Charles Curtis - For The Win - Saturday, July 2, 2016

1. Evan Turner, Portland Trail Blazers; Four years, $70 million
2. Timofey Mozgov, Los Angeles Lakers; Four years, $64 million
3. DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors; Five years, approximately $145 million
4. Solomon Hill, New Orleans Pelicans; Four years, $50 million, plus incentives
5. Joakim Noah, New York Knicks; Four years, $72 million

Why is Noah added to the list?
Next to lebron n Duncan, Noah is the 3rd best passing big-man in the league
Plus a healthy Noah help the Bulls become a winning postseason team for 8 straight seasons
Yeah! The Bulls owe Noah a 4 year $80M contract.

tiger0330

Legend
Well looks like Paris was wrong about AA not being able to get a better deal. AA opting out got a > 50% raise.

Interesting point about the Knicks 4th year for Lee making it competitive with offers from other teams for more money but less years. Though Solomon Hill and Leuer got 4yr deals for over 10M/yr and are basically role players.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Well looks like Paris was wrong about AA not being able to get a better deal. AA opting out got a > 50% raise.

Interesting point about the Knicks 4th year for Lee making it competitive with offers from other teams for more money but less years. Though Solomon Hill and Leuer got 4yr deals for over 10M/yr and are basically role players.
Not that I feel sorry for Wade and his financial situation, but damn it's easy to understand why he'd be motivated to even go to Milwaukee to get a lot more money.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Kevin Durant's meeting with the Heat could turn really weird and awkward if something doesn't change for the better for them with the Wade situation.

I don't even know why the Bulls have interest in Wade unless they think he'd play the point or come off the bench since now he's a $10 million dollar player.

tiger0330

Legend
The 5 craziest contracts of 2016 NBA free agency so far
Charles Curtis - For The Win - Saturday, July 2, 2016

1. Evan Turner, Portland Trail Blazers; Four years, $70 million
2. Timofey Mozgov, Los Angeles Lakers; Four years, $64 million
3. DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors; Five years, approximately $145 million
4. Solomon Hill, New Orleans Pelicans; Four years, $50 million, plus incentives
5. Joakim Noah, New York Knicks; Four years, $72 million

Why is Noah added to the list?
Next to lebron n Duncan, Noah is the 3rd best passing big-man in the league
Plus a healthy Noah help the Bulls become a winning postseason team for 8 straight seasons
Yeah! The Bulls owe Noah a 4 year $80M contract.
I thought Conley's deal was insane, never named an All-Star, never led the league in scoring, never named an MVP and gets the biggest contract in NBA history. Maybe Memphis felt they owed it to Conley because he was underpaid his last contract but they made it up to him big time with this contract.

mafra

Legend
If GSW signed Noah... It would be viewed as a sound decision. On top of that, they would blast NY for not finding a C to replace RL.

Parsons got 100 mil. Hands down that is more ridiculous than Noah.

Noah had two injured seasons... One can argue his body is stronger bc of the rest... Think of impact West had in IND and Jeffrson had in CHA, when both were "aging" bugs who moved to new cities.

tiger0330

Legend
WTF is wrong with the Magic, they just signed Biyombo to a 4yr/72M deal after they acquired Ibaka. Add Fournier's contract and the Magic have made some crazy deals. Someone is going to grade the signings after free agency and the Magic are going to get a D.

And why is Tom Brady out in the Hamptons with the Celtics brain trust trying to get KD to sign. Celts have the whole team out there with Smart and Oleynk in the background.

CmYi7wlUMAAU2qE.jpg

WTF is wrong with the Magic, they just signed Biyombo to a 4yr/72M deal after they acquired Ibaka. Add Fournier's contract and the Magic have made some crazy deals. Someone is going to grade the signings after free agency and the Magic are going to get a D.

And why is Tom Brady out in the Hamptons with the Celtics brain trust trying to get KD to sign. Celts have the whole team out there with Smart and Oleynk in the background.

CmYi7wlUMAAU2qE.jpg

This picture gets at the problem that maybe the Celtics are having selling a star player to come play for their otherwise promising roster. Who exactly on their current roster is a guy you use to recruit other stars? Isaiah Thomas is the only guy who is even close. I'd probably call Tom Brady to come to meetings as well if I was Danny Ainge.

