Melo: Wants trade to Knicks (ESPN source)

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
He got jealous of Amare and the Garden and now wants a piece of the fun. Let him wait. At this point he's not worth it. Honestly, resigning Chandler, signing Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson this summer makes us a better team. Melo can't shoot for s**t from outside.

Melo needs us more than we need Melo.

Agreed.

The Garden was amazing today. Melo saw how much STAT is loved in NY. He wants in now.

LeFlume

All Star
We need two superstars to win. Amare and roll players won't make it. Wake up people..We NEED 'Melo like we need air. Without it we're ****ed..Nobody can stop us if we have both Stat and Melo..Unguardable duo..EFF, Gallo Chandler and whoever..they are not in the same league and they don't scare anybody..Melo does...Stat Does...together..FEAR

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Remember, Denver can still do a sign-and-trade this summer and receive players or trade exceptions. Toronto is sitting on a very valuable $14.5 mil trade exception right now. Denver doesn't have to take a crappy offer from us now because they fear they will not get anything in return. They can wait too.

iSaYughh

Starter
Remember, Denver can still do a sign-and-trade this summer and receive players or trade exceptions. Toronto is sitting on a very valuable $14.5 mil trade exception right now. Denver doesn't have to take a crappy offer from us now because they fear they will not get anything in return. They can wait too.

Why? They have to take a crappy offer if they want an offer to take.

Melo goes where he wants to go. That is THE trump card. Everything revolves around it.

Toronto could offer DEN the world and it wouldn't mean thing unless Melo is willing to play for the Raptors. Which he isn't.

If Melo is traded it should for 10cents on the dollar, and to us; barring a major development in what a non-NY team can offer Melo. Or Donnie Walsh has been getting poison slipped into his coffee every morning since the season began and he's lost his mind.

Also, if we don't have cap to sign Melo and Chandler @7M. How can we sign Chandler and Richardson and T.Chandler?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
I don't know how badly I want Melo, if it will cost us Chandler or Fields. The reason why I can live with Gallo leaving is that Melo would take his position and be a strict upgrade. Chandler's defense is arguably better than Melo's and he has also shown an incredible versatility to play 2-4, start or be a 6th man. He also compliments Star players better especially ones who are not known for their D (Melo and STAT.) Fields is the ultimate role player and while I don;t consider him better than Wilson he is just as important to our chemistry. Theres a reason why players like Ron Artest, Shane Battier are on winning teams, they do everything their team needs and don't need the ball to do it.

While I was definitely in favor of picking up Melo earlier this season. (Trading Gallo and Randolph was and still is a steal) Considering the leverage we got now and the players that are important to us, I say we Deal Gallo Eddy Curry and Randolph/ First Rounder. This gives us a little more cap space and the ability to resign Chandler. Correct me if I'm wrong but this would seem better than Signing Melo and passing on Chandler who right now is one of the most underrated players in the league.

mafra

Legend
I love how this article starts off saying MELO will only accept a trade if it's to the NY Knicks, then the article goes on to say that NY will have to move Chandler and Randolph for a draft pick, then Fields and Gallo to get Melo.

Do people actually think before they write stuff?

Why would the Knicks trade all of their assets (Gallo, Chandler, Randolph, Fields) just to get a player they're a lock to end up with in 8 months anyway?

Wouldn't it appear it's DEN who would be lucky to get anything to begin with?

Choice #1 is get Gallo, Curry, Walker/Douglas and a #1 pick.

Choice #2 is to lose Melo and get nothing.

Most likely, Knicks-Denver-Memphis get together for a 3-way deal.... Where Knicks get Carmelo, Denver gets Gallo-Curry and draft picks, and Memphis gets Affalo and Randolph. OJ Mayo goes to either NY or DEN, and probably Walker/Douglas goes to DEN-MEM.

NO WAY NY deals all 4 assets. TWO at the most.

And, to me, Fields has to stay. He fits perfectly with the triiumvirate of Felton-Melo-STAT b/c he doesn't need the ball to have an impact. After that, I would say keep 1 of the other 3 (Chandler, Gallo, Randolph, in this order).

