Official Trade Rumors Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
And this makes Hinrich's stint with Hawks and Bulls a 2 time...ha ha ha ha. He has to feel used and abused, lol

Hinrich is straight .. there's nothing better than keep being rehired on ur old job lmao
Channing Frye vs Love playing-time minutes .. lmao
Love agent will have to trade him in the offseason for the Cavs

SVG will get the best coach n GM award .. while chump Phil will be handed a one way ticket to LA

Kiyaman

Legend

While many say "whew glad Phil didn't cave", IMO it shows more of what he isn't capable of doing still and nothing has changed since he's been here. Teams are looking to bodybag us.

I will admit Beverly is a great backup PG, but so is Galloway ..
I don't recall a season where Beverly value rise to be worth a top 15 pick.
I wouldn't trade rookie Grant (20th pick) for Beverly, Calderon or Afflalo i would trade straight

tiger0330

Legend
Hinrich is straight .. there's nothing better than keep being rehired on ur old job lmao
Channing Frye vs Love playing-time minutes .. lmao
Love agent will have to trade him in the offseason for the Cavs

SVG will get the best coach n GM award .. while chump Phil will be handed a one way ticket to LA
SVG is doing a solid job with the Pistons from dumping JSmoove last year for nothing and signing Jackson to getting Harris and the Houston guys. I think they move up a couple of notches in the playoff race with these moves. It's a very young team too.

Also hired a good GM in Bowers.

Kiyaman

Legend
The first available pick we could trade(of any real value) is our 2018 1st. I've longed stated if Phil fulfills his job to expectation then the 2018 1st shouldn't have that high of value on our end. But of course one of the major reasons we're not willing to give it up doesn't have more than necessary to think we've been traded picks for yrs, it has to do with the fact we're not showing any signs of being good for the foreseeable future, even by 2018.

The 2018 1st should have been anchored to Calderon moons ago. We would already be past this major road block stage by now.

We need our 2017, and our 2018 first round picks so we could climb out of the no-playoff hold!
Our famous Phil Jackson (11 championship) were suppose to be able to sign a couple of star role-players with-in two offseasons for our roster .. we only suppose to be trading players n 2nd round picks the next three years.

Admit it! The Tyson Chandler trade was a Dum-Dum move on Phil Jackson part.
Tyson for Calderon

Remember the Amnesty move on Chauncey Billups so we could sign Tyson Chandler in 2011
another Dum-Dum move on Dolan part. Why?
We been searching n searching for a legit pass-first PG throughout the Dantoni era ..
Billups veteranship was a Keeper to tutor rookie Shump n a young PG into legit role-players.

How many players will head coach Rambis produce to be keepers for next season?

We need our 2017, and our 2018 first round picks so we could climb out of the no-playoff hold!
Our famous Phil Jackson (11 championship) were suppose to be able to sign a couple of star role-players with-in two offseasons for our roster .. we only suppose to be trading players n 2nd round picks the next three years.

Admit it! The Tyson Chandler trade was a Dum-Dum move on Phil Jackson part.
Tyson for Calderon

Remember the Amnesty move on Chauncey Billups so we could sign Tyson Chandler in 2011
another Dum-Dum move on Dolan part. Why?
We been searching n searching for a legit pass-first PG throughout the Dantoni era ..
Billups veteranship was a Keeper to tutor rookie Shump n a young PG into legit role-players.

How many players will head coach Rambis produce to be keepers for next season?

I think this is an interesting point. If I remember correctly, a significant aspect of why we gave up what we gave up to get Melo was due to the insistence of also getting Billups so that we'd have a very good, veteran PG running the show. We didn't look great after the trade, but we certainly looked good for the first 3 plus quarters of that game 1 in Boston until Billups got hurt never to return. Then, again if I remember correctly, we re-signed and then used up on our amnesty on him not long afterwards to get Chandler.

For what it's worth, at the time it didn't seem so terrible because we had at least one very good season with Chandler and Billups suffered a major injury the next season, but, the plan seemed to make a lot more sense with Billups being our third 'star'.

Yeah, then the dumping of Chandler and getting Calderon back in return, not so great.

