Yahoo Sports: Mello is on the market

Heres the article. just came out an hour ago.

cCarmelo Anthony(notes) wants out of Denver, and World Wide Wes delivered that message to the Nuggets with all the delicacy of a jackhammer at Sunday morning services. Do yourself a favor and trade him, the agent told the organization weeks ago.

1282859811.jpg
Carmelo Anthony has made it clear to the Nuggets he wants a change of scenery.
(NBAE/ Getty Images)

Denver was furnished with a short list of teams and told to get to work. Yes, this how William Wesley and Leon Rose of CAA work now, thick with threats and ultimatums and a swagger suggesting that the sport belongs to them. After Anthony told owner-in-waiting Josh Kroenke that he still wanted out of Denver during a Sunday meeting, the Nuggets appear done trying to sell their All-Star forward on a contract extension.
More From Adrian Wojnarowski

<!--Vendor: Turner, Format: Expandable --><!-- ADSPACE: news/bottom.160x600 -->
<SCRIPT src="http://ads.nba.com/js.ng/site=ynba&ynba_pos=160x600_bot&ynba_rollup=news&page.allowcompete=yes&tile=1282863344907691" type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT>​
<!-- /SIG=15ps5vprm/M=741904.13579178.13637045.12597757/D=sports/S=97684947:SKY/_ylt=AgR3wqxV9cT91sGgYdk_H4TTjdIF/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1282870544/L=4sdR4EwNdHFeWz3ITHbwwwdGSyihA0x28PAADMku/B=OaP5DEWTZZc-/J=1282863344907691/K=g1973fgMIp7fJB5SRTL5Ug/A=5794943/R=0 --><SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['OaP5DEWTZZc-']='&U=13fg9l2q0%2fN%3dOaP5DEWTZZc-%2fC%3d741904.13579178.13637045.12597757%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d5794943%2fV%3d1';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

This wasn?t a productive, nor particularly pleasant, meeting and multiple sources said it could turn out to be the point of no return for Anthony and the organization. Sources insist it?s no longer a matter of if the Nuggets trade Anthony, but when, where and for whom he?s traded for.

?It?s almost a given they?re going to move him,? said a front-office executive who?s talked with the Nuggets and Anthony?s agents with CAA.
Between the agents? bullying and Anthony?s dismissive disposition in Sunday?s meeting, sources said Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, Josh?s father, finally made a stand with CAA.
Keep it up, and the Nuggets will never do a deal for one of your clients again.
Try to dictate terms of a trade and we won?t move him.
Keep up the heavy-handedness and you?ll get a war.
Kroenke has decided to deal with CAA in a way most of the league is too fearful to try. Leon Rose, the agent who works with Wesley, backed down, sources said, and is willing to be more open-minded on potential trade destinations. Anthony wants to leave Denver and get his three-year, $65 million contract extension now. This partnership is rounding third and rapidly reaching disrepair. Denver is willing to trade Anthony, J.R. Smith(notes) and Kenyon Martin(notes), and start over again, sources said.
The Nuggets made it clear to teams they want young players and draft picks for Anthony, league executives said. The New Jersey Nets and Los Angeles Clippers have emerged as the two most probable destinations for Anthony because they have assets that appeal to Denver. The geography works for Anthony because of his wife LaLa Vazquez?s entertainment career.

Golden State and Houston are contenders, too. What?s more, the Charlotte Bobcats are a sleeper because of Anthony?s Brand Jordan shoe deal and the team?s ability to give the Nuggets a salary-dump proposal.

Back in mid-July, the Kroenkes had to travel to New York for Anthony?s wedding to finally realize he no longer intended to sign their extension offer. The reception spiraled into an evening of Chris Paul(notes) and Anthony?s brother making toasts about a future partnership for Anthony and Paul in New York with the Knicks. With nothing to trade for Anthony, though, New York isn?t considered a strong contender in the eyes of Denver management.

Few can be as strong-minded and willful as Stan Kroenke, and it doesn?t matter the Nuggets will be turned over to his son Josh by the end of the year. Stan still will be lording over the franchise, and the billionaire has shown an old-school ability to carry through on his convictions once you?ve lost him as an ally.

With the way that CAA has tried to muscle and manipulate the market this summer, a source said Stan Kroenke, freshly approved as the St. Louis Rams owner, feels further emboldened in the NBA?s collective bargaining talks to push for a ?franchise player? tag that teams could slap on superstars like the one the NFL uses. NBA owners are still far from seriously discussing that issue, but CAA?s manipulation of Anthony and Paul while under contract has become an increasingly sore subject within the league.
For now, the departure of Denver general manager Mark Warkentien and the increased influence of Kroenke advisor Bret Bearup means there won?t be much of a fight within the organization to stay the course with Anthony, sources said. Denver has hired Masai Ujiri as its new GM, but he doesn?t arrive with the authority to make major moves. Things have deteriorated too fast and grown too nasty to believe Denver will turn back now. ?Melo is on the market, and the bidding has begun.

Lets hope Stephen A is right.

Bunta

Benchwarmer
I hope he is not right! Because the way i read it he is giving us next to no chance of landing Melo!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I hope he is not right! Because the way i read it he is giving us next to no chance of landing Melo!

Stephen A didnt write this, this was written by a columnist for yahoo. and its typical for the media to write us off they've always done it.

i for one hope we get Melo a play of his caliber on the wing with STAT in the post would instantly make us contenders in the east

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
What do we honestly have to offer? Gallo and Curry? Why would Denver take Curry's expiring? The trades don't have to match and they'd lose Melo anyway.

