2016 NBA Free Agency Thread

mafra

Legend
Not legal to go over cap to sign our own free agents when we were under...here's out situation with remaining free agents

It's about cap space and an exception or two that's it.

This is why Hornachek said the next move is to sign a backup PG... I think we want Foye but need more money to do so. So, the plan is to trade KOQ and then use all the existing cap space to sign Foye. After that, we would re-sign LT (we would be allowed to go over cap at that point)...

Then, we would have vet exception and possibly the MLE to work with...

Anyway... We shall see soon enough. It's all semantics... The order they do stuff. They obviously know the ins and outs about cap rules and whatnot.

Still, the point is... We weren't able to get Noah on a team-friendly deal. If he wanted to come home, play with Rose, and all thAt, then why did we have to pay 4/72ish? Did we outbid ourselves here? Who else was going to give him that money?

Then, Lee says he only came here because we had Noah?

So, this begs the question... And Broadway has proven to be right... Nobody is running to play with Melo... and PJ isn't exactly getting guys to come here... We had to overpay to get both ROLO & Noah...

Other then that... PJ brought in journeymen role players (AA & Lee)...

Again, not that PJ has done a bad job... Not that he missed out on slam dunks... We've been a losing team in a town that robs players, boos players... Yes... All that...

But...
Come on...
Phil has yet to do anything more than convince Melo & Courtney Lee to accept 2 mil less per year.

Now is the time for PJ to redeem himself... Get a backup PG, re-sign LT and snag a surprise vet. Then, and only then, will he have earned his money.

As it stands now... PJ didn't even met with the top free agents (LA & KD) of the last 2 summers.

mafra

Legend
(NY Post)

ORLANDO, Fla. ? While defensive forward Lance Thomas has been courted by five clubs, even turning down an offer from the Clippers, his chances of remaining a Knick still are ?better than 50-50,? according to an NBA source familiar with the matter.

?He still wants to stay,? the source said. ?He likes the moves they?ve done.?

Thomas? reps met with Knicks general manager Steve Mills here Sunday to debrief him on his free-agent courtings. The Knicks have a cap hold on Thomas, meaning they can go over the salary cap to re-sign him. The Knicks have his early Bird rights, and the max they can give him is a starting salary of roughly $6 million.

The Timberwolves, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder and Pelicans are interested, and Thomas has received at least two offers that would slightly top what the Knicks can do.

Thomas played for OKC and New Orleans before emerging last season as arguably the Knicks? most energetic defender and dramatically improving his 3-point shot before a series of knee injuries derailed his season in mid-January. Thomas was a key part of the Knicks? successful start when they began the season 21-21.

Jeff Hornacek met Thomas when he was working out with Carmelo Anthony in Manhattan.

?One thing, it looked like he was starting to make that 3-pointer,? Hornacek said. ?That extends your abilities when you make that shot and when you?re a defender. People don?t just give you shots anymore. He saw that and was able to use his athletic ability to drive to the basket. He?s a good player.?

The source said the Brooklyn-born Thomas would lean toward doing a hometown discount for the Knicks and would return unless an offer comes in that bowls him over.

On Friday, Thomas penned a piece for the Players? Tribune detailing his undrafted, rocky NBA career of 10-day contracts, praising Anthony as a much greater leader than he gets credit for. He began the long piece: ?The last six years, my duffle bag has been the only constant in my life.?

He ended it by saying: ?Even today, I?m awaiting a phone call about where I?ll go next season. Maybe it?ll be the Knicks and maybe another team. Wherever it is, I still got that duffle bag in my closet. I?ll be ready to go.?

Many teams were interested in Lin and Crabbe, I already said they overpaid on a couple. Someone on every team was probably getting overpaid. That wasn't my point. Although there are some conflicting reports on Crabbe(if he signs and for anything less it only improves Nets free agent attraction landscape) and Tyler Johnson can still be matched by Heat so tongue in cheek but...as fas as his poison pill, that's irrelevant since the cap will increase again thus the deal getting palatable on the back half.

My point had more to do with attracting guys to go there and they actually sign. We were interested in far more players before Lee(he was pure consolation) and Lee wouldn't have signed had we not got Noah. I'm looking at the signings standing alone in comparison to expectations.

