New York Knicks - 2018 Draft

Knicks worked out Miles Bridges and Kevin Knox as part of group workout. Have to imagine they are only targets if we trade down or something crazy happens in draft. Our targets at the #9 pick seem to be Mikal Bridges, Porter, Trae Young, and Carter with Mikal Bridges far and away the most likely player to be available to us. Next most likely is Porter in my mind.

tiger0330

Legend
If I read this right the Knicks had 2 scouts at Porters pro day last Fri but they're going to have an individual workout with him this Fri where the brass will probably attend. They don't expect him to fall to 9 but he's been somewhat secretive of his medical records but the article mentions he might have shared them with the Bulls who may be sharing them with other NBA teams. Knicks may not want him if he's there at 9, him falling probably means his medical is a red flag or he wasn't open to sharing them. Maybe Chief being a Mizzou guy has some Intel on Porter that he's heard.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/10/knicks-want-to-see-more-of-best-player-in-draft/

Broadway

All Star
I knew Trae would be a hot ticket come draft time. NBADraft.net now has him mocked at #3. I honestly think some teams are going to have to trade up to get their guy. Take a look at this kid, I know Dallas wants him but then there's the Grizzlies who could go in any direction in this draft

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You hear how he talks the game and the technical aspect in it. Kid is probably going to be phenomenal.

Towns
#kporzee
Embiid

You now have company

tiger0330

Legend
I knew Trae would be a hot ticket come draft time. NBADraft.net now has him mocked at #3. I honestly think some teams are going to have to trade up to get their guy. Take a look at this kid, I know Dallas wants him but then there's the Grizzlies who could go in any direction in this draft

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You hear how he talks the game and the technical aspect in it. Kid is probably going to be phenomenal.

Towns
#kporzee
Embiid

You now have company

Articulate young man but he takes too long to get off that jump shot. Never saw so many big guys that can shoot the 3 coming out of college and it wasn't too long ago that Okafor was picked 3rd because he had the best post game coming out of college but he's been a bust with the game passing him by with all this 3 pt shooting.

Read PHO is hot to move up using their 16th and 31st and Mike1989 mentioned players like Bender and Chriss that might be available for them to move up to draft someone like Trae. Booker and Trae just gives me chills thinking about it.

Broadway

All Star
Articulate young man but he takes too long to get off that jump shot. Never saw so many big guys that can shoot the 3 coming out of college and it wasn't too long ago that Okafor was picked 3rd because he had the best post game coming out of college but he's been a bust with the game passing him by with all this 3 pt shooting.

Read PHO is hot to move up using their 16th and 31st and Mike1989 mentioned players like Bender and Chriss that might be available for them to move up to draft someone like Trae. Booker and Trae just gives me chills thinking about it.

Well if it's a big who has to cover him a la Capelas, Jokics, Howards, Jordans guess what they won't be quick enough to come out and contest and he's getting his shot off anyway no matter how slow...his wingspan is 7'10" no one is blocking or remotely bothering it...lol

Yeah I mentioned Trae and Booker on Twitter(Jan-Feb) as the backcourt combo of sheer nightmare. Don't forget they have Jackson there too. If they can pull it off sure but Trae ain't falling to 9. 16/31/Chriss is a fair offer for 9 but they need to get higher

tiger0330

Legend
Well if it's a big who has to cover him a la Capelas, Jokics, Howards, Jordans guess what they won't be quick enough to come out and contest and he's getting his shot off anyway no matter how slow...his wingspan is 7'10" no one is blocking or remotely bothering it...lol

Yeah I mentioned Trae and Booker on Twitter(Jan-Feb) as the backcourt combo of sheer nightmare. Don't forget they have Jackson there too. If they can pull it off sure but Trae ain't falling to 9. 16/31/Chriss is a fair offer for 9 but they need to get higher
Forgot how big his wing span is and I just heard the vid again and the speed of getting off his shot is what he's been working on, he's gone from .9 secs to .7 so it may get better still.

