The Knicks suck.

Is D'Antoni doing a good job with the Knicks?

• Yes, I worship the ground he walks on.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes, but he is a jacka$$.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I dunno.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, he sucks.

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by ronoranina
Classic Knicks pessimism and we haven't even played a game that matters yet. Ridiculous..

The preseason matters alot for rookie players/coaches/refs/and fans.
This offseason, some teams added bench players, some teams added
1 or 2 starters, and a couple of teams added a brand new roster.
The majority of the Eastern Conference teams added more bigmen
and guards to their team to compete with the elite Orlando/Boston.

You'll get used to disproportionate reactions on here. It's most common in women that are 'flying the communist flag' and knicksonline.com posters.

Rational deduction is a rarity. It comes from having the dumbness inside your head type of shit.

Ronoranina/Crazy 8...... can not debate this thread with any positive
results or comments of our preseason games to stop any pessimistic comments.
They can not comment on any positive team-plays on offense/defense
from our so-call starting lineup (Felton/Chandler/Gallo/Amare/Turiaf)?
or mention how well our starters look in a SSOL uptempo transition?
We had to add 11 new players to our roster b/c Gallo & Douglas were
the only keepers we could pickup in two years.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
WTF are you attempting to talk about?

Ronoranina/Crazy 8...... can not debate this thread with any positive
results or comments of our preseason games to stop any pessimistic comments.
They can not comment on any positive team-plays on offense/defense
from our so-call starting lineup (Felton/Chandler/Gallo/Amare/Turiaf)?
or mention how well our starters look in a SSOL uptempo transition?
We had to add 11 new players to our roster b/c Gallo & Douglas were
the only keepers we could pickup in two years.

Can't I Kiyaman? Why can't I do that? You're going to have to tell me.

mr_mackey.jpg

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I gotta agree with ABCD, the team looks about the same as before: Lee/Stat as a good power forward with no D (absolutely none, in Lee's case), surrounded by average talent.

If there's a serious upgrade, other than Stat, someone enlighten me.

As for ABCD's thread, it's just fun to predict the season's outcome and then find out if you were right.

The only difference between this and threads predicting 45 wins is positivity vs. negativity: the use of the available data to predict either wins or losses, so far ahead of the season's middle or end, is of similar quality.

If you get on ABCD's case for this thread, you have to do the same to those who post extremely optimistic ones.

iJoe

Rotation player
I'm officially changing my mind this team has a playoff spot locked

Go Knicks Go

Heh... thats just sad if you're flip flopping G Bush style on a team with just one game in the preseason.

Its a long way to go till we can get an accurate measure of this team. We can't run Felton/Douglas on bigger guards that post up and rebounding still looks like an issue. Other than that, I've been cautiously optimistic about this team.

With the amount of youth on this team, its gonna be really fun watching this team grow game to game. I'm gonna have a blast rooting for this team even though its guaranteed theres gonna be some growing pains. Even if everyone doesn't pan out, we'll still have a few gems, financial flexibility and trade bait.

I just can't stand those dumb haters who blast on our team and claim we'd be better with guys like Iverson, Larry Hughes, and Barron *you know who you are :peace:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Worst was when some people suggested we get Gilbert Arenas this summer after "The Decision"...that was pitiful.

Seriously, guys, it's ****ing PRESEASON. Do you REALLY think Minnesota is that good, or the Lakers are that bad, or that the LeBron-less Cavs are really going to keep up their .833 winning percentage?

**** no, and you'd have to be a moron to say otherwise. The Knicks' postseason record has absolutely nothing to do with how their team will fare in the regular season.

I mean, just two days ago everybody was bashing Raymond Felton for sucking and then he puts up a point-assist double double.

These things happen, and if you seriously think our team is doomed or our players are awful just based on five preseason games then you need to learn a little bit about basketball and how the seasons generally play out.

