New York Knicks - 2018 Draft

tiger0330

Legend
Nits and 9 would get it done maybe not for the number one to grab Ayton but I could see SAC trading the second for that deal and Orlando the sixth for sure. I don't think the Knicks trade Nits though.

Mike1989

Rookie
Nits and 9 would get it done maybe not for the number one to grab Ayton but I could see SAC trading the second for that deal and Orlando the sixth for sure. I don't think the Knicks trade Nits though.

I think Sacramento would want our first round pick next year to make up for them missing their first round pick.

Orlando could certainly be tempted by a trade back because they can land Ntilikina to pair with Fournier, use Isaac and Gordon at the forward spots, and use the 9th pick on the best player available.

A wild card for a trade back could be Memphis. If they want to turn around their team quickly a deal centering around Parsons and 4 coming to us, for say Hardaway and Lee/Thomas or Lee and Thomas, plus perhaps a protected future first round pick. That could be another way to move up because they could use a pro ready guy like Mikal Bridges or Wendell Carter.

Broadway

All Star

I think Sacramento would want our first round pick next year to make up for them missing their first round pick.

Orlando could certainly be tempted by a trade back because they can land Ntilikina to pair with Fournier, use Isaac and Gordon at the forward spots, and use the 9th pick on the best player available.

A wild card for a trade back could be Memphis. If they want to turn around their team quickly a deal centering around Parsons and 4 coming to us, for say Hardaway and Lee/Thomas or Lee and Thomas, plus perhaps a protected future first round pick. That could be another way to move up because they could use a pro ready guy like Mikal Bridges or Wendell Carter.

Naaaaahhh my example actually was pushing it to be honest. Only reason I mentioned Mavs is "jump Orando", "fit off ball to DSJ", and "they admitted they would've selected Knits had we not"...otherwise getting them to agree would be quite difficult. They're on record(Don Nelson Jr.) already saying they're not looking to trade down because they like who they'll be in position to get at 5. I think they want Bamba from what I'm hearing.

We're not trading Knits and #9 and moving into the Top 4 whatsoever! Memphis can do such a deal(dumping Parsons) without sacrificing the #4 pick. If Memphis comes off #4 it's to acquire more assets in this draft and possibly future. I really wouldn't want Parsons in such a deal because it ruins 2019 Cap Space(which we need to protect)

Knits didn't show enough to warrant such a trade out risk. Top 3 Pick has real "premium value" in a deep draft. Orlando is an outside shot but it would literally be a draft day trade

Mike1989

Rookie
Naaaaahhh my example actually was pushing it to be honest. Only reason I mentioned Mavs is "jump Orando", "fit off ball to DSJ", and "they admitted they would've selected Knits had we not"...otherwise getting them to agree would be quite difficult. They're on record(Don Nelson Jr.) already saying they're not looking to trade down because they like who they'll be in position to get at 5. I think they want Bamba from what I'm hearing.

We're not trading Knits and #9 and moving into the Top 4 whatsoever! Memphis can do such a deal(dumping Parsons) without sacrificing the #4 pick. If Memphis comes off #4 it's to acquire more assets in this draft and possibly future. I really wouldn't want Parsons in such a deal because it ruins 2019 Cap Space(which we need to protect)

Knits didn't show enough to warrant such a trade out risk. Top 3 Pick has real "premium value" in a deep draft. Orlando is an outside shot but it would literally be a draft day trade

Parsons will earn $24 million in 2018/19 and $25 million in 2019/2020
- A deal involving Hardaway and Lee actually frees up $5 million in cap space in 2018 and 2019. This deal sees us free up more cap space in 2020 because Hardaway could opt into a near $19 million pay day for 2020/21.
- A deal involving Thomas and Lee would see us reduce our cap space by $4 million in 2018 and $5 million in 2019, however all three deals are off the books in 2020.

What this would come down to is whether we think we are going to be a major free agent player in 2019. Next season is potentially going to be really tough for us because KP could miss a large chunk of the season if not the season entirely. So unless Fizdale works his magic and manages to get a KP-less team to the play offs, or gets us to around .500 and shows enough potential, then I would say the top free agents might not consider us as a viable option in 2019. However, if we have a strong 2019-2020 season with a returning KP could potentially attract free agents in 2020. So I would consider 2020 a more realistic recruiting year than 2019 purely because of what happened to KP.