mafra

Legend
Rudy Gobert has longest wingspan in nBa. Bamba?s is slightly bigger. I would LOVE if Bamba fell to 9... he won?t though.

tiger0330

Legend
Rudy Gobert has longest wingspan in nBa. Bamba’s is slightly bigger. I would LOVE if Bamba fell to 9... he won’t though.
If he shoots the 3 like this in his workouts in which he implies was a great improvement from before he might go as high as 2. Ayton has him as far as a more ready NBA body but I think the kid has the frame to grow.

tiger0330

Legend

If he shoots the 3 like this in his workouts in which he implies was a great improvement from before he might go as high as 2. Ayton has him as far as a more ready NBA body but I think the kid has the frame to grow.
Interesting article about Bamba, his workouts impressed Jonathan Givony enough for him to move him up to 3rd in the draft and say he might be the player with the most upside in the draft. What's holding him back are questions about his motor.

Article mentions this guy Drew Hanlan who is a top trainer who is credited with improving Bamba, Embiid, Tatum and Beals games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-mohamed-bamba-growing-case-best-player-draft

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Nice drop Tig...Bamba is most certainly intriguing. I think the next level will change some guys for the better. College is not the same anymore and I place little stock on negative qwerps that come from it if they fall in the line of "perception"

Hey what are the thoughts here fellas assuming this info is true and not smokescreen

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I wonder what teams want? The sun and the moon, or something more reasonable... like our first next year? Would make sense bc without KP it could be a top 5 selection.

Moving up to top 5 would be worth it for me, bc Doncic, Bagley, Jax and Bamba would all be within reach.

KP, Knits, lottery stud this season and Kyrie next year should be a solid foundation.

For Porter tho? Too much risk to gamble a lottery pick next season. For Doncic, Bamba and Jax... YES!

tiger0330

Legend
Bamba to us, if he and the 2 Bridges are there I take him 10 out of 10 times. Local kid from Harlem a 15min subway ride on the A or 2 train to MSG, it would be a dream matchup for both him and the Knicks. Really impressed with Bamba's intelligence and his knowledge of the game also, sounds like a 20 yr old coach breaking down film.

I don't agree with this guys mock though, has Sexton way too high and redundant to Dunn who is a proven A defender and who looked to polish his offensive skills last season. The Bulls will not select Sexton. Porter at 4, a gamble but maybe if his workouts have been off the charts which I haven't heard.

I wonder if maybe teams are reaching out to us about trading up to get Porter because no one else wants to risk taking him.

mafra

Legend
Bamba would be perfect fit next to KP, and to have his rim protection, along with KP, and Knits on the perimeter... that would be lethal! Won?t happen but I would like it if it did...

Mike1989

Rookie
A mock draft on CBSsports today...

#1 Ayton, Suns
#2 Bagley, Kings
#3 Doncic, Hawks
#4 Porter, Grizzlies
#5 JJJ, Mavericks
#6 Young, Magic
#7 Sexton, Bulls
#8 Miles Bridges, Cavaliers
#9 Mohamed Bamba, Knicks

"The Knicks aren't giving up on Frank Ntilikina or Emmanuel Mudiay just yet, which means they have the luxury of grabbing Mo Bamba -- who surprisingly falls to them at No.9 and is the clear-cut best available prospect on the board at that spot. Bamba's rim-protecting big man with an endless wingspan who, alongside Kristaps Porzingis, will help make up the most terrifyingly long frontcurt in the league."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...young-battle-for-top-pg-in-latest-projection/

If the actual draft mirrors this I would be a very happy guy indeed because Bamba and KP would be an excellent combination to build our front court around.

Broadway

All Star
I don't use any other Mocks to build cases around if they aren't

NBADraft.net
Draft Express by way of ESPN
Bleacher Report
Sports Illustrated

Bamba is a consensus Top 5 pick on almost every mock in sight except CBS Sports. They did what they had to do, took an extreme angle with a Top Prospect to draw buzz to their site. There is no conceivable scenario in which he falls to 9 like NONE!

