Yahoo Sports: Mello is on the market

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
I'm not getting my hopes up. LBJ taught us that already. If Melo wants to be a knick he will be. Period. If he doesn't come here its cause he didn't want to.

nyk_nyk

All Star
i dont understand that everyone thinks we dont have enough assests. We have young guys that have huge upside, teams always want guys with all star potential in Gallo and Randolph. And we have a solid bench with some good role players.

We have assests is its just that teh NBA doesn't want another Heat team forming with amazing players. screw them NY needs its rings.

And Melo will be a Knick, the writing is on the wall

Its not that we don't have any assets. DEN wants "proven" young players and draft picks. We have Gallo and Randolph, both having great potential BUT their not willing to trade superstar for potential. It really hurts us by not having any upcoming 1st rd picks.

Our best chance at this point is for Gallo and AR to start the season off blazin hot and increase their stock enough for DEN to take notice. There is also the slim chance that Melo becomes a FA and just sign with us. Thats probably a long shot since he definitely wants the extension, but wants to be traded as well.

quiggle

Starter
well look at it this way knicks lose Carmelo to another team that doesnt give Zeke a good reason to come back since he cant lure him in.

New New York

Quiet Storm
melo on the nets would be insane

Problem is for NJ to acquire him they would have to include players from their young core. In other words they would need to gut the team in order to make it happen.

If this deal was to go down before the season starts (which we assume it would because Melo appears to want out ASAP) then none of the 5 players that NJ signed this offseason can be in the trade.

Now NJ has 10 picks in the next 3 drafts which is a huge trading chip but Denver will no doubt want Brook Lopez or Favors in a deal for Melo.

Lets say they go with the more proven player in Lopez, then examine New Jersey's core and tell me if Melo is going agree to a trade there?

If Melo is a FA next summer then The Nets have a serious chance, but they won't get him in a trade because without Lopez being included in the package teams can certainley offer more to Melo than New Jersey could, but to include Lopez in a trade package means Melo is going to an even worst Nets team than last year!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't understand the argument that NJ will have to gut their team but we won't. And if we have to gut our team, then forget it. Let Melo go somewhere else.

p0nder

Starter
Melo + Amare + 7 role players = 3rd in the east.

not that i think he is on his way to the knicks, just saying that we'd be in a better position with melo and amar'e then any combo of our current players.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I don't understand the argument that NJ will have to gut their team but we won't. And if we have to gut our team, then forget it. Let Melo go somewhere else.

New Jersey's core is made up of primarily the type of young players that Denver would be seeking in a trade.

We could still part with a couple young players like Randolph or Gallo along with Wilson and still have a nice core

Again lets look at it....

New Jersey trades Lopez,Murphy and some picks (assuming that is all they ask for) for Melo and here is the end result

Devin Harris
Anthony Morrow
Melo
Favors
Josh Boone

We trade lets say Curry, Gallo and Wilson and future a pick for Melo

Felton
Walker or Mason
Melo
Amare
Randolph

or subsitute Randolph for Gallo

Felton
Melo
Gallo
Amare
Tariaf

either way we would be at least a 4 or 5 whereas NJ would be at the very best a team contending for the 8th spot.

Now again NJ will have a great shot at him next summer if he stays in Denver for this season, but they won't get him in a trade.

I wouldn't be suprised if he went to Jersey, the Nets will be going to Brooklyn, his home town. But, for the Knicks to get Mello they will have to make a muti team deal. I highly doubt he will make it to FA.

knicksin60

Starter
The Miami Heat had a gutted roster before they became a mini dream team this summer.Why can't the Knicks gut their roster to acquire Anthony? Do Knick fans really believe that Randolph and Gallo are going to outperform guys like Bryant, Gasol, Wade and Bosh in a playoff series? For a team that is coached to make offense a priority there is no way that the Knicks are going to go deep into the playoffs by outscoring their opponents with the players that they have now.The Knicks' current roster is a 50 win/2nd round exit at best.Even with a gutted roster I would have more confidence watching Stoudemire and Anthony go up against Lebron, Wade and Bosh than watch Stoudemire, Gallo and Randolph go up against Miami's three.I want to watch a Knick team that has the potential to win a championship, not a reincarnation of the 90's teams that were loaded with talent but always fell short of an NBA title.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The Miami Heat had a gutted roster before they became a mini dream team this summer.Why can't the Knicks gut their roster to acquire Anthony? Do Knick fans really believe that Randolph and Gallo are going to outperform guys like Bryant, Gasol, Wade and Bosh in a playoff series? For a team that is coached to make offense a priority there is no way that the Knicks are going to go deep into the playoffs by outscoring their opponents with the players that they have now.The Knicks' current roster is a 50 win/2nd round exit at best.Even with a gutted roster I would have more confidence watching Stoudemire and Anthony go up against Lebron, Wade and Bosh than watch Stoudemire, Gallo and Randolph go up against Miami's three.I want to watch a Knick team that has the potential to win a championship, not a reincarnation of the 90's teams that were loaded with talent but always fell short of an NBA title.

