Melo: Wants trade to Knicks (ESPN source)

Red

TYPE-A
The reality is the Knicks organization want him NOW and they are going to trade for him and Landry Fields will be in the deal... That is the reality of the situation. It's all well and fun to say we will send them Curry, AR and walker... I think Denver would ship him to NJ or another team that would be willing to take a chance on renting him for the rest of the year and trying to swoon him to stay. Melo can say all he wants but Denver can trade him to any number of teams that they want. I've heard that the deal is looking like Curry, Gallinari and Fields along with a #1 that they will use AR to get...
Of course they want him now... who doesn't? And obviously he's better than Fields, Chandler, and Gallo. Is he better than them combined... that's the question. and guess what...?

why does everyone keep saying lose chandler and fields?

dONNie can say **** denver and give them shit.(ex.curry,randolph,walker,2nd rounder)Mainly because its a pretty much known that he's wants NY. They will have NO CHOICE! i repeat NO CHOICE!!!

so their going to have to do something and if they dont then their even more ****ed!

The Knicks dont have to lose no major contributers for this to happen so you guys need to stop worrying.

last thing i wanted to point out is that i understand not wanting to mess w/ something thats going good, but we will still need another star.point blank period.

See where this is going? This years teams with the top 5 records are:

1:20-3 Spurs-MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker,Tim Duncan
2:19-4 Mavericks-Dirk Nowitzki,Caron Butler,Jason Kidd
3:17-7 Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
4:17-8 Jazz-Deron Williams,Al Jefferson,Paul Millsap
5:17-8 Heat-Dwyane Wade,Chris Bosh,LeBrick

WE NEED MELO! MAYBE NOT EXACTLY NOW BUT IF WE WANT TO SEE A TITLE ANYTIME SOON.

Amare is 28, we need to do this my brothers! :thumbsup:

Exactly... we have leverage because we can say take it (Curry, Randolph, and or Fields, Gallo etc..) or we can continue to over achieve and wait. We win.

Randolph + Gallo + Fields + Curry. No thanks. We can build a better team without Melo.

Randolph, and Curry are no shows... so it's the Melo vs Fields/Gallo right?

Agreed, we can build a better team... probably by trading one or both of them. Fields trade value appears higher than Gallo right now... go figure.

And what if we can get a big like Nene added? Yeah you like that.

Its essentially Wilson v Gallo all over again. the reason why I am in Chandler's corner is because he is way underrated. Gallo and Randolph got all the press early on and heading into this season Gallo and Randolph were certainly much more exciting of prospects ( Potential All-Star, Show traits of Dirk Nowitzki and Lamar Odom.)

Wilson Chandler rarely shows any expression, which to some thought he lacked motivation. Rarely if ever does Chandler celebrate after a dunk, a block or a big shot. He does this night in and night out and basically is taken for granted cause hes not pumping his fist or making some emotional gesture like Gallo. I get that a lot of fans don't know a whole lot bout the game, Amare getting an easy dunk is more entertaining and thus more important then say the deadly jump shot he has developed THAT ALLOWS him to get to the basket.

I am going to go on record here and say that Chandler is far more important to the Knicks than he gets credit for. Hes is our 3rd best player and is having a season on par with Felton. While certainly not an All-Star and probably never will be, letting Chandler slip away whether through a trade or not making room to sign him, will be a huge mistake. If and only we go into a tailspin against the better teams coming up AND we need more scoring which I find hard for a D'Antoni team to need should we consider letting Chandler go.

Wilson won. Easy. He's realized potential, Gallo is limited. An asset, but limited. Period.

That said... let's weigh this

Our assets include...

Curry who MUST be used.
Wilson who is about to get paid.
Expendable, affordable, and economical (in terms of risk vs reward) players in, Gallo, Fields, Douglas, Routins, Randolph, Walker, Mozgov, Azu, Williams, and RMJ.

We need...

Another Big and more interior help.

A back up Pg.

