Melo Trade Rumors

JVG helping out our cause by saying Melo is a bad fit for Houston (i.e., you're not going to win with 2 of your 3 star players being bad at defense).

tiger0330

Legend
He'll be better than Ryno, question is how much better. Warriors retained their core and improved some by adding Bell and Young. If the Rox got Paul George I still don't think that would be enough to beat the Warriors.

He'll be better than Ryno, question is how much better. Warriors retained their core and improved some by adding Bell and Young. If the Rox got Paul George I still don't think that would be enough to beat the Warriors.

True. Which begs the question, why the heck would anyone want to be the team that receives Ryan Anderson's contract. Anderson's defense is so bad, Melo is actually an improvement compared to him.

mafra

Legend
Rockets' CEO Tad Brown announced on Monday that owner Leslie Alexander has put the team up for sale.
Alexander bought the team for $85 million back in 1993, and Forbes recently valued the franchise at roughly $1.65 billion, so he figures to get a very nice return on investment here. The Clippers sold for $2 billion back in 2014, and more recently we saw smaller market teams such as the Bucks ($550 million in 2014) and Hawks ($850 million in 2015) sell for less, but considering the Rockets (a big market franchise) just landed Chris Paul and inked both James Harden and Daryl Morey to long-term extensions, this team will likely sell closer to that $2 billion figure.

Kiyaman

Legend
Rockets' CEO Tad Brown announced on Monday that owner Leslie Alexander has put the team up for sale.
Alexander bought the team for $85 million back in 1993, and Forbes recently valued the franchise at roughly $1.65 billion, so he figures to get a very nice return on investment here. The Clippers sold for $2 billion back in 2014, and more recently we saw smaller market teams such as the Bucks ($550 million in 2014) and Hawks ($850 million in 2015) sell for less, but considering the Rockets (a big market franchise) just landed Chris Paul and inked both James Harden and Daryl Morey to long-term extensions, this team will likely sell closer to that $2 billion figure.

Yep .. getting Melo to replace Ryan 3 yr contract would entice a buyer to spend $2 Billion .. CP3 / Harden / Melo

tiger0330

Legend
The curse of PJ. There's a team, Portland, that actually wants him and we can't trade him there because of his NTC. If I were Melo, I'd lay it on the line, trade me or buy me out, I have no intention of staying in NY. Knicks will take that Ryno, cap space and 2020 pick as their best option.

Broadway

All Star
The curse of PJ. There's a team, Portland, that actually wants him and we can't trade him there because of his NTC. If I were Melo, I'd lay it on the line, trade me or buy me out, I have no intention of staying in NY. Knicks will take that Ryno, cap space and 2020 pick as their best option.

According to Woj that's exactly what he and his team are settling on, neither are appealing but ultimately Melo needs to go any way possible. It's not healthy for this franchise to carry on like this, it sends a very bad message going forward for what we're trying to build on.

I'm taking all news regarding a Melo trade, even from Woj, with a grain of salt. People keep predicting things as if this is a reasonable situation that you can predict. If Mills and Dolan (I really doubt Perry gets much say in this) were going to do Ryan Anderson and a 2020 1st round pick, I'm pretty sure this trade would not have turned into Portland's players publicly recruiting Melo.

Broadway

All Star
I'm taking all news regarding a Melo trade, even from Woj, with a grain of salt. People keep predicting things as if this is a reasonable situation that you can predict. If Mills and Dolan (I really doubt Perry gets much say in this) were going to do Ryan Anderson and a 2020 1st round pick, I'm pretty sure this trade would not have turned into Portland's players publicly recruiting Melo.

Well the trade talks may have expanded to teams that have interest in Melo but understand it was only a couple mos ago PDX players were recruiting Paul George hard, how did that turn out for them? I think in PDX case they don't want to make an adversary potentially better in an already improving WC.

Also let's cut the crap with Melo won't make such and such team better, if that's the case all the more reason for us not to be holding on to him and would only speak to his value being suspect/low. If Melo can't help the Rockets become a legitimate threat then what are we expecting to receive in return for him?

I think any reasonable basketball mind knows the only 2 teams Melo could possibly go to, to dethrone the Dubs are Cleveland and maybe the Spurs. Cleveland would return just as much yuck in a trade and Spurs aren't a viable trading partner.