For me, I don't see a trade into the top five being viable. The only reason I suggested Memphis is that adding Tim Hardaway and Courtney Lee would give them two proven veterans to help Mike Conley and Marc Gasol. With the #9 pick they could pick the best overall talent which could be a 3 and D player like Mikal Bridges, or perhaps a PF/C option like Wendell Carter. This type of deal would involve Memphis convincing themselves they can return to the play offs and continue the grit and grind era, but some teams do try shortcuts and in their case I could see them wanting to maximize whatever Conley and Gasol have left in the tank unless they decide to blow it all up.

Another option could be the Dallas Mavericks since they don't intend to tank again. They will likely see Dennis Smith Jr and Harrison Barnes as part of their long term future. The #9 pick could see them add another piece to the puzzle like Mikal Bridges or Wendell Carter. We might be able to tempt them with Tim Hardaway because that would give them another a near 20 a night guy to pair with Barnes and Smith, factor in any big name free agent addition like Jordan or Cousins and potentially they could field a fairly well rounded starting five like: Smith, Hardaway, Mikal, Barnes, Cousins - while utilizing Nowitzki as sixth man in his final years. Alternatively use Mikal off the bench, move Barnes down to SF and use Nowitzki at PF. Alternatively we could boost their veteran presence with Lee and Thomas in exchange for Matthews. They would be adding a SG/SF and SF/PF duo to their starting unit and/or bench unit. As for us the appeal of adding Matthews is he's an expiring contract and would see us free up $18 million in cap space for 2019! Granted we might need to throw in that future first round pick and perhaps our second rounder from this year, heck throw them Mudiay or Burke if we really have too. But that could be worth the sacrifice in order to move up to fifth in the draft because that pick could be JJJ, Bamba, Bagley or Doncic. Or we move up for Trae or Porter if we really love them.

With all that said, I am not convinced we are going to make a move up in the draft. We will probably stay at #9 and pick the best possible player. However, I could see us trying to move some veterans to : a - gain another first round pick, and b - clear the way for the young players to get more minutes next season. But I don't see a big move up for us even though it would be exciting to see us do it for a reasonable cost because the top five is strong this year.

Broadway

All Star
My bad Mike not reading correctly on what was being offered by us to Memphis, good analysis. Not sure if Memphis is in the business to take on a little extra salary for a fluff playoff run but I see what you were going for.

I think we?re in agreement, it?s going to be quite tough for us to move up that high. #4-5 spots may not seem like much but it is, which is why we very rarely see move up/down trades(lottery positions), like what 5-6 times in the past 20-25yrs?

tiger0330

Legend
Did anyone know Sexton had a workout yesterday with the Knicks? Pretty underwhelming coverage of him compared to others like Mikal and Trae. Knicks don't seem likely to draft him after reading that comment that the Knicks aren't sure Sexton is better than anyone they have now.

Did anyone know Sexton had a workout yesterday with the Knicks? Pretty underwhelming coverage of him compared to others like Mikal and Trae. Knicks don't seem likely to draft him after reading that comment that the Knicks aren't sure Sexton is better than anyone they have now.

Yeah, I don?t think we?re considering taking Sexton anymore. Fizdale?s enthusiasm for development of our current trio of PGs seems to have eliminated the need to add another PG except Trae Young.

Mike1989

Rookie

Smokescreen?

Everyone knows we love Trae Young but think he'll be gone by #9. Likewise we've been linked to Mikal Bridges for a long time. However Sexton has only been tipped as a possible pick by the odd person here and there, but he has been speculated as being someone that could go to the Cavaliers or higher. Maybe we don't want people to now we really like him? Let everyone think we want Trae and Mikal when in actual fact we want Sexton if he's there.

