Do It!!!!!

Hayato

Benchwarmer
The Knicks would be making a big mistake if they make this trade.They are already a team loaded with superstars.Landry Fields, Ray Felton, Danilo Gallinari, and Wilson Chandler are all players that will lead the Knicks to a dynasty.This is a trade that Isiah Thomas would make.The Knicks would just fall back into irrelevancy with Carmelo Anthony.

:smokin::smokin:

mafra

Legend
Mostly every player on the Yankees is selfish.They don't really care about winning, because they know that the Steinbrenners will overpay for them.Cliff Lee is a true hero for choosing to have the chance to win a WS ring over being the highest paid pitcher in baseball.

Mariano could demand a small fortune. He doesn't. He takes reasonable deals. I wouldn't label MO as selfish.

Who wouldn't want more money? You can ask for it... in most cases you wont get unless you ask. Nobody calls out owners for making their billions. Pay players less money wont drop the price of a hot dog or parking.

It's not like Cliff Lee took a 50 million dollar deal. He still got his 120 mil.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Just remember, the issue here is Denver NOT Walsh! Denver keeps changing what they want and that is their tactic to stall and force Melo to resign... It's Denver that is leaking information that the Knicks are holding up the trade because of a specific player and what not... In fact, this is what the Nets were doing during the LJ crap over the summer. If Melo is there to be had, Walsh will get him with out gutting the team.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
Mariano could demand a small fortune. He doesn't. He takes reasonable deals. I wouldn't label MO as selfish.

Who wouldn't want more money? You can ask for it... in most cases you wont get unless you ask. Nobody calls out owners for making their billions. Pay players less money wont drop the price of a hot dog or parking.

It's not like Cliff Lee took a 50 million dollar deal. He still got his 120 mil.

Mariano makes 15 mill a year. how is that not a small fortune for a closer?
Athletes need to demand as much as they can get because their careers last relatively short amounts of times. Even someone like Shaq that lasts 20 years in the league is retired 20 years before ill be able to dream of retiring. They need to account for living their expensive lifestyle for the rest of their years. Even if Melo is willing to take 15 mill less to come to New York, hed be a real idiot if he came out and said it.

mafra

Legend
Yes. He would be even more selfish if he got his money at the expense of all the Yankees' assets. Which is what Melo is doing.

That's not even close to fair... MLB has no salary cap. For example, the few million Yanks-Jeter were apart during the negotiations... if there was a cap and Yanks settled on what DJ demanded... That would mean no Russell MArtin for example. Jorge is old, Montero is young. Would certainly potentially hurt the Yanks if you ask me.

Also, we have no idea if Carmelo is pushing for this to happen now or later. All we know is what's being reported. How accurate is that information?

Even if Carmelo signs with NY. They still have no CENTER. IN this trade, Knicks will be under the cap and have money to spend.

Not to take anything away from Danillo, and as a NYK fan I have been rooting for him. But people are insane if they would bet on his future over Carmelo's present. It's not like Anthony is old either. One is 26 and the other 22. Gallo might be younger, but with that back of his... a bigger risk.

Here's all you need to know: The Nuggets were 17-65 the year before Carmelo arrived. They went 43-39 his rooke year and made the playoffs (in the Western Confernce nonetheless). In his 3rd year, playing with Stoudemire and Felton... Gallo is barely the 3rd option on a team that is on pace to win 41 games.

Not sure why people think Chandler, Gallo & Fields are helping this team win a title and we're barely a .500 team with them.

mafra

Legend
Mariano makes 15 mill a year. how is that not a small fortune for a closer?
Athletes need to demand as much as they can get because their careers last relatively short amounts of times. Even someone like Shaq that lasts 20 years in the league is retired 20 years before ill be able to dream of retiring. They need to account for living their expensive lifestyle for the rest of their years. Even if Melo is willing to take 15 mill less to come to New York, hed be a real idiot if he came out and said it.

Mariano could have held out for a 3-5 year deal. He accepted a 2 year deal. That's all I'm saying. NObody cares about corporate bonuses but they all upset b/c an athlete makes demands? It just bothers me that double standard.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
That's not even close to fair... MLB has no salary cap. For example, the few million Yanks-Jeter were apart during the negotiations... if there was a cap and Yanks settled on what DJ demanded... That would mean no Russell MArtin for example. Jorge is old, Montero is young. Would certainly potentially hurt the Yanks if you ask me.

Also, we have no idea if Carmelo is pushing for this to happen now or later. All we know is what's being reported. How accurate is that information?

Even if Carmelo signs with NY. They still have no CENTER. IN this trade, Knicks will be under the cap and have money to spend.

Not to take anything away from Danillo, and as a NYK fan I have been rooting for him. But people are insane if they would bet on his future over Carmelo's present. It's not like Anthony is old either. One is 26 and the other 22. Gallo might be younger, but with that back of his... a bigger risk.

Here's all you need to know: The Nuggets were 17-65 the year before Carmelo arrived. They went 43-39 his rooke year and made the playoffs (in the Western Confernce nonetheless). In his 3rd year, playing with Stoudemire and Felton... Gallo is barely the 3rd option on a team that is on pace to win 41 games.

Not sure why people think Chandler, Gallo & Fields are helping this team win a title and we're barely a .500 team with them.

Melo is pushing for this trade. I think that is pretty obvious. The reason it's even out there is because he is sending these messages through back channels (i.e. CAA).

I don't think anybody is saying Gallo is going to win us a championship. I know for certain Melo will never win us a championship without a decent supporting cast. Which is what we're about to give up to get him so he can get his money.

It's simple, Melo waits and signs with us in the summer and we become contenders next year. Or we trade for him and we stay perennial 2nd round playoff exits.

knicksin60

Starter

It still makes the Yankee players seem selfish.In 2008 the Yankees became the first team to have a $200 billion dollar payroll and finish a season in third place due to greedy players like Arod who decided to opt out of his contract because he didn't think $215 million dollars was enough money.

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
I personally like Bill Daughtry much better than that egomaniac Stephen A. Smith..

I think we got all the leverage right now.. So pulling the trigger on this deal right now is not necessary. BUT!! If you think about it.. the Nuggets are asking for 3 starters and giving us 2! Carmelo is Carmelo a SF that can pull down 8 rebounds a game and score 25 a game and put up 40+ 50+ on any given night.. Then u get Billups a battle tested champion running the point. The guy is a professional he can play in Dantonis system. And he can play Defense. Those Pistons teams were known for their D.. I would go as far as saying Billups is an upgrade over Felton.. We can keep Billups up until the point Paul and Williams become Free Agents .. So I think at the end of the day if this is the only deal that wioll be accepted u have to do it.. BUT right now it's not neccesary to pull the trigger yet!

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
I personally like Bill Daughtry much better than that egomaniac Stephen A. Smith..

I think we got all the leverage right now.. So pulling the trigger on this deal right now is not necessary. BUT!! If you think about it.. the Nuggets are asking for 3 starters and giving us 2! Carmelo is Carmelo a SF that can pull down 8 rebounds a game and score 25 a game and put up 40+ 50+ on any given night.. Then u get Billups a battle tested champion running the point. The guy is a professional he can play in Dantonis system. And he can play Defense. Those Pistons teams were known for their D.. I would go as far as saying Billups is an upgrade over Felton.. We can keep Billups up until the point Paul and Williams become Free Agents .. So I think at the end of the day if this is the only deal that wioll be accepted u have to do it.. BUT right now it's not neccesary to pull the trigger yet!

I like billups, but he is getting old and his numbers are declining every year. Felton is young and his numbers are getting better every year.

skisloper

Starter

Everyone thinks if Donnie calls up Denver and says its a deal then its a done deal. We have learned with the Nuggets its not. They know if we say YES today we will say YES in a week . They will shop our offer around and/or ask for more.....Just wait.....

I think Donnie knows he will not let Carmelo not be a Knick come the 2/24 deadline. With the Bulls hovering around for a possible carmelo deal at the end of the season there is no way Walsh will risk it.

mafra

Legend
Melo is pushing for this trade. I think that is pretty obvious. The reason it's even out there is because he is sending these messages through back channels (i.e. CAA).

I don't think anybody is saying Gallo is going to win us a championship. I know for certain Melo will never win us a championship without a decent supporting cast. Which is what we're about to give up to get him so he can get his money.

It's simple, Melo waits and signs with us in the summer and we become contenders next year. Or we trade for him and we stay perennial 2nd round playoff exits.

I hear 'ya. But you act as if these are the only 2 options. What about option #3: Knicks don't get Carmelo.

I know for certain the Knicks will not win anything with their current roster. So the issue remains: what to do about that? Gamble and wait? Prepared to go w/out, and then focus on WHAT IF we get Deron or Paul?

mafra

Legend
Everyone thinks if Donnie calls up Denver and says its a deal then its a done deal. We have learned with the Nuggets its not. They know if we say YES today we will say YES in a week . They will shop our offer around and/or ask for more.....Just wait.....

I think Donnie knows he will not let Carmelo not be a Knick come the 2/24 deadline. With the Bulls hovering around for a possible carmelo deal at the end of the season there is no way Walsh will risk it.

I totally agree. Dolan wont allow it anyway. Just be patient. The only issue is what will Walsh end up giving...

skisloper

Starter
Walsh also knows that Carmelo and Amare together is as good as a selling point that you could have to get either Paul or Williams.

mafra

Legend
He's made over $100 mil in his career so far. So $150 mil isn't enough, he's got to get $165 mil, at the expense of all the Knicks assets.

He would be a GOD if he waited and sacrficed for NY. Instead he's demanding WE sacrifice for HIM so he can get $165 mil instead of $150 mil.

Can we ever win a championship with a selfish player like this?

Melo has clashed with Karl his entire time in Denver. There have been many instances where Karl was upset with Melo not listening to him and him being more concerned with getting his points over winning.

Can we ever win a championship with a selfish player like this? Be careful what we wish for. This could end up being Marbury all over again.

Let's also add the article states: “This is like the Nets talks all over again: Denver keeps moving the goal posts,” one league source said. “They don’t know what they want there.”

“Donnie isn’t going to make a one-sided deal and gut his team to get this done now,” said one league source who regularly speaks to Walsh. “He’ll end up with two unhappy stars because they have no supporting cast. But if Dolan gets more involved in this, he could really makes a mess of this.”

You have to look at thing from all angles. That Mark Weinstein (Sp?) we just signed... He was GM for DEN, and was GOOD. The owner fired him so he could have his son run the team. That's nice right. Would you be pissed if you were Carmelo? Nepotism over merit?

Who is he playing with? JR Smith and K Martin aren't exactly outstanding citizens. Billups & Nene are it really. Billups just arrived. HOWEVER, as per the career stat line in the playoffs of 24.5 ppg, 7.1 rpg & 3.0 apg... I would say that's an unslefish superstar who gets the job done.

Maybe Carmelo si fed up with DENVER for playing this game of chicken... MAYBE CARMELO TOLD DENVER, and the owner's son, way back in August that he'll go to CHI, LAL, NYK or whatnot but nowhere. Maybe behind the scenes the 1st year GM and owner's son are jerking him around. We don't know. We are not privy to those private conversations. Respect is a 2-way street.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I hear 'ya. But you act as if these are the only 2 options. What about option #3: Knicks don't get Carmelo.

I know for certain the Knicks will not win anything with their current roster. So the issue remains: what to do about that? Gamble and wait? Prepared to go w/out, and then focus on WHAT IF we get Deron or Paul?

And herein lies the dilemma. Is a team of Felton, Amare, Melo and ??? better than our current team plus the other players we can get via free agency or small trades? Remember, if we miss out on Melo, we still have $18 mil to spend this summer. Is a very deep/talented team better than a team of two stars? And although I recognize Melo is a very talented player, I'm not sold on him being the be-all/end-all for the Knicks. He is a selfish and inefficient scorer.

"There's coach Mike D'Antoni, who I like and respect very much, by the way, but who can't possibly escape the reality that he'll have his fingerprints all over Anthony's absence from this franchise because of his well-known affection for Gallinari."

Yes^^, thanks for pointing that out Steve. With that being known...the coaches head might be rolling soon enough if he keeps holding progress up. It's not like the knicks are playing great ball. Make the move to bring in the great players and build from there.

Toons

is the Bo$$
He is a selfish and inefficient scorer.

umm, u do know he shoots 45% from the field? most of them highly contested shots?
who on dever has to be doubled to get melo open?
amare, and felton are the only untouchables in this trade.

Amare, Melo, Felton better than Bosh, Lebron, Wade