TMAC deal "almost" finalized!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
It's LeBron or Bust! That's how I see it.

Walsh's plan for LeBron sounds familiar (Nelson proposed it in 1995)

In 1995, Nelson would begin his stint with the Knicks, which lasted from July 1995 until March 1996. Despite coaching the Knicks to a respectable 34-25 record, Nelson had many personal problems with the players: e.g., he tried to convince management to trade Patrick Ewing in order to be in a position to make an offer to rising free agent Shaquille O'Neal.

Coach Nelson only went wrong when he took Oakley out of the starting lineup and replaced him with Anthony Mason.....Mason was traded for (a season injury) Larry Johnson and Nelson was imediately Fired. Franchise Player Patrick Ewing doing....when Oakley was traded to Toronto the very next season Patrick Ewing demanded to be traded. If we would've kept Oakley then Ewing would've retired in New York

Kiyaman

Legend
To bad they did this when he lost his value and started the trend of taking on gigantic contracts. I wish the Knicks would have listened to Nelson

Shaq was not going to win any Championships without a great coach training-him how. And Nelson was not that coach...

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
How many of you really think LeBron is coming to NY? Because that is the only way this makes sense. I personally dont see it as a smart move for him, but i hope im wrong.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but it looks like this article is from 5:00 pm yesterday.

I do not think we any closer today then we were last night

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
dont agree

There's too many ifs there for me. I realize it gives us enough cap to sign 2 stud guys, but there is no guarantee any of them will come here. I don't even think they should come here if i were them. Bron doesn't gain much by living in NYC over Cle. He already has all the endorsement deals he could possibly get. I don't see Wade coming here either, especially if he gets Bosh or Amare on the heat. So i fear we are going to do all this for Joe Johnson, who is nice, but not worth this risk. Im just a little surprised more people don't see this like i do.

I do not agree I have not seened him Push Duracell or any car manufacturers and what not. Lebron has not reached his marketing potential think Jordan times 5 in NYC. Madison Ave is salivationg at lebron coming to NYC.; whatever he gets in endorsements now will double or triple when he come to NYC believe that.........

Paul1355

All Star
Has to be done

some sources are also saying that Donnie is not trading Hill but Donnie has been focused on this 2010 plan and if trading Hill accomplishes that, Donnie will trade Hill.

We have a chance to be the #1 buyer in the free agency in 2010 if this move is made, we get T Mac who would be the 2nd best player next to David Lee, and we get rid of Jared Jeffries.

We can always get picks in future trades...i am bothered by trading Hill but this needs to be done.

Plus if we can save Harrington for Thomas that would be really good.

skisloper

Starter
Whether we get Lebron or not this will be the first time in a long time that the Knicks have more money to spend then all in the NBA.......Even though we as fans feel the Knicks are tainted others with a clearer eyes see this as the MECCA of BBALL...........

If throwing Hill in the deal gets it done how can anyone complain....the sooner it gets done the sooner we can forget that we did not draft Jennings...

Lee will not stay with the Knicks....I beleive the feeling is mutual amongst all involved...

Also remember next year Curry's contract comes off as well.....

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
This trade sounds very similar to the trade Isiah Thomas did to get Eddy Curry. Sure, McGrady is way better than Curry, and his contract expires this season, but I am not a fan of trading away potential lottery picks to a team that has consistently played playoff level basketball for the last 5 years. If the Knicks seriously swap their 2011 and 2012 picks and include Jordan Hill, they could potentially be giving away 3 lottery picks for an extra 9.5 million dollars in cap space. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
This trade sounds very similar to the trade Isiah Thomas did to get Eddy Curry. Sure, McGrady is way better than Curry, and his contract expires this season, but I am not a fan of trading away potential lottery picks to a team that has consistently played playoff level basketball for the last 5 years. If the Knicks seriously swap their 2011 and 2012 picks and include Jordan Hill, they could potentially be giving away 3 lottery picks for an extra 9.5 million dollars in cap space. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I completely agree and would add the Marbury trade to that equation. This is a huge gamble that has the potential for disaster. The only difference is the tangible benefit of additional cap room. We will need to see what is done with that additional money before anyone can say this was a good idea or not.

We've come this far abcd, don't give up now... We might as well go for broke on this LeBron thing.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
?We?d like McGrady and the cap relief,? one Knicks source said. ?But the Rockets are asking for too much. We?re willing to pay a premium to make a deal. But the price right now is still too high.?
According to the source, the Rockets are still looking for other partners. The Bulls have been mentioned as a possibility, however, sources believe that their offer is less attractive than the Knicks? ? even if the Knicks don?t give the Rockets everything they?re asking for
??
"Again, Walsh is holding firm and displaying patience. Let?s see how his play works."

