Other NBA games and League

Hmm, if I was a Pelicans fan, my excitement for Zion took a pretty big hit seeing the state of his body and how he looked running so far tonight. Yikes.

mafra

Legend
What did he look like?

Former NBA commissioner David Stern died at age 77 on the first of the year, and a memorial service was held at Radio City Music Hall in New York City to remember his legacy.

And it was all on Knicks owner James Dolan's dime.

According to SNY's Ian Begley, all the expenses for the memorial service were covered by Dolan, as Tishman Speyer Properties -- the owner of Radio City Music Hall -- is operated by his Madison Square Garden company. The Knicks also cancelled practice on Tuesday to attend the service

mafra

Legend
22-7-3 on 8-11 shooting for Zion in his debut (he scored 17 straight in 4th).

Did little until 4th Q explosion... drained 4 threes and an alley oop to give NOP lead briefly....

But Gentry wouldn?t let him finish game, bc of minutes restrictions. Coach gotta realize something special was occurring... let it ride and rest later.

Coach has to know that something special was unfolding... Zion never made more than 3 threes in a game at Duke. Boom, he just knocked down 4 and has 17 in fourth quarter run... NOP takes lead... let the man finish. See how far that run ran... He was en fuego... maybe he gets 30 in the Q. Win game. Then rest him a week if you want.

Instead, with 5 to go in the game, he pulls Zion with team down 113-108. Kills the moment.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I hope he doesn’t get injured again. Said when he got injured he should be looking at changing his diet to lose weight but he appears to be exactly the same weight now. His jump shot form just the same as when he was at Duke, that funny push shot that comes out in a low trajectory, wonder if that’s sustainable for a reliable high pct shot. Anyway a nice debut for him, I expected to be on a minutes restriction and didn’t expect much in his debut but he put on a show. Pels have been playing better as of late but I’d expect they’ll be even better with him in the lineup. Ingram, Ball, Z, Hart thats a nice young core.

Last edited:
Zion is an amazing talent, but dude is the 3rd heaviest player in the NBA. He?s not anywhere near the tallest. He?s 19-years-old. He runs weird now. I hope things work out for him, but I could things going full Greg Oden for him.

tiger0330

Legend
The Pels are trying to use physics with him, teaching him how to land with less force, move differently to take stress off his knees. Good luck with that, he's got to lose weight, pure and simple. They better not take him off that minutes restriction until the end of the season playing him in these 4 min stints each qtr. then get him with a dietitian and trainer to get more lean muscle mass and less baby fat on him in the off season.

mafra

Legend
Well this certainly is going to ruin the day for Knicks fans everywhere.

On the most recent episode of Showtime's "All the Smoke" with Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes, Warriors superstar Steph Curry made one thing explicitly clear.

"I wanted to go to New York and thought I was going to New York," the three-time NBA champion said. "At the draft -- in the green room -- like, 'Oh, get to the eight spot and New York can get me.'

"And then I got the call from (then Warriors GM) Larry Riley, like 'We're going to pick you in the seventh spot.'"

Over the years, we've read stories about how Curry's father, Dell, and his agent, Jeff Austin, didn't want Curry to land in Golden State. But I don't think we have heard it straight from the two-time NBA MVP himself.

Here's an excerpt from a May 2015 article by Marc Spears, who worked for Yahoo at the time:

Riley also liked that Curry was the son of a successful and respected ex-NBA player. Riley sold then-Warriors coach Don Nelson on Curry as well. Austin and Dell Curry still tried to keep the Warriors away from Stephen Curry. But Austin told then-Knicks president Donnie Walsh that unless they could trade up, he expected Golden State to draft Curry. Austin said Walsh didn't believe him because the Warriors already had guard Monta Ellis.

"I said, 'Larry, I like you a lot and respect you a lot, but don't take Steph. This is not the right place for him,' " Austin said. "We wanted him in New York."

Said Riley: "Dell was the same way. He was almost cold."

If Curry ended up in the Big Apple, you never know how things would have turned out. But Knicks fans, of course, will tell you the franchise would have won multiple titles by now (which is entirely possible).

Let's end this by reminding everybody that Curry's career high came on Feb. 27, 2013 when he scored 54 points against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Warriors fans should thank Larry Riley every day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...eph-curry-admits-wanted-knicks-181933618.html

Kiyaman

Legend
Well this certainly is going to ruin the day for Knicks fans everywhere.

On the most recent episode of Showtime's "All the Smoke" with Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes, Warriors superstar Steph Curry made one thing explicitly clear.

"I wanted to go to New York and thought I was going to New York," the three-time NBA champion said. "At the draft -- in the green room -- like, 'Oh, get to the eight spot and New York can get me.'

"And then I got the call from (then Warriors GM) Larry Riley, like 'We're going to pick you in the seventh spot.'"

Over the years, we've read stories about how Curry's father, Dell, and his agent, Jeff Austin, didn't want Curry to land in Golden State. But I don't think we have heard it straight from the two-time NBA MVP himself.

