New York Knicks - 2018 Draft

Broadway

All Star
Ayton a beast... perfect fit with hometown team getting 1st pick (something the lottery has an uncanny ability offering moribund teams: think Rose, LeBron, Blake Griffin just to name a few)...

Bagley is a sort of tweeter... really talented but not ideal PF or SF...

Doncic a ball dominant point forward...

Bamba a little thin (with supposedly questionable motor)...

Porter has medical and attitude red flags....

Jax a high floor but lower ceiling (compared to other top prospects in this draft)....

Young really small, not athletic enough, with defensive issues...

Carter gifted offensively and a quality rebounder... but questions about his defense and fact he’s more of a traditional BIG...

Mikhal a solid NBA prospect but is older and smallish and is considered to have a low ceiling...

Sexton a grinder... quality defensive stopper who can penetrate but questions about his jump shot...

Ladies and gents... these are your top 10 prospects!

Think about how GMs botch so many picks... PHI taking Okafor and Fultz over KP and Tatum. Minny took Rubio and Flynn ahead of Curry.

I’d be shocked if somebody in top 8 didn’t get cute and draft a Bridges or Sexton or another prospect not named here.

With so many issues surrounding so many of the prospects in the 3-8 range, and with Sexton, Carter, and both Bridges being safe/boring picks (and fitting modern game)... I think it’s reasonable to expect a Doncic, Porter, Young, Bamba to fall.

Remember, all it takes is for 1 team to balk, or for a team to go in another direction... who can guess a need or BPA another team identifies.

We’ll find out next week.

As for me, I fully expect we get 1 of these: Doncic, Porter, Bamba, Young, Carter, or a Bridges. This isn’t saying much, bc I just named 7 guys... and top 2 will be long gone... but, We may even trade up. I have a funny feeling Doncic or Porter falls. Especially if ARI passes on Doncic, after they hired the kid’s HC.

Fair quick breakdowns on each Top prospect, the thing with Doncic is he fits almost every team drafting in the lottery...which means 8 teams aren't passing on him and those below 8 would make a leap to get him if necessary. His game screams modern NBA, teams are usually high on Euro prospects especially if they're being advertised as possibly the best ever prospect to enter a draft. Mavs/Magic/Bulls will not pass on him assuming their guy is off the board(although he very well "could" be their guy)

Just like last yr some thought Jackson/Ball/Fox/Tatum would slip but they didn't. The guy that did from the draft was Monk(who more than likely resembles Trae if we're going with the size factor) and DSJ, although I don't think he slipped much he was mocked 5-10 but his counterpart would be Porter if we use the medical-attitude issue slant

Guys who more than likely aren't slipping

Doncic
Bamba
Jackson
Bagley

Guys who may be within 2-3 spots of averaging mock spot

Sexton
Bridges
Young

Guys who could slip

Porter
Carter

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Interesting take from Fran, which I'm likely(not concrete) to believe based on other things I'm reading

I don't believe anything coming out of the Mavs camp remembering Cuban and Nelson flew over to Italy to meet Nits when DSJ was their guy all along but it made the Knicks hot to trot for Nits. I see Wally still has his doubts about Nits saying we should draft a PG and he really likes Sexton.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I don't believe anything coming out of the Mavs camp remembering Cuban and Nelson flew over to Italy to meet Nits when DSJ was their guy all along but it made the Knicks hot to trot for Nits. I see Wally still has his doubts about Nits saying we should draft a PG and he really likes Sexton.

I agree with Wally we need a PG and I would snap Sexton up in a second. I have my doubts about Frank as well. Frank seems more suited to perimeter defender...Frank doesn?t even have an NBA handle or shot...thanks fail-Jackson😔

mafra

Legend
I agree. All these reports are simply BS, to conceal true intentions.

I still think we pick Porter or Young, if they fall... or Carter or a Bridges.

mafra

Legend
What I like about a Sexton - Knits backcourt is it gives NY 2 tenacious perimeter defenders and Sexton can penetrate...

tiger0330

Legend
Don't know if you guys saw the ESPN computer Analytics rankings but it rated Trae a boom or bust pick, 2nd biggest bust chance or 5th best AS chance. Mikal 5th best player in the draft, Bagley better than Ayton. I suspected Mikal won't be there when we pick but he was my guy for the combination of need and BAP and this clinches it for me. Trae is a crap shoot, do you really take him when he's got the 2nd highest chance to bust?