I disagree that many teams were interested in Lin based on the reports I read online leading up to his signing. We will likely never know the truth, but I bet Brooklyn only 'attracted' him, Crabbe, and Tyler Johnson because they contacted them and made them much bigger offers than any other offer and also made them know they were going to be starters or at worst the 6th man on that dismal Brooklyn roster.

I also disagree with the idea that we were interested in far more players before signing Lee. Personally, I think the Wade reports were nonsense and never made sense. We chose Lee over Gordon according to reports.

You've gotten too used to seeing everything we do as a complete failure. We walked the middle of the road this offseason so far. We are not in the same league with the top tier teams for attracting free agents, but we are at least temporarily out of the complete cesspool that the Nets and Lakers occupy. Lee choosing us over comparable or even better offers and potentially Lance Thomas doing the same show that.

Many teams were interested in Lin and Crabbe, I already said they overpaid on a couple. Someone on every team was probably getting overpaid. That wasn't my point. Although there are some conflicting reports on Crabbe(if he signs and for anything less it only improves Nets free agent attraction landscape) and Tyler Johnson can still be matched by Heat so tongue in cheek but...as fas as his poison pill, that's irrelevant since the cap will increase again thus the deal getting palatable on the back half.

My point had more to do with attracting guys to go there and they actually sign. We were interested in far more players before Lee(he was pure consolation) and Lee wouldn't have signed had we not got Noah. I'm looking at the signings standing alone in comparison to expectations.

And just to revisit this idea, you are really saying that the poison pill on Tyler Johnson isn't a big deal? Johnson is still a nobody in this league and they would be paying him over 18 million per season in 2018-19 and over 19 million per season in 2019-20. I don't care how much cap grows, I guarantee you that will be regarded as one of the worst contracts in the NBA at that time if he is not starting for them and playing well.

No way Miami matches that poison pill. Terrible contract under any salary cap.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
And just to revisit this idea, you are really saying that the poison pill on Tyler Johnson isn't a big deal? Johnson is still a nobody in this league and they would be paying him over 18 million per season in 2018-19 and over 19 million per season in 2019-20. I don't care how the much cap grows, I guarantee you that will be regarded as one of the worst contracts in the NBA at that time if he is not starting for them and playing well.

No way Miami matches that poison pill. Terrible contract under any salary cap.
I think Miami will match. His cap hit next year will only be ~1.6M the amount of his qualifying offer this year and year 2 5.6M. 18M and 19M in 2018-2020 money is going to look like a 10M contract today and 2018 is 2 years from now giving the Heat plenty of time to swing deals for him or Dragic.

They also just lost Deng and JJ so losing another rotation player like TJ just doesn't seem like something they can afford to do esp since the cap space you get back by letting him go doesn't get the Heat much back.

Just read an online rumor that we are looking at restricted free agent PG Tim Frazier. Not sure if we even have a shot at him with how little money we have left, but he went crazy to end the season for New Orleans in March and April.

Frazier ended the season with a 15 assist game and his second to last game of last season was a 20 point, 11 assist game. He put up similar big stats throughout most of the last month to 6 weeks of the season. If we could actually somehow get him as our backup PG, I think that would be a shocker.

I think Miami will match. His cap hit next year will only be ~1.6M the amount of his qualifying offer this year and year 2 5.6M. 18M and 19M in 2018-2020 money is going to look like a 10M contract today and 2018 is 2 years from now giving the Heat plenty of time to swing deals for him or Dragic.

They also just lost Deng and JJ so losing another rotation player like TJ just doesn't seem like something they can afford to do esp since the cap space you get back by letting him go doesn't get the Heat much back.

Well, if you also agree with Broadway, maybe I'm the one way off base here.

tiger0330

Legend
Just read an online rumor that we are looking at restricted free agent PG Tim Frazier. Not sure if we even have a shot at him with how little money we have left, but he went crazy to end the season for New Orleans in March and April.