Are you saying the 90's teams didn't have the potential to win a championship? I would LOVE to have a team made up of the heart of those 90's Knick teams. That's what we've been lacking for a decade!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
New Jersey's core is made up of primarily the type of young players that Denver would be seeking in a trade.

We could still part with a couple young players like Randolph or Gallo along with Wilson and still have a nice core

Again lets look at it....

New Jersey trades Lopez,Murphy and some picks (assuming that is all they ask for) for Melo and here is the end result

Devin Harris
Anthony Morrow
Melo
Favors
Josh Boone

We trade lets say Curry, Gallo and Wilson and future a pick for Melo

Felton
Walker or Mason
Melo
Amare
Randolph

or subsitute Randolph for Gallo

Felton
Melo
Gallo
Amare
Tariaf

either way we would be at least a 4 or 5 whereas NJ would be at the very best a team contending for the 8th spot.

Now again NJ will have a great shot at him next summer if he stays in Denver for this season, but they won't get him in a trade.

If NJ has to give up Lopez, we'll have to give up BOTH Gallo and Randolph. Denver would much rather take NJ's deal than ours if we don't include both.....hence, we have to gut our team in order to get Melo. A Lopez + Murphy + picks offer would beat out a Gallo + Chandler + Curry + pick offer. So in order to beat NJ's offer, we would have to offer both Gallo and Randolph and maybe Chandler too.

I would prefer to not have to gut the team for Melo. Let him go somewhere else. A gutted team with Melo, Stat and Felton (and no picks for the next 5 years) is not a championship team. It maybe moves us up to the 4 or 5 seed instead of a 7 or 8 seed. Not worth it to me. I would much rather keep our picks and cap flexibility.

New New York

Quiet Storm
If NJ has to give up Lopez, we'll have to give up BOTH Gallo and Randolph. Denver would much rather take NJ's deal than ours if we don't include both.....hence, we have to gut our team in order to get Melo. A Lopez + Murphy + picks offer would beat out a Gallo + Chandler + Curry + pick offer. So in order to beat NJ's offer, we would have to offer both Gallo and Randolph and maybe Chandler too.

I would prefer to not have to gut the team for Melo. Let him go somewhere else. A gutted team with Melo, Stat and Felton (and no picks for the next 5 years) is not a championship team. It maybe moves us up to the 4 or 5 seed instead of a 7 or 8 seed. Not worth it to me. I would much rather keep our picks and cap flexibility.

Wait....you think a package containing Brook Lopez Troy Murphy and picks is the equivalent to Wilson Chandler,Gallo, and Randolph and a future pick or even just Gallo, Randolph and a pick?

I just don't see that! I think a package of Gallo or Randolph and Wilson along with a future 1st rounder is very much equal....I mean as equal as any two trade packages can be in The NBA. It comes down to team need, in our scenerio we would be plugging a whole left by Melo with a young player. But even still I dont think Lopez is that good to where he is equal to the type of talent you think we would have to give up to match a package containing Lopez

But....lets just say for arguments sake we did give up Gallo and Randolph for Melo, we still did not "gut our team", we still would have a better core of players than NJ without Lopez

Felton
Wilson
Melo
Amare
Tariaf

is still better than What NJ would be left w/

Harris
Morrow
Melo
Favors
Boone

compare the two and ask yourself where is Melo more likely to want be apart of!

Hell throw in Wilson (although there is no way Donnie would, nor do I think we should/need to) and you end up with

Felton
Walker or Mason
Melo
Amare
Tariaf

still better than NJ's core without Lopez!

Again....in terms of a trade for Melo we have a major adavantage over NJ no matter who we throw in, because again they would have to trade away Lopez to get Melo.

Now if Melo doesnt get traded in the offseason and he is still wanting to be traded during the season when NJ can include some players they signed this off season then that changes everything, they possibly could put together a package containing Favors and a player like Outlaw and mutiple picks to try to avoid moving Lopez, but if the deal goes down now then there is no way around them parting with Lopez

Thus Advantage Knicks :gony:

knicksin60

Starter
Are you saying the 90's teams didn't have the potential to win a championship? I would LOVE to have a team made up of the heart of those 90's Knick teams. That's what we've been lacking for a decade!

The Knicks had the potential to win a championship in the 2 years that Michael Jordan sat out.But in the years in which the Pistons, Bulls, and Spurs dominated, the Knicks were similar to what the Mavericks, Blazers and Magic are today--a very talented team whose full potential falls short of another teams'.

Smooth

Benchwarmer
Hes saying he wants a team that could take us to promise land and win it all not a team that had all the heart in the world but didnt win it all.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Why would Melo sign the extension to go to either the Clippers or the Nets if both teams have to seemingly decimate their roster to get him?

That extension is effectively acting like a NTC, if the Nuggets come to him and say "we have a deal in place with the Clippers for [insert players,] please sign the extension so the deal can go through." Melo can say "no."

So if the reports of Melo wanting to play in the northeast are true (and why wouldn't they be? He has a kid with a wife who has a career in NYC) and we have Amar'e on our roster, who is going nowhere, I don't see how we're not in as good a position as any other team out there.

It's not about what Denver wants in a deal, it's about whether or not Denver wants to lose him and get nothing in return, or if Melo is willing to sign the extension to play elsewhere.

Whether they like it or not, Denver has to work with Melo for a trade to happen. No one is going to trade for a rental and let the guy walk next summer. And Melo doesn't have to sign the extension to appease the Nuggets and let a trade go through to the team with the "best assets."

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Wait....you think a package containing Brook Lopez Troy Murphy and picks is the equivalent to Wilson Chandler,Gallo, and Randolph and a future pick or even just Gallo, Randolph and a pick?

I just don't see that! I think a package of Gallo or Randolph and Wilson along with a future 1st rounder is very much equal....I mean as equal as any two trade packages can be in The NBA. It comes down to team need, in our scenerio we would be plugging a whole left by Melo with a young player. But even still I dont think Lopez is that good to where he is equal to the type of talent you think we would have to give up to match a package containing Lopez

But....lets just say for arguments sake we did give up Gallo and Randolph for Melo, we still did not "gut our team", we still would have a better core of players than NJ without Lopez

Felton
Wilson
Melo
Amare
Tariaf

is still better than What NJ would be left w/

Harris
Morrow
Melo
Favors
Boone

compare the two and ask yourself where is Melo more likely to want be apart of!

Hell throw in Wilson (although there is no way Donnie would, nor do I think we should/need to) and you end up with

Felton
Walker or Mason
Melo
Amare
Tariaf

still better than NJ's core without Lopez!

Again....in terms of a trade for Melo we have a major adavantage over NJ no matter who we throw in, because again they would have to trade away Lopez to get Melo.

Now if Melo doesnt get traded in the offseason and he is still wanting to be traded during the season when NJ can include some players they signed this off season then that changes everything, they possibly could put together a package containing Favors and a player like Outlaw and mutiple picks to try to avoid moving Lopez, but if the deal goes down now then there is no way around them parting with Lopez

Thus Advantage Knicks :gony:

I disagree. Knick fans are the only ones that consider Chandler to have high value. And we also give Gallo a lot more value than the rest of the league. I'm sorry. I know it may be difficult for many Knick fans to accept, but it's the truth.

Lopez has much more value. A potential top 5 Center has exponentailly greater value than Gallo + Chandler, or Randolph + Chandler.

There is no way Denver takes Gallo + Chandler + Curry + 2014 pick over what most teams can offer. So, in order to get Melo, we will have to increase our offer...i.e. gut the team.

portega1968

El Cacique
we will all be blindsided again when Melo goes to Miami in exchange for Mike Miller, Haslem, Eddie House, Mario Chalmers and draft picks for the next 10 years.

NYKnicks15

Starter
We need to be patient and just wait until next year. UNLESS Carmelo states he will sign an extension with the team he goes to.

Clippers and Nets have the best assets to trade.. and thats the problem. Carmelo isnt going to sign an extension with a team if they give up their core for him. Have it be us, Nets, Rockets, Clippers WHOEVER.

So someone is going to get Carmelo for cheap. And I dont see why it cant be us. IF he states he is going to sign with New York in FA next season anyways. by simply not signing an extension.

I'd personally, offer Curry, Chandler and another player or two (rookies or bench). THATS IT. I wouldnt include Gallinari UNLESS Chandler turns into Fernandez. And then we simply offer Gallinari a nd Curry. We have to stay strong UNLESS he says he will sign an extension with whoever he signs.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I disagree. Knick fans are the only ones that consider Chandler to have high value. And we also give Gallo a lot more value than the rest of the league. I'm sorry. I know it may be difficult for many Knick fans to accept, but it's the truth.

Lopez has much more value. A potential top 5 Center has exponentailly greater value than Gallo + Chandler, or Randolph + Chandler.

There is no way Denver takes Gallo + Chandler + Curry + 2014 pick over what most teams can offer. So, in order to get Melo, we will have to increase our offer...i.e. gut the team.

Unless Melo refuses to sign the extension for any other team. No one is going to trade away young talent and draft picks to rent him for a season. A major part of any trade is Melo putting pen to paper for that extension, and the fact that the money alone isn't enough for him to resign with Denver shows where his mind is...now we're going to see where he really wants to go.

If he refuses the extension for every trade partner except the Knicks then Denver has two options, lose him and get nothing in a year or take what we offer. Melo effectively has a NTC unless someone takes him without any guarantees of him not opting out next summer.