The problem isn't in Gallinari

metrocard

Legend
But Metro, have you seen anything different from this year and last year? It's as if the same trend continues to happen. We have a team of strong physical players that are very effective when they post up, drive, and draw fouls, BUT instead we play Mike D's system which is to find the open man outside. When we make the shots we instantly win but usually we miss most of the shots which is why we are ranked 23rd in 3 point shooting. We can go 0 for 30 from 3 and still continue to shoot them, just like last year.

Just like last year, we would have moments with hustle and good defense, then we would lay some eggs and not hustle and not play interior defense like we did last night

And the most sickening thing about nothing changing is our offensive plays in the 4th quarter during close games.

Why did we pass the ball to Wilson Chandler who has two guys in his face for a three when he is not even a consistent three point shooter. Why didn't Amare shoot it when he just sank a three to put the game to 1 point deficit? Why did Gallo throw up a brick with 20 seconds left on the clock? Horrible shot selection continues to haunt this team and the problem is that nothing has changed.

It is the same Mike D type of basketball. He is forcing these players to play his style when it just is not working. We don't have sharp shooters and we are not using the pick and roll which is a HUGE part of Amare's success. So all of this tells me it is on the coach. And when the problems are on the coach, then we are going nowhere.

Dude.
Stop.
This year
has only be.
10 games.
Last year
is 82.

Relax.

You guys are way too early with this.
Seriously.

abcd, Kevin Love is shooting 40% from the FG...you think he'll shoot their all season? Darko is shooting 25% from the FG...its only ten games.

NBA is a streaky league.

The season doesn't end in 10 games.

Paul1355

All Star
No confidence? Gallo said he couldn't be at the level of Lebron. He said he thinks he can play at the level of Dirk. How is that not confident? Dirk is a star. How is comparing yourself to Dirk a bad thing????? Please tell me. Dirk is a future HOF, and your saying that's a bad thing?
from what I read Gallo said that he won't be on the level of Dirk, at best right under him and will never be a super star.

So unless i read that wrong that tells me someone who does not have confidence in himself.

Paul1355

All Star
Dude.
Stop.
This year
has only be.
10 games.
Last year
is 82.

Relax.

You guys are way too early with this.
Seriously.

abcd, Kevin Love is shooting 40% from the FG...you think he'll shoot their all season? Darko is shooting 25% from the FG...its only ten games.

NBA is a streaky league.

The season doesn't end in 10 games.
Metro, if we lose the next three games of this road trip, you can make the case that we are sunk from the playoffs since climbing back is the hardest thing to do.

If lose the next three road games, we will be 3-11 with a pissed off crowd of fans that would be chanting for Mike D to be fired.
The odds of making the playoffs are very very dim if this happens.

Even Clyde Frazier said during the Rockets game I believe, "Mike D is saying that we shouldn't panic, but it is getting very close to that point"

Any long losing streak will be met with heavy scrutiny and the question will always be: is this the end of the Mike D coaching era in NY?

Too much pressure and this team is not making adjustments, as Stephon marbury said recently "It's only a matter of time"

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
from what I read Gallo said that he won't be on the level of Dirk, at best right under him and will never be a super star.

So unless i read that wrong that tells me someone who does not have confidence in himself.

Just as well. Gallo has talent but saying he thinks he could be as good as Dirk would get him a ton of hate from throughout the league.

He knows his place. He's not going to set himself up for failure by claiming he's the next NBA superstar. He's going to work hard and let his game do the talking.

I actually liked what i saw from Gallo vs the Nuggets, he was aggressive looking for his own shot made some plays happen and got to the line frequently. all that went wrong was his shot didn't fall but if last year told us anything the kid can stroke it.

Also he had a 20/10 on a bad shooting night but i liked that he finally took more than 8-10shots i think 12-14 is where we want him at and maybe he will be more productive.

metrocard

Legend
Lol at the Gallo hate just goin on n on.

If every player was treated like most of KO likes to view Gallo, 90% of NBA players would be cut or heaved into the trash bin before their 3rd season.

Viewing him like some 28yr old journeyman, with no pedigree, and modest skillsets and ceiling. Smh.

He was trashed last yr too by the same people, despite putting up a positively trending 15-5 campaign in his first legit season as a 21yr old.

Maybe he does suck and will flame out. But 90% of people calling for his head are just thrashing at him from the dark.

This mentality is the worst of NYC and it's sports. And why so many NYC franchises never rebuild right and go thru periods of whack ass signings and the like.

He's isnt hurting our team anyways, even if he will be nothing, so the "risk" in playing him is very low. We aren't some cutthroat contender gunning for that title this year. Chandler, fields are making huge strides in tandem and getting quality minutes, etc.

Newsflash: if Gallo just did these simple things his detractors want and expect him to just do...

HE'D BE AN ALLSTAR RIGHT NOW

Sometimes unique high-ceiling players take into their 22nd year to become stalwart star players.

Lenin said: one step backward, two forward.

Seeing that with gallo now. Driving and slashing more. Nailing free throws. Rebounding and passing better and more.

Now his natural "bread and butter", shooting, needs to get back into the front seat to go along with this.

I don't have much faith in D'ant (seems flawed and not a well rounded in-game coach), but Gallo is going to be a revelation.

Well said.

Metro, if we lose the next three games of this road trip, you can make the case that we are sunk from the playoffs since climbing back is the hardest thing to do.

If lose the next three road games, we will be 3-11 with a pissed off crowd of fans that would be chanting for Mike D to be fired.
The odds of making the playoffs are very very dim if this happens.

Even Clyde Frazier said during the Rockets game I believe, "Mike D is saying that we shouldn't panic, but it is getting very close to that point"

Any long losing streak will be met with heavy scrutiny and the question will always be: is this the end of the Mike D coaching era in NY?

Too much pressure and this team is not making adjustments, as Stephon marbury said recently "It's only a matter of time"

If.
We'll see if lose.
I believe we can go on a 3 game win streak on this West Coast Swing.
Lets hope.

Gallo's preformance vs GS wasn't bad. 20/10...he missed a lot of threes that he'll normally make, but he was aggressive that game and wasn't just a spot up shooter.

as for Mike D being fired I'm not against it.

but whats the solution?

Firing him won't be the answer.
Because theres a lot of bad coaches out there. Mike D isn't a bad coach, he's just not working well these players. It happens all the time. Coaches change teams, doesn't make them bad....unless your Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson....or the immortal Lawrence Frank.

KBlack25

Starter
It's really easy to go and blame Gallo, but last night nobody...

Not TD.
Not Wil.

NOBODY! was hitting outside jumpers. Gallo is easy to pile on to, b/c of his draft position and alleged favoritism. But he's one guy on a 12 man roster that, as a whole, is playing poorly right now.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo as a "problem"

In at least one respect, Gallo is the "problem." If he were making his shots as he did last year, we would have won at least a couple of more games.

Gallo is limited by his lack of athleticism and strength. He is only 22, so he is likely to get stronger. But Gallo has the talent to be a very valuable part of a winning team -- whether or not he is teacher's pet..

He is missing too many open shots. Clyde suggests that he is "aiming," rather than shooting in his natural rhythm. Something is plainly wrong, but in time it is likely to be fixed. He also has to practice shooting on the move, At least last year he spotted up well. This year he is driving more and at least picking up fouls. But his "moving" or mid-range shots, either fading away or floating, are dreadful.

As a totally unrelated point, Landry Fields has been a revelation. I wish Gallo had his athleticism and Chandler had his court sense. He is extraordinarily efficient. We got very lucky that team draft "experts" paid him no heed.

metrocard

Legend
In at least one respect, Gallo is the "problem." If he were making his shots as he did last year, we would have won at least a couple of more games.