Really who cares who Melo makes worse or better once he's traded. It's not a debate Knick fans shouldn't entertain, it's meaningless on every level because we're not looking to trade him for these reasons per say

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It will be interesting to see what Les gets for the team, Texas is football country, Friday Night Lights, not bball country. Attendance is no where near what it is in bball mecca's like LA and NY so I doubt the Rox value is anywhere close to 1.5B, I think if Les is willing to accept it, the sale price will be closer to 1B than 1.5B

An interesting variation of the Melo to Houston trade I saw was including Quinn and Capela in the trade. Ryno, 2020 pick, Capela, NG contracts to the Knicks. Melo Quinn to the Rox.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
It will be interesting to see what Les gets for the team, Texas is football country, Friday Night Lights, not bball country. Attendance is no where near what it is in bball mecca's like LA and NY so I doubt the Rox value is anywhere close to 1.5B, I think if Les is willing to accept it, the sale price will be closer to 1B than 1.5B.

I kind of agree with you but then again what he has working for him...league market, Marquee star(s), and more importantly recent selling of teams which is usually on the higher end of closing costs when selling. I mean Harden's extension alone is $225mil worth of value if not more based on multiplier of earnings. In the end it'll probably sell for $1.5-2bil based on trends, sports ownership is an exclusive club like no other

mafra

Legend
I think the problem with taking RYNO is you are committing to an extra year (and perhaps 2 more years) of a big salary cap hit.

In other words, ROX need to surrender an asset to "dump" Anderson alone. Then, need to give NY an asset for Melo.

Ryno, Capelo, 2020 1st and right to swap picks in 2021 and 2022.
This would be my offer if they want us to eat Ryno and give them Melo (and KOQ).

Broadway

All Star
I think the problem with taking RYNO is you are committing to an extra year (and perhaps 2 more years) of a big salary cap hit.

In other words, ROX need to surrender an asset to "dump" Anderson alone. Then, need to give NY an asset for Melo.

Ryno, Capelo, 2020 1st and right to swap picks in 2021 and 2022.
This would be my offer if they want us to eat Ryno and give them Melo (and KOQ).

We're not getting that for Melo, just like the asking price for #kporzee we didn't get. If this was gettable "NO THIRD-FORUTH TEAM IS NEEDED", a deal would've been completed by now. Rockets aren't giving up Capela.

The rationale on Ryno's contract in comparison to Melo doesn't quite work either. Yeah it's true Ryno's extends longer than Melo's but Rockets take the higher cap hit for 2yrs plus eat the kicker which creates a push in total value of contracts between the two players.

I look at this a little differently, if we keep Melo do fans realize we're actually surrendering rights to be a Top 3 worst team in the league? This pick is in play too, whether fans want to think about it now or think about it too late later. This means no chance at Porter or whoever else emerges from now til then including overseas darlings

tiger0330

Legend
We're not getting that for Melo, just like the asking price for #kporzee we didn't get. If this was gettable "NO THIRD-FORUTH TEAM IS NEEDED", a deal would've been completed by now. Rockets aren't giving up Capela.

The rationale on Ryno's contract in comparison to Melo doesn't quite work either. Yeah it's true Ryno's extends longer than Melo's but Rockets take the higher cap hit for 2yrs plus eat the kicker which creates a push in total value of contracts between the two players.

I look at this a little differently, if we keep Melo do fans realize we're actually surrendering rights to be a Top 3 worst team in the league? This pick is in play too, whether fans want to think about it now or think about it too late later. This means no chance at Porter or whoever else emerges from now til then including overseas darlings
There's a window to trade him with him agreeing to waive his NTC for HOU or CLE. IMO, get Ryno and the pick, better yet add Capela for Quinn which fits Mill's youth movement. Like you say an added benefit is the Knicks are probably worse with Ryno than with Melo enhancing our draft chances next year and we'll have that 2020 pick. Plenty of time to get this trade done and I'm glad Mills/Perry are being good horse traders by looking at all options but by the middle of next month no other deals surface the Knicks should pull the trigger on this. Ryno can be traded in the future.

This is the Knicks. If we do something, it will be bad.

When push comes to shove, Melo is going to realize that playing anywhere else is preferable for him than being stuck another season with us. If Houston's best offer is Ryan Anderson and a 2020 1st round pick, we should pass. Put the ball in Melo's court to expand his teams list. It's for one season and then he can decline his player option and go wherever they have made cap space for him.

Yeah, that 2020 pick is better than nothing, but it's not enough to jump on right now when the season doesn't start for 3 months.

Broadway

All Star
This is the Knicks. If we do something, it will be bad.