I agree. We need all the first round picks we can get. We have no real reason to believe that we won't be a lottery team every year until we are no longer a lottery team every year.

mafra

Legend
We got the 18th pick in the 2013 draft and the 34th and 51st pick in the 2014 draft in the Calderon-Chandler swap.

At the time, I thought it was a shrewd move... So I cannot second guess it bc it didn't work out. Larkin was taken in the draft the year before (at about the same draft slot we got Shumpert)... Larkin was hurt his rookie year... Didn't play much... But I watch some ACC ball every year... and I really liked him at Miami.

Calderon had his first "down" year of his career the year b4 we dealt for him... But all his numbers in seasons prior suggested we were getting the floor general we needed (run offense, don't turn ball over, drain the 3)... Calderon didn't do a lot well but what he did do well he was exceptional at (shooting from downtown and assist:turnover ratios). Good fit for triangle and for Melo... We were dumping Felton... It also had something to do with addition by subtraction... But Calderon hurts himself... Never plays with Melo really, who hurts himself too...

Anyway, when the deal was made I felt we addressed PG position while getting a serviceable C and 2 second round picks (one almost at cusp of end of first round)...

If we took Nikola Jokic at 34 instead of CleAnthony Early... We would be praising Phil for making the deal. Jordan Clarkson is another guy taken between our 2 second round sections that year.

I've heard a lot of what NYK misses out on getting back instead... B/c DEN got 2 conditional first round picks for Mozgov... But nobody knows what NYK would've got if they waited until FEB to to trade TC... I just don't buy that NYK was going to fetch a ton for an impeding free agent... A larger haul than a above average PG (which JC was at the time), the 18th pick and 2 second rounders... In a make believe world... Sure... We can think the sky is the limit.

But, Unless I am mistaken, OKC and MEM kept both first round picks last year? Sent to DEN conditionally via CLE.

As for the amnesty... We were the only fools to give Amare a 5 year deal... Everybody knew his knees had 1-3 years left. We were given a gift with the amnesty clause... But we squandered it by picking up a 1 year team option only to use it on that same player... When you had 3/60 remaining on STAT? Knowing you were signing a C, with Paul a soon-to-be free agent?
Dolan out loyalty to a "friend" ahead of winning and surrounding Melo with talent...

Again... Gutting the team to get Melo wasn't wise and didn't help the situation... Neither did it help that Melo and Dolan ran Lin out of town.

But the truth is still this: the Carmelo era failed bc management failed to build a team... It had opportunity.

Think about this: when Walsh wanted to dump 1 year left on Jeffries contract... Foolishly thinking he could get Lebron and Wade ... NYK dumped a recent lottery selection (Jordan Hill) plus a future 1st round pick. The summer after we dealt for Melo... We didn't have a first round pick... Bc Wsh sent it to HOU... About 17 picks after our selection (HOU took Royce White)... Draymond Green was taken.

So... If we amnesty Amare... Have all that money... 20 mil... Then draft Green... NYK is building a team around Melo.

The year before that draft... K-Leonard almost fell in our laps... Same with N-Vucevic... They went the two picks before us...then we foolishly took Shumpert over Faired.

We were very close to a Melo-faired-green front court... Cap space to sign Paul... Oh well.

The THjr draft was a bad draft... We don't have a pick in 2014 bc of Melo trade... But... Guy taken with our pick isn't special... But... That could've been Hood.

Anyway... Poor drafting in 2011-2012, wasting amnesty... Trading a 1st for Bargnani... This is what doomed us.

If we handled the roster building better... EvenAfter the Memo trade... We could've had:

Lowry
Melo
Faired
Green

Plus whatever free agents and vets... This would've put Melo in a position to win (compete) for a title in the 2014-2017 window.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
I don't even know if KP6 was the right choice. This a PG driven league, not a stretch 4 driven league. The Warriors aren't winning because they have the best stretch 4 in the NBA. So here we are folks on the brink of ANOTHER lost season. Rambis is blowing smoke about the playoffs; as bad as Fish was, he knew we had no shot and his parting comments reflected that. And I'm not buying this summers FA pitch either. We lost on Lebron and ended up with STaT. Durant ain't coming either. PJAx needs to realize NY is not a destination anymore and hasn't been for a while. There is a whole generation that doesn't remember the KNIcKs being relevant. Unless you are in your 40's you don't remember the Ewing days and those teams never won a title. No 1st rounder again thanks to Bargiani. So get ready for another summer of overpriced, 2nd/3rd tier free agents. We are stuck in NBA purgatory:(

mafra

Legend
Rambis on Grant:

?He?s just a young player,?? Rambis said. ?He?s growing, maturing, developing. There?s a lot to learn. The point-guard position in the NBA is the most difficult position to learn.

?Managing your teammates, you have to know every sequence, where everybody is supposed to be, follow instructions of the coach, who?s hot, who?s not, who needs a shot, what sequence to run. All those decisions have to be made in a split second. He just needs some maturing and growing. The last couple of practices, he?s turned his jets back on. That?s what we really need him to do.??

----

Looks like NY will wait to see who gets cut... Then grab a refuge or promote a D-league guy

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I don't even know if KP6 was the right choice. This a PG driven league, not a stretch 4 driven league. The Warriors aren't winning because they have the best stretch 4 in the NBA. So here we are folks on the brink of ANOTHER lost season. Rambis is blowing smoke about the playoffs; as bad as Fish was, he knew we had no shot and his parting comments reflected that. And I'm not buying this summers FA pitch either. We lost on Lebron and ended up with STaT. Durant ain't coming either. PJAx needs to realize NY is not a destination anymore and hasn't been for a while. There is a whole generation that doesn't remember the KNIcKs being relevant. Unless you are in your 40's you don't remember the Ewing days and those teams never won a title. No 1st rounder again thanks to Bargiani. So get ready for another summer of overpriced, 2nd/3rd tier free agents. We are stuck in NBA purgatory:(

I remember the knicks being relevant, I remember the Ewing days and I also remember the Bernard king days, which was just as fun.....

But this is a guard driven league, but my problem with the porzingis pick is this. The knicks and their fans were hell bent on signing carmelo and giving him his money. I mean you would think the knicks fans were personally getting a portion of his check and knick management got paid a bonus for every dollar they spent... So in my mind knick fans and management felt that carmelo would be relevant or a good player for the next few years..

Ok with that in mind, then why not get a PG? why a stretch 4 who really, lets be honest, is still a project..
Knick fans used to always point back to him having billups and Kidd when he had his greatest success.. so if fans and management really believed that, why talk up porzingis as the correct move? and management, why not just get a PG? they were there for the taking..

I just stopped trying to figure out what this franchise is trying to do... really, it will blow your mind trying to figure that out...

Broadway

All Star
I think this is an interesting point. If I remember correctly, a significant aspect of why we gave up what we gave up to get Melo was due to the insistence of also getting Billups so that we'd have a very good, veteran PG running the show. We didn't look great after the trade, but we certainly looked good for the first 3 plus quarters of that game 1 in Boston until Billups got hurt never to return. Then, again if I remember correctly, we re-signed and then used up on our amnesty on him not long afterwards to get Chandler.

For what it's worth, at the time it didn't seem so terrible because we had at least one very good season with Chandler and Billups suffered a major injury the next season, but, the plan seemed to make a lot more sense with Billups being our third 'star'.

Yeah, then the dumping of Chandler and getting Calderon back in return, not so great.

I agree. We need all the first round picks we can get. We have no real reason to believe that we won't be a lottery team every year until we are no longer a lottery team every year.

So you would have been okay if Toronto offered us Kyle Lowry for Calderon and a 2018 1st at the deadline and Phil turned it down again?

What if Memphis offered us Mike Conley for likewise and we turned it down, you would have been cool?

What if Atlanta offered us Jeff Teague for likewise and we turned it down, you would have been cool?

What if Minnesota offered us Rubio and Martin(we were interested in Martin at the deadline) for Affalo/Calderon/1st, you would have been cool?

You see Dolan could have hired you, myself, and Kiya to simply stand pat and protect 1 lonely future pick doing nothing and he wouldn't have had to suffer financially at the rate of $60mil for us to make such a simplistic decision. Where's the innovation, the forward thinking the stockpiling of even low assets as 2nd round picks, where is Phil showing evidence he's fleshing himself out as a GM?

Fans haven't been comfortable with the idea of coming off that pick since we hired Phil, and all this goes to show "IN PHIL AND FISH WE TRUST" was pure mythology.

We're not rebuilding, retooling, going on all in...nothing, watching the wind blow just to see the results management is crap professionalism.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Nice post Mafra, so basically in 5 years the Knicks did one thing right, draft Porzingis.

Historically everywhere Calderon has been during his whole career except maybe 1 yr his teams have lost motherloads of games. So his numbers were never cracked up to be to what on the paper showed.

Mafra detailed how many times Phil could have gotten things right but failed and as for #kporzee, well if it happened to be Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, Hezonja, Turner we'd come to the same conclusion on Phil getting the pick right. Not difficult to eff up the 4th pick in a hearty draft.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Rambis on Grant:

“He’s just a young player,’’ Rambis said. “He’s growing, maturing, developing. There’s a lot to learn. The point-guard position in the NBA is the most difficult position to learn.

“Managing your teammates, you have to know every sequence, where everybody is supposed to be, follow instructions of the coach, who’s hot, who’s not, who needs a shot, what sequence to run. All those decisions have to be made in a split second. He just needs some maturing and growing. The last couple of practices, he’s turned his jets back on. That’s what we really need him to do.’’

----

Looks like NY will wait to see who gets cut... Then grab a refuge or promote a D-league guy

Man so a 4th yr senior who 23yrs old soon to be 24(a reason Phil stated he drafted him) still has lots of maturing to do?

tiger0330

Legend
It will be interesting to see what happens now that Jimmer is on the team. Does Rambis not play JG and use Jimmer, does Rambis play him as a SG instead of at the point.

I wanted the Knicks to bring him up but like I've said in other posts, I don't know how much help he's going to be. Too small for a SG, doesn't have the handle to be an NBA PG and can't defend. I also want to see if he can score around the basket like he was doing in the D-League, I don't know if he gets that floater off in the NBA.

mafra

Legend
For what it's worth... Over at theknicksblog... Moke Hamilton says in podcast... Inside sources said this:

Melo is close to Durant. He wasn't waiving no-trade until he has an opportunity to sell NY on KD and see what he decides...

Half of Melo's camp wants him to chase a ring -- go to CLE or GSW. Other half, along with Melo want to stay the course.

Appears we will have closure this summer. If Melo cannot recruit KD or others to come here... He'll let PJ trade him (and this summer a BOS-CLE-NYK trade seems obvious)... Boston gets Love. CLE gets Melo. NYK gets lottery pick plus whatever.

So you would have been okay if Toronto offered us Kyle Lowry for Calderon and a 2018 1st at the deadline and Phil turned it down again?

What if Memphis offered us Mike Conley for likewise and we turned it down, you would have been cool?

What if Atlanta offered us Jeff Teague for likewise and we turned it down, you would have been cool?

What if Minnesota offered us Rubio and Martin(we were interested in Martin at the deadline) for Affalo/Calderon/1st, you would have been cool?

You see Dolan could have hired you, myself, and Kiya to simply stand pat and protect 1 lonely future pick doing nothing and he wouldn't have had to suffer financially at the rate of $60mil for us to make such a simplistic decision. Where's the innovation, the forward thinking the stockpiling of even low assets as 2nd round picks, where is Phil showing evidence he's fleshing himself out as a GM?

Fans haven't been comfortable with the idea of coming off that pick since we hired Phil, and all this goes to show "IN PHIL AND FISH WE TRUST" was pure mythology.

We're not rebuilding, retooling, going on all in...nothing, watching the wind blow just to see the results management is crap professionalism.

None of those things happened. We could sign Durant this offseason and obviously that would change everything, but that's not going to happen. You can't agree with me that we are unlikely to make big splashes and then criticize how I say we should hoard our 1st round picks because we are likely to keep the stink going.