2018 NBA Free Agency

mafra

Legend
Hezonja said he got offers from the Lakers, Trail Blazers and Thunder, but he couldn?t fathom turning down the Knicks on July 1 when free agency began, even if it was a one-year, $6.5 million tryout. The 23-year-old said he believes this is the place he will blossom and turn around an underachieving career.

?The entire year I heard from Knicks fans, and I kind of grew into it every day,?? Hezonja said at a press conference Tuesday at UNLV before the Knicks faced the Lakers. ?Nothing else you can tell me to convince me I wasn?t going to New York. I wanted this.?

?The opportunity to be in front of the best fans in the world, the best arena in the world, the best everything the world,?? Hezonja added regarding why he rejected a two-year offer from the Blazers.

Hezonja said he felt he had a connection with Knicks brass beyond Perry. President Steve Mills Skyped with him before the 2015 draft, while Hezonja participated in the Spanish League playoffs.

mafra

Legend
Isaiah Thomas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Denver Nuggets at the veteran minimum, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com.
The one they called the Pizza Guy is back with his old Sacramento coach, Mike Malone. The Brinks truck certainly did not back up for Thomas, which made sense after a tight free agent market and Thomas coming off a brutal 2017-18 season. The Nuggets love Jamal Murray as their point guard of the future and he's established a great rapport with Nikola Jokic and Gary Harris, so it makes sense for Thomas to come off the bench. Thomas doesn't need much time, so he could have value with 22-24 minutes. Murray loses some fantasy value with this deal.

tiger0330

Legend
Isaiah Thomas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Denver Nuggets at the veteran minimum, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com.
The one they called the Pizza Guy is back with his old Sacramento coach, Mike Malone. The Brinks truck certainly did not back up for Thomas, which made sense after a tight free agent market and Thomas coming off a brutal 2017-18 season. The Nuggets love Jamal Murray as their point guard of the future and he's established a great rapport with Nikola Jokic and Gary Harris, so it makes sense for Thomas to come off the bench. Thomas doesn't need much time, so he could have value with 22-24 minutes. Murray loses some fantasy value with this deal.
Said I thought he was the 3rd best PG when he was on that Suns team with Dragon and Bledsoe when he was having that great year with the Celts but damn he's worth more than the minimum. Shocking off-season for so many players signing one year deals below their market value.

tiger0330

Legend
Can't remember a time when so many guys have taken big salary hits or signed one year deals. There will be more teams with cap space next year but how many guys will be coming off one year deals looking for bigger contracts. Brook Lopez signs a 1 yr 3.4M deal with the Bucks.

3:28 p.m. ET: Free agent center Brook Lopez has agreed to a one-year deal with the Milwaukee Bucks using the bi-annual exception, league sources tell ESPN's Chris Haynes. Lopez, 30, averaged 13.0 points and 4.0 rebounds last season with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Bobby Marks answers my question above and his analysis of the Knicks cap space for 2019. I wonder if Porzingis is going to make waves about an extension this summer when he's eligible after Jokic and IT. Will his brother insist on an extension after seeing IT value plummet after his injury and make the case that if Jokic got his max extension so should KP. I could see it happening, stay tuned Knicks fans.

Ten days into NBA free agency, 36 players have signed true one-year contracts or deals with options that could have them back on the market next year. Only 20 players had signed similar contracts after two weeks last July.
We saw this coming. Anticipating the financial crunch, a striking 20 of 28 players signed up for their 2018-19 player options back in June. Teams made it clear that future flexibility would be paramount after spending sprees the past two summers.
The good news (well, for some): We're set for another unprecedented July in 2019. The cap is projected to rise from $101.8 million to $109 million -- and then reach $116 million in 2020-21. At least 15 teams should have room north of $20 million. And more than 200 free agents will flood the market.
That's right. Almost half the NBA could hit free agency next summer. This summer the number was close to 120.

Will teams learn from 2016 mistakes after writing blank checks -- to the likes of Luol Deng, Chandler Parsons, Timofey Mozgov and Joakim Noah -- that left franchises stuck in mediocrity? Don't be surprised if the summer of short-term contracts carries over until 2020, when the most painful contracts expire.