I don't know how badly I want Melo, if it will cost us Chandler or Fields. The reason why I can live with Gallo leaving is that Melo would take his position and be a strict upgrade. Chandler's defense is arguably better than Melo's and he has also shown an incredible versatility to play 2-4, start or be a 6th man. He also compliments Star players better especially ones who are not known for their D (Melo and STAT.) Fields is the ultimate role player and while I don;t consider him better than Wilson he is just as important to our chemistry. Theres a reason why players like Ron Artest, Shane Battier are on winning teams, they do everything their team needs and don't need the ball to do it.

While I was definitely in favor of picking up Melo earlier this season. (Trading Gallo and Randolph was and still is a steal) Considering the leverage we got now and the players that are important to us, I say we Deal Gallo Eddy Curry and Randolph/ First Rounder. This gives us a little more cap space and the ability to resign Chandler. Correct me if I'm wrong but this would seem better than Signing Melo and passing on Chandler who right now is one of the most underrated players in the league.

Sound reasonable but I don't know just yet

moneyg

Starter
yeah but if u give up gallo... u can keep chandler with melo..because we can sign chandler to an extention at the end of the seaon because he is our guy so we can go over the cap

keyser soze

Benchwarmer

I completely agree with all of the bolded. Trading Chandler is an issue because he's our most versatile player and, IMO, easily our third best all-around player behind STAT and Felton. To me, it's hard to envision trading for Carmelo without giving up Gallo and Fields. And to be honest, I don't know how willing I would be to trade either guy. The guy who makes the most sense to include is probably Gallo because, as you point out, Melo plays the same position and is a strict upgrade over Gallo.

Last edited:

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Yeah, the more I think about it, the less sense I think it makes to trade away any young assets for Melo. The guy wants to be a Knick and he's free to sign with whoever he wants in 8 months . . . I just can't get over this verity. And although I'd absolutely hate to have to renounce Chandler's bird rights at the end of the season, the question we all have to ask ourselves is, would we rather lose some combination (possibly all three) of Chandler, Gallo, and Fields, or just Chandler??? This hurts me because Chandler is one of my favorite Knicks, and as I wrote earlier, easily our third best all-around player, IMO, behind STAT and Felton.

iSaYughh

Starter

Good post. Agreed.

We may as well strive to keep as much quality and assets as possible. It's a great point that we may want to trade some though (Gallo eg) to shore up enough cap to assuredly be able to re-sign Chandler.

So throwing in a guy like Moz and his 3M could make sense.

Also if we did trade Chandler, we'd be keeping Gallo instead, but also have some extra money to splash around Melo.

I'm just not 100% convinced we can't sign Chandler (7M?) and also Melo (20M). When the comparison route being made is like us signing Chandler AND a starting center (TChandler, Gasol) AND Richardson. Maybe we can M. Gasol and Chandler, though, which is nothing to sneeze at, plus some other piece.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Maybe some of our boys like Chandler will take a smaller contract to play with the likes of Carmelo and Amar'e rather than go play for the Grizzlies.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Why? They have to take a crappy offer if they want an offer to take.

Melo goes where he wants to go. That is THE trump card. Everything revolves around it.

Toronto could offer DEN the world and it wouldn't mean thing unless Melo is willing to play for the Raptors. Which he isn't.

If Melo is traded it should for 10cents on the dollar, and to us; barring a major development in what a non-NY team can offer Melo. Or Donnie Walsh has been getting poison slipped into his coffee every morning since the season began and he's lost his mind.

I wasn't talking about Melo going to the Raptors. I was referring to the $14.5 mil trade exception that Toronto received for signing and trading Bosh. That is a very valuable asset and Denver can do the same next summer which is better than a crappy offer from the Knicks. So it's not all about what Melo wants. Denver has options.

Also, if we don't have cap to sign Melo and Chandler @7M. How can we sign Chandler and Richardson and T.Chandler?

