PG creates better synergy but I also believe that Chandler does better when he has a good scorer next to him on the blocks. there's pros and cons for each scenario. not sure which direction to go in right now but either way come tomorrow something big is going to happen because teams want their rosters set and ready to go for this shortened training camp.

I guess the question to ask is who's better at their individual position.. STAT or CP3?

What better scorer does he need besides Melo? Again, STAT is a face up slash to the basket typ player...not a back to the basket player who creates a double team leaving Tyson open. If anything Melo is more suited for that and I would argue that if you are hinging this decision on Tyson's offensive optimization you would have to conclude he would do best getting lobs from CP3 as STAT is not know for breaking down the D and dishing. Once Stat commits he rarely passes.

besides, why is Tysons offense even the issue? He is a rebounder and defender so even if his offense were to be hurt by losing STAT(i don't agree) that should not be the determining factor.

smokes

Huge Member

CP3 better than Amare? Yes but it's not even a comparison as they are completely different players.

PG more crucial than PF? Debateable. In this projected lineup I'd disagree.

And what you just said is what I'm getting at, it's not hard to get a player of Feltons quality who can feed STAT the ball. Also he was shouldering the entire load of the team so it's unsurprising his game was not flowing, everyone knew STAT was our only go to guy and it's not hard to double one guy all day long. With Melo alongside him and a decent PG STAT will shine, with a 7 footer next to him he will be out of the god damn building.

In the only year STAT played a full season next to a legit 7 footer (SHAQ) he absolutely beasted. He went from 1.3 to 2.1 BPG, and scored 25ppg on 59%.

If we get to see STAT playing alongside Chandler and Melo to take the load off it will be pure poetry.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Huh?

You are smoking something. Look at years past champions...

now ask yourself what do they have in common...

Size and knock down shooters.

Rebounds, defense, scoring, drawing fouls, altering shots, versatility, intimidation, etc...

there are more facilitators than quality bigs... the market says different than you.

You did not address my point and now you are asserting something I never said. Thats called a strawman.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
CP3 better than Amare? Yes but it's not even a comparison as they are completely different players.

PG more crucial than PF? Debateable. In this projected lineup I'd disagree.

And what you just said is what I'm getting at, it's not hard to get a player of Feltons quality who can feed STAT the ball. Also he was shouldering the entire load of the team so it's unsurprising his game was not flowing, everyone knew STAT was our only go to guy and it's not hard to double one guy all day long. With Melo alongside him and a decent PG STAT will shine, with a 7 footer next to him he will be out of the god damn building.

In the only year STAT played a full season next to a legit 7 footer (SHAQ) he absolutely beasted. He went from 1.3 to 2.1 BPG, and scored 25ppg on 59%.

If we get to see STAT playing alongside Chandler and Melo to take the load off it will be pure poetry.

I don't disagree and I think it comes down to taste. I value CP3 along side Melo and Tyson more than Amare. We will never know which would be best and it's all theory since we will never see both options come to fruition.

Red

TYPE-A
You did not address my point and now you are asserting something I never said. Thats called a strawman.

Your point about CP3 being a leader or Chandler being a championship pedigree?

CP3 has not proven he can thrive in a major market... STAT has

CP3 can be stopped by a good defender... STAT cant be stopped

CP3 facilitates... as does Felton and a slew of other PG's

CP3 as all guards need weapons... STAT carried franchises BY HIMSELF

Took Tim Duncan to school, and put fear into Garnett who needed help.

STAT is the reason we are even having this conversation. Recognize, leaders don't grow on trees, forget about big man leaders.

Chandler won the Championship as a compliment backseat to the real stars

Chandler " " by excelling in his walk year

Derek Jeter n!gga... DEREK JETER... LEADER.

Red

TYPE-A
He did the same to me and then professes some kind of intelligence.

WTF are you babbling about?

to continue...

Stat has a proven work ethic and galvanized this team. CP3 was thought to not be fully healed until last years playoffs. CP3 needs dudes like stat.

And that facing the basket sh!t was due to MOA not knowing how to adequately use and coach bigs...hello!?

smokes

Huge Member

STAT is the reason we are even having this conversation. Recognize, leaders don't grow on trees, forget about big man leaders.

I have to agree with Red... In a more respectful way... I know you guys have your issues ;)

Stat one on one cannot be stopped. 2 on 1 yes but if you go 2 on 1 with Melo and Chandler there you're just asking for trouble.

Chandler also won a championship as a 1 year rental. JT and Dirk were the reasons Dallas won that ring not Chandler. Of course he provided a much needed service on that team but he does not come close to making up for any shortcomings we would have if we traded STAT.

The only thing I disagree with is STAT necessarily carrying alone. In PHX he didn't have real success until he had Steve Nash. Here in 2010 there is more argument he did pretty much carry us to the playoffs alone.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

So you are claiming STAT is the better player! That is just foolish.

Red

TYPE-A
So you are claiming STAT is the better player! That is just foolish.

another spin...ding!

No

I'm claiming STAT is better than other PF's

What CP brings can be duplicated...

thus (without the apples vs oranges) STAT is more valuable especially because of the above and he proved he could thrive alone in this city.

Bottom line is bigs earn more value points due to the nature of the game. Why do you think we traded for Stat and not a PG when we had the chance?

Because things being equal, given the choice, STAT and a mediocre PG is better than CP3 and a mediocre PF... add, the mediocre pg won't be totally eclipsed by CP3 versus the opposite and is more acquirable.

Think about that.

Bigs = Value due to many factors such as demand, availability, nature of the sport (closer to the basket etc...)

We already have one... time to go for two, shit stockpile them!