If he received more coverage it could be the case we are trying to misdirect teams on who we really want (e.g. Trae, Mikal, Carter etc).

mafra

Legend
Carter working out with NYK today. I think NYK privately wish Young, Porter, or Carter slip to 9. I believe if all 3 are gone, then Mikhal or Miles is the pick. Sexton is a more athletic version of Knits... so they probably pass on Sexton bc we have a still-sprouting Frank.

mafra

Legend
Another reason to avoid Young or Sexton:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...ving-reportedly-told-cavaliers-162250856.html

Kyrie Irving reportedly told Cavaliers teammates of desire to join Knicks. Should Celtics worry about his 2019 free agency?

After requesting a trade from the Cavaliers, Kyrie Irving reportedly ?very badly? wanted to join the Knicks. Instead, Cleveland sent him to the Celtics, a team not on his initially reported list (though maybe actually an Irving-approved destination).

Anyway, Irving is with Boston now and seems happy. But he?ll also become an unrestricted free agent in 2019.

Will he re-sign with the Celtics?

Chris Mannix of Yahoo Sports:

I think they?re scared and should be scared to some degree of Kyrie Irving walking in 2019. I know he had a great year, but you know there are people in Cleveland that will tell you that the Knicks should be considered a real threat for Kyrie Irving. Because Kyrie had talked about it, about playing with the Knicks with some players in that Cleveland locker room from what I was told.

You know things can change. Obviously, you go to Boston. You become the face of the franchise. You?re on a winning team. Maybe the mindset has changed significantly.

I tend to believe the mindset has changed. Irving wanted to leave LeBron James and Cleveland. I don?t think he has the same desire to leave Boston. The Celtics would present a strong pitch, as they?re clearly a team on the rise. They went so far without Irving in these playoffs. Imagine what they?ll do with him next season.

However, it?s entirely possible Irving ? who grew up in New Jersey ? views the Knicks favorably in 2019. They project to have major cap space that summer. Just because Irving isn?t itching to leave the Celtics now doesn?t mean they?ll be his top choice when he can select among all teams.

Irving would take a huge loss with a contract extension, so there?s no realistic way to resolve this until 2019 free agency. Boston must either wait until then and hope to re-sign him or preemptively trade him.

In the meantime, the Celtics must determine what to do with their other point guards ? Terry Rozier (extension-eligible this offseason) and Marcus Smart (restricted free agent this offseason). They?re good players in their own rights, but also potentially hedges against Irving leaving.

?????

Is this crazy? Far-fetched?

Remember, he left LeBron bc he won a title and now wanted to be ?the man? on his own title pursuit. In a way, BOs?s success without Kyrie might come back to haunt them.

As for leaving a young ?super team?.... well, remember... this cat is different (his flat earth theory).

Coming home to play with KP, Knits, a lottery pick this year and another next... hmm... we shall see in 13 months.

Another reason to avoid Young or Sexton:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...ving-reportedly-told-cavaliers-162250856.html

Kyrie Irving reportedly told Cavaliers teammates of desire to join Knicks. Should Celtics worry about his 2019 free agency?

After requesting a trade from the Cavaliers, Kyrie Irving reportedly ?very badly? wanted to join the Knicks. Instead, Cleveland sent him to the Celtics, a team not on his initially reported list (though maybe actually an Irving-approved destination).

Anyway, Irving is with Boston now and seems happy. But he?ll also become an unrestricted free agent in 2019.

Will he re-sign with the Celtics?

Chris Mannix of Yahoo Sports:

I think they?re scared and should be scared to some degree of Kyrie Irving walking in 2019. I know he had a great year, but you know there are people in Cleveland that will tell you that the Knicks should be considered a real threat for Kyrie Irving. Because Kyrie had talked about it, about playing with the Knicks with some players in that Cleveland locker room from what I was told.

You know things can change. Obviously, you go to Boston. You become the face of the franchise. You?re on a winning team. Maybe the mindset has changed significantly.

I tend to believe the mindset has changed. Irving wanted to leave LeBron James and Cleveland. I don?t think he has the same desire to leave Boston. The Celtics would present a strong pitch, as they?re clearly a team on the rise. They went so far without Irving in these playoffs. Imagine what they?ll do with him next season.