We will have approximately $18 mil in cap space. Retaining Chandler's Bird Rights will cost us approximately $4.5 mil. Melo will not take $13.5 mil so therefore we will have to renounce Chandler's Bird Rights.

Is it possible to split $13.5 mil amongst Tyson and Richardson? Maybe. $7 mil for Richardson and $6.5 mil for Tyson? Maybe they take it if we make some noise this year. Then we can give Chandler whatever he's worth because by retaining his Bird Rights we are allowed to go over the cap in resigning him.

But the point is that we can possibly build a very good team, or even better team, if we don't use all our cap space on Melo. No need to trade for Melo. Sign him in the offseason and we're very good. Let Melo sign somewhere else and complete this roster and we're still very good.

Of course, this is all moot if the owners get what they want with the new CBA.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The reality is the Knicks organization want him NOW and they are going to trade for him and Landry Fields will be in the deal... That is the reality of the situation. It's all well and fun to say we will send them Curry, AR and walker... I think Denver would ship him to NJ or another team that would be willing to take a chance on renting him for the rest of the year and trying to swoon him to stay. Melo can say all he wants but Denver can trade him to any number of teams that they want. I've heard that the deal is looking like Curry, Gallinari and Fields along with a #1 that they will use AR to get...

la2ny

Starter
why does everyone keep saying lose chandler and fields?

dONNie can say **** denver and give them shit.(ex.curry,randolph,walker,2nd rounder)Mainly because its a pretty much known that he's wants NY. They will have NO CHOICE! i repeat NO CHOICE!!!

so their going to have to do something and if they dont then their even more ****ed!

The Knicks dont have to lose no major contributers for this to happen so you guys need to stop worrying.

last thing i wanted to point out is that i understand not wanting to mess w/ something thats going good, but we will still need another star.point blank period. this team is great but it will never win a title. yes the playoffs are the goal, but is that it? during the summer after stat arrived alot of people were expecting LBJ which was the plan am i right? so why be scared to get a star wingman now?

Last 30 NBA Champions:
10' Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
09' Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
08' Celtics-Paul Pierce,Kevin GarKNEE,GAY Allen
07' Spurs-Tim Duncan,MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker
06' Heat-Dwyane Wade,Shaquille O'neal
05' Spurs-Tim Duncan,Tony Parker,MANu Ginobli
04' Pistons-Chauncey Billups,Rasheed Wallace,Rip Hamilton,Ben Wallace
03 Spurs-Tim Duncan,David Robinson,MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker
02 Lakers-Shaq,Kobe Bryant
01 Lakers-Shaq,Kobe Bryant
00 Lakers-Shaq,Kobe Bryant
99' Spurs-David Robinson,Tim Duncan
98' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman
97' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman
96' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman
95' Rockets-Hakeem Olajauwon,Clyde Drexler
94' Rockets-Hakeem Olajauwon
93' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen
92' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen
91' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen
90' Pistons-Isiah Thomas,Joe Dumars
89' Pistons-Isiah Thomas,Joe Dumars
88' Lakers-Magic Johnson,James Worthy,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
87' Lakers-Magic Johnson,James Worthy,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
86' Celtics-Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parish
85' Lakers-Magic Johnson,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar,James Worthy
84' Celtics-Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parish
83' Sixers-Julius Erving,Moses Malone,Maurice Cheeks
82' Lakers-Kareem Abdul Jabbar,Magic Johnson
81' Celtics-Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parish

See where this is going? This years teams with the top 5 records are:

1:20-3 Spurs-MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker,Tim Duncan
2:19-4 Mavericks-Dirk Nowitzki,Caron Butler,Jason Kidd
3:17-7 Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
4:17-8 Jazz-Deron Williams,Al Jefferson,Paul Millsap
5:17-8 Heat-Dwyane Wade,Chris Bosh,LeBrick

WE NEED MELO! MAYBE NOT EXACTLY NOW BUT IF WE WANT TO SEE A TITLE ANYTIME SOON.