We don't NEED Melo considering how we score, BUT...
come playoff time... bucket needed... traps and double teams on STAT...
to take the pressure off...

a Multi talented, multi-faceted player like Melo, for an expiring Chandler, or questionable Gallo, or Fields is a gamble you must take.

Funny CAUSE IT'S NOT EVEN A GAMBLE CONSIDERING WE RISK NEXT TO NOTHING. Take what we offer or we will wait. And if you want more we'll take more.

Thanks to the Don. :thumbsup::cool:

Seriously, Fields and Gallo and curry and randolph can all go for Melo. Yall need to stop.
Curry and Randolph aint even playing, nor will theyn if you guys think Fields is not replaceable, I feel bad for you.

You need two dominant players. Fields and Gallo do not qualify. U can find fringe players, dominant players dont come along often. Get this man and lets go.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Seriously, Fields and Gallo and curry and randolph can all go for Melo. Yall need to stop.
Curry and Randolph aint even playing, nor will theyn if you guys think Fields is not replaceable, I feel bad for you.

You need two dominant players. Fields and Gallo do not qualify. U can find fringe players, dominant players dont come along often. Get this man and lets go.

Well, first of all, no sensible person on this message board is debating Curry and Randolph, so the bolded is irrelevent. As for Fields and Gallo, YES, I would trade those two along with Eddy Curry's expiring in a New York second if it was the ONLY way for us to land Melo. But the fact of the matter is, Carmelo Anthony is free to sign with whichever team he pleases in 8 short months. So the question a lot of rational Knicks fans are asking themselves is, why break up this fun, exciting, young team by trading away some of our most promising young, homegrown players when the guy we would be trading for is a free agent at the end of the season, and supposedly, REALLY WANTS to play for us AND ONLY US??? I guess it all comes down whether or not Carmelo really wants New York that badly and how well the Knicks management can gauge his true interest level in New York.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
I wasn't talking about Melo going to the Raptors. I was referring to the $14.5 mil trade exception that Toronto received for signing and trading Bosh. That is a very valuable asset and Denver can do the same next summer which is better than a crappy offer from the Knicks. So it's not all about what Melo wants. Denver has options.

We will have approximately $18 mil in cap space. Retaining Chandler's Bird Rights will cost us approximately $4.5 mil. Melo will not take $13.5 mil so therefore we will have to renounce Chandler's Bird Rights.

Is it possible to split $13.5 mil amongst Tyson and Richardson? Maybe. $7 mil for Richardson and $6.5 mil for Tyson? Maybe they take it if we make some noise this year. Then we can give Chandler whatever he's worth because by retaining his Bird Rights we are allowed to go over the cap in resigning him.

But the point is that we can possibly build a very good team, or even better team, if we don't use all our cap space on Melo. No need to trade for Melo. Sign him in the offseason and we're very good. Let Melo sign somewhere else and complete this roster and we're still very good.

Of course, this is all moot if the owners get what they want with the new CBA.

That makes sense. I thought we had more than 18M free. Is there any way a new CBA could actually help us keep Melo and Wilson I wonder...if it hurts mainly the more max-contract players.

Either way, you're right that it's basically inane to trade for Melo and give up anything.

If we whiff on Melo nobody should be heartbroken. M. Gasol/Tyson, re-sign Chandler, and possibly another big body like Glen Davis or a trade for Mayo, would make us extremely good. Though I don't think we'd be a true contender unless Gallo or Chandler (or Gasol) ascended to all-star status.

Where if we got Melo, and had to sacrifice Chandler or Gallo or a guy like Gasol coming aboard; we may still not be a true contender, but it would be easier to fill in those pieces; versus bank on having those complimentary pieces already, and have at least one of them ascend into all-star status.

I'm not entirely sure which I think is better or more likely, actually. Partly bc I don't think we even know just how good we really are right now!