Here's an excerpt from a May 2015 article by Marc Spears, who worked for Yahoo at the time:

Riley also liked that Curry was the son of a successful and respected ex-NBA player. Riley sold then-Warriors coach Don Nelson on Curry as well. Austin and Dell Curry still tried to keep the Warriors away from Stephen Curry. But Austin told then-Knicks president Donnie Walsh that unless they could trade up, he expected Golden State to draft Curry. Austin said Walsh didn't believe him because the Warriors already had guard Monta Ellis.

"I said, 'Larry, I like you a lot and respect you a lot, but don't take Steph. This is not the right place for him,' " Austin said. "We wanted him in New York."

Said Riley: "Dell was the same way. He was almost cold."

If Curry ended up in the Big Apple, you never know how things would have turned out. But Knicks fans, of course, will tell you the franchise would have won multiple titles by now (which is entirely possible).

Let's end this by reminding everybody that Curry's career high came on Feb. 27, 2013 when he scored 54 points against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Warriors fans should thank Larry Riley every day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...eph-curry-admits-wanted-knicks-181933618.html

The Warriors selected Steph Curry in the draft to upset (and payback) the Knicks owner Dolan. Dolan openly announced weeks before the draft of selecting Steph Curry.
The Warriors were angry at the Knicks for the Jamal Crawford trade they made early in the season, Crawford, (like Starks) did not want to be in Golden State, Crawfords performance did not pan out well when 3 of the Warriors top guards were on the injured-list.
The Warriors season became a lottery team, and Crawford were put on the asap trade-table.
On Curry's draft night the Warriors had 6 guards under guaranteed contract, the Warriors had a poor rebounding season and needed a Big-man out the draft.
The Warriors selecting Curry in the draft, then hiring Mark Jackson as the head-coach to tutor and coach Curry into becoming a top-3 NBA PG .. then snatching GM Steve Mills from becoming President Phil Jackson Knicks head-coach .... The Warriors owner getting Pay-Back from Knicks owner Dolan.

Tonight .. Will Brooklyn Nets Kyrie & Dinwiddle need some strong rebounding to beat the Lakers ???

tiger0330

Legend
Based on that one game and brilliant 3 min stretch Zion hurdles himself to 2nd in statistical ranking for all NBA rookies according to this. RJ fans beware, he doesn't fare well in these rankings being bested by the majority of the rookies in it. I mentioned Brandon Clarke who is having an outstanding rookie season but in a backup role because he plays behind JJ is the true second.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-rookie-rankings

mafra

Legend
I never saw that about Walsh... we all knew Curry wanted to be in NYY, playing for Dantoni.... I didn?t realize his agent warned DW to trade up ahead of GSW....

Walsh thought it was a bluff.... didn?t bother to try....

Epic fail!

Trading up probably means we have to wait for Melo to sign as a free agent, bc we would?ve spent draft capital on that Curry trade

Curry and Melo.... Hmmm....

For those who haven?t been watching, the Nets have now lost 5 straight and are 7 games below 0.500. I could look up the numbers, but I?m pretty sure the Nets have been better without Kyrie than with him. There are now 4 teams within 4 games of the Nets for the 8th seed. Nets might miss the playoffs.

Remember the Nets were 42 - 40 last season. They dismantled a decent team to build their current one.

Yeah, sure, Durant is waiting in the wings for next season, but he?s busy being thin skinned on Twitter right now.

If this was us instead of Brooklyn, we would be getting dragged every day on ESPN.

Maybe Zion just needed a few minutes to get his legs under him the other night. Starting to look more like his old self now.

mafra

Legend
Doncic hit 1-5 FTs today. He?s shooting 50% from charity stripe last 6 games. How can a dude rain down 3s, but then shoot a FT like Shaq?

mafra

Legend
We better beat Nets tomorrow. They played tonight, played OT.... this is our NBA Finals baby. lol. Yep, we?ve been reduced to this.

Kyrie took 30 shots.... I think everybody else mostly stands around a and watched Irving... all that works to build a team and poof.... all gone. Dimmy and Lavert just don?t mesh well with KI, on the court at least.

I don?t particularly like Lebron, but I have to say that for a guy who does a lot more on the court than just score, ending up 3rd on the all-time scoring list is pretty impressive.

Welcome to the Western Conference, KP. Porzingis not named to All-Star reserves.

That was a lousy trade for us, but it?s funny how people talk as if we traded away the league MVP. KP isn?t even a backup all-star player.

tiger0330

Legend
Welcome to the Western Conference, KP. Porzingis not named to All-Star reserves.

That was a lousy trade for us, but it’s funny how people talk as if we traded away the league MVP. KP isn’t even a backup all-star player.
He's been so so as well this season and even less so coming back from the knee soreness. Nothing has changed about his game, still doesn't have a post game and hasn't become a knockdown 3 pt shooter. He's not a bust but not worth that 150M deal he got so far.