Gallo is limited by his lack of athleticism and strength. He is only 22, so he is likely to get stronger. But Gallo has the talent to be a very valuable part of a winning team -- whether or not he is teacher's pet..

He is missing too many open shots. Clyde suggests that he is "aiming," rather than shooting in his natural rhythm. Something is plainly wrong, but in time it is likely to be fixed. He also has to practice shooting on the move, At least last year he spotted up well. This year he is driving more and at least picking up fouls. But his "moving" or mid-range shots, either fading away or floating, are dreadful.

As a totally unrelated point, Landry Fields has been a revelation. I wish Gallo had his athleticism and Chandler had his court sense. He is extraordinarily efficient. We got very lucky that team draft "experts" paid him no heed.

For a 6"10 player, Gallo is agile and has quick feet for his size. Thats a part of athleticism. He doesnt have an 80 inch vertical leap or the brute strength of a Nene...but he has his advantages, just like Nene has his weaknesses, and the guy with the 80 inch vertical leap has his weaknesses.

You're seeing the glass half empty, bro.

iSaYughh

Starter
Word. ^^100%. Metro has been spot on Gallo since talk of us drafting him. Back to his roots in Italian ball.

OldTimer and Co. need to watch reels of his slashing and driving...in Europe or NBA... if they get blinded to it when he does it in real-time.

Check the reel in the DEN game day thread; last play is a majestic, fluid, powerful slash by Gallo for a reverse layup & 1.

He's only going to get stronger and more NBA smart.

Gallo was never known for being just a dominant 6'10'' shooter. His slashing game, and well-rounded blend of rebounding-passing-defense was what he was known to be unique for.

Last year he proved he can be a dominant shooter with range. Lets be thankful we have the luxury of watching someone with such skills develop. If Gallo is traded for less than 100cents to the dollar it will be a travesty that'l haunt us. Frankly, i wouldn't trade him and id use the misconceptions and lack of respect he's getting to our advantage.

If a team like DEN wanted Fields vs Gallo we should celebrate in the streets. I like him, but we don't know his ceiling or who he can and likely will be. Yet he's become instantly beloved. Gallo was instantly hated.

Other sport comparisons are usually weak...but this mentality is why so many esteemed YOUNG NY athletes and prospects in baseball get shit canned, traded, misused. No patience, too reactionary.

Yankees and even Mets makeup for it with $$$$$. NBA doesn't give our Knicks that ace up the sleeve. We need to recognize talent, when it's here and when it isn't above all else. Put aside dislike for coach, euroball, etc.

And abuse rival teams in signings and deals and picks, with superior patience and understanding of our players.

metrocard

Legend
Gallo has slashing and passing ability and skills. Its well known amongst NBA scouts.

If he was just a spot up shooter, he wouldn't been drafted in the lottery.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Word. ^^100%. Metro has been spot on Gallo since talk of us drafting him. Back to his roots in Italian ball.

OldTimer and Co. need to watch reels of his slashing and driving...in Europe or NBA... if they get blinded to it when he does it in real-time.

Check the reel in the DEN game day thread; last play is a majestic, fluid, powerful slash by Gallo for a reverse layup & 1.

He's only going to get stronger and more NBA smart.

Gallo was never known for being just a dominant 6'10'' shooter. His slashing game, and well-rounded blend of rebounding-passing-defense was what he was known to be unique for.

Last year he proved he can be a dominant shooter with range. Lets be thankful we have the luxury of watching someone with such skills develop. If Gallo is traded for less than 100cents to the dollar it will be a travesty that'l haunt us. Frankly, i wouldn't trade him and id use the misconceptions and lack of respect he's getting to our advantage.

If a team like DEN wanted Fields vs Gallo we should celebrate in the streets. I like him, but we don't know his ceiling or who he can and likely will be. Yet he's become instantly beloved. Gallo was instantly hated.

Other sport comparisons are usually weak...but this mentality is why so many esteemed YOUNG NY athletes and prospects in baseball get shit canned, traded, misused. No patience, too reactionary.