*i don't see Richardson taking that little money, either way, especially after Joe Johnson's deal, which sucks since he is a killer; but like you said, the new cba could change all this

Well, first of all, no sensible person on this message board is debating Curry and Randolph, so the bolded is irrelevent. As for Fields and Gallo, YES, I would trade those two along with Eddy Curry's expiring in a New York second if it was the ONLY way for us to land Melo. But the fact of the matter is, Carmelo Anthony is free to sign with whichever team he pleases in 8 short months. So the question a lot of rational Knicks fans are asking themselves is, why break up this fun, exciting, young team by trading away some of our most promising young, homegrown players when the guy we would be trading for is a free agent at the end of the season, and supposedly, REALLY WANTS to play for us AND ONLY US??? I guess it all comes down whether or not Carmelo really wants New York that badly and how well the Knicks management can gauge his true interest level in New York.

Because u are a better team with him. Period. Yea, they can he young, fun and exciting, but you know we are not beating anyone serious presently constituted. Not saying we win the chip ths year with Melo, but at least you get a few months of reg season play, and playoffs to see what u got, and move forward with a plan to finish it off in the off season.

We all do remember that playoff run we went on when Spree got here right? Meli at least gives us a shot at something serious. And I dont know about yall, but I wanna see it. If that makes me irrational, so be it. Get him now.

la2ny

Starter
^ your not irrational you just have sense.

i understand what everyone on this board is sayin but these guys have a tendency to overate players tooooooo much.They still dont have to give up really anything once denver is desperate but if they do give up something give up wil were gonna lose him n e way and no use for randolph and curry so denver will take it or else.

Some of these cats forget how they were calling for d'antoni's head an calling stat a fraud an were screamin 4 melo like 2weeks ago! now look lol smh

Don't let what happened to Pat happen 2 Stat!:gony:

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Because u are a better team with him. Period. Yea, they can he young, fun and exciting, but you know we are not beating anyone serious presently constituted. Not saying we win the chip ths year with Melo, but at least you get a few months of reg season play, and playoffs to see what u got, and move forward with a plan to finish it off in the off season.

We all do remember that playoff run we went on when Spree got here right? Meli at least gives us a shot at something serious. And I dont know about yall, but I wanna see it. If that makes me irrational, so be it. Get him now.

I know we are a better team with him and I want him. But again, I just can't get over the fact that we likely have a great chance at getting him WITHOUT giving up several valuable young players. I guess what I don't understand is how you can ignore the possibility of just signing him in the offseason without giving up some combination of Gallo, Fields, Chandler, and draft picks.

^ your not irrational you just have sense.

i understand what everyone on this board is sayin but these guys have a tendency to overate players tooooooo much.They still dont have to give up really anything once denver is desperate but if they do give up something give up wil were gonna lose him n e way and no use for randolph and curry so denver will take it or else.

Some of these cats forget how they were calling for d'antoni's head an calling stat a fraud an were screamin 4 melo like 2weeks ago! now look lol smh

Don't let what happened to Pat happen 2 Stat!:gony:

Word. We waited years and Pat broke down. Stat and Melo are two of the most imposing players in the league. Both in their prime. Felton entering his. He just makes us better. I thought that was the goal? Not worryin about what this young guy will become. We know what Melo is! And he is better than everyone on our roster. Get him and see what we can do.

Mia is finishedn thy are what they are. Bos, Orl etc, same deal. We get Melo with the prospect of making more moves. Plus, with the way Walsh Drafts, who is to say he cant find more talent late? What, he spent all his genius on Landry Fields?

GET MELO!

I know we are a better team with him and I want him. But again, I just can't get over the fact that we likely have a great chance at getting him WITHOUT giving up several valuable young players. I guess what I don't understand is how you can ignore the possibility of just signing him in the offseason without giving up some combination of Gallo, Fields, Chandler, and draft picks.

Because he gives us a chance to be better, and probably much better, now. And if we lose one starter in the process, so what. Landry Fields is replaceable. And Melo is simply way better than Gallo and Chandler. We cannot lose by getting him now. He will fit right in, and a wk after we will all be like good riddance player x, thanks for Melo.