Like I said in another post, if Celtics don't nab a star this offseason coupled with no moves at last season's trade deadline and them doing the minimum with that huge number of picks in this most recent draft, it's hard to say Danny Ainge is doing anything special with what he built over the last couple years.

I thought Conley's deal was insane, never named an All-Star, never led the league in scoring, never named an MVP and gets the biggest contract in NBA history. Maybe Memphis felt they owed it to Conley because he was underpaid his last contract but they made it up to him big time with this contract.

I totally agree. 153 million for 5 years to a guy who will be 29-years-old when this contract starts and missed the end of last season and the postseason with an Achilles injury, who not for nothing, was only a 15 point and 5 assist per game guy last year. One of the crazy contracts in recent history.

tiger0330

Legend
Eric Gordon meeting with the Rockets today. They just signed Ryan Anderson but could use EG, last year they were a 3 pt shooting team that couldn't hit 3s so they'll bolster their shooting by adding Gordon. Rox also have potentially more cap space than the Knicks if they renounce a couple of players.

PJ admitted 40M might not get it done to sign CLee but the Knicks could open up more cap space to be able to sign him. Expect the Knicks to renounce DWill, which I mentioned in a previous post. It's a long shot that they could sign him anyway, Jon Leuer got 10.5M so I would expect DWill to get 12M from someone.

tiger0330

Legend
Al Horford to the Celts. Melo's contract is starting to look pretty good after this crazy off-season.

Last edited:
Al Horford to the Celts. Melo's contract is starting to look pretty good after this crazy off-season.

Following the trend of my comments earlier today, I feel like the Celtics had to make this signing. If they missed out on Horford, it would have become fact that the Celtics are a non-factor in attracting established talent in this league.

Horford is a good player and I think a good fit for Boston, but man, a contract that on average equates to 28 million per year for a 30-year-old 6'10" center who averaged 15 points and 7 boards last season. Crazy.

tiger0330

Legend
Eric Gordon meeting with the Rockets today. They just signed Ryan Anderson but could use EG, last year they were a 3 pt shooting team that couldn't hit 3s so they'll bolster their shooting by adding Gordon. Rox also have potentially more cap space than the Knicks if they renounce a couple of players.

PJ admitted 40M might not get it done to sign CLee but the Knicks could open up more cap space to be able to sign him. Expect the Knicks to renounce DWill, which I mentioned in a previous post. It's a long shot that they could sign him anyway, Jon Leuer got 10.5M so I would expect DWill to get 12M from someone.
Gordon signs with the Rox for 53M/4yr 13.25 per. As expected people are concerned with his 4 yr deal and injury history.

CLee reported to have wanted 14M and split the diff between Knicks original offer of 10M to arrive at 12M figure.

Gordon signs with the Rox for 53M/4yr 13.25 per. As expected people are concerned with his 4 yr deal and injury history.

CLee reported to have wanted 14M and split the diff between Knicks original offer of 10M to arrive at 12M figure.

We end up looking good here with getting Lee for slightly less money than Rockets got Gordon and Lee being a better fit for us or so it seems.

tiger0330

Legend
We end up looking good here with getting Lee for slightly less money than Rockets got Gordon and Lee being a better fit for us or so it seems.
Chris Herring thinks CLee is a great pickup. Haven't heard one bad word about the guy.

We'll need his 3 pt shooting since DRose or Melo aren't knockdown 3 pt shooters, he's been pretty consistent over his career right around 38%.

Broadway

All Star
Now the Rockets signed two parapelegic in Anderson and Gordon probably better on paper than they were last yr but how do you guys view their chances of being appreciably better this season?

Broadway

All Star
Lee's signing might be the best move Phil's made his whole time being here...sans drafting #kporzee(which I really can't give him full credit there).

Overall C type offseason thus far from Knicks, especially looking at what some other teams did.

Now the Rockets signed two parapelegic in Anderson and Gordon probably better on paper than they were last yr but how do you guys view their chances of being appreciably better this season?

Houston has become a revolving door. They keep attracting some degree of talent, but never enough to make an impact in the West. They're caught in limbo, probably for the duration of the Harden era.