New York Knicks
Projected room: $26.5 million
If New York wants to be in a position to sign an All-Star in 2019, franchise cornerstone Kristap Porzingis will need to wait a year for a new contract.
If Porzingis doesn't extend early, the Knicks project to have $26.5 million in room if the rights to Enes Kanter and Mario Hezonja are renounced and Lance Thomas's non-guaranteed $7 million contract is waived. Signing Porzingis to a $158 million rookie extension before November will shrink New York's space to $17 million.
Even waiting on Porzingis' new deal doesn't get the Knicks all the way to max room for Kyrie Irving or Jimmy Butler, though. New York needs to waive Joakim Noah and stretch his $19.3 million contract over three seasons to hit $40 million. (In the unlikely scenario that Noah is traded, cap space jumps to $46 million.) And if the Knicks want to land two max players, they'll need to move the expiring contracts of Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Woj reporting Bulls will make an offer to Jabari, rumors are it will be 40M/2yrs Teams seem to be valuing youth and potential rather than experience and stats in the signings of Jabari and Exum over Cuz and IT. All 4 coming off of injuries. Weird off-season.

Initial reports were Bucks withdrew JP QO but looks like they retained it so whether they match is up in the air given their acquiring Ilyasova and Lopez and the need to bring back other guys and stay out of the LT.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Parker a Bull 2yr/40M team option. Bucks had to withdraw his QO ahead of the Bulls offer because offer sheets can not include options making this essentially a one year deal for him.

Broadway

All Star
Woj reporting Bulls will make an offer to Jabari, rumors are it will be 40M/2yrs Teams seem to be valuing youth and potential rather than experience and stats in the signings of Jabari and Exum over Cuz and IT. All 4 coming off of injuries. Weird off-season.

Initial reports were Bucks withdrew JP QO but looks like they retained it so whether they match is up in the air given their acquiring Ilyasova and Lopez and the need to bring back other guys and stay out of the LT.

There's also much involving egos, question of fit, and bad attitudes with the Vets you mentioned. They didn't really deserve rich offers to be honest

Keep in mind Pels offered Boogie 2yrs/$40mil right off his injury but he barked at the offer and immediately unfollowed them on IG him like the mature adult he is...:rolling: . He makes a jilted decision to sign with Dubs(July 3rd) instead of waiting for the full moratorium period to reach it's end(Jule 8th?) or even later...so in his case we don't know what the market would've bared. Complaining about lack of offers 3 days into free agency totally shows how unreasonable Boogie was.

IT would not sign extension with Celtics and was quoted at the time saying the Celtics would need to back the Brinks Truck Up. Then when he got traded to the Cavs he said he felt back stabbed and betrayed by Danny Ainge, then when the Cavs had issues upon his return he went to the press and said the Cavs don't practice and they need to let IT be IT. Then when he was traded to the Lakers he said he wasn't coming off the bench.

What I hope in each of their cases maybe slightly less for IT and I mean very slightly is they get the same offers next offseason as a sign to all future free agents don't pull BS like this or else eat a healthy portion of humble pie...not for just one offeseason.

Bulls should be a playoff team. They might have the best Division in the league now, could rightfully produce 4 playoff teams

Kiyaman

Legend
There's also much involving egos, question of fit, and bad attitudes with the Vets you mentioned. They didn't really deserve rich offers to be honest

Keep in mind Pels offered Boogie 2yrs/$40mil right off his injury but he barked at the offer and immediately unfollowed them on IG him like the mature adult he is...:rolling: . He makes a jilted decision to sign with Dubs(July 3rd) instead of waiting for the full moratorium period to reach it's end(Jule 8th?) or even later...so in his case we don't know what the market would've bared. Complaining about lack of offers 3 days into free agency totally shows how unreasonable Boogie was.

