The Official "MeloDrama" Thread Feb 18th - Feb 24th

knicksin60

Starter
If the Nuggets really want two number one picks from the Nets, why can't they just trade Carmelo Anthony for Eddy Curry and trade Curry to the Nets? After all, Eddy Curry was the same player that gave the Bulls two first round picks a few years ago.

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
i really dont care who the nets gets from us... clearly... if i was going into the playoffs this and maybe next year....

amare, melo and billups are still the three best players of those that are getting traded

That's pretty much it, the Knicks are going to end up with the best team out of the 3 teams involved by a wide margin.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
At this point, I understand why Denver wants Mozgov. It all makes sense now. They get the Nets picks they want, Prokhorov gets his russian player, Knicks get Melo and keep Landry Fields and their picks. I'm done. Pull the trigger!

Billups/TD
Fields/Walker/Azu
Melo/Williams
STAT
Turiaf

We have an 8-man rotation anyway. And there's a difference between emptying your roster or emptying it with two first round picks for the next year on the pocket.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
:agreed: ^^^^

According to an anonymous source, Isiah Thomas has been secretly whispering in the ear of Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov in his latest attempt to get a job as the Nets' consultant.

If this rumor is true, I think Eddy Curry has a very good chance of being acquired by the Nets from Denver for two #1 picks.

STAT1

Starter
If the Nuggets really want two number one picks from the Nets, why can't they just trade Carmelo Anthony for Eddy Curry and trade Curry to the Nets? After all, Eddy Curry was the same player that gave the Bulls two first round picks a few years ago.

I'm assuming you're joking about Curry. At least I hope you are.

In regards to trading 2 picks to Denver to get Melo, it's not that simple. The Nuggets are getting a lot more than that in this deal. Basically what they'll eventually end up with after they make the trades with the Knicks & Nets is 1 or 2 players out of Chandler/Gallo/Felton, 2 lottery 1st round picks, a late 1st round pick from the Knicks, along with Corey Brewer & possibly Devin Harris in exchange for Melo, Billups & filler. They also will get at least $20 million dollars worth of savings by going this route. There's no way the Knicks could have matched that type of return on their own.

skisloper

Starter
At this point, I understand why Denver wants Mozgov. It all makes sense now. They get the Nets picks they want, Prokhorov gets his russian player, Knicks get Melo and keep Landry Fields and their picks. I'm done. Pull the trigger!

Billups/TD
Fields/Walker/Azu
Melo/Williams
STAT
Turiaf

We have an 8-man rotation anyway. And there's a difference between emptying your roster or emptying it with two first round picks for the next year on the pocket.

Why throw in Mozgov. There is absolutely no reason to add him to the Denver mix. Do not look at like we do not need him....View him as 7 foot bigman who is 22 years old and has a future and can be a tradable asset for someone else.

Look if the Nets want him then trade him to the Nets for someone.....

Just dont waste him when there is no reason...

Negotiate with strength,

Toons

is the Bo$$
this would be an amazing year if we are able to get melo as in a team upgrade.

in one year, we went from

chris duhon/douglas
wilson chandler/n8 robinson
danilo gallinari/walker/tmac
al harrington/
david lee/bender

to

chauncy billups/douglas
landry fields (our lottery pick)/azubuike
carmelo anthony/williams
amare stoudemire/turiaf
earl barron/

Haha sounds like George Karl prefers our offer while Denver's front office likes the Nets' offer. Wasn't too worried bout the Nets stealing Melo from us anyway, but I think now Denver almost has to trade with us if they plan on keeping Karl around..maybe we should take out a player or two and see if he still likes it..

la2ny

Starter
melo042407--430x180.jpg

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I don't think Moz is in the deal guys. I just can't see Donnie trading away his Rik Smits.. We have some tangible leverage here and I think Donnie will milk it for all it's worth. God bless the Knicks.

STAT1

Starter
Haha sounds like George Karl prefers our offer while Denver's front office likes the Nets' offer. Wasn't too worried bout the Nets stealing Melo from us anyway, but I think now Denver almost has to trade with us if they plan on keeping Karl around..maybe we should take out a player or two and see if he still likes it..