However, it?s entirely possible Irving ? who grew up in New Jersey ? views the Knicks favorably in 2019. They project to have major cap space that summer. Just because Irving isn?t itching to leave the Celtics now doesn?t mean they?ll be his top choice when he can select among all teams.

Irving would take a huge loss with a contract extension, so there?s no realistic way to resolve this until 2019 free agency. Boston must either wait until then and hope to re-sign him or preemptively trade him.

In the meantime, the Celtics must determine what to do with their other point guards ? Terry Rozier (extension-eligible this offseason) and Marcus Smart (restricted free agent this offseason). They?re good players in their own rights, but also potentially hedges against Irving leaving.

?????

Is this crazy? Far-fetched?

Remember, he left LeBron bc he won a title and now wanted to be ?the man? on his own title pursuit. In a way, BOs?s success without Kyrie might come back to haunt them.

As for leaving a young ?super team?.... well, remember... this cat is different (his flat earth theory).

Coming home to play with KP, Knits, a lottery pick this year and another next... hmm... we shall see in 13 months.

I?ll believe it when I see it. I just can?t imagine any star player coming to play here unless they have no other options. Maybe if we achieve a complete 180 culture reversal this coming season.

mafra

Legend
I?ll believe it when I see it. I just can?t imagine any star player coming to play here unless they have no other options. Maybe if we achieve a complete 180 culture reversal this coming season.

The difference being this star player would be coming home, like LeBron leaving MIA for CLE.

Read online the rumor that the Suns could be looking to trade up from their 16th pick to have a shot at Trae Young, who they are looking to work out. Suns already likely to take Ayton with their other 1st round pick at #1 overall.

mafra

Legend
Young probably the closest to a Steve Nash prospect as we?ve seen... The kid can shoot and pass... elite level talent shootIng andpassing the ball. He?s also a suburb dribbler... The kid is knocked for his defense and athleticism.... but his motor, vision, and skill set makes him
A Nash clone.

Young, Boooker, Jax, and Ayton would be a nice, solid foundation.

I would trade 9, our second next year, and a bad contract for 16 and their first next year (heck, I might even ask for their second this year). If they want Young bad enough, and he?s available at 9, then we might get this. Their pick next year could be a top 10.

So fascinating to see what will happen in the 19th. With top 5 looking like Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Bamba, Jax.... then there?s Porter, Carter, Young remain.... and those 3 were considered the top High School players in the draft.

As is always the case with us NYK fans... unfortunately this is an 8-player (lottery prospects) draft... In other words, these 8 were the blue chip, highest ceiling, greatest odds to become franchise type dawgs.

Obviously, then, we know all of those 8 will go 1-8. Just to taunt us and mock us.

Of course, this doesn?t mean those 8 can?t bust, or that they?re wart-free, or that there aren?t a few others in this draft who will turn heads and be stars...

The point I?m getting to is that the 1 benefit sitting at 9 is this:

If a surprise pick busts the top 8... then NYK can still grab a legit lottery stud... we won?t have to fret about picking ?the wrong guy? bc we simply grabbed the only 1 left.

AND, I believe those 8 are the only guys a team would even consider trading up for. So, if Bridges or Sexton or somebody else sneaks into the top 8... a legit prospects remains on the board and trading up to 9 is manageable (for teams in the teens).

But, brace yourself for the reality that all 8 will be gone, nobody will want to trade up, and despite having the first pick if the rest of the bunch... we?ll somehow botch it.

Mike1989

Rookie
If we did get a phone call from the Suns asking us to trade our #9 pick for their #16 pick plus other bits, the one asset I would want in return is TJ Warren. With the way the Suns are setup they have Booker at SG, Jackson for SF, and possibly Chriss at PF to pair with new draft picks Young and Ayton. That could make Warren acquirable in a trade. He's on a reasonable contract at $11.75m for 18-19, $10.8m in 2019-2020, $11.75m in 2020-21, amd $12.69m in 2021-22. They are also fully guaranteed seasons so no worries about him opting out. Year on year he has improved as a scorer and averaged pretty much 20 a night for Phoenix last season. Not much of a three point shooter but perhaps that can improve?