IT would not sign extension with Celtics and was quoted at the time saying the Celtics would need to back the Brinks Truck Up. Then when he got traded to the Cavs he said he felt back stabbed and betrayed by Danny Ainge, then when the Cavs had issues upon his return he went to the press and said the Cavs don't practice and they need to let IT be IT. Then when he was traded to the Lakers he said he wasn't coming off the bench.

What I hope in each of their cases maybe slightly less for IT and I mean very slightly is they get the same offers next offseason as a sign to all future free agents don't pull BS like this or else eat a healthy portion of humble pie...not for just one offeseason.

Bulls should be a playoff team. They might have the best Division in the league now, could rightfully produce 4 playoff teams

I think Boogie did the right move for his career .. it did not involve ego .. it involve the powers that be ..
We all knew who the three top FA were on July 1st ???
1) Lebron?
2) Durant?
3) Boogie?
4) CP3?
All four All-Star FA players should have receive 2 or more offers from teams on July 1st !!!
The Pelicans management off-season plans did not include resigning FA Boogie nor Rondo.
I guess Pelicans did the math on Davis/Mirotic/Randle/and Elfrid Payton are much cheaper than giving Boogie a max contract, plus pay Rondo above $12M per

In a way Boston did screw IT and backcourt partner Avery Bradley after having a 53 win season to both players being traded in offsason .. I do understand why the two guards were traded .. the team had a great 30 minute dynamic 2-Way combo-guard Smart in the rotation hungry for more playing-time minutes. Plus also having a much improve 2-Way complimentary SG Jaylen Brown at the start of training-camp ..
All Boston really did last season were replace IT & Bradley playing-time minutes with Smart & Jaylen Brown, plus the two guards receive great help from a young rookie athletic Point-Forward Tatum.
All the so-call hype bout Kyrie gonna get a max-contract in 2019 FA market .. it wont be from the Celtics!!!
Kyrie's 60 game performance last season as a Celtics did little in the team rotation to their 55 win season.
This up coming season Kyrie will be given a small scoring role in coach Brad Stevens rotation ....

Im glad we didnt sign Parker to a ridiculous long contract like we did bench-player Timmy.
The Bulls Big-man rotation will give Parker a lot of room at the SF position to make the Bulls competitive next season.

Broadway

All Star
I think Boogie did the right move for his career .. it did not involve ego .. it involve the powers that be ..
We all knew who the three top FA were on July 1st ???
1) Lebron?
2) Durant?
3) Boogie?
4) CP3?
All four All-Star FA players should have receive 2 or more offers from teams on July 1st !!!
The Pelicans management off-season plans did not include resigning FA Boogie nor Rondo.
I guess Pelicans did the math on Davis/Mirotic/Randle/and Elfrid Payton are much cheaper than giving Boogie a max contract, plus pay Rondo above $12M per

In a way Boston did screw IT and backcourt partner Avery Bradley after having a 53 win season to both players being traded in offsason .. I do understand why the two guards were traded .. the team had a great 30 minute dynamic 2-Way combo-guard Smart in the rotation hungry for more playing-time minutes. Plus also having a much improve 2-Way complimentary SG Jaylen Brown at the start of training-camp ..
All Boston really did last season were replace IT & Bradley playing-time minutes with Smart & Jaylen Brown, plus the two guards receive great help from a young rookie athletic Point-Forward Tatum.
All the so-call hype bout Kyrie gonna get a max-contract in 2019 FA market .. it wont be from the Celtics!!!
Kyrie's 60 game performance last season as a Celtics did little in the team rotation to their 55 win season.
This up coming season Kyrie will be given a small scoring role in coach Brad Stevens rotation ....

Im glad we didnt sign Parker to a ridiculous long contract like we did bench-player Timmy.
The Bulls Big-man rotation will give Parker a lot of room at the SF position to make the Bulls competitive next season.

Being a Top Free Agent does not automatically qualify you to receive absolute maximum offers nor Top premium offers. Shall we compare the career accomplishments of

Lebron/Durant/CP3/Boogie?

What does going to the Dubs to make sure you're a choir boy for back half of season or for strictly the playoffs prove what Boogie's value is worth to the rest of the league...on a team that doesn't need him at all? I mean are we really looking at this as gullible as it's coming across

All 29 teams should tell Boogie to go Kick Rocks next yr when he hits the free agent market again

Kiyaman

Legend
Being a Top Free Agent does not automatically qualify you to receive absolute maximum offers nor Top premium offers. Shall we compare the career accomplishments of

Lebron/Durant/CP3/Boogie?

What does going to the Dubs to make sure you're a choir boy for back half of season or for strictly the playoffs prove what Boogie's value is worth to the rest of the league...on a team that doesn't need him at all? I mean are we really looking at this as gullible as it's coming across
All 29 teams should tell Boogie to go Kick Rocks next yr when he hits the free agent market again

A healthy Boogie puts the GSW in the market of winning 65/70 games, plus puts GSW in the 2018-19 FINALS !!!
Dont hate the player .. hate the game !!!

The NBA 2018 draft class of Big-men (centers and PF) should have made Boogie a top priority on July 1st.
Boogie signing to the NBA BEST organized winning team in the past 5 seasons in the NBA (The GS Warriors) are no different than Steve Kerr, Gentry, and Durant signing on to the GSW team.
Dont get it twisted .. before Head Coach Mark Jackson were FIRED from GS .. Mark Jackson implanted a dynamic 2-Way winning system plan within the GSW team, inwhich the team been using the past 5 seasons, Mark spent 2 seasons coaching a new type of style within Curry & Klay to become the NBA BEST backcourt tandem guards for 6 seasons straight.
The GS Warriors has not change their style, or plan, or successful winning method (Curry/Klay/Iggy) they learned from Mark Jackson.

tiger0330

Legend
Boston keeps the "heart" of the team in Marcus Smart. 52M/4 yr deal. Smart (no pun intended) move by Ainge despite his underwhelming offensive stats.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

mafra

Legend
Pesti decided to keep Ibaka over Harden, then dealt Ibaka for Oladipo and Sabonis, then flipped those 2 for PG. he was able to convince PG to stay then flipped Melo for a solid player.

He may never live down the Harden gaffe.... but he?s certainly atoned for that error.

Broadway

All Star
Beasley signs with Lakers...

Beasley has been on almost every team in the NBA just off the top of my head without looking at his profile

Heat
Bucks
Wolves
Kings
Suns
Cavs
Knicks
Lakers

I probably forgot 2 more. He's really a big fat who cares, a waste of a 2nd pick in draft

tiger0330

Legend
lol I almost got those teams right except he didn't play for the Cavs or Kings...he played for the Rockets
Had a stint in China that doesn't show up on his players profile. He got a million dollar raise from what he was making with the Knicks, good for him. With him and Troy gone, CLEE, LT, Noah should be next if Perry can find a trade for them for an expiring. I think Perry is more inclined to stretch Noah based on his moves to clean the deck for the upcoming season. Crazy to think the Knicks will keep Noah around for a vet presence to school our rookie Robinson.

Broadway

All Star
Had a stint in China that doesn't show up on his players profile. He got a million dollar raise from what he was making with the Knicks, good for him. With him and Troy gone, CLEE, LT, Noah should be next if Perry can find a trade for them for an expiring. I think Perry is more inclined to stretch Noah based on his moves to clean the deck for the upcoming season. Crazy to think the Knicks will keep Noah around for a vet presence to school our rookie Robinson.

If Presti was here 2/3 of the players you mentioned would be gone already. I saw one of the laziest pickup games recently with Blake/THJR/Brewer/Noah and was thinking geez Noah is still on our team...SAD!

On a side note how bizarre is it Belijcia aborts his agreement with Sixers threatens to go back overseas only for Vlade to convince him to stay in the states and offer him a slightly richer contract in which he agrees to? Sixers got BURNED again...pun intended

tiger0330

Legend
Vlade gave him a 20M/3yr deal, Sixers were going to give him a 4M/1yr deal, he wouldn't make that money in Europe. They also signed Yogi, snatching him away from the Mavs after they renounced him making him an UFA. Derozan got it right there's no loyalty in the game, players should use every advantage they can to make more dough.