Understandable that a coach won't want to be left with a team devoid of any talent. At least Felton, Gallo & Wilson will give coach Karl 3 solid players he could implement into his rotation right now. Draft picks do nothing for a coach nearing the end of his coaching career, why would a proven coach like him want to stick around through another rebuilding phase that might last for 5 years or more before they can field a competitive team again?

tiger0330

Legend
I agree, the more I look at this trade the more convinced I am that NY needs to take a hard line on giving in to Denver.

The Nets deal is not that good, Harris is over rated, Favors is hardly playing like a ROY candidate.

Those 4 picks are:
(1) The 2011 Nets' pick
(2) The 2011 Lakers' pick
(3) The 2012 Rockets' (lottery-protected).
(4) The 2012 GSW conditional (top-8) protected pick

The best pick is this years Nets pick in a weak draft and the odds are low that any of the picks will convert to a # 1.

We are getting played, our offer to me is clearly better the way it stands without groveling and adding Moz or Fields and whoever else they may want.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
League offices closed today so the deal cant be completed until tomorrow at the earliest.

I read Fisola say on Twitter that Donnie stayed after at the practice facility, usually leaves at 6:00.

Could this deal go down tonight? I'm thinking it gets done much sooner than later with Denver having to make many other deals and move many other guys (Nene, J.R.)

If not tonight, I believe tomorrow. Will Moz be included in the deal? We'll soon find out...

Word is, George Karl wants the Knicks deal- and is pushing for it to happen.

Soon Knicks fans. This will all be over very soon.
Source: Karl wants Knicks deal

1284766265.png
By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
As the Carmelo Anthony(notes) negotiations dragged on another day, Denver Nuggets coach George Karl is pushing team officials to make the trade with the New York Knicks because it would better position the Nuggets to still contend for a playoff spot this season, league sources with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports.
More From Yahoo! Sports Staff

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke and general manager Masai Ujiri would prefer to send Anthony to the New Jersey Nets in return for a package that includes rookie forward Derrick Favors(notes) and four first-round picks, but Anthony hasn’t committed to signing a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the Nets. Karl doesn’t have a contract for next season, so it’s uncertain how much influence he has in the negotiations.
Kroenke requested on Saturday that the Knicks also include center Timofey Mozgov(notes) in their trade package, but New York has so far resisted, a source said. Though the Knicks released a statement on Sunday saying president Donnie Walsh and coach Mike D’Antoni are in agreement with owner James Dolan on how the team has proceeded in the negotiations, sources continued to insist that Walsh and D’Antoni are uncomfortable with how much the Knicks could part with for Anthony.
The Knicks’ current proposal would send Danilo Gallinari(notes), Raymond Felton(notes), Wilson Chandler(notes) and the Knicks’ 2014 first-round pick to Denver. The Knicks would also trade Anthony Randolph(notes) and Eddy Curry’s(notes) expiring contract to the Minnesota Timberwolves, who would send Corey Brewer(notes) to the Nuggets. The Knicks would receive Anthony, Chauncey Billups(notes), Shelden Williams(notes) and Renaldo Balkman(notes).

Stat4mvp

Benchwarmer
Carmelo is going to be Conan tonight...what are the chances he makes a surprise announcement? I mean why else would he be on Conan the night before a game that is taking place a thousand miles away unless he knows he isn't playing? It would totally blow "the decision" out of the water, since the decision was expected and Carmelo's announcement wouldn't be. And Amare is going to be on Lopez Tonight right after Conan in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Carmelo is going to be Conan tonight...what are the chances he makes a surprise announcement? I mean why else would he be on Conan the night before a game that is taking place a thousand miles away unless he knows he isn't playing? It would totally blow "the decision" out of the water, since the decision was expected and Carmelo's announcement wouldn't be. And Amare is going to be on Lopez Tonight right after Conan in case anyone is interested.

Doubt it. That would be really sick, but I doubt it.