NY DAILY NEWS - Knicks Interested in Camby?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well I would love this deal, but no way the Clips give up Camby with only Q-Rich coming to them unless Portland is giving up something on their end that is not reported. I think Frye would be a good player off the bench for us he can step out an hit the J which is a plus with Dantoni, although not a true shot blocking big man would be an upgrade in that regard over anyone we currently have on the roster. Problem is he blasted us on the way out the door last year, and at times to The Portland paper but hey that was also a different regime he was talking about. If we can all line up and slap in his face upon his return I'd say all is forgiven!

Now Camby.....This is a player I thought we should be making a play for all along, I have dedicated atleast one thread to it. Shot blocking Center who can run the floor and plays with just as much heart if not more than Lee. This is the ideal fit for us, you can play him with scorers because he doesnt demand the ball. I can go on and on about how Marcus should be here. My thinking is if we dont get him in a trade making him a key target in 2010 for MLE type money (after all my boy will be like 36 by then).

All for this deal, but as it is presented won't get done unless Portland is giving up something nice to The Clippers like Bayless or Rudy Fernandez and still a draft pick. But its nice to see that The Knicks are looking to solidify our D.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
so, Blazers get Lee for Channing Frye?
and Clippers get Q-Rich for Camby?

Nahh there must be something more involved.
Even Kevin Pritchard isnt that good.
And even Mike Dunleavy isn't that bad.

clumsy

Rotation player
yah this trade would be too good for the knicks. We get a player who will be out of the league soon. And a center who is MUCH better in all aspects of the game than our current one. We also shed money for an inconsistent SF.

rick700

Rookie
It just doesn't make sense. I love camby but hes 34 and will not be a piece of the future and fry is an average role player and nothing more. Also, if the trade happens. We only have 2 playable guards on the team. And curry would have no chance to get on the court. And curry has to play so they can build up his trade value.

I would rather have bayless and a pick straight up for dlee. But truthfully we can hold out for better.

Toons

is the Bo$$
bayless for lee? bad idea

bayless will not be under that rookie salary forever and will want more money.

lee has incentive to take less
he loves new york, he said he wants to b here when things turn around.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Terrible deal. It doesn't make sense at all for us. It doesn't do anything to help with more cap relief in 2010. It maybe makes us a little better for this year but who cares about this year? This deal is only worth it if either Curry's or Jeffries' long term contracts are included.

clumsy

Rotation player
who says lee wont be back in NY after this summer. Portland can't sign everyone on their current squad.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
It just doesn't make sense. I love camby but hes 34 and will not be a piece of the future and fry is an average role player and nothing more. Also, if the trade happens. We only have 2 playable guards on the team. And curry would have no chance to get on the court. And curry has to play so they can build up his trade value.

I would rather have bayless and a pick straight up for dlee. But truthfully we can hold out for better.

if we make this trade, we still have our roster spot (two, if marbury is cut) for guards. so in mid term (February 2009-spring 2010) that deal benefits us. long term, it doesnt hurt us, since we probably won't resign Lee anyway judging on how many rumors we have about Walsh shopping him

that said, i too would prefer Bayless+pick, hurts us this year, but helps us much more later on. I'd like two picks from Denver + a player even more

but till 2010, this Clipper deal would make things really fun for us

Knixy

Benchwarmer
David Lee is our most valuable and most desired player. If you're going to trade him, you MUST also get a team to take Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries.

I love Marcus Camby but he's not the long term solution at Center being 33 years old. Channing Frye stinks and Jerryd Bayless is a combo guard off the bench. We already have that in Nate Robinson.

This trade really does nothing to improve us now and it does nothing for the future. So no thanks, I'd pass.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
it doesnt improve us in the future, i agree. we should better get rid of curry/jeffries, also agree.

but how doesnt it improve us now? we suddenly end up with a top-3 center in the East. who's truly better in the East than Camby, except for D-Howard and maybe Z? young guys like Al Horford, Perkins, Brook Lopez, Okafor aren't at Camby's level yet.
With Camby, we look like a playoff team. My only worry would be how he fits into D'Antoni schemes.
As a bonus, we don't have to watch Q-Rich laying bricks anymore.

As for Bayless+pick deal, Robinson as our only legit backup guard isn't enough. I'd rather give Bayless a chance to develop, than watch Q-Rich for 30-40 minutes a game.
Besides, Bayless and pick = promising players on cheap salary at least till 2012. We do need cheap guys for that 2010 team too, or else say sayonara to our Two-Superstars dream

Ewing

Benchwarmer
I love Camby as well, and I'd love to see him back, but if it meant Lee's departure, I'm against it.
The Clippers should have some sense and make things easier for us, I mean, we got Mobley from them and he retired, so they should let Camby go, their season is lost and they could recover Kaman to the lineup.
So I'd give them an expiring contract (Rose) and 1st round pick, if we could involve Q-Rich in the package, better yet.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
the deal is

New York Gets:
Marcus Camby

-and-

Channing Frye

Portland Gets:

David Lee

Clippers Get:

Q-Rich

* Thats a great deal and i would do it in a heartbeat, it frees up cap for us; and we et that Center we desperately need, who could run the floor rebound and block shots in dominate fashion, and Channing Frye who is perfect for us off the bench.....then trading Curry for anybody wont really matter cause we got our Center

the reason Walsh hasn't confirmed the talks have been going on is because throughout his career he never talked about deals that haven't happened yet like the Harrington deal or Z-Bo deal, i have a feeling this happens relatively soon....

rick700

Rookie
I love Camby as well, and I'd love to see him back, but if it meant Lee's departure, I'm against it.
The Clippers should have some sense and make things easier for us, I mean, we got Mobley from them and he retired, so they should let Camby go, their season is lost and they could recover Kaman to the lineup.
So I'd give them an expiring contract (Rose) and 1st round pick, if we could involve Q-Rich in the package, better yet.

I love lee, but the fact is he is going to be gone before the deadline, the question is when and for who. They are going to wait to the summer to trade curry to build up his value, so they have to trade lee in case they cannot dump currys contract.

That said... The camby trade makes us very weak in the backcourt and creates a logjam in the frontcourt. The knicks would not let that happen unless they were dumping a bad contract and lee is not a bad contract. Qrich sucks, but he will not be on the books in 2010 so it doesnt matter.

There is no way this trade goes down as currently constituted unless bayless or rodriquez are included or unless a first rounder is added. Lee has too much value not to get a player for the future in the deal. Walsh is playing for 2010 and if he wants camby for the future they can sign him in 2010 and trade lee for young talent now....Just think about it!!!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
the deal is

New York Gets:
Marcus Camby

-and-

Channing Frye

Portland Gets:

David Lee

Clippers Get:

Q-Rich

* Thats a great deal and i would do it in a heartbeat, it frees up cap for us; and we et that Center we desperately need, who could run the floor rebound and block shots in dominate fashion, and Channing Frye who is perfect for us off the bench.....then trading Curry for anybody wont really matter cause we got our Center

the reason Walsh hasn't confirmed the talks have been going on is because throughout his career he never talked about deals that haven't happened yet like the Harrington deal or Z-Bo deal, i have a feeling this happens relatively soon....

How does this deal free up cap space (Q Rich expires next year)? I love Camby but he is not the Center for us in the future. Giving up Lee for Camby is not worth it to me. All we get is a better Center for this year, and that's it. Does that really matter? Plus, Lee is a valuable player. He could come off the bench for us in 2010. We will need players like him to win a championship. Every team does. The only acceptable Lee trade is for quality young players that can help us in the future AND removing Jeffries' or Curry's long-term contracts.

A side note. The NJ Nets have sent Sean Williams to the D-League. Does that mean we can sign him to a contract now? If so, we should get him immediately. He has his problems, but I still think he can be a signifcant contributor to the Knicks in D'Antoni's system. He's extremely athletic and one of the best shot-blockers in the league and can run the floor well.

KBlack25

Starter
I've said it repeatedly on this board, that the reason this team is in turmoil in the first place is because Isiah made trades for the sake of making trades. This sounds kind of like one of those deals, where we mortgage one of our brightest and flourishing stars for an aging vet (Marcus Camby - though I do love Camby no homo) and a center who barely gets minutes that we've already had and traded (Channing Frye). I think this team needs to stay put until a true good trade comes by that definitely helps us, preferably one that doesn't involve losing Nate, Lee or Chandler.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Lee is good but alot of you guys are overstating his abilities, just a little. He's a good role player. I wouldn't say he's our brightest star. That title goes to Al Harrington and Wilson Chandler. Even Nate Robinson is more explosive then Lee. Lee is good, not taking anything away from him, but he is expendable.

Camby can do more in the paint defensively then Lee can. And let's face it, Camby, Frye and Jeffries (yes I included Jeffries) will give us some defensive stopping power. I also like the idea of ridding our selves of Richardson. As far as Curry, his days are numbered, as specially if this trade goes through.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
My main problem is the shooting guard position. We will need to sign another player. Right now its lookin like this

Duhon/Nate R
Q-Rich/Nate R

What were gonna have to do is this

Duhon/Nate R
Chandler/Nate R

Whatever happened to Stackhouse? If we signed him I would like this trade more.

Duhon
Stackhouse
Chandler
Harrington
Camby

Bench: Nate Robinson, Tim Thomas, Jared Jeffries, Channing Frye

Camby blocks more shots per game then our entire team.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
You guys are missing the bigger picture here. How does this trade help us for the future? All this trade does is make us a better team this year. Is getting the 8th seed this year really worth it? This trade doesn't help with our cap situation for 2010. In case nobody realized, we will still need role players and good bench players in 2010.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
This trade might not help us for 2010 but it doesnt make us worse...you made a good point though, it doesnt bring us any good role players (Frye is a bum). Camby might be 34 but hes still playing like hes 30. How will he be playing in 2 years? Is Camby gonna be a Mutombo type, will he be a good shot blocker and rebounder until the day he retires? Yes, I could see Camby being a good backup for another 6 or 7 years the way hes playing now.

Top 5 Rebounders

1. Dwight Howard, ORL 13.6
2. Marcus Camby, LAC 13.5
3. Andris Biedrins, GS 11.9
4. Troy Murphy, IND 11.8
5. David Lee, NY 11.0

*Cambys averaging 21 rebounds per game over the last 4 games

Top 5 Shot Blockers

1. Dwight Howard, ORL 3.47
2. Marcus Camby, LAC 2.79
3. Ronny Turiaf, GS 2.21
4. Chris Andersen, DEN 2.04
5. Brook Lopez, NJ 1.94

Camby >> the Knicks

One of the best help defenders in the NBA...and a great rebounder. Cambys not the best 1 on 1 defender, but hes better then David Lee.

What would sell me on this?

LJ has a good point, if were gonna trade Lee make the most of it. If we could get a good young talent who will develop into a good role player....or a high draft pick, I would make this trade.