Plus, you forget - the best we can expect from our team is to hover around .500 and maybe squeak in as the #8 seed. That's all. So...stop getting sand in your vagina just because Gallo and Randolph aren't scoring 20 points per game each yet.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I gotta agree with ABCD, the team looks about the same as before: Lee/Stat as a good power forward with no D (absolutely none, in Lee's case), surrounded by average talent.

If there's a serious upgrade, other than Stat, someone enlighten me.

As for ABCD's thread, it's just fun to predict the season's outcome and then find out if you were right.

The only difference between this and threads predicting 45 wins is positivity vs. negativity: the use of the available data to predict either wins or losses, so far ahead of the season's middle or end, is of similar quality.

If you get on ABCD's case for this thread, you have to do the same to those who post extremely optimistic ones.

Come on man...

Felton is a huge upgrade over Duhon. Yes, his stats in Charlotte were underwhelming but he played in a sluggish low scoring system under Larry Brown. His defense is better, his shot selection is better, his turnover ratio is better and his LEADERSHIP is light years better. Felton comes from a winning predigree in both highschool and college. He also has playoff experience which is vey valuable. (added to Amare's vast experience in the post season against some of the NBA's elite teams)

Mozgov is a legit young 7 foot center who can stroke a midrange jumper, block shots and run the floor. This guy is a jewel and will only get better as he matures. I'm sure he can become a very capable rebounder as well. He also allows Amare to play PF which is a tremendous plus.

Further, TD is looking like he is really stepping up and I HOPE Gallo takes another step forward. Chandler's shot is looking good and Amare's intensity and work ethic should rub off on him.

Think what you want about D'ant but we acquired a bunch of players who can play his system while retaining the Knicks who already could. That is a huge factor since D'ant's system is predicated on certain types of players. Dan't has them playing great team defense as well! I am optimistic about this team moving forward while also being glad Walsh did such a good job retaining flexibility and reasonable contracts in case we need to make adjustment s along the way. This is not the time to be pessimistic and certainly not the time to claim this team "sucks".

P.S. I will admit that I was wrong last year when I stated that Amare was not that big of an upgrade over Lee. He is light years beyond Lee when it comes to impact points, leadership and intensity. Amare draws fouls whenever he wants which allows us to control the game and put the defense in foul trouble. Oh, and his ability to block shots is not to shabby either.

p0nder

Starter
This team will struggle in the beginning. If you didn't know that and expected the team to be playing great from the beginning, then it's your own fault for being disappointed. Plus, a realistic expectation for this team is aound .500 and getting the 7th or 8th seed. Any higher expectation is just foolish.

If we are at .500 after 20 games, we are in good shape.

*favorites this thread for later*

Yes, thank you, reasonable expectations from our current roster. We will struggle the first 5-10 games, which should turn around the more comfortable our young squad becomes.

The preseason has been disappointing, especially with gallo and randolph not really showing up. However both of these young players are known to step up to the big games and I expect that every single home game they will be among the top 4 players on the court.

there will be no excuses this season however. This year we must compete, we must get into the playoffs. Accountability is something Gallo has not had to deal with yet in the NBA, we'll see how the young guys react.

frasee

Rookie
I can more or less agree with the statement that the Knicks don't play their best basketball at the moment. But it's normal that teams go through times like this now and then. As already mentioned, there's nothing big lost so far so there's hope that they will improve in the more important games.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

I have. I favorited the ridiculous threads at the beginning of last year and brought them back out at the end. Many people were unhappy with that.

I will do the same with this one (unless we get Melo). I was right then and I am confident I will be right again. We are a .500 team and a 7th or 8th seed.

I do find it funny however, that last year the D'Antoni haters used their unrealistic expectations (playoffs) of the team as reason for their hate. Now their expectations are below what they expected last year. Haters will hate I guess. Or maybe it's just a terrible misjudgement of talent?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I have. I favorited the ridiculous threads at the beginning of last year and brought them back out at the end. Many people were unhappy with that.

