The Nets Got Deron Williams

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

Apparently that's his stance. So funny, Prokhorov has to trade for dudes and then convince them to stick with his toilet of a team. HA!

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The best thing the Nets can do is trade him by the deadline next year, I dont see him signing an extension there
From what I have red, he has already stated that he will not sign an extension but, in my opinion, that will depend on what the new CBA looks like and what the financial state of all the relevant teams will be when his contract is up. If the new CBA comes out and the cap ceiling is lowered, but the max salaries and current salaries are not lowered to match then all the contenders will be capped out and unable to sign him outright and NJ will be in a sign and trade situation... I think it would be fair to say they will play the toughest with NY so.... I see Williams in that scenario resigning with NJ just to guarantee his $$$$.

mafra

Legend
I think it was very sweet of the Russian, and his Nyets, to go through all that trouble to bring Deron to the Tri-State area. Now, Deron can move his amily to NY, get comfortable, settle in... He can get accustomed to the good living, find the right school for his kids, a movie theater and some good restaurants.

This way... after the 2011 season, it wont be such a drastic change of lifestyle when Williams signs with the Knicks. Heck, it makes it easier actually... b/c he's already here!

alg_deron-carmelo.jpg

NOTICE: Melo's smile is ear-to-ear... Deron can hardly muster a grin.

"I can't really give assurance, I can't say I'll be there," Williams said. "It all depends on how next year goes and the type of people they bring into the organization."

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
From what I have red, he has already stated that he will not sign an extension but, in my opinion, that will depend on what the new CBA looks like and what the financial state of all the relevant teams will be when his contract is up. If the new CBA comes out and the cap ceiling is lowered, but the max salaries and current salaries are not lowered to match then all the contenders will be capped out and unable to sign him outright and NJ will be in a sign and trade situation... I think it would be fair to say they will play the toughest with NY so.... I see Williams in that scenario resigning with NJ just to guarantee his $$$$.

I don't see the CBA lowering the cap but keeping max salaries. That would screw over the big market teams, and frankly the NBA needs the big market teams to do well to have even a chance at remaining competitive...if anything they might create a hard cap but RAISE the hard cap (ie instead of a soft cap of 58 million make a hard cap of 70 million) and lower max salaries a bit...

The thing is, they can't even lower the max salaries that much. There's no way the league is going to get away with lowering max salaries when the best NBA player is making 10 million dollars less than the highest paid MLB player.

STAT1

Starter

D Will can't sign an extension this summer anyway without a CBA in place. Once the CBA is negotiated I don't see what would stop him from leaving NJ for a better team. NY will be a longshot I don't think we'll have the cap space to sign him & NJ would definitely not be willing to work any trades with us for what we have left to offer. For some reason I have a feeling Orlando will make a strong play for him next year to try & keep Dwight there. A D Will & Dwight combo would be devastations in the WC.

Mike2686

Rookie
I don't see him staying with the Nets. Why would he? IF CP3 doesn't come, then Williams will be in a Knicks jersey as soon as his contract is up. Sure he's playing hard for them because he is a competitor, but he doesn't look even remotely happy.

It's gonna be sick.

Bench will also be deep and loaded with talent.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I still think the Jazz traded him to NJ solely out of spite.

What better way to torment a man who's lived in safe Utah for his entire life than to send him to Newark, NJ?

Case in point:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4U7kuqow3gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STAT1

Starter
I still think the Jazz traded him to NJ solely out of spite.

I think if they only wanted to spite him they would have dealt him to the Cavs or T'Wolves. The Jazz got back a great package for a player they knew they would lose anyway after next summer & spared themselves the whole drama that the Nuggets, Cavs, Suns & Raptors fans went through the past 2 years. I think they made a good move, they're now set up with a lot of cap flexibility & plenty of young assets & picks to rebuild with going forward. They weren't going to win anything w/the team Deron had around him anyway, & not likely to attract any bigtime free agents anytime soon when you play in Utah.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Cavs or T'Wolves could've happened but the Cavs have no assets and the T-Wolves aren't interested in trading Kevin Love who's their only asset.

I figured the Jazz weren't really that interested in getting the best possible deal out of him because the deal basically happened in a day...

STAT1

Starter
Cavs or T'Wolves could've happened but the Cavs have no assets and the T-Wolves aren't interested in trading Kevin Love who's their only asset.

I figured the Jazz weren't really that interested in getting the best possible deal out of him because the deal basically happened in a day...

The Cavs have a huge trade exception they could have offered along w/their lottery picks & the picks they got from Miami this summer, but they obviously wouldn't have given up those assets for a player who would likely walk after next year anyway. I think the Jazz got the best deal they could under the circumstances. No other team had better picks to offer them that would actually have a shot of retaining Deron past next season. Now it's up to NJ to get another superstar piece to keep him there, & that player better be LEGIT, & not some someone like Zach Randolph, etc. NJ still has 3 1st rd picks along with Brooke Lopez so maybe they have a shot at getting something done. If they could somehow manage to get Dwight Howard to join them for their move to Brooklyn, that team would be a nightmare matchup in the postseason next year (personally I think it's more likely that Deron will end up joining Dwight in Orlando if anything, that is if he doesn't go join Kobe in LA)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think Deron wants to be a Knick and Howard wants to be a Laker...

Nobody really wants to go to NJ LOL. Think about it. I'm sure we all have pipe dreams of playing basketball (ie imagine if I were a Knicks player, etc.).

Nobody ever dreams of playing for the Nets LOL.

STAT1

Starter
Yeah I think Deron is likely to leave NJ too. Dunno if the Knicks can get him though, we're not likely gonna have the cap space to sign him even if we buy out Chauncey & NJ is definitely not gonna trade him to us.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Yeah I think Deron is likely to leave NJ too. Dunno if the Knicks can get him though, we're not likely gonna have the cap space to sign him even if we buy out Chauncey & NJ is definitely not gonna trade him to us.

Unless Deron plays the "either trade me to the Knicks or I'm walking" game. And this time, the Nets will not have any leverage like a new CBA that Denver had.

STAT1

Starter
Unless Deron plays the "either trade me to the Knicks or I'm walking" game. And this time, the Nets will not have any leverage like a new CBA that Denver had.

I honestly think Prokhorov would rather see Deron walk than be forced to trade him to the Knicks for a bag of peanuts & an expiring contract, especially after the price he had to pay to get him to begin with. That would just add insult to injury.