Yahoo Sports: Mello is on the market

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Unless Melo refuses to sign the extension for any other team. No one is going to trade away young talent and draft picks to rent him for a season. A major part of any trade is Melo putting pen to paper for that extension, and the fact that the money alone isn't enough for him to resign with Denver shows where his mind is...now we're going to see where he really wants to go.

If he refuses the extension for every trade partner except the Knicks then Denver has two options, lose him and get nothing in a year or take what we offer. Melo effectively has a NTC unless someone takes him without any guarantees of him not opting out next summer.

True. That is our only leverage to get Melo. But are the Knicks that important to him? We don't know. Signing that extension and getting his money before the new CBA and potential lockout may be more important to him. If he's ok with NJ or one of the other teams suggested by the media, than I would say we're out of contention to get Melo....unless we gut the team.

Here we again with these madness rumors of Carmelo preferring to go to this place and then another couple of days another place. Just like the ridiculous Lebron James saga and The Descision. :boohoo: Im still torn and decided whther its right to trade Gallinari for Carmelo right now . I think that i changed my mind lil bit that I would do a Gallinari but not both Randolph and Gallo for Anthony cause this is Carmelo anthony we`re talkin about. I just really want Carmelo on the Knicks along with amare. :crossfingers: I think a Carmelo and amare combo along with the Raymond Felton dishing to them would be awesome and deadly although i dont know how Carmelo and Amare would mesh together because I think theyre both ball dominat. I really think the Nets are legitimate threat to acquire him because they have the trade assets to get him such as offering (Favors, Harris, T Will even lopez and first round picks). If the Nets do acquire him then I would be really sick to my stomach because Carmelo is the guy i want on the Knicks:teeth: Anycase does anyone know if there is any star free agents for next year. I know Chrsi Paul is a free agent 2010 but is Deron williams and Dwight free agents this year 2011 but the following year.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I disagree. Knick fans are the only ones that consider Chandler to have high value. And we also give Gallo a lot more value than the rest of the league. I'm sorry. I know it may be difficult for many Knick fans to accept, but it's the truth.

Lopez has much more value. A potential top 5 Center has exponentailly greater value than Gallo + Chandler, or Randolph + Chandler.

There is no way Denver takes Gallo + Chandler + Curry + 2014 pick over what most teams can offer. So, in order to get Melo, we will have to increase our offer...i.e. gut the team.

But what I have shown you that even if we did include Chandler along with Gallo and Randolph it still would not be us gutting our team in the same way NJ would be by simply parting ways with Lopez.

We could go back and forth all day about Lopez's worth, but that's irrelevent when you compare what is left from NJ's roster after parting ways with Lopez vs. what is left if we did indeed part with Wilson,Gallo, and Randolph. We still are a more desirable location for Melo to want to play at hands down.

The difference simply boils down to us having another All Star in on our team in Amare.

Like someone said before, if you put Amare and Melo together on the same roster you just need role player types (such as Walker,Douglas,Tariaf,Mason) for us to be a top team in The East.

Again this is only comparing us to The Nets, I think Orlando could trade for Melo and give him the most amount of talent to play along with....but if Melo limits his choice to simply the Tri State area then we are the frontrunners for sure.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Here's the thing.

If the Clippers gut their team to get Melo, they've got Melo and...yeah.

If the Nets gut their team to get Melo, they've got Melo and...yeah.

If the Knicks gut their team to get Melo, they've got Melo and Amar'e together, which is still a damn good team even if they need some roleplayers.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
But what I have shown you that even if we did include Chandler along with Gallo and Randolph it still would not be us gutting our team in the same way NJ would be by simply parting ways with Lopez.

We could go back and forth all day about Lopez's worth, but that's irrelevent when you compare what is left from NJ's roster after parting ways with Lopez vs. what is left if we did indeed part with Wilson,Gallo, and Randolph. We still are a more desirable location for Melo to want to play at hands down.

The difference simply boils down to us having another All Star in on our team in Amare.

Like someone said before, if you put Amare and Melo together on the same roster you just need role player types (such as Walker,Douglas,Tariaf,Mason) for us to be a top team in The East.

Again this is only comparing us to The Nets, I think Orlando could trade for Melo and give him the most amount of talent to play along with....but if Melo limits his choice to simply the Tri State area then we are the frontrunners for sure.

I guess this is just a difference of opinion. I don't think a gutted team of role players around Amare and Melo makes us contenders.

I said before, it maybe moves us up to the 3 or 4 seed (Miami, Bulls, Orlando still better) instead of a 7 or 8 seed.

I would much rather keep Gallo and Randolph and Chandler, keep our draft picks, and keep our cap flexibility (there are still some decent players available next year or get Deron Williams the following year).

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Melo + Amar'e plus our bench doesn't make us role players? Say we dump Randolph and Gallo and Curry for Melo.

We still have:

PG - Felton
SG - Chandler or Rudy Fernandez
SF - Melo
PF - Amar'e
C - Turiaf/Mozgov

You don't think that's at least a possible 50 win team? Felton is a solid PG, Chandler can defend and score maybe 14 points, Melo is the best scorer in the NBA, Amar'e is the best big man in the NBA (arguably), and Turiaf/Mozgov, while they're still raw, have size and Turiaf in particular can defend quite well.

That'd still be a decent team. Probably not a championship caliber team just yet, but a team good enough to challenge the Bulls/Bucks/Magic easy.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Do you really want to do that?? I thought you said you wouldn't want to give up Gallo and Randolph to get a top tier free agent:

Exactly.

Paul is an amazing player but Felton is quality. The difference between Felton and Paul isn't big to the point where we need to gut our team to upgrade from Felton to Paul. Certainly not worth dumping Anthony Randolph AND Gallo.

ESPECIALLY since Paul is going to be a free agent in two years and no other team really has the assets to trade for him.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I guess this is just a difference of opinion. I don't think a gutted team of role players around Amare and Melo makes us contenders.

I said before, it maybe moves us up to the 3 or 4 seed (Miami, Bulls, Orlando still better) instead of a 7 or 8 seed.

I would much rather keep Gallo and Randolph and Chandler, keep our draft picks, and keep our cap flexibility (there are still some decent players available next year or get Deron Williams the following year).

No Carmelo and Amare wouldnt make us instant contender, but for sure would have a better chance of winning than New Jersey minus Lopez

Thats all I'm saying

Paul1355

All Star
No Carmelo and Amare wouldnt make us instant contender, but for sure would have a better chance of winning than New Jersey minus Lopez

Thats all I'm saying
Felton, Carmelo and Amare would make us possibly the 2nd best team in the east with good team chemistry. 3rd or 4th best with decent chemistry.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Are we still going on about this?

Waste of time and effort.

If Melo is a Knick this year I'll **** my sock.

Again.

Blumatic

Rotation player

Thats all I'm saying

Wow not contender?

Well let's look at the talents of each team if melo sign with us straight up.

MIA: Lebron, Wade, Bosh
BOS: Garnett Pierce Allen
NYK: Carmelo, Amare
CHI: Rose, Boozer
ORL: Howard
LAL: Kobe, Pau (2-time defending Champs)

We would be offensively unstoppable. More potent than Phoenix ever was.
Defensively we would be so much better for the mere fact that we're much taller than we were last year.

If we trade then it may hurt us but I see us in in 6 7 games in the 2nd or third round.