You Have to Deal Melo AND Amar'e, Then We Can Build Around Lin

KBlack25

Starter
His body is evidence. Guy has made amazing strides in his strength and conditioning.

Probably correct.

Everybody knows no other player in NBA history has been subjected to a stricter and tougher team-training regimen after he left college. This must be something unique to Jeremy Lin.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
So all it takes is 10 games to prove you can be the man, so the 9 years of 25PPG, from the 2 guys your trying to dump, means nothing.LOL.

25 points per game looks nice but it can be deceiving. Numbers are good general markers of the quality of a player, but they do not tell the complete story.

Yes, Melo scores a lot of points and he's done it for a long time. But what he has also done for a long time is lose playoffs games.

Lin plays like a boss and is everything a coach would dream about if they will ask for the perfect student.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Probably correct.

Everybody knows no other player in NBA history has been subjected to a stricter and tougher team-training regimen after he left college. This must be something unique to Jeremy Lin.

It's what guys do beyond the team-training. That's why you have guys like Eddy Curry and Melo that do the bare minimum while Lin is out there going beyond the minimum.

KBlack25

Starter
It's what guys do beyond the team-training. That's why you have guys like Eddy Curry and Melo that do the bare minimum while Lin is out there going beyond the minimum.

Yep and the 8 weeks showed he is a much improved player compared to...well no other significant NBA experience. But hey he's more effective getting 35 minutes per game than he was getting 0 minutes per game! That must mean he's constantly improving.

Logical disconnects, and conclusive leaps in logic without evidence FTW!

fender0577

Rotation player
25 points per game looks nice but it can be deceiving. Numbers are good general markers of the quality of a player, but they do not tell the complete story.

Yes, Melo scores a lot of points and he's done it for a long time. But what he has also done for a long time is lose playoffs games.And how many playoff series has LIN won?

Lin plays like a boss and is everything a coach would dream about if they will ask for the perfect student.
Word?10 good games make you a boss?Did you forget about the 8 turnovers a game?I judge good PG's by taking care of the ball, and making everyone better.Lin doesn't take care of the ball like he should, and he only makes fields, and TC better, he couldn't even run the PnR with STAT, because teams learned early, just trap him and he'll pick up his dribble, allowing them to get back to their rotations.I'm not gonna get into his short comings, because i like parts of his game, but i just think it's way to early, to jump ship and build around an unproven guy.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Yep and the 8 weeks showed he is a much improved player compared to...well no other significant NBA experience. But hey he's more effective getting 35 minutes per game than he was getting 0 minutes per game! That must mean he's constantly improving.

That's fair.

But you can't tell me there is nothing beyond the numbers. There are some things you see in a player that are valuable but we cannot put a statistic on them. This is what Lin has, he's a great team-player, he's skilled and can drop above-average numbers, and by all accounts a hard worker.

We're fans and we can only see so much, but from what we do see I don't know if anyone would say they would rather start a team with Melo instead than Lin, if they were choosing this team fresh.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Word?10 good games make you a boss?Did you forget about the 8 turnovers a game?I judge good PG's by taking care of the ball, and making everyone better.Lin doesn't take care of the ball like he should, and he only makes fields, and TC better, he couldn't even run the PnR with STAT, because teams learned early, just trap him and he'll pick up his dribble, allowing them to get back to their rotations.I'm not gonna get into his short comings, because i like parts of his game, but i just think it's way to early, to jump ship and build around an unproven guy.

That's the difference then. To my mind, Lin is already proven.

No player is perfect and we can find many short comings in every player, but the overall feeling around Lin is that he's a willing student with the right attitude and this combination will take him and his teams far.

fender0577

Rotation player
That's the difference then. To my mind, Lin is already proven.

No player is perfect and we can find many short comings in every player, but the overall feeling around Lin is that he's a willing student with the right attitude and this combination will take him and his teams far.
So you want to dump, the two best players, we've had in 10 years for a feeling.OOOK.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
So you want to dump, the two best players, we've had in 10 years for a feeling.OOOK.

I'm not sure where this is taken for granted that we have two good players in Melo and Amar'e. I think they're mediocre players relative to their contracts and that the good things they provide can be had for a cheaper price and in a better team-oriented fit.

fender0577

Rotation player
I'm not sure where this is taken for granted that we have two good players in Melo and Amar'e. I think they're mediocre players relative to their contracts and that the good things they provide can be had for a cheaper price and in a better team-oriented fit.
Ok Orange, who would you trade them for, to build around LIN?