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't use any other Mocks to build cases around if they aren't

NBADraft.net
Draft Express by way of ESPN
Bleacher Report
Sports Illustrated

Bamba is a consensus Top 5 pick on almost every mock in sight except CBS Sports. They did what they had to do, took an extreme angle with a Top Prospect to draw buzz to their site. There is no conceivable scenario in which he falls to 9 like NONE!

To me .. Bamba, Bagley, and Ayton are the top-3 picks .... All 3 players has the potential to become a double-double 2 blockshot Big-Man in their rookie season in the NBA to shoot above 50% FG .... if they dont get to happy shooting the 3-ball .. like our 40% FG shooting KP did throughout his first three seasons in the NBA.

Now .. Luka Doncic may drop from the top-5 pick for so many reasons .. having no work-out with any NBA teams, plus the NBA teams with the first 5 picks are thinking Doncic might decide to remain in Europe for another season after winning the tournament MVP next week .. Doncic became a very huge fan-favorite in stadiums winning the MVP in the Euro regular season games.

Broadway

All Star
To me .. Bamba, Bagley, and Ayton are the top-3 picks .... All 3 players has the potential to become a double-double 2 blockshot Big-Man in their rookie season in the NBA to shoot above 50% FG .... if they dont get to happy shooting the 3-ball .. like our 40% FG shooting KP did throughout his first three seasons in the NBA.

Now .. Luka Doncic may drop from the top-5 pick for so many reasons .. having no work-out with any NBA teams, plus the NBA teams with the first 5 picks are thinking Doncic might decide to remain in Europe for another season after winning the tournament MVP next week .. Doncic became a very huge fan-favorite in stadiums winning the MVP in the Euro regular season games.

Hgighly doubtful Doncic drops out the 5 spot either, absolutely no lower than 6. Those early reports of not coming over are gamesmanship from his agency to either make sure he gets a team to show first rate interest and/or to avoid being drafted by a team in particular(Kings). Hawks most likely move Schoeder and I can see them drafting Doncic and if he's there at 5 then the Magic snatches him up. There is a report from Givony teams are trying to trade up to 3 to draft Doncic

mafra

Legend
Ayton a beast... perfect fit with hometown team getting 1st pick (something the lottery has an uncanny ability offering moribund teams: think Rose, LeBron, Blake Griffin just to name a few)...

Bagley is a sort of tweeter... really talented but not ideal PF or SF...

Doncic a ball dominant point forward...

Bamba a little thin (with supposedly questionable motor)...

Porter has medical and attitude red flags....

Jax a high floor but lower ceiling (compared to other top prospects in this draft)....

Young really small, not athletic enough, with defensive issues...

Carter gifted offensively and a quality rebounder... but questions about his defense and fact he?s more of a traditional BIG...

Mikhal a solid NBA prospect but is older and smallish and is considered to have a low ceiling...

Sexton a grinder... quality defensive stopper who can penetrate but questions about his jump shot...

Ladies and gents... these are your top 10 prospects!

Think about how GMs botch so many picks... PHI taking Okafor and Fultz over KP and Tatum. Minny took Rubio and Flynn ahead of Curry.

I?d be shocked if somebody in top 8 didn?t get cute and draft a Bridges or Sexton or another prospect not named here.

With so many issues surrounding so many of the prospects in the 3-8 range, and with Sexton, Carter, and both Bridges being safe/boring picks (and fitting modern game)... I think it?s reasonable to expect a Doncic, Porter, Young, Bamba to fall.

Remember, all it takes is for 1 team to balk, or for a team to go in another direction... who can guess a need or BPA another team identifies.

We?ll find out next week.

As for me, I fully expect we get 1 of these: Doncic, Porter, Bamba, Young, Carter, or a Bridges. This isn?t saying much, bc I just named 7 guys... and top 2 will be long gone... but, We may even trade up. I have a funny feeling Doncic or Porter falls. Especially if ARI passes on Doncic, after they hired the kid?s HC.