I will do the same with this one (unless we get Melo). I was right then and I am confident I will be right again. We are a .500 team and a 7th or 8th seed.

I do find it funny however, that last year the D'Antoni haters used their unrealistic expectations (playoffs) of the team as reason for their hate. Now their expectations are below what they expected last year. Haters will hate I guess. Or maybe it's just a terrible misjudgement of talent?

Great point! Last year the D'ant haters jumped up and down screaming that D'ant was a terrible coach and was the reason we had such a poor record, inferring that our roster was good enough for a playoff run if it weren't for the evil mustache wearing man! Now when we clearly have a much better roster we are not playoff bound because well...our improved roster isn't good enough and Walsh didn't land Lebron. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:barf:

If the coach doesn't coach to the players strengh then they will most likely suck. He needs to stop forcing players to do what they can't. Using your big men to shoot inconsistant jumpers is a scary sight. The last 2 Knick wins came from TD and his hustling on both sides of the ball, not D'Antonio coaching.

On another note...
I don't know how closely ppl are watching this team, but I think Douglas, Chandler, Felton, Stat, Turiaf play very well together. I wouldn't say thats a playoff lineup, but if you add mello, fields and Moz to the rotation...we will make some noise 4sure.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
The last 2 Knick wins came from TD and his hustling on both sides of the ball, not D'Antonio coaching.

I can only speak for last nights game but I think last nights win was a result of felton getting the ball around ( even tho he had a bad night shooting ) Amare playing A ball and consistant defense for the most part on a team level and players making shots on a team level. No doubt Toney Douglas was on fire on both ends of the floor but to only credit him for the win is wrong IMO

The last 2 Knick wins came from TD and his hustling on both sides of the ball, not D'Antonio coaching.

I can only speak for last nights game but I think last nights win was a result of felton getting the ball around ( even tho he had a bad night shooting ) Amare playing A ball and consistant defense for the most part on a team level and players making shots on a team level. No doubt Toney Douglas was on fire on both ends of the floor but to only credit him for the win is wrong IMO

The game was heading to another 4<SUP>th</SUP> quarter collapse. NJ was playing for keeps and it was rightly so that Stat stayed in the game to help seal the victory. In the last 2 games, it was pretty even down the stretch, but it was the play of Douglas towards the end of both games that made the difference...no, he did not do it all by himself. Nevertheless, he is showing some clutch time abilities. I still feel we need another big time player to get us to the playoffs. I already see and know what our guys can and can not do?some may not thou, so they will probably rely on their blind optimism. We can definitely improve in key areas, and fortunately, we now have that opportunity to do so?I can only hope they don?t blow it this time.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

I'm sure the drastic improvement of our team defense has something to do with coaching. I also can only assume it was D'ant who put TD in the game...

iSaYughh

Starter
Lol.

When the players play well and perform up to your standard of play it is simply because of them (and likely in spite of D'ant).

When the players play poorly and perform like you don't want, it is because of D'ant's whack coaching,

At least the true colors of anti-d'ant/gallo haters are blooming these days.

KingCharles34

All Star
I personally think that defense is something that the players will have to take upon themselves to get better at...and some of them will.

I dont think that defense is D'antonis strength, or the strength of his teams. Theres alot more facts that would lead me to believe hes much better at coaching offense then defense.

Trillion...we'll have to see how many minutes Douglas gets during the season. I hope he gets alotta PT. But Antonis defensive coaching knowledge/skills, and who he plays in the rotation are still 2 different things. Felton and Douglas are two naturally defensive minded guards and they might have to get on the others players cases but none of us can say any of this as a fact, we don't know everything that Antoni teaches. Im led to believe by some facts that defense is a weakness of his teams, but at the same time i do take inflation into consideration.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I personally think that defense is something that the players will have to take upon themselves to get better at...and some of them will.

I dont think that defense is D'antonis strength, or the strength of his teams. Theres alot more facts that would lead me to believe hes much better at coaching offense then defense.