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Ok Orange, who would you trade them for, to build around LIN?

I outlined the Amar'e to Minny trade before, which would basically be Amar'e for Pekovic and Beasley.

For Melo I think you have to make a move for Kobe. Lakers benefit they get the potential and glitz and flash Melo brings while Knicks get a proven Winner and an All-Time great with a lot of game left in him. I don't expect him to come in and drop 30 for the next 3 years, but I think the contrast between Lin's up and coming by-the-balls enthusiasm and Kobe's experience plus Pekovic to bang down low, with Tyson Chandler as center? That's a team that will contend for the next 3 years guaranteed and possibly longer.

Jordan didn't win his first Championship until he was 30. Kobe is 33 and in impressive fitness.

Tyson Chandler, Pekovic, Fields, Kobe, Lin; Bease on the bench with JR.

KBlack25

Starter
I outlined the Amar'e to Minny trade before, which would basically be Amar'e for Pekovic and Beasley.

For Melo I think you have to make a move for Kobe. Lakers benefit they get the potential and glitz and flash Melo brings while Knicks get a proven Winner and an All-Time great with a lot of game left in him. I don't expect him to come in and drop 30 for the next 3 years, but I think the contrast between Lin's up and coming by-the-balls enthusiasm and Kobe's experience plus Pekovic to bang down low, with Tyson Chandler as center? That's a team that will contend for the next 3 years guaranteed and possibly longer.

Jordan didn't win his first Championship until he was 30. Kobe is 33 and in impressive fitness.

You-are-dumb-you-are-really-dumb-fo-real.jpg

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Haha alright, well that's a dead end.

The deal makes sense for everyone and improves all teams because it takes into consideration how the players will fit in a given scenario rather than mindlessly acquiring talent, which is how current Knicks team is assembled.

Shumpert is in play in both trades if necessary to boost the pot, and I'm not clear on our draft picks situation but I am sure something can be worked out.

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
What part do you think is dumb?

what was the record before linsanity? would we have even made the playoffs?

I honestly think that without linsanity happening and renewing the fire of the team. The Knicks would not have made it to the playoffs. Let's say maybe 9th spot. That would've been an epic fail. Considering that, would everyone here think that the Knicks needed melo and amare time to mesh for next season?

Let's be honest, the Knicks were total fail before this linsanity thing happened. Nothing to do with supporting lin or not

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
I read this thread and thought it was a joke. I laughed at first, than I became worried after seeing 5 pages of discussion. Now, I'm signing off. :barf:

KBlack25

Starter
Haha alright, well that's a dead end.

The deal makes sense for everyone and improves all teams because it takes into consideration how the players will fit in a given scenario rather than mindlessly acquiring talent, which is how current Knicks team is assembled.

Shumpert is in play in both trades if necessary to boost the pot, and I'm not clear on our draft picks situation but I am sure something can be worked out.

The Lakers are not trading Kobe, period. It's idiotic to even talk about it.

You complain about Melo not trying hard, but then you want to trade for Michael Beasley who has had insane focus and discipline problems in his short stay in the league?

fender0577

Rotation player

No thanks, i'm not giving up a prime MELO, for a 33 year old Kobe.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
The Lakers are not trading Kobe, period. It's idiotic to even talk about it.

You complain about Melo not trying hard, but then you want to trade for Michael Beasley who has had insane focus and discipline problems in his short stay in the league?

It's a matter of fit. McGee in Denver is suddenly not the silly bum loser but a quickly maturing beast animal. Bease in New York under a guy like Kobe would do him a world of good and he can fill the complimentary role he is really cut out to be rather than trying to fit the great expectations of being a number 1 guy.

It might be a reach to expect the Lakers to deal Kobe, but I think the trade makes a lot of sense to them, if not this year but after next season when there is an extra year on Kobe's legs.

It's a scenario for Lakers where you will have a Melo that should be entering his peak and maybe Phil Jackson would come back for this and make a man out of Melo. I like that fit for them.

Kobe fits us in so many ways. He's the All-Time Great we've never really had. He is the winning, veteran, no non-sense leader that raises everyone around him on the hardwoods. At 34 next season, Kobe still has years of very strong basketball.

Minny, Amar'e is good for them giving them a veteran. They cash in on the talent and put Amar'e in the best environment for him to succeed, he is a good fit with Rubio and Love who will spread the floor and dish all day and play really good team ball. It's what Amar'e thrives in.