KingCharles34

All Star
In a Carmello trade i would prefer to keep chandler over gallo....chandler can play more positions. Hes a very good role player and he can still get better. Gallinari has more upside as well, but I dont see a role for him if we get carmello

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Because he gives us a chance to be better, and probably much better, now. And if we lose one starter in the process, so what. Landry Fields is replaceable. And Melo is simply way better than Gallo and Chandler. We cannot lose by getting him now. He will fit right in, and a wk after we will all be like good riddance player x, thanks for Melo.

Again, I realize Melo is way better than Chandler, Gallo, or Fields. This is NOT something I am refuting. I am also NOT refuting the notion that we need Melo to be a true contender. All I'm saying is that if the Knicks play their cards right, they can get him without giving up ANYONE!!!! (or at worst, not being able to resign Chandler) Why isn't that inherently more awesome than trading away promising young players? Why isn't that inherently more wise and prudent?

In a Carmello trade i would prefer to keep chandler over gallo....chandler can play more positions. Hes a very good role player and he can still get better. Gallinari has more upside as well, but I dont see a role for him if we get carmello
This. I just wish there was a way we could get Melo without giving up either.. But if we have to do it I'd go with trading Gallo before Chandler as well.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
You trade Gallo because he doesn't really fit in NEARLY as well with our team as Chandler does.

If we keep Chandler he's very versatile, he's got 6th man of the year type talent, he can play and defend SG, SF, and PF.

Gallo on the other hand doesn't seem nearly as good coming off the bench...I like Gallo tons, and ideally I'd love to keep him, but Chandler seems like he's far more versatile and would be valuable to keep on as a roleplayer.

I'm still confident that Gallo will, when given enough playing time and shots, one day become Dirk Nowitzki-lite, but even the full-on Dirk isn't as good as Carmelo Anthony, who is quite possibly the best scorer in basketball today.

Again, I realize Melo is way better than Chandler, Gallo, or Fields. This is NOT something I am refuting. I am also NOT refuting the notion that we need Melo to be a true contender. All I'm saying is that if the Knicks play their cards right, they can get him without giving up ANYONE!!!! (or at worst, not being able to resign Chandler) Why isn't that inherently more awesome than trading away promising young players? Why isn't that inherently more wise and prudent?

Because that is a wasted season. You get the best players and surround them with whats needed. Waiting til the season is over is the opposite. Get melo and take him Stat and Felt to whoever we see in the playoffs. Then we fill in the gaps.

smokes

Huge Member
There is a big upside to trading for him now as oppose to signing him in FA.

If we get him now we can go deeper in the playoffs, get more experience under our belts for next year. A lot of our guys know nothing about playoff basketball and they are going to need to learn about it.

That said, I wouldn't personally wanna sign off on a trade that involved more than one of Chandler/Gallo/Fields. I don't know who I'd choose to send packing though. All of them have shown flashes of greatness at the same time Gallo/Chandler have both shown weakness too, Fields is too fresh to have shown this much but it's unlikely he won't slump over the duration of a season.

I think if one of them has to go, it should be Gallo. Chandler has stepped up more than Gallo, he can play the 2/3/4, he is more athletic and has a better rounded game. I do like what I've seen out of Gallo especially this year and it is pretty close to being a coin-toss between the pair of them but Chandler takes it by a whisker. Fields is so young and performing so well I think you have to keep him, he will be at least a solid role player for his NBA career and his upside is even better. He's also probably more valuable long term than either of them.

Curry + AR + Gallo + 2nd. Done deal.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Donnie's going to drag this out as long as he can. Keeping AR and Gallo and Chandler might not seem like that wise of an idea, but if even ONE of those guys becomes a legit star (not necessarily even a superstar, just a star) then we pick up a really solid #3 guy that'll be critical. If we trade away Gallo and realize he's capable of 19 PPG, then...well...we're idiots.