The very least we would get is the #16 pick in this year's draft. So looking at potential prospects we could be able to pick shooting guard prospects like Zhaire Smith and Lonnie Walker, or perhaps a front court prospec like Robert Williams and Omari Spellman. There might be some appeal there.

As for other picks perhaps we could persuade them to give up their own first round pick for next year? However, I suspect that one would come with lottery protection or at least top ten. They do have other future first round picks coming in from Milwaukee but with the protection on 1-3 and 17-30 they probably won't convey that pick until 2020 when it's only protected for the top 7. They also have another pick coming in from Miami in 2021. So if we could get their future first and perhaps one of Milwaukee's or Miami's future first rounders as a future asset for us to stockpile that might be appealing to us.

The alternative to an extra first round pick is an extra prospect. For instance they do have Marquese Chriss (8th pick in 2016) and Dragan Bender (4th pick in 2016). Both are power forward prospects that might fit next to KP when he's healthy. Bender isn't a rim protector or a great rebounder but he does have decent range in his shooting ability and has shown some promise on the defensive end. As for Chriss he does offer rim protection and rebounding, he's not the most polished scorer or shooter but he has shown flashes of potential at that end.

So our core would be: Frank Ntilikina / Walker or Smith / TJ Warren / Chriss or Bender / KP - which is appealing since all five players have upside. Factor in veterans and any further additions and we could be setting ourselves up well for the future if we made that move. In fact I wouldn't be against turning Trae Young into Lonnie Walker/Zhaire Smith, TJ Warren and Marquese Chriss/Dragan Bender because I think that's fair value and gives us a nice trio of young prospects to help our rebuild.

tiger0330

Legend
If we did get a phone call from the Suns asking us to trade our #9 pick for their #16 pick plus other bits, the one asset I would want in return is TJ Warren. With the way the Suns are setup they have Booker at SG, Jackson for SF, and possibly Chriss at PF to pair with new draft picks Young and Ayton. That could make Warren acquirable in a trade. He's on a reasonable contract at $11.75m for 18-19, $10.8m in 2019-2020, $11.75m in 2020-21, amd $12.69m in 2021-22. They are also fully guaranteed seasons so no worries about him opting out. Year on year he has improved as a scorer and averaged pretty much 20 a night for Phoenix last season. Not much of a three point shooter but perhaps that can improve?

The very least we would get is the #16 pick in this year's draft. So looking at potential prospects we could be able to pick shooting guard prospects like Zhaire Smith and Lonnie Walker, or perhaps a front court prospec like Robert Williams and Omari Spellman. There might be some appeal there.

As for other picks perhaps we could persuade them to give up their own first round pick for next year? However, I suspect that one would come with lottery protection or at least top ten. They do have other future first round picks coming in from Milwaukee but with the protection on 1-3 and 17-30 they probably won't convey that pick until 2020 when it's only protected for the top 7. They also have another pick coming in from Miami in 2021. So if we could get their future first and perhaps one of Milwaukee's or Miami's future first rounders as a future asset for us to stockpile that might be appealing to us.

The alternative to an extra first round pick is an extra prospect. For instance they do have Marquese Chriss (8th pick in 2016) and Dragan Bender (4th pick in 2016). Both are power forward prospects that might fit next to KP when he's healthy. Bender isn't a rim protector or a great rebounder but he does have decent range in his shooting ability and has shown some promise on the defensive end. As for Chriss he does offer rim protection and rebounding, he's not the most polished scorer or shooter but he has shown flashes of potential at that end.

So our core would be: Frank Ntilikina / Walker or Smith / TJ Warren / Chriss or Bender / KP - which is appealing since all five players have upside. Factor in veterans and any further additions and we could be setting ourselves up well for the future if we made that move. In fact I wouldn't be against turning Trae Young into Lonnie Walker/Zhaire Smith, TJ Warren and Marquese Chriss/Dragan Bender because I think that's fair value and gives us a nice trio of young prospects to help our rebuild.
Some nice ideas Mike and a good post. You must play a lot of fantasy?

I agree that there is a clear top 8 prospects in this draft, but if we walk away on draft night with Mikal Bridges, I?m still going to be happy. Even if he doesn?t become a star, he?s the kind of player who seems like he would help you win games down the road.