Trillion...we'll have to see how many minutes Douglas gets during the season. I hope he gets alotta PT. But Antonis defensive coaching knowledge/skills, and who he plays in the rotation are still 2 different things. Felton and Douglas are two naturally defensive minded guards and they might have to get on the others players cases but none of us can say any of this as a fact, we don't know everything that Antoni teaches. Im led to believe by some facts that defense is a weakness of his teams, but at the same time i do take inflation into consideration.

But if you have been watching games you would know a lot what he coaches since they have like 4 segments of "mic'ed up" a game where we hear and see exactly what he is saying about defense. I would actually go one step further and state that defense is predominantly what I her him talking about in huddles, at half time and during time outs.

The Suns were weak with defense under D'ant and still stayed weak after. The team gave up a ton of points and shot a league leading amount of 3's just last year because of their roster. The first two season of D'ant as Knicks coach were weak because our players were weak. A coach can't make weak defenders good defenders.

Now we have some decent defenders and it is showing divdends. Our team defense has been harassing and stifling at times and should get better.

KingCharles34

All Star
But if you have been watching games you would know a lot what he coaches since they have like 4 segments of "mic'ed up" a game where we hear and see exactly what he is saying about defense. I would actually go one step further and state that defense is predominantly what I her him talking about in huddles, at half time and during time outs.

The Suns were weak with defense under D'ant and still stayed weak after. The team gave up a ton of points and shot a league leading amount of 3's just last year because of their roster. The first two season of D'ant as Knicks coach were weak because our players were weak. A coach can't make weak defenders good defenders.

Now we have some decent defenders and it is showing divdends. Our team defense has been harassing and stifling at times and should get better.

Well to be honest i have caught parts of the games, its been distracting with the Yankees in the playoffs...which is a distraction that will hopefully continue but its not looking good. Thats good though that antoni is talking about defense, i might have to start spelling his name the right way with a D at the beginning of it. At the end of the day i think defense is really an individual thing before a team thing, u have to have individuals that are want to play defense and then you can have a whole team that plays defense together. We might just finally have the right group of players now. Even if Dantoni is talking about defense more, im assuming hes saying things like "Get back on D faster Curry" or "stay in front of your man cock." I dont know this as a fact but i would assume someone like Van Gundy or Tom Thibadgdahgui has a far superior knowledge of defense then D'antoni does. So I do believe in some instances that a coach can make a weak defender a good defender or at least a better defender. Eddie House became a tough little defender when he played in Bumston. But all this might end up not mattering, if we win games this year no one will care about "the coaches weaknesses" or "this players weaknesses". We'll just have to wait and see how we do

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Well to be honest i have caught parts of the games, its been distracting with the Yankees in the playoffs...which is a distraction that will hopefully continue but its not looking good. Thats good though that antoni is talking about defense, i might have to start spelling his name the right way with a D at the beginning of it. At the end of the day i think defense is really an individual thing before a team thing, u have to have individuals that are want to play defense and then you can have a whole team that plays defense together. We might just finally have the right group of players now. Even if Dantoni is talking about defense more, im assuming hes saying things like "Get back on D faster Curry" or "stay in front of your man cock." I dont know this as a fact but i would assume someone like Van Gundy or Tom Thibadgdahgui has a far superior knowledge of defense then D'antoni does. So I do believe in some instances that a coach can make a weak defender a good defender or at least a better defender. Eddie House became a tough little defender when he played in Bumston. But all this might end up not mattering, if we win games this year no one will care about "the coaches weaknesses" or "this players weaknesses". We'll just have to wait and see how we do

Well, he does draw up defensive plays, calls for doubles, calls for switches and preaches it so it's more then you suggest. Can we agree that D'ant understands the importance of defense even if he is an offensive specialist? If you can agree to that then you would have to assume that D'antoni has had enough experience with the game of basketball to learn the nuances of defense.