Frazier ended the season with a 15 assist game and his second to last game of last season was a 20 point, 11 assist game. He put up similar big stats throughout most of the last month to 6 weeks of the season. If we could actually somehow get him as our backup PG, I think that would be a shocker.
He'd be a good get but like you say with what $$$ and he's restricted.

Talk of trading Quinn makes no sense either, such a small contract esp in this market. Kiya would go ape s### if PJ did that.

Broadway

All Star
I disagree that many teams were interested in Lin based on the reports I read online leading up to his signing. We will likely never know the truth, but I bet Brooklyn only 'attracted' him, Crabbe, and Tyler Johnson because they contacted them and made them much bigger offers than any other offer and also made them know they were going to be starters or at worst the 6th man on that dismal Brooklyn roster.

I also disagree with the idea that we were interested in far more players before signing Lee. Personally, I think the Wade reports were nonsense and never made sense. We chose Lee over Gordon according to reports.

You've gotten too used to seeing everything we do as a complete failure. We walked the middle of the road this offseason so far. We are not in the same league with the top tier teams for attracting free agents, but we are at least temporarily out of the complete cesspool that the Nets and Lakers occupy. Lee choosing us over comparable or even better offers and potentially Lance Thomas doing the same show that.

We were interested in

Crawford/Turner/Gordon/Gasol/KD/Bazemore/Lin/Rondo/Howard/Derozan/Conley/Mozgov/Clarkson/Rivers.

I am not including Wade. We clearly wanted Turner/Gordon/Crawford before Lee. Knicks will spin otherwise just like they did with the Rolo over Monroes and Aldridges of the world. How many of them did we actually talk to though extensively? How many of them wanted badly to sign here? Lee said he wasn't coming unless Noah was signed, that's telling in of itself. I get Noah took a little precedent but some players never gave us the time of day or already had deals lined up themselves. Same can be said of last yr so no I'm using recent clear track record here.

Dallas was also interested in Lin as were the Sixers, Rockets, Chicago, Clippers, Lakers, Spurs. Tyler Johson's deal is ugly in vacuum but not so much on Brooklyn's roster that was devoid of players to begin with. First couple seasons a little rough but after that deal will be palatable much like when Lin went to Houston.

And we've been the ones bragging on and on past 2yrs or so and already lathering up next yr about ALL THIS CAP SPACE WE HAVE AND HOW WE'RE GOING TO BE HUGE FACTORS IN FREE AGENCY. Welp I haven't seen the evidence.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Well, if you also agree with Broadway, maybe I'm the one way off base here.

Not really I think it's a perspective of how we look at deals and who's signing who. Tyler's deal IMO is more ugly for the Heat than Brooklyn. Just like Horford at Max for Boston is better than Horford at Max for Atlanta. There are many layers and deeper vision type of thought processes when looking at what takes place team-to-team.

Broadway

All Star
He'd be a good get but like you say with what $$$ and he's restricted.

Talk of trading Quinn makes no sense either, such a small contract esp in this market. Kiya would go ape s### if PJ did that.

You see the pickle we're in now, in that trying to acquire reacquire marginal guys like Frazier/Galloway/Thomas/Williams/Willy become such an adventure due to having bums on the roster like O'Quinn who never should have been given that deal in the first place.

mafra

Legend
Rose
Lee
Melo
Porzingis
Noah

Brandon Jennings and Lance Thomas (1st G & F off the bench)...

Euro (young) big in Willy Hernandez

Kyle O'quinn and Amundson backup bigs

Justin Holiday (4th guard... Shooter).

Knicks taking shape. Add another G and another F with MLE and there's your 2016-2017 Knicks

mafra

Legend
Free agent Seth Curry is finalizing a two-year, $6 million deal with the Mavericks.

The Kings rescinded their qualifying offer on Curry to get the Matt Barnes deal done. Curry was really impressive in April, averaging 16.4 points, 3.0 boards, 5.3 assists, 0.9 steals and 3.3 treys on a terrific 62.5 true shooting percentage. He'll likely be in a sixth-man role for his new team with more minutes coming at shooting guard. Curry will be 26 in August, so he still has room for improvement. He is on the radar as a late-round pick. Additionally, the Mavs are really trying to be Golden State East.

Last edited: