Walsh & Kidd on the Triangle & Free Agency

Red

TYPE-A
Oh I see, now you've come full circle with self. We were all doing fine Tig, htr10, mafra, kiya, chief(not as much lately I believe because the team is so bad) talking about a variety of subject matter

What hit a nerve with you was calling Melody a BUM-SLUG. Just say off limits and we good

Wrong again. You're batting a 1.000

Your name should be Wrong Way.

Last edited:
Things are starting to get super hostile around here again. Maybe stick with debating the basketball aspects of things and ease up with the personal insults.

tiger0330

Legend
Things are starting to get super hostile around here again. Maybe stick with debating the basketball aspects of things and ease up with the personal insults
Probably a good idea. Red has been here for a while, he can remember some threads that got out of hand.

I did enjoy the debate going on between them, livened up KOL.

Kiyaman

Legend
Walsh & Kidd don't owe us anything. The point is both veterans echoed the same thing I said; the same thing that you doubt. That the triangle is effective and a superstar like Melo and the Knicks for that matter are attractive due to making the game easier for potential FA's.

Not many if any team can offer that at this juncture. Not even the Eastern Conference leader Hawks.

Did'nt Woodson also mention some good things about the Knicks rebuilding offseason, before Walsh & Kidd?
Take my word all 3 are still employed in the NBA .. they indebt to Dolan .. Isiah!

I believe Kidd's views on the triangle-offense wouldve been more rewarding as a article.
I also believe Walsh views as a career manager shouldve been directed towards franchise players (Melo) playing a role in recruiting promising FA with management (Phil).

Walsh & Kidds comments on the rebuilding Knicks were meaningless .. the two ex-Knicks probably fall over with laughter on how they bailed themselves out of a question about a ex-team that fell to 64 losses.

tiger0330

Legend
Draft Towns, sign Monroe to team up with Melo and the Knicks would have a decent front court but Monroe would eat up $18M of your cap space and I think you calculated that the Knicks would have about $26M in cap space this off-season so that would leave the Knicks about $8M to bring in 7 new players if they sign Monroe to a max deal. No wonder PJ said he wasn't happy with the cap space situation.
Monroe's first year max deal is slightly less then $16M for a player with less than 6 years experience which would leave the Knicks with about 10M and not 8. That extra 2M may be significant in either attracting another semi-star or adding another piece, 26M is still barely enough to surround Melo with a competitive team next year, I'm still hoping Calderon has some trade value so he can be dealt during the off-season.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Oh I see, now you've come full circle with self. We were all doing fine Tig, htr10, mafra, kiya, chief(not as much lately I believe because the team is so bad) talking about a variety of subject matter

What hit a nerve with you was calling Melody a BUM-SLUG. Just say off limits and we good

Actually was trying to post a late game thread Saturday night but had technical difficulties with my phone. I was at Dave and Busters and they had our game on. Someone needs to post THJrs game winning three....Broadway: RED treated you but take it with a grain of salt as he is a longtime, quality poster. Htr10 is right though saying in past threads we need to all try to get along here as we have become a tiny community around here. We many topics to discuss instead of eating our own. No angst about winning these last two games and worsening our draft chances? Lottery on the horizon: who are we drafting anyway? What about free agents? And we never did a JR/Shump appreciation thread after the trade which is a KO.com standard. JR is ballin'on the CAvs like our sixth man of the year. Why is he playing hard for the CAvs while instead of being the class clown untying opponents shoelaces? And why couldn't PJ/Fish get that same production out of JR because looks to me we got ***raped on another trade PJ batting .000 on the tradewire. Take any of these hot topics and run with it. Playoffs. You want to talk about playoffs???:)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Did'nt Woodson also mention some good things about the Knicks rebuilding offseason, before Walsh & Kidd?
Take my word all 3 are still employed in the NBA .. they indebt to Dolan .. Isiah!

I believe Kidd's views on the triangle-offense wouldve been more rewarding as a article.
I also believe Walsh views as a career manager shouldve been directed towards franchise players (Melo) playing a role in recruiting promising FA with management (Phil).

Walsh & Kidds comments on the rebuilding Knicks were meaningless .. the two ex-Knicks probably fall over with laughter on how they bailed themselves out of a question about a ex-team that fell to 64 losses.

Don't forget about Woody as well; I think he's on Docs staff for the Clipps....Kidd probably deserves COY honors for the job he's done in Milwaukee. Even the Bucs midseason try to tank trade didn't stop them from grabbing the 6th seed. How did Kidd get out of NY again? Did Phil even talk to Kidd about the Job? The one who is laughing the hardest has to be Jerry Krause on the job PJ is doing or not....

tiger0330

Legend
Actually was trying to post a late game thread Saturday night but had technical difficulties with my phone. I was at Dave and Busters and they had our game on. Someone needs to post THJrs game winning three....Broadway: RED treated you but take it with a grain of salt as he is a longtime, quality poster. Htr10 is right though saying in past threads we need to all try to get along here as we have become a tiny community around here. We many topics to discuss instead of eating our own. No angst about winning these last two games and worsening our draft chances? Lottery on the horizon: who are we drafting anyway? What about free agents? And we never did a JR/Shump appreciation thread after the trade which is a KO.com standard. JR is ballin'on the CAvs like our sixth man of the year. Why is he playing hard for the CAvs while instead of being the class clown untying opponents shoelaces? And why couldn't PJ/Fish get that same production out of JR because looks to me we got ***raped on another trade PJ batting .000 on the tradewire. Take any of these hot topics and run with it. Playoffs. You want to talk about playoffs???:)
Only because it's the Chief, Timmy's winning 3 that lost the Knicks their worst record in the NBA on Saturday.

tiger0330

Legend
I hope PJ and Mills read the NY Times article today saying Greg Monroe is a B/B+ player and the Knicks should be shooting for a better player for max money. Is PJ going to say "I'm Phil Jackson and I have 11 rings and I say Greg Monroe is worth max money and he's a terrific player for my triangle offense" or is he going to really change the way business in done on the Knicks and spurn Monroe saying "We talked to Greg and we think he's a good player but we couldn't come to financial terms".

Paul1355

All Star
Tiger I think a 24 year old big man that can score at will in the post and rebound like a beast could be worth a max offer. A huge plus is that he is a good passer and having a good passing big man is Phils next key of the triangle offense that he is missing. Monroe is a good fit for the system which is why he might be worth it and he is really young and we need young talents not aging stars

Paul1355

All Star
I hope PJ and Mills read the NY Times article today saying Greg Monroe is a B/B+ player and the Knicks should be shooting for a better player for max money. Is PJ going to say "I'm Phil Jackson and I have 11 rings and I say Greg Monroe is worth max money and he's a terrific player for my triangle offense" or is he going to really change the way business in done on the Knicks and spurn Monroe saying "We talked to Greg and we think he's a good player but we couldn't come to financial terms".
Tiger I think a 24 year old big man that can score at will in the post and rebound like a beast could be worth a max offer. A huge plus is that he is a good passer and having a good passing big man is Phils next key of the triangle offense that he is missing. Monroe is a good fit for the system which is why he might be worth it and he is really young and we need young talents not aging stars<br/>

tiger0330

Legend
Tiger I think a 24 year old big man that can score at will in the post and rebound like a beast could be worth a max offer. A huge plus is that he is a good passer and having a good passing big man is Phils next key of the triangle offense that he is missing. Monroe is a good fit for the system which is why he might be worth it and he is really young and we need young talents not aging stars<br/>
I have posted that if we draft Towns that a front court of Towns, Monroe and Melo would be a decent one and I have said he's a good player just not worth max money and mentioned KLove and DeAndre Jordan (who was mentioned in that NY Times article as being a guy worth max money) as guys being more worthy of max contracts.

Just as Mills was talking about not trading away number 1 picks anymore the Knicks need to learn not to pay top dollar to guys that no one else wants to pay top dollars for. I doubt if SVG brings back Monroe if PJ offers him max money and the Pistons need all the help they can get.

As far as the triangle lets see what happens with it next year with a revamped roster. If the Knicks struggle with it like they did this year PJ and DFisher would be idiots for keeping it around intact.

Paul1355

All Star
I have posted that if we draft Towns that a front court of Towns, Monroe and Melo would be a decent one and I have said he's a good player just not worth max money and mentioned KLove and DeAndre Jordan (who was mentioned in that NY Times article as being a guy worth max money) as guys being more worthy of max contracts.