Thank god Walsh is playing some hardball!

keyser soze

Benchwarmer

I totally understand where you are coming from, and at first, I felt exactly the way you did. But the more I think about this trade, the more it grows on me and more I want it to get done. Let me break down my thought process on this:

) If the Knicks make this trade, they are going to have 35 million dollars in cap space for this coming summer (2 million short of being able to sign two max players . . . they will come up with the extra 2 million through buying out Eddy Curry at the end of the season). The bottom line is, the Knicks are very likely to acquire two of the following: Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Dirk Nowitzki, Joe Johnson, Carlos Boozer, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rudy Gay, Michael Redd, Tracy Mcgrady. Obviously, some of these guys are much more desireable than others, but the bottom line is, it's hard to imagine a combination that doesn't directly lead to a playoff berth for the Knicks. So, if the Knicks are a playoff team, then the Rockets having the option to switch first round picks with them is very likely not that big of a deal. (and there is simply no guarantee how good the Rockets are going to be next season, as Yao could easily get hurta again) Also, if you think the Knicks are going to be a playoff team next year, then you would the hope the front office has enough competence to build on next year's team heading into 2012. Thus, you would fully expect the Knicks to be a playoff team in 2012. Obviously, there is always a chance that a key injury or unforseen issue derails the Knicks plans. But then again, there is always a chance that the Knicks would pick someone as inconsequential in the first round of 2012 as they did this past offseason.

mafra

Legend
Game of chicken. Still think Walsh would prefer to send Al to CHI for Tyrus, and I'm sure CHI would prefer AL to T-Mac.

Deal could go down by end of 1st quarter tonight on that front. THEN, after that.... HOU will have to "settle" for what DW's offers.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer

I totally understand where you are coming from, and at first, I felt exactly the way you did. But the more I think about this trade, the more it grows on me and more I want it to get done. Let me break down my thought process on this:

If the Knicks make this trade, they are going to have 35 million dollars in cap space for this coming summer (2 million short of being able to sign two max players . . . they will come up with the extra 2 million through buying out Eddy Curry at the end of the season). The bottom line is, the Knicks are very likely to acquire two of the following: Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Dirk Nowitzki, Joe Johnson, Carlos Boozer, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rudy Gay, Michael Redd, Tracy Mcgrady. Obviously, some of these guys are much more desireable than others, but the bottom line is, it's hard to imagine a combination that doesn't directly lead to a playoff berth for the Knicks. So, if the Knicks are a playoff team, then the Rockets having the option to switch first round picks with them in 2011 is very likely not that big of a deal. (and there is simply no guarantee how good the Rockets are going to be next season, as Yao could easily get hurt again) Also, if you think the Knicks are going to be a playoff team next year, then you would the hope the front office has enough competence to build on next year's team heading into 2012. Thus, you would fully expect the Knicks to be a playoff team in 2012. Obviously, there is always a chance that a key injury or unforseen issue derails the Knicks plans. But then again, there is always a chance that the Knicks would pick someone as inconsequential in the first round of 2012 as they did this past offseason.

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
Hello all,

Long time, die hard knick fan and after 2 years of checking these boards, I figured now is the time to join.

I have no problem giving up picks to be able to get 2 max free agents. To people who don't want to give up our picks---why? We aren't building our team. We have NO centerpiece. We have been waiting for this off-season for 3 years, this is how we build our team.

Realistically we would be getting the number 4-8 pick ever year. You don't build championships with 2 or 3 "good" college players. Look at Cleveland. From the late 90's until Lebron they were a lottery team every year and did NOTHING. Then BOOM, they get lebron and everything changes.

This is a league of superstars, look at the good playoff teams and look at what they all have in common. They all have one signature star. Kobe, Nash, Wade, Lebron, Dwight, Joe Johnson, Carmello, KG, Chris Paul. This type of tallent doesnt come along often.

I jump at the T-Mac deal.

Also, Im not sure about the status of his contract, but I think Chris Paul is a FA in 2011. Why not sign LeBron and save the second max contract for Paul the next year? Obviously if this cant be done, then go for two big guys this summer. If that works, we dont care about draft picks and if it doesnt work, well draft picks wont be able to save us.

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
Reported on Real GM - Bulls out of the race for T-Mac.

From ESPN - the only hang up is now if the 2012 pick is lottery protected.

Personally I say make it unprotected. If we have a lottery pick in 2012 we are in serious serious trouble that a lottery player wont help.

Medium sized Risk-Very High Reward

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Reported on Real GM - Bulls out of the race for T-Mac.

From ESPN - the only hang up is now if the 2012 pick is lottery protected.

Personally I say make it unprotected. If we have a lottery pick in 2012 we are in serious serious trouble that a lottery player wont help.

Medium sized Risk-Very High Reward

It also states that the Bulls are now working to finish a deal including the Knicks. Thomas maybe?

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
In other news...Washington Post is reporting Antawn Jamison was traded to the Cavs.

In my opinion, this is great news. I think this means that Amare told the Cavs no thanks. Lets hope this (if true) doesnt put the Cavs over the edge

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
TheChosen- Im a little worried about that and the fact that Salmons was told to sit out.

There is no way Walsh brings in a contract for next season, right? (especially John Salmons)