Amare is 28, we need to do this my brothers! :thumbsup:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The reality is the Knicks organization want him NOW and they are going to trade for him and Landry Fields will be in the deal... That is the reality of the situation. It's all well and fun to say we will send them Curry, AR and walker... I think Denver would ship him to NJ or another team that would be willing to take a chance on renting him for the rest of the year and trying to swoon him to stay. Melo can say all he wants but Denver can trade him to any number of teams that they want. I've heard that the deal is looking like Curry, Gallinari and Fields along with a #1 that they will use AR to get...

Randolph + Gallo + Fields + Curry. No thanks. We can build a better team without Melo.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Good post. Agreed.

We may as well strive to keep as much quality and assets as possible. It's a great point that we may want to trade some though (Gallo eg) to shore up enough cap to assuredly be able to re-sign Chandler.

So throwing in a guy like Moz and his 3M could make sense.

Also if we did trade Chandler, we'd be keeping Gallo instead, but also have some extra money to splash around Melo.

I'm just not 100% convinced we can't sign Chandler (7M?) and also Melo (20M). When the comparison route being made is like us signing Chandler AND a starting center (TChandler, Gasol) AND Richardson. Maybe we can M. Gasol and Chandler, though, which is nothing to sneeze at, plus some other piece.

Its essentially Wilson v Gallo all over again. the reason why I am in Chandler's corner is because he is way underrated. Gallo and Randolph got all the press early on and heading into this season Gallo and Randolph were certainly much more exciting of prospects ( Potential All-Star, Show traits of Dirk Nowitzki and Lamar Odom.)

Wilson Chandler rarely shows any expression, which to some thought he lacked motivation. Rarely if ever does Chandler celebrate after a dunk, a block or a big shot. He does this night in and night out and basically is taken for granted cause hes not pumping his fist or making some emotional gesture like Gallo. I get that a lot of fans don't know a whole lot bout the game, Amare getting an easy dunk is more entertaining and thus more important then say the deadly jump shot he has developed THAT ALLOWS him to get to the basket.

I am going to go on record here and say that Chandler is far more important to the Knicks than he gets credit for. Hes is our 3rd best player and is having a season on par with Felton. While certainly not an All-Star and probably never will be, letting Chandler slip away whether through a trade or not making room to sign him, will be a huge mistake. If and only we go into a tailspin against the better teams coming up AND we need more scoring which I find hard for a D'Antoni team to need should we consider letting Chandler go.

New New York

Quiet Storm
He got jealous of Amare and the Garden and now wants a piece of the fun. Let him wait. At this point he's not worth it. Honestly, resigning Chandler, signing Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson this summer makes us a better team. Melo can't shoot for s**t from outside.

Melo needs us more than we need Melo.

Thats Crazy I posted the exact same thing in another thread!!!

I'm torn....first off I dont think trading any player who is steadily in our rotation now is smart (see thread where I break that down)

But, what I'm torn with is, do we need a "side kick" to Stat (ie. Melo) or do we truly build around him

So far Stat has shown he is worthy of being a Franchise Player, and truth be told what you're suppossed to do is build around that player with players who compliment what he does as well as fills the voids the player's game has. Similar to What Orlando did w/ Dwight and LA did w Kobe, they did not add fellow superstars but rather complimentary All Star calliber players!

Jason Richardson's shooting helps tremendously as well as his ability to score one on one gives us another go to scorer when Stat is off.

Tyson Chandler is a better version of Tariaf, his improved FT shooting as well as his ability to run the floor makes him the ideal Center for us.

With signing Melo we get that other player to go to when Stat is off, and solidifies us as a power house team. Melo will be twice as effective as Gallo getting to the rack and exploiting mismatches......yet.....overall we are not a better team than if we signed Melo as oppossed getting J Rich or Chandler

Lets compare shall we....lets say we did a sign and trade with AR and Walker for Melo thus being able to re-sign Wilson (because there is no question if we have to let Wilson walk to get Melo, then that is the deal breaker and we will just shop around in the off season).

Felton/Douglas
Wilson/Feilds
Melo/Gallo/Feilds
Amare/Gallo
Tariaf/Mozgov/Amare

vs.

Felton/Douglas
Ja. Richardson/Feilds
Wilson/Gallo
Amare/Gallo
Ty.Chandler/Tariaf/ Mozgov (Wholly Shot blocking Batman!)

Clearly option 2 is the better team. While In terms of ticket sales and intimidation (at least the first few months of the season) as well as providing The Knicks with two sure shot All Stars team 1 is better in that way.

But team 2 is as complete and NBA team as you can get, Felton's scoring averaged dips while his assist rise significantly. Amare's defense lacks so right behind him is one of the best in the buisness at protecting the paint! Wilson is really the player who gets played off the most and we have already seen this season how dangerous that is for opposing teams.

Here's the catch..... The Suns are missing the playoffs so Ja. Rich is likely gone, so what better team than a team with the exact same style of play he is blossoming in, but how easy will it be to pull Tyson Chandler from Dallas?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Thats Crazy I posted the exact same thing in another thread!!!

I'm torn....first off I dont think trading any player who is steadily in our rotation now is smart (see thread where I break that down)

But, what I'm torn with is, do we need a "side kick" to Stat (ie. Melo) or do we truly build around him

So far Stat has shown he is worthy of being a Franchise Player, and truth be told what you're suppossed to do is build around that player with players who compliment what he does as well as fills the voids the player's game has. Similar to What Orlando did w/ Dwight and LA did w Kobe, they did not add fellow superstars but rather complimentary All Star calliber players!

Jason Richardson's shooting helps tremendously as well as his ability to score one on one gives us another go to scorer when Stat is off.

Tyson Chandler is a better version of Tariaf, his improved FT shooting as well as his ability to run the floor makes him the ideal Center for us.

With signing Melo we get that other player to go to when Stat is off, and solidifies us as a power house team. Melo will be twice as effective as Gallo getting to the rack and exploiting mismatches......yet.....overall we are not a better team than if we signed Melo as oppossed getting J Rich or Chandler

Lets compare shall we....lets say we did a sign and trade with AR and Walker for Melo thus being able to re-sign Wilson (because there is no question if we have to let Wilson walk to get Melo, then that is the deal breaker and we will just shop around in the off season).

Felton/Douglas
Wilson/Feilds
Melo/Gallo/Feilds
Amare/Gallo
Tariaf/Mozgov/Amare

vs.

Felton/Douglas
Ja. Richardson/Feilds
Wilson/Gallo
Amare/Gallo
Ty.Chandler/Tariaf/ Mozgov (Wholly Shot blocking Batman!)

Clearly option 2 is the better team. While In terms of ticket sales and intimidation (at least the first few months of the season) as well as providing The Knicks with two sure shot All Stars team 1 is better in that way.

But team 2 is as complete and NBA team as you can get, Felton's scoring averaged dips while his assist rise significantly. Amare's defense lacks so right behind him is one of the best in the buisness at protecting the paint! Wilson is really the player who gets played off the most and we have already seen this season how dangerous that is for opposing teams.

Here's the catch..... The Suns are missing the playoffs so Ja. Rich is likely gone, so what better team than a team with the exact same style of play he is blossoming in, but how easy will it be to pull Tyson Chandler from Dallas?

If we can get a decent Center and some other complimentary pieces while retaining chandler, its gonna be much harder to just sign Melo. You make a great point about star power vs. depth. Melo and Stat are scary, but so was Lebron and co. down in Miami until they got beat up by a real team with real chemistry and depth in Boston.

If Miami had the foresight to keep Beasly and take the money they saved from passing on bosh to acquire more pieces they would easily be way better. This same scenario could very well play out all over again here in New York. Like you I just don't have information to really know what the "correct" move is and I would not want to be Donnie Walsh right now as making or not making a move for Melo will have real consequences for the next 4-5 years.