Just as Mills was talking about not trading away number 1 picks anymore the Knicks need to learn not to pay top dollar to guys that no one else wants to pay top dollars for. I doubt if SVG brings back Monroe if PJ offers him max money and the Pistons need all the help they can get.

As far as the triangle lets see what happens with it next year with a revamped roster. If the Knicks struggle with it like they did this year PJ and DFisher would be idiots for keeping it around intact.
Well K love is worth a max but I'm pretty sure his numbers are same as Monroe this season.

Deandre is a solid center but ppg are inflated because he plays with one of best pg in Chris Paul ...so is his rebounding and shot blocking worth the max?

And to be honest with you I expect the triangle to stay since Jackson won with it and he signed coaches for the sole purpose of running the system. They believe it works but they know they need better players to make it work.

It's not my logic it's their logic.

Broadway

All Star

A Trio of Melo/Towns/Monroe is not better than a Trio of Melo/Amar'e/Tyson....the only advantage is age and price overall. Monroe does not score at will in the post. He can have some very effective games here and there, that's it. Matter of fact I'm not sure how much better Melo/Towns/Monroe is better than Drummond/Smith/Monroe, maybe slightly at best

The fact Monroe didn't clearly distinguish himself as the best big on a garbage team playing alongside Smith and Drummond tells you all you need to know about his max worthiness. I'm just waiting for the other shoe name to drop, so fans can start talking themselves into why said player would be a good signing. Monroe should make anything north of $12mil and that's pushing the envelop to the brink

Kiyaman

Legend
Monroe's first year max deal is slightly less then $16M for a player with less than 6 years experience which would leave the Knicks with about 10M and not 8. That extra 2M may be significant in either attracting another semi-star or adding another piece, 26M is still barely enough to surround Melo with a competitive team next year, I'm still hoping Calderon has some trade value so he can be dealt during the off-season.

Greg Monroe did nothing on the court in the past 4 seasons for Detroit to resign him over $6M per.
For the Knicks to give Monroe a max contract will be more insane than giving a player who cant play at the SF spot anymore and is a weak link at the PF spot a 5 yr contract at $124M.

Melo & Monroe are Marbury & Curry all over again.
I feel sorry for the Knicks top draft pick.
The Knicks top draft pick probably pull a Blake Griffin on the Knicks

tiger0330

Legend
A Trio of Melo/Towns/Monroe is not better than a Trio of Melo/Amar'e/Tyson....the only advantage is age and price overall. Monroe does not score at will in the post. He can have some very effective games here and there, that's it. Matter of fact I'm not sure how much better Melo/Towns/Monroe is better than Drummond/Smith/Monroe, maybe slightly at best

The fact Monroe didn't clearly distinguish himself as the best big on a garbage team playing alongside Smith and Drummond tells you all you need to know about his max worthiness. I'm just waiting for the other shoe name to drop, so fans can start talking themselves into why said player would be a good signing. Monroe should make anything north of $12mil and that's pushing the envelop to the brink
I saw too many losing streaks with Chandler/Melo and Amare on the floor at the same time. It was pathetic when Chandler said during Linsanity that Jeremy Lin saved our season, it was true but those 3 should have hung their heads in shame to be getting paid superstar money to put that kind of putrid play on the floor.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well K love is worth a max but I'm pretty sure his numbers are same as Monroe this season.

Deandre is a solid center but ppg are inflated because he plays with one of best pg in Chris Paul ...so is his rebounding and shot blocking worth the max?

And to be honest with you I expect the triangle to stay since Jackson won with it and he signed coaches for the sole purpose of running the system. They believe it works but they know they need better players to make it work.

It's not my logic it's their logic.

K.Love was not worth Wiggins, and Love performance has never been worth max money.
David Lee career performance has always been 3 to 4 levels higher than K.Love from rookie season to 5th season. u never mention David Lee was worth max money.
Greg Monroe 2010 draft class only had 3 players earn max salary after 4th season (Wall, Cousins, Paul George).
DeAndre Jordan been blocking-shots and dominating the glass for rebounds since rookie season.
Whatever salary Monroe receive as a FA, Jordan is worth twice that amount.

The Knicks coaching staff now are worst than the one Phil FIRED!!!!!