Trade up using Fields and/or Douglas and our 17th

Trade options if available....?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nuckles2k2

Superstar
its not fair to say that fields or td will not take us to the next level. Fields was in the running for rookie of the year, and would have had a strong case if blake griffin was not allowed to be a part of it (which i feel is unfair because he had a whole year to learn the nba and practice with his team for some months). Fields is our answer at the 2 spot. He has proven that he can handle the nba in his rookie year. Douglas has also proven to be the best backup pg option available right now as we have already committed to billups' contract. our immediate need is to strengthen the front court and get turiaf 100% to backup amare. Turiaf is not a centre and shouldnt play the 5.

we have had success late in many drafts, and have fudged drafts when we had good picks. i feel more easy with less expectation with the 17th

I think it is fair to say that Fields or TD won't take us to the next level, based on what they've showed and how it compares to players who were in their position on other teams. I think people keep misconstruing Fields playing well for a 2nd round pick, and then having more poise than you would expect a lot of rookies to have, with playing at an extremely high level right away. There's a lot of speculating and projecting for what he could become...and there's always the "well...if Griffin didn't qualify as a rookie, then Fields had a chance at winning ROY." And to that I say, if Jordan Crawford wasn't stuck behind Joe Johnson and Jamal, then Nick Young, he would have finished ahead of Landry in the ROY voting. He lit. it. up. once he got some more playing time....about the same amount of playing time that it took Landry to average less than 10 points per game, and 7 rebounds.

Fields is no doubt one hell of a player, but the question is "how irreplaceable is he?" Yes, he was poised and impressive for a rookie, but was his tangibles and intangibles better than say...Brandon Rush, Dahntay Jones, or even a Trevor Ariza? Would you let any of those players hold you back from moving up in the draft to get a PG when your current PG is 34 years old, in the last year of his deal, and your next first round pick is 2 years away and is likely to be a later pick in the round. I think you have to make that trade (albeit reluctantly) every time.

Same thing goes for TD. When he's inserted into the starting lineup does he run the team the way you expect your point to run it? When he runs the point it doesn't look like a point guard running it, it feels more like a 2-guard trying to get assists. Is that what you want going forward? If you take that chance and decide later that it's the wrong move, your next conceivable chance to get a PG is the 2013 draft and then you're gonna have to give that player some time to grow in the NBA....while Melo is 30 and STAT is 31.

I don't see the downside of getting your point guard now, a "safer" one. Trying to get into the tail end of the lottery and getting Kemba or Knight (hopefully 10-14 would be high enough to get one.) If you can get a Landry Fields, Carl Landry, Dejuan Blair, Tiago Splitter, Omir Asik, and Deandre Jordan in the 2nd round, then I'd feel more comfortable bringing JJ over from Serbia and looking at bigs in the 2nd round or even buying another mid to late first round pick for a big. But you have to get your point guard now. Have to.

moneyg

Starter
its not fair to say that fields or td will not take us to the next level. Fields was in the running for rookie of the year, and would have had a strong case if blake griffin was not allowed to be a part of it (which i feel is unfair because he had a whole year to learn the nba and practice with his team for some months). Fields is our answer at the 2 spot. He has proven that he can handle the nba in his rookie year. Douglas has also proven to be the best backup pg option available right now as we have already committed to billups' contract. our immediate need is to strengthen the front court and get turiaf 100% to backup amare. Turiaf is not a centre and shouldnt play the 5.

we have had success late in many drafts, and have fudged drafts when we had good picks. i feel more easy with less expectation with the 17th

fields is not the answer to our 2 spot.. he is ok.. technic...... he is really a 3

td is not a pg and probably never will be one... he is best suited as a 2...he would be a good fit in portland beside andre miller.. a big PG....

turiaf is best suited as a 5.. if he plays the 4.. you would need a offensive center because you wouldmt have any offensive production at the 4 and 5 spot..

turiaf will never be healthy... he is besy suited off the bench for 20 min or less a game depending on matchups....

he is not anywhere near an ideal backup for STAT

Wargames

Starter
Did you guys read what Hahn wrote in his chat article? A lot of it makes sense from a logical cap standpoint. In it he explained how if the Knicks don't get CP3 in a trade it was likely they would sign Billups for a few more years [ala Kidd and Nash]. I honestly think he is right. All the rumors that the Knicks are focused on looking at PG's. Then you have Billups helping his trainer with other PG's [to probably scout them on the low] says they're probably planning to draft his Backup because he will need a reliable one to be effective going into the future. Also it would make sense to keep him contract wise since after next year he would probably only ask for 7 million going forward that would allow us to sign another player and resign everyone else.

but anyhow even beyond that there is really no way we can trade Fields and TD before the season starts due to....

1. Fields play fell off at the end of the season and the playoffs. This will make any GM have to wonder if he was a fluke in D'antoni's system or did he just hit the rookie wall. Though its more like others have said he is a small forward being asked to be a SG [its funny how many players on the Knicks play out of position]. Then When Melo came and took over SF duties it became harder for him to shine since he was really a SG/SF combo. I think however, that Fields will come back and be productive again due to the fact his Bball IQ is so high and that he will be training all summer to play at the NBA level. Even if we get a another SG to start I can see Fields being effective off the bench as a roleplayer.

2. TD showed during the playoffs that he isn't a consistent backup PG and on top of that he was injured. You can argue it was the injury that did it to him but still its a bad look. Now if the Knicks are looking for at back up PG's and the rumor that they really want to bring Chandler back to be their 6th man are true. Then TD becomes a decent trade piece again after they give him some playing time to rebuild his value as an asset. Maybe they can trade him for a true SG or a Center later on. Maybe we trade him to Portland for Rudy or the Suns for Lopez? IDK

Anyhow the only way the Knicks can get picks is to pay for them straight up and even those will probably be low first and seconds. Even in this weak draft we really don't have any good assets nor the depth to trade on a pick for player who may end up sucking.

XMII

Rookie
Im starting t think the best option would be to trade down. Why don't we see if we can get the Bulls to trade us their entire draft for the 17th pick? That would give us two late firsts and middle of the pack second. We could then pick from the best of remaining point guards like Jackson, Jenkins, Morris and bigs like Noguiera, Tyler, Benson and Smith. We could also try and trade back up a little with one of the acquired firsts by packaging it with Douglas or Fields or cash. I'm just not thrilled with the talent available at 17. I don't think it would be much better than what you could get in the mid 20's

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Drafted stars are actually more valuable than stars who you sign as an FA or trade for, because their salaries start a lot lower due to the rookie salary scale. So trading up to get a star would probably put us in a better position than trading for a CP3 or Dwight, the only risk is how good will that drafted player actually become?

There's no such thing as enough stars in the NBA. If you can find a way to get them and still build a team, you do so.

no pg or c will be better than cp3 or dwight

Kiyaman

Legend
Lets give up $3 for $1 thread.....boo boo da FOOL

A silly@ss thread.....
This THREAD topic makes us move 3 steps backward.

Rather than adding we have posters with Walsh foolishness
of subtracting every season.
u subtract one season and add the next two seasons.

This is how u add to a rebuilding team.
We have the 17th pick and (Dolan's) money to buy a pick
6.11 Jordan Williams and 6.5 Mashon Brooks....they are sleepers
Add 2010 pick Jerome Jordan on roster (100 times serviceble than Rautins)
Divide the MLE (Brooks & Foster) or give it whole to (Dalembert)

We have to keep our young hustling offense/defense depth players
Toney Douglas and Landry Fields to be developed and trained by
Chuancy Billups for his $14M this season.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
I think we could land Faried from Morehead State at 17, he's a beastly, intense rebounder... Reminds me of Dennis Rodman.

Keep TD, Fields and hope Faried falls to 17.

Toby Kimbal

Benchwarmer
we would get a big man, great trade, who cares how many times it's said if it's a good move. It's Walsh's call, can we get him, is denver open to it. i'll have to put it up on more threads, thanks

Red

TYPE-A
A silly@ss thread.....

Not only did you suggest we draft more young, unproven, sleepers who unless equates to a STARTING CENTER are an example of repeating mistakes (hoping low draft picks can fill the voids)

But you suggest we spend money and future cap flexibility on Brooks & Foster? With the MLE split? If there is one which can only be used AFTER we go over the cap.

Really? Split $5+mil on Brooks and Foster?

Why would we even attempt to split 5mil on:

A. Brooks? A 6' 160lbs PG who shot 29% from three!

That made $2+mil alone last season!

And then you suggest Foster and 30 year old Samuel Dalembert? That will take up the entire MLE for years!

Wake up! We are NOT rebuilding anything.

WE ARE BUILDING!

And to do so you must learn to prioritize. Guess what before we can worry about a bench, before we can gamble on a 2nd round garbage man, or 3yr seriously shoulder injured T who doesn't fit any role when we NEED starters

The only answer is to maximize the remaining pick we have. We can purchse more picks to take chances, may even be able to retrieve a 2nd rounder for a trade.

Why explore Nate Robinson 2.0 in Brooks?

Get it straight...

We NEED STARTERS! Stat & Melo mean nothing with a bench full of hopefuls AND NO STARTERS!!!!

Billups might be finagled for a player. But we must understand IF a risk is taken, the logical sacrifice is a bench player to get a starter, anchored by the pick.

Or we can keep trying this hit or miss thing and form excuses why we still need to wait.

F*cking Foster and Delembert...smh Brooks...?

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
A silly@ss thread.....

Ya, I was with ya until the Brooks mention. I love Brooks personally being a Rockets fan. But HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL no. He's way too selfish of a player. Also, I hate Foster as well. But that's just me. Kidding. That's everybody. Except you......