Knicks Free Agency 2015

Broadway

All Star
If I'm Carmelo, I'm asking for a trade if the Knicks don't sign a single player and are out of contention by December.

Here's hoping this becomes a reality...more so Melo asking for a trade however it can come about. I like the potential a draft night can produce, just get some kind of picks for him.

Broadway

All Star
Update....

This has major indication Portland realizes their shot at LarMarcus is about dead and that Monroe will get an absurd deal. Something leads me to believe he wants a S&T so he can get a 5th yr on guarantee with opt out on 4th yr.

Broadway

All Star
Might be the Knicks PF if the Knicks strike out in FA. Varejo and Lee will be trade bait for both the Cavs and the Warriors not looking to take back any salary.

Yeah we may need to look into the David Lee thing..because here's what David West says

mafra

Legend
So far, Brandon Wright and Al-F Aminu were two greats signings... The sort of deals/players I was hoping NYK would do...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Some of these signings are ridiculous. 10 million a year for Shump? Seriously? Dude isn't even worth 5 million - he has no offensive game whatsoever and the only thing keeping him a half-decent NBA player is his slightly above-average defense.

Broadway

All Star
The Kings are about to make a move...

Either they are signing 2 free agents one of them being Rondo or they are making a trade with the Nuggets.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Honestly if we don't sign Greg Monroe or DeAndre Jordan, Melo is probably going to ask for a trade, and honestly, I'd have no problems with him gone. Today's NBA requires ball movement and team play. Players who only know how to iso are not the ones winning titles or even going to the Finals. Carmelo has never been a winner in his entire career and there's no reason to think that he'll suddenly stop being a ball movement-stifling player. Trade him to a team that will take Jose Calderon's contract, get at least 2 first-round picks and two young players in return, and rebuild the team around Porzingis. In the meantime, sign Jeremy Lin to keep the franchise interesting. A team built around Lin has the same probability of going to the Finals as a team built around Carmelo - a 0% chance. Finding a trade partner will be difficult but I'm sure as the season unfolds that a team will want Carmelo's scoring.

It took the Warriors 6 years after Stephen Curry was drafted to get to the NBA Finals. If Kristaps Porzingis is anywhere near as good as Phil Jackson was claiming him to be, the Knicks could be a contending team in as little as 3 years. You'll have a better shot of luring players with young, attractive talent like Porzingis (if he's good, which he should be as long as he puts on some muscle) than you will with Iso-Melo

tiger0330

Legend
Man this might be the worst signing of the offseason

I agree. I thought the Pels were unhappy with him but I guess I was wrong. Asik is Kendrick Perkins all over again, they'll regret signing him to this deal in a few years. Average offensive player, below average athleticism who you're paying big money to because he's 7 ft tall.

tiger0330

Legend
Honestly if we don't sign Greg Monroe or DeAndre Jordan, Melo is probably going to ask for a trade, and honestly, I'd have no problems with him gone. Today's NBA requires ball movement and team play. Players who only know how to iso are not the ones winning titles or even going to the Finals. Carmelo has never been a winner in his entire career and there's no reason to think that he'll suddenly stop being a ball movement-stifling player. Trade him to a team that will take Jose Calderon's contract, get at least 2 first-round picks and two young players in return, and rebuild the team around Porzingis. In the meantime, sign Jeremy Lin to keep the franchise interesting. A team built around Lin has the same probability of going to the Finals as a team built around Carmelo - a 0% chance. Finding a trade partner will be difficult but I'm sure as the season unfolds that a team will want Carmelo's scoring.

It took the Warriors 6 years after Stephen Curry was drafted to get to the NBA Finals. If Kristaps Porzingis is anywhere near as good as Phil Jackson was claiming him to be, the Knicks could be a contending team in as little as 3 years. You'll have a better shot of luring players with young, attractive talent like Porzingis (if he's good, which he should be as long as he puts on some muscle) than you will with Iso-Melo
Even if we don't sign Monroe or DJ the Knicks will have a chance to get two bigs and maybe some draft picks. The Warriors will be looking to dump DLee and Cleveland will be looking to deal Varejo as well. The 76ers just got a protected first, a swap of firsts and a young prospect for taking Thompson and Landry in a salary dump and sending no salary back.

Let's say the Knicks take on both players, that's 2 pretty good front court players we add along with some possible draft picks or players which might make the Knicks competitive so I don't see Melo giving up hope just because Phil strikes out in FA. However, I think it does reflect badly on PJ and that he's no pied piper luring FA's to NY. I think the NY press is going to have a field day with that if he doesn't pull off a big name FA signing.

Last edited:
Free agency isn't over yet, so who knows where we'll be when the dust settles. Still, I can't fault PJ for not partaking in a bidding war over some of these middling talents. How can you build a team when borderline starters are getting 10 million plus a year for 3 or 4 year contracts? David West wants to spit on us? Well, who exactly was excited about him at 10 million plus a year on a bad Knicks team? No one. We are playing this right so far, which is not paying anyone anything so far. We stink no matter what this coming season. As mentiond above, the right move may be to keep the cap space available and be a team that can benefit from someone else's needed salary dump.

Honestly, who is even sure that this isn't still all part of PJ's plans to troll Melo so hard that he waives his no-trade clause? Just read an online quote about how Melo's waiting by his phone for it to ring with good news. That's just sad.