Yankees and even Mets makeup for it with $$$$$. NBA doesn't give our Knicks that ace up the sleeve. We need to recognize talent, when it's here and when it isn't above all else. Put aside dislike for coach, euroball, etc.

And abuse rival teams in signings and deals and picks, with superior patience and understanding of our players.

I hope Denver is listening to you and Metro, perhaps I can sell them a bridge as well :).

Toons

is the Bo$$
Gallo will become better....he tweaked his shooting wrist earlier, obviously he's feeling better and is losing fear in going in the lane with the wrist

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo

Although I have been somewhat critical recently, I prefer the company of Metro, ISayugh and Ronorania with respect to Gallo's potential. I like him and expect that he will get much better. I was, however, disappointed that he spent so much time in Milan during the offseason and came back in the apparent same physical condition as he left, I was expecting some physical growth through weight training.

I recall that when he was drafted, or shortly thereafter, Greg Brittenham commented that Gallo had a frame that would permit substantial muscular weight gain. Gallo does not mix it up enough under the boards, but he is not afraid of contact as reflected in the fouls he takes. Even Clyde was concerned that he would get hurt absorbing the blows of defenders jumping into him. He is willing to get hit, but he is not strong enough to move others when the bodies collide.

His driving has been impressive this year, but he has to work on his "on the move" shooting. Notice how rarely he gets an "and one" three pointer. He seems to have the worst luck with balls bouncing around the rim.

Although Carmelo has phenomenal offensive skills, I do not want him. He will not fit well with Amar'e. We need a Chris Paul type PG before we need Melo. I would love to see Gallo's performance with the likes of Paul or Deron Williams directing traffic

GALLO IS NOT BETTER THAN MELLO..

are you guys related or something????

gallo is not the problem... the coach is.. but he still not better than mello.. not even close

Calm down
All these Melo supporters need to calm down the guy is only a scorer that is it. Remember the year he had another scorer with him AI and they failed but they avg about 55pts together. Melo is the best player on his team no doubt but he has never been a true leader or a guy that makes others better. every year he made the playoffs he had a veteran big man and a veteran PG. The knicks have no real Big man and Felton is still inexperienced as far as things like playoffs go.
Really trading for melo won't help us much but win a few more games it won't get us over the hump that is Chicago LA Boston Orlando Miami.

Melo is not the Messiah that will lead us to the promise land.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Gallo doesn't look like he gained too much muscle because he spent the summer working not so much on weights but if I recall he spent it mostly working on his core (to prevent another back injury) and on his agility. The core muscles don't necessarily make one look more muscular (at least not without taking off a shirt), so that might be why. I'd agree that for him, getting stronger abs to strengthen the core and working on agility and explosiveness (and it seems to be paying off, he's taking the ball to the rim pretty well this season) are more important than just getting a bit bigger - after all, he still has time to do that.

moneyg

Starter
Calm down
All these Melo supporters need to calm down the guy is only a scorer that is it. Remember the year he had another scorer with him AI and they failed but they avg about 55pts together. Melo is the best player on his team no doubt but he has never been a true leader or a guy that makes others better. every year he made the playoffs he had a veteran big man and a veteran PG. The knicks have no real Big man and Felton is still inexperienced as far as things like playoffs go.
Really trading for melo won't help us much but win a few more games it won't get us over the hump that is Chicago LA Boston Orlando Miami.

Melo is not the Messiah that will lead us to the promise land.

excuse me my man.... im more of a basketball realist than a melo fan... im not in agreement to trade all of our assets for him.. no way.. but comparing gallo to mello is delusional...

melo can overpower most small forward inthe league and can post. has a mid range game .. and is clutch..

at the end of the game ....yeah gallo can hit an open three to seal a victory..but no way can u give him the ball and expect him to take his man one on one in the post or on the elbow or at the top of the key...and score every possesion down the floor..

my point is can gallo do this.. is he a go to guy.???? no he is just a decent complimenatry role player...

think about it...