Kiyaman

Legend
Does anyone have any news of Miles vs Knox workout for the Knicks on Saturday?
I wish clueless Mills never would have signed BUM Tim Hardaway Jr. .. SG/SF-Lonnie Walker from Miami, and Texas Tech’s Zhaire Smith looked to be two explosive guards in the 2018 draft class.

Last year 2017 Draft-Class were full of explosive PG .. we got one in Frank Knits!
In this year 2018 Draft-Class are full of explosive centers .. in the past decade our Knicks front-office and coaching-staff were clueless of the importance of Centers and PF in lineups to win games .. last season we had 3 decent winning centers we rarely used in the 4th quarters of games, the bad part were we did not have any PF on the Knicks roster last season, and it were especially known when the Knicks opponents were any of the Atlantic Division teams.
Sports media are predicting the Knicks will be a Lottery team in the 2018-19 season because Mr. Tired KP will be out with injury LOL .. the Knicks were a LOTTERY team the past 3 seasons having Tired-KP as a starter LOL .. I believe the Knicks will have a better winning season without KP in the rotation next season.

Carter or Porter may be the perfect PF to Tandem next to Kanter or Quinn or a (no-buyout) Noah's team-leadership in a lineup next season.
Miles or Mikal or Knox would fit perfect as the Knicks SF next season.
I wish we had the Clippers 2 first-round picks at 12 n 13 instead of 9 and 36 !!!

tiger0330

Legend
The best prospect in the 2018 NBA draft is not Deandre Ayton or Luka Doncic. It's Marvin Bagley III.
That assertion is neither a scout's opinion nor a writer's hot take, but rather the conclusion of ESPN's Draft Analytics model, which has been expanded in 2018 to include more information than ever before.

The former Arizona center and the Slovenian point guard are widely regarded as the primary candidates for the Suns' selection at the No. 1 spot, but the model -- based on a variety of criteria -- projects Bagley to have the best average early career of anyone in the class. It also believes Bagley has the best chance among this year's crop of playing at an All-Star level in his first five seasons.
You can read more about ESPN's model here, but the Cliffs Notes version is that it considers, along with basic information like position and age, data from up to five categories for each player:

• College performance
  • International performance
  • Scout ranking
  • AAU/FIBA Juniors performance
  • Combine measurables
We created a model for each of those five categories and then one overarching model that produces our full projection. So what vaults a player like Bagley over his peers? Well for starters, this is not a unanimous decision: Ayton and Doncic both rank higher in ESPN draft analyst Jonathan Givony's Top 100 (what we use for scout rankings), so Bagley had to make up ground in other areas.
And that he did.
First, according to our numbers, Bagley was a touch more productive in college than Ayton, though the two players were remarkably similar statistically.
Both players were extremely valuable to their teams on the offensive end of the court, but in terms of opponent-adjusted defensive rating, Bagley ranked in the 91st percentile among D-I players last year, while Ayton ranked in the 78th. Keep in mind, this is opponent-adjusted rating, so the fact that Duke played tougher opponents than Arizona is factored into the equation here. Offensively they were similar, though Bagley was superior at drawing fouls.
Ultimately, the difference is minor: Bagley ranks fourth while Ayton ranks seventh in our NCAA production component.
Where the real separation occurs is actually prior to when either was in college: it's their AAU numbers. Bagley, playing for his father's Phoenix Phamily team, put up better numbers in most parts of the game relative to Ayton on California Supreme.
Bagley shot better and rebounded and blocked at a higher rate than Ayton. Ultimately, Bagley's AAU box plus-minus ranked in the 93rd percentile of players on his circuit while Ayton was in the 82nd percentile, though it is worth noting that Bagley was in a much higher usage environment than Ayton at that time. Our AAU component ranks Bagley as the third-best player in this class, whereas Ayton is only 13th.
But that information is old, you might be thinking. What do we need those numbers from before college when we have the data from when they were in college? Because one college season isn't a particularly large sample, and looking back a little further increases our information pool. This is something not only we do in our model, but a task some NBA teams are undertaking as well.
And how about Doncic? That's a little more complicated. Though he doesn't overlap with Bagley in any category other than our scout rankings, we've learned enough about the translation of international statistics -- and have the benefit of having some players in our dataset who have played both internationally and in college -- that we can get a sense of how everyone stacks up. Doncic was exceptional in likely the best non-NBA league in the world, but based on his performance at Real Madrid and what we know about Bagley, the Duke star moved ahead of the Slovenian at the top of our overall rankings. Ayton ranks No. 3.
So where does the model come down on some of the other top names in this year's class?
No. 4 Jaren Jackson Jr., PF/C, Michigan State
Overall, the model likes Jackson in spite of what it would consider a lack of star potential. The system believes he is remarkably solid and the most likely player to end up a regular starter -- but not an All-Star -- in the NBA with a 42 percent chance. His shot to reach that next level -- of being an All-Star -- is much lower (8 percent) than someone like Mikal Bridges (15 percent). For teams picking this high, it's hard to pass upside in a star-driven league like the NBA.
No. 5 Mikal Bridges, SF, Villanova
Besides Bagley at No. 1, Bridges is a fairly big call for the model at No. 5. It's only a handful of spots ahead of where many expect him to go, but this early, that makes a big difference. To wrap up the thought above, Bridges' 15 percent All-Star chance makes him second-most likely in the class, behind only Bagley, despite the fact that he quite possibly will be the oldest person selected in the lottery. This is all about his college production: At Villanova he was an efficient scorer with strong ball security and provided both steals and blocks en route to a strong overall defensive rating. From the model's standpoint, looking at his college play, what's not to like?
No. 9 Zhaire Smith, SF, Texas Tech
Smith, an athletic wing, is ranked worse than ninth in our scout, combine and AAU models but makes up for it with his NCAA production. Offensively he gets credit for scoring efficiently in a very tough conference -- though notably with a much lower usage rate than some of his peers -- and for contributing on the offensive glass. But our model likes him for his play at both ends of court, and on defense he produced steals and blocks en route to a strong individual defensive rating.
No. 10 Trae Young, PG, Oklahoma
There's no boom-or-bust prospect in this year's class quite like Young, the divisive player who took college hoops by storm at the beginning of the season before struggling in the second half. Outside of Lonnie Walker IV, whom the model despises, no one has a higher bust percentage (23 percent) than Young in Givony's top 15. But at the same time, the former Oklahoma point guard also has the fifth-best shot at becoming an All-Star (12 percent).
No. 11 Michael Porter Jr., F, Missouri
Another reason for the inclusion of more information this year: Without it, we would have little to go on for someone like Porter, who missed almost all of the Tigers' season due to injury. Porter was ranked sixth in this draft class for his youth performance, but only 15th in combine measurements due at least in part to having a below-average wingspan for his height.
[h=2]NBA Draft Projections -- Top 30[/h]
RANKNAMECOLLEGE/COUNTRYALL-STARSTARTERROLE PLAYERBUST
1Marvin Bagley IIIDuke16%38%35%11%
2Luka DoncicSlovenia14%39%35%12%
3DeAndre AytonArizona12%37%36%15%
4Jaren Jackson JrMichigan State8%42%40%10%
5Mikal BridgesVillanova15%28%45%12%
6Mohamed BambaTexas7%40%41%12%
7Wendell Carter JrDuke10%35%39%16%
8Collin SextonAlabama11%30%38%21%
9Zhaire SmithTexas Tech10%30%45%16%
10Trae YoungOklahoma12%26%39%23%
11Michael Porter JrMissouri9%30%44%17%
12Kevin KnoxKentucky7%32%45%16%
13De'Anthony MeltonUSC10%27%38%25%
14Troy BrownOregon7%30%43%21%
15Keita Bates-DiopOhio State8%23%45%25%
16Mitchell RobinsonNA9%28%40%23%
17Jevon CarterWest Virginia8%24%37%31%
18Shai Gilgeous-AlexanderKentucky4%32%41%24%
19Miles BridgesMichigan State7%24%50%20%
20Robert WilliamsTexas A&M7%26%44%23%
21Jacob EvansCincinnati5%21%48%26%
22Jarred VanderbiltKentucky6%25%41%27%
23Moritz WagnerMichigan6%19%45%31%
24Ray SpaldingLouisville6%22%37%35%
25Goga BitadzeGeorgia8%28%30%34%

I?d be interested to look back on the analytics from last year?s draft. I feel like Ntilikina scored highly last year.

tiger0330

Legend
I’d be interested to look back on the analytics from last year’s draft. I feel like Ntilikina scored highly last year.
The model was improved this year but Nits was the the Trae Young of last year. Highest chance to be an AS but a 59% chance of being a bust and a less than 20% chance of starting compared to Ball or Isaac with over a 40% chance to start Ball and Isaac were the top 2 players in the model last year and Nits was 12th.

mafra

Legend
Knits proved to be an elite defender (according to the advanced stats)... so, he certainl isn?t on the road to Bustville.

Now word out of Philly is that scouts and others soured on Fultz and pleaded with ousted GM Coangelo to work out Tatum and others again.

Broadway

All Star
Very Interesting!!!

The Grizzlies GM(Wallace?) is on record saying he looked pretty good during the private workout and that he passed the "first test" but didn't go through a lot of physical contact and I'm assuming didn't release medical records although the Bulls supposedly have them. Kings threatening to take him at #2 and others believing a promise could've been made by Grizzlies.

Interesting he's all of a sudden becoming the talk of the draft. The workout will be rescheduled....hmmmmmm. I think Mavs definitely threw that news out there...most certainly to get one of the teams above them go after him but his camp doesn't want the medical records out yet, which I bet on this second workout teams will be asking for

During his first Pro Day workout Kings/Grizz/Mavs/Magic/Bulls/Clippers attended and Friday's workout that got cancelled included Suns/Kings/Knicks and a few other lottery teams. Why are the Kings going again after leaking they may take him at #2? Did you not like his "very impressive" workout spoken by Mavs the first time? :rolling::rolling::rolling:

If I had to take a guess based on Bulls having his meds and him holding his workouts in their backyard the promise has come from them, if he's stalling the workout or the rescheduling falls through. If he's healthy and all maturity is there then he's a better Chandler Hutchison(whom the Bulls have made a promise already)

Last edited:

Mike1989

Rookie
Sam Amick of USA Today is reporting that the Kings could take Michael Porter second overall. I think the teams directly below them would be very happy if that scenario occurred because he's been mocked down with Trae Young often outside the top five. If Trae Young goes to Atlanta that certainly helps Memphis, Dallas, Orlando and Chicago because they'll be selecting from Bagley, Bamba, Doncic and JJJ. Granted this scenario hurts us because one of the so-called top prospects don't fall to us at #9 but if we end up with Carter, Mikal, Miles, or Sexton (etc) we should still be okay.

If I was a Kings fan I would be a little bit worried about this news because as talented as Porter is, the concerns over his back are certainly significant enough to make me wonder what his long term impact will be. At #9 I am willing to ignore that because you don't always get former top recruit, tipped first overall pick and potential star talent at #9. But second overall when Bagley, Doncic, JJJ and co are there seems a bit risky. If it works for them great news, but it seems a typical Kings move to make if it does happen.

If Porter and Trae Young are going to jump up in the draft, then it shifts my entire thinking on how things will play out. I know people on here love Doncic, but why take him and the possible complications that come with him over Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, Jaren Jackson, Trae Young, Porter, or Wendell Carter, all of whom seem to be impressing teams in workouts?

The biggest question in my mind is who the hell are the Cavs going to draft? Do they draft best prospect available thinking that Lebron is leaving or do they draft the most NBA ready player in the hopes of making another run? Or, are they going to try to pull another Wiggins for Love type maneuver and try to keep Lebron in the fold that way?

Regardless, I think we?re hoping another team screws up and we take any one of the ?top 8? prospects that falls to us. Otherwise, I think we?re taking Mikal Bridges.

Broadway

All Star
If Porter and Trae Young are going to jump up in the draft, then it shifts my entire thinking on how things will play out. I know people on here love Doncic, but why take him and the possible complications that come with him over Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, Jaren Jackson, Trae Young, Porter, or Wendell Carter, all of whom seem to be impressing teams in workouts?

The biggest question in my mind is who the hell are the Cavs going to draft? Do they draft best prospect available thinking that Lebron is leaving or do they draft the most NBA ready player in the hopes of making another run? Or, are they going to try to pull another Wiggins for Love type maneuver and try to keep Lebron in the fold that way?

Regardless, I think we’re hoping another team screws up and we take any one of the “top 8” prospects that falls to us. Otherwise, I think we’re taking Mikal Bridges.

What "complications" are there with Doncic? Word was sent 2 days ago he's staying in the draft. I had Kings as the team of trepidation from his camp but appears may have been the Hawks. He reportedly wants to play with Bogz on the Kings, they are friends

#Kporzee and his brother were seen sitting front and center watching him during the Euro ABC Finals.

Bridges more than likely is who we'll get unless all this MPJ news is Fake Hustle. If no promise has been made and he conducts another workout without wowing anyone over I stick to my original thought the Bulls are our biggest threat to snatch a wing player Bridges and MPJ slips