Official Trade Rumors Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
Later for all the Knits Haters .. Knits were the best draft pick the Knicks drafted in the past decade .. 19 yr old Knits know more bout DEFENSE than the Knicks coaching staff.
The Knicks actually played defense when this season when they put Knits into the rotation .. The last time the Knicks team played a winning defense were when Lin-Sanity / Chandlor / and Jefferies were leading the Knicks.
I'm glad Knits didn't come in throwing up shots in his rookie season like some of our other rookies we drafted.
For those of you Knick fans who believe DSJ or Mitchell would have thrived as a scorer on bum Hornacek coaching has never took the time to watch rookie Dotson scoring performance this season when all of Hornacek offensive plays were aimed for KP to take 20 shots, Tim to take 15 shots, and Kanter to take 12 shots per game, Beasley has been our best scorer off the bench once Tim Haradawy went down with injury and Hornacek still give Beasley inconsistent minutes of playingtime.

Broadway

All Star
I hope this isn’t how our front office feels about trading Courtney Lee.

They do feel this way. Maybe even more extreme, thought I posted it a couple days ago(i'll post here shortly)...meanwhile

Kiya is he hanging with you for the next couple of days...lol

Broadway

All Star
Look at all the guard fest below

So we gave THJR $70mil+, resigned Baker, drafted Dotson who we don't play, will pursue KCP this summer and in regards to Lee see below...

This organization is operating almost rudderless

mafra

Legend
S.Bondy (NY Daily News)

Knicks need to avoid another quick fix and look to summer of '19

Phil Jackson?s biggest mistake as team president - and there were many to choose from - was abandoning his slow-growth plan in the summer of 2016 by acquiring Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and Courtney Lee.

It was an attempt to take advantage of what was left of Carmelo Anthony, understandable at the time but inexcusable once it all shook out and fell apart. Jackson didn?t believe in Anthony yet he took an ill-fated stab on a low-ceiling roster. Today, it should be a lesson to a new front office plotting for the trade deadline and free agency ? just as James Dolan?s trade for Carmelo seven years ago should serve as a warning.

As tempting as it might be to try another quick fix, the only sound plan for Steve Mills and Scott Perry is to target the summer of 2019 and make moves accordingly (i.e. do not trade for Kemba Walker). It would be frustrating for Kristaps Porzingis, in particular, to plug through another losing season next year but their pitch to the Latvian is in the possibilities.

The Knicks likely won?t have much, if any, cap space this summer. They can create some by trading Courtney Lee or Enes Kanter while unloading draft picks, but the crop of 2018 free agents is so underwhelming it?s not worth committing years of contracts to marginal upgrades such as Avery Bradley or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. The Achilles tear to DeMarcus Cousins further diminishes the class.

The summer of 2019 is much more intriguing. Check out this list of free agents:

- Kyrie Irving (wants to play in New York).

- Klay Thompson (is he sick of being the third or fourth wheel?).

- Kevin Love (not going back to Cleveland).

- Kemba Walker (from New York).

- Kawhi Leonard (reportedly upset in San Antonio).

- Jimmy Butler (not relevant but is a big fan of Taylor Swift).

LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Paul George could also join the crop if they sign one-year deals this summer, overflowing the top-heavy class. By then the Knicks will be in a much better position to sign an A-list free agent with Kanter coming off the books and Joakim Noah becoming tradeable as he enters the final year of his deal.

The Knicks can sell a core of Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr., Frank Ntilikina and, most important to this idea, their 2018 first-round draft pick. Mills and Perry need a home run this June.

Porzingis would also require convincing. The Knicks can save an additional $10 million in cap space if they wait to sign Porzingis as a restricted free agent in 2019, rather than offer a $150 million extension this summer. It?s equates to the same money for Porzingis, just guaranteed a year later ? meaning he?d run the risk of losing it all with a career-ending injury.

Porzingis doesn?t have a choice of when the max contract is offered, but he can skip an exit meeting and threaten to leave. Or, he can go along with the prudent plan and start recruiting 2019 free agents at the All-Star game.

As many as six of the All-Stars will be available next summer. There?s no better time than now to plant the seeds.

mafra

Legend
Clearly, the best route to success and the most reasonable path to building a roster that can compete for a title (and be sustainable) is to focus on the 2019-2020 season.

A lottery pick this summer and our first rounder next summer, along with the few second rounders we possess this year and next.... add this to our core now.... sign a BIG fish summer of ?19.... and then NYK should be in the ?window? to compete.

Ergo, the next 1.5 seasons should be all
about grooming our assets. We really need to tank this season to get the best prospect we can. We need to win Aniyah next year to make this team attractive to A-list free agents in 2019.

Hit HR in draft. Make a shrewd trade to snag an asset. Find a gem in second round or in a Burke type find....

KP and Timmy stay healthy.... Frank becomes a player.... Add a Kyrie or Kawali.... boom.

Kiyaman

Legend
They do feel this way. Maybe even more extreme, thought I posted it a couple days ago(i'll post here shortly)...meanwhile

Kiya is he hanging with you for the next couple of days...lol

Noah's at his agent's office getting in touch with all the playoff teams willing to make a trade for his contract before the trade deadline .. i wouldnt be surprise if the Wolves / Pelicans / Wizards /or Pacers call the Knicks for a trade for Noah.

Truth be said .. WHG young raw skills need to be moved to the stretch 4 spot n PF position to tandem in lineup alongside Kanter or Quinn. WHG is inexperience at the center position.

mafra

Legend
Knicks should have 2 things on their mind come trade deadline:

1. Shed contracts of Noah, Lee and LT off the books (for these 3 on books for 39.5 million for 2019-2020 season). It?s imperative these 3 are gone when NYK start chasing free agents a year from this upcoming July.

Knicks don?t need to go overboard (tossing in a young player, WHG, OT draft pick to dump one of these 3) bc all 3 will be expiring contracts and much easier to shed next trade deadline).

2. Find a way to accumulate as much young talent and/or picks as possible.

Knicks have about 30 mil on the books for 2019-2020 in KP, THjr, Knits, WHG and Dotson.

Knicks need to preserve this space with passion and vigilance. They need