Official 2017 NBA Draft Thread - June 22

The biggest variable in this upcoming draft in my mind is what do the teams in the top 7 spots do if any of them decide that their biggest need is to get either a PF or center. Lauri Markkanen in my mind is a reach in the top 7 and T.J. Leaf or Zach Collins just seem like crazy picks to take in the top 7. Unlike the 2015 NBA draft where the teams with the top picks had both solid guard and big man options, I could see a team this year being more likely to trade down, if they are offered something that they actually want.

All of this is assuming that any of the top 7 teams really do want to pursue a PF or C rather than best player available.

Broadway

All Star
The biggest variable in this upcoming draft in my mind is what do the teams in the top 7 spots do if any of them decide that their biggest need is to get either a PF or center. Lauri Markkanen in my mind is a reach in the top 7 and T.J. Leaf or Zach Collins just seem like crazy picks to take in the top 7. Unlike the 2015 NBA draft where the teams with the top picks had both solid guard and big man options, I could see a team this year being more likely to trade down, if they are offered something that they actually want.

All of this is assuming that any of the top 7 teams really do want to pursue a PF or C rather than best player available.

Orlando needs a bigger 2-way versatile player as does Minnesota, we have to hope 1 or 2 teams go off script of BPA and go with need. A few teams below us may covet our pick by the time we select if this were to happen.

At then end of the day we need a guard, preferably a point guard. It's finally time we address this issue

mafra

Legend
I truly believe some team will fall for Isaac... Smith, and even to a degree Tatum and Monk, are solid singles for teams drafting in the top 7..... but Isaac has HR potential. I just have a feeling some team will bite, especially MINNY.

Sure, Minny loves drafting PGs.... but they have Rubio, they just took Dunne last year, and they have Levine and Wiggins. Isaac would fit in with their current squad perfectly. I say it, but I have a feeling they steal Monk, Fox, or Smith just when we start to believe.... right

Still, Isaac can be a Noah type player for Minny and you know their HC loves defense.

Boston is also a huge ????? They have IT, Bradley, and Smart already. What do they feel they need more? A big? A PG? A wing? A SG?

Monk's ability to shoot may also push him up higher, and Fox may have peaked too early.... I can see ORL taking the French kid over Fox bc they love foreign types.

Reading excerpts of a recent interview with Monk, it seems like he is begrudgingly working out for us if his agent tells him to work out for us. Not because of us, but because he doesn't want to believe he could still be on the board at #8.

tiger0330

Legend
Reading excerpts of a recent interview with Monk, it seems like he is begrudgingly working out for us if his agent tells him to work out for us. Not because of us, but because he doesn't want to believe he could still be on the board at #8.

He reminds me of Justise Winslow who fell to 10 because of his size. I had mentioned it as a factor, that he's small for SG and I'm starting to read people saying the same thing. Teams will be looking to see if he can run an offense and playing him at PG in the NBA but he may fall to 8 esp if his shooting is streaky in his workouts.

Broadway

All Star

Just read a variation of this just moments before making reply. He wants to be off the board before 8. Funny thing is I was trying to get a bead of what Top prospects may want to work out for us this morning getting my water. I could only think of two with sureness...Fultz and Jackson but once again we'll have no shot at either unless we work some bizarre trade.

I also read Fox has targeted Sacramento(via Hoopshype) because of fit/need and his ties to Cauley Stein(Kentucky). I mentioned this in a different scenario but him going to Phx instead because of Booker(Kentucky), Sac does make more sense but will Fox be on the board at 5? Fox said on NBAtv he is willing to play anywhere

Broadway

All Star
He reminds me of Justise Winslow who fell to 10 because of his size. I had mentioned it as a factor, that he's small for SG and I'm starting to read people saying the same thing. Teams will be looking to see if he can run an offense and playing him at PG in the NBA but he may fall to 8 esp if his shooting is streaky in his workouts.

This is the only thing that may hurt him, he has the most positive buzz going at the moment

Broadway

All Star
Update from Begley

Members of the Knicks organization have been in touch with representatives for N.C. State point guard Dennis Smith Jr. about scheduling a pre-draft workout, a league source confirms. There has been no workout scheduled yet but the contact between the Knicks and Smith's camp - which was first reported by ZagsBlog - is an indication that the Knicks would like to take a closer look at Smith Jr. as a potential first-round draft pick. The Knicks have the No. 8 pick in June's draft. Team president Phil Jackson says they are looking at guards and wings. Other players whom members of the organization are fond of include French point guard Frank Ntilikina and Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox and Malik Monk, per sources.

Kiyaman

Legend
Im having problems putting up the video .. Fox weakness remind me of all the college freshmen PG in the past decade that got drafted to the NBA .. they all needed two or three years of college ball before coming to the NBA.
Fox - Monk - D.Angelo - Kyrie and Curry came / coming out of college as a natural SG for the NBA .. they showed PG skills good enough for college level of b.ball.

tiger0330

Legend
Tommie Dee says PJ thinks Fox is the best player in this draft. He's my guy other than Fultz but he's not going to be there at 8.

Dee was also talking about CLee for Rubio swap because KP wants Ricky here.

Broadway

All Star
Fox very well could be and Phil's echo isn't foreign(lol), many feel the same but Phil can make anyone nervous. Never forget he wanted Okafor 2yrs ago after initially applauding how good Russell was when he saw him play in person

mafra

Legend
Fox has it all.... He's a "big" guard and atheletic, he can orchestrate and penetrate, he's developing his shot and plays defense.

I agree that Fultz and Fox are the 2 best.... we lost hope when we slippers from 4-5 to 8....

We can only dream that Smith, Monk and Isaac go top 7.... this means that Tatum, Fox, or Jax slips.