Unless Melo forces it, there are plenty of teams with more to put on Denver's plate.

And do we really wanna sell the farm for him? Our next first round pick is in 3016.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
ha ha 3016, nice. I agree there is no way the knicks can pull of the trade with Denver. The only way Melo goes to the Knicks is through free agency and if he dislikes what happens where ever he may play this season. The two teams that have a chance for the trade is the Clippers and Nets.

tiger0330

Legend
What do we honestly have to offer? Gallo and Curry? Why would Denver take Curry's expiring? The trades don't have to match and they'd lose Melo anyway.

Unless Melo forces it, there are plenty of teams with more to put on Denver's plate.

And do we really wanna sell the farm for him? Our next first round pick is in 3016.
I agree, if the Nuggets insist on 1st round draft picks before 2014 for Melo we are done for sure. It's laughable that the Knicks could make Gallo the center piece of this trade, Knick fans love him but he really doesn't have the track record to make a deal for Melo and adding AR-47 is the same deal, young player with potential but unproven as of yet. And I don't think the Nugs are buying a trade of Curry, Gallo and Will as a fair trade for a top 10 talent like Melo either.

I don't see Melo going to free agency either with the new CBA looming, he is trying to force a SnT to get paid before the new CBA. I for one am resolved on having a team without Melo.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
before anything there have been worse trades pulled off for big name players look at the Gasol-to-lakers deal : the best player outgoing was Kwame Brown

look at the A.I-to-denver deal: Andre miller and on namers.

sure they were different scenario's but its been done and Gallo has the potential to be a good SF in this league an Chandler is a solid starter and Curry gives em cap relief after the season. its worth an offer and if Melo pushes it we could land it. im not saying we should go crazy to land Melo cause im very confident in Gallo and i think he'll play close to an Allstar level, but make the offer if its taken its taken if not we simply move on

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
If the knicks get him... GREAT! But i really doubt it'll happen.
I think he's going to the nets. I would kinda like that though... Knicks Vs Nets rivalry in NY... Kinda like mets and yankees... it should be fun arguing with people over what team is better... of course... the KNICKS will ALWAYS be number ONE!

tiger0330

Legend
before anything there have been worse trades pulled off for big name players look at the Gasol-to-lakers deal : the best player outgoing was Kwame Brown

look at the A.I-to-denver deal: Andre miller and on namers.

sure they were different scenario's but its been done and Gallo has the potential to be a good SF in this league an Chandler is a solid starter and Curry gives em cap relief after the season. its worth an offer and if Melo pushes it we could land it. im not saying we should go crazy to land Melo cause im very confident in Gallo and i think he'll play close to an Allstar level, but make the offer if its taken its taken if not we simply move on
You're right nothing ventured nothing gained but like the article said there seem to be better offers out there for him. Don't remind me about the Gasol trade, most lop sided trade of the century. Chris Wallace was an idiot for trading him to a WC rival like the Lakers.

Blumatic

Rotation player
This is going to be nasty. Denver does not want to end up in a bad light. Generally in this situation the team must appease to a player. If they go against Melo's wishes players will take notice an not be willing to go to the Nuggets if the don't heed to Melo. Nuggets like the Cavs is not a big market not a favorite destination for many players. B/c Gilbert wrote that letter about LBJ free agents look even less towards going there.

If Melo says Knicks and Nuggets say NO and trade him someplace else. That does not look good for Denver. Carmelo has to sign that extension if the other team is going to receive him.

If the Knicks are going to get him then it will get nasty b/t the agents and the Nuggets.

But Carmelo has to really want us, if he is traded else where then he really didnt want us.

Carmelo seeming wants the east and the Nuggets would probably trade him to the east. So the Nets are in more play than the Clippers. Nets are a legit threat.

But like I said, if he wants the Knicks then he'll get us.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Well we all know that this is a friends play with friends league. It helps that Amare has Carmelo ear just as Wade had Lebron's ear.

If Melo wants to win, come to NY, the Nets would have to give up some serious assets to get him.

We have assets but are most important one is Amare and he's staying. Melo and Amare is beastly. If Melo goes to the Nets, who is he with, Lopez?

nyk_nyk

All Star
It is painfully obvious that DEN just doesn't want to deal with us. I kind of look at it as DEN not wanting to give Melo everything he wants. I'm sure they're pissed that they have to go through this, so they aren't going to just trade him to the team everyone knows is his #1 option.

I hate hearing reports of these other teams in the mix because it seemed as though Melo wanted to play alongside STAT from the beginning.

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
It is painfully obvious that DEN just doesn't want to deal with us. I kind of look at it as DEN not wanting to give Melo everything he wants. I'm sure they're pissed that they have to go through this, so they aren't going to just trade him to the team everyone knows is his #1 option.

I hate hearing reports of these other teams in the mix because it seemed as though Melo wanted to play alongside STAT from the beginning.

In that case, then if I was Melo I would just wait, let my contract expire, sign with the Knicks, and fack Denver in the aaasss. :) :afro:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This is from Adrian Wojnarowski, so we can consider it pretty reliable news. Woj is one of the most respected analysts out there and from what I've seen he's almost always right.

Paul1355

All Star
Heres the article. just came out an hour ago.

Lets hope Stephen A is right.

i dont understand that everyone thinks we dont have enough assests. We have young guys that have huge upside, teams always want guys with all star potential in Gallo and Randolph. And we have a solid bench with some good role players.

We have assests is its just that teh NBA doesn't want another Heat team forming with amazing players. screw them NY needs its rings.

And Melo will be a Knick, the writing is on the wall