When push comes to shove, Melo is going to realize that playing anywhere else is preferable for him than being stuck another season with us. If Houston's best offer is Ryan Anderson and a 2020 1st round pick, we should pass. Put the ball in Melo's court to expand his teams list. It's for one season and then he can decline his player option and go wherever they have made cap space for him.

Yeah, that 2020 pick is better than nothing, but it's not enough to jump on right now when the season doesn't start for 3 months.

Melo is not declining his PO of $27mil + kicker, he'll spin it right back to fulfilling his contract in NYC the place he's "always loved and considered home." The only blow hard pipe scenario is Lakers and linking with Bron but with PG in play that's too weighty a gamble on Melo's part. He's taking his money.

It's real simple fellas as of right now if Melo were to be extended on his current deal out to 3yrs beyond PO, the total value of his contract is probably about $100-125mil(give or take slight pay cut/raise for a lengthened financial future). This is actually what he'd prefer at present through a trade.

If he plays another season with us in a mitigated role of sorts aging another yr, he's not getting $100+ 4yrs from any team on the open market other than maybe the Lakers/Cavs if space is available. Matter of fact only a few teams will have natural cap space to begin with and at that stage in his career he's looking to land on a winner. The winners have to have cap space and so many don't at the moment. He'll opt in and become a free agent the following season maybe striking a deal like Gallo received 3yrs $65mil from a top tier team that may have space in the next 2yrs. I don't know why you guys think someone would opt out of a $30mil contract because if that's the case he just gave up what he could've accomplished 3yrs ago when he was a free agent...remember "No One Walks Away From $30-40mil To Win" that was spewed over and over?

One more dark horse is a team like Philly if they produce a quick come up he can stay close to home and possibly get paid there but they are such a super reach.

Melo is not declining his PO of $27mil + kicker, he'll spin it right back to fulfilling his contract in NYC the place he's "always loved and considered home." The only blow hard pipe scenario is Lakers and linking with Bron but with PG in play that's too weighty a gamble on Melo's part. He's taking his money.

It's real simple fellas as of right now if Melo were to be extended on his current deal out to 3yrs beyond PO, the total value of his contract is probably about $100-125mil(give or take slight pay cut/raise for a lengthened financial future). This is actually what he'd prefer at present through a trade.

If he plays another season with us in a mitigated role of sorts aging another yr, he's not getting $100+ 4yrs from any team on the open market other than maybe the Lakers/Cavs if space is available. Matter of fact only a few teams will have natural cap space to begin with and at that stage in his career he's looking to land on a winner. The winners have to have cap space and so many don't at the moment. He'll opt in and become a free agent the following season maybe striking a deal like Gallo received 3yrs $65mil from a top tier team that may have space in the next 2yrs. I don't know why you guys think someone would opt out of a $30mil contract because if that's the case he just gave up what he could've accomplished 3yrs ago when he was a free agent...remember "No One Walks Away From $30-40mil To Win" that was spewed over and over?

One more dark horse is a team like Philly if they produce a quick come up he can stay close to home and possibly get paid there but they are such a super reach.

Melo is going to have give on something or Houston is going to have to generate a better return for us.

Otherwise, Melo, we'll see you in Hell!...for up to 2 more years, rotting on our roster.

mafra

Legend

It's simple math, really. Why would NYK take on a longer bad contact? 3 years and 60 mil vs maybe 1 year at 25 or possibly 2 years at 54 mil?

Either way, why bring in 19 mil on the 2019-2020 books?

We were in running for worst record a few years ago, with Melo. So why would keeping Melo over Ryno prohibit us from that? If Melo is as worthless as so many claim, and given recent history, we might finish 4th (then hope for lottery luck).

Nobody catching BKLYN and ATL anyway, given their worthless rosters.

It's simple: HOU surrenders an asset for NY taking on that terrible contract and they give up an asset for Melo.

Otherwise, I keep Melo and hope to get something at trade deadline or hope he opts out. If not, then I revisit dealing the expiring contract next summer. I prefer 2 years of Melo over 3 of Ryno.

Trading for a bad contract, without much incentive, is terronly for business.

Broadway

All Star
Melo is going to have give on something or Houston is going to have to generate a better return for us.

Otherwise, Melo, we'll see you in Hell!...for up to 2 more years, rotting on our roster.

I could be wrong but I just don't see a 34yr old aging star walking away from nearly $30mil. Otoh I get it where we stand but we also run the risk of ruining a great rebuild while ticking off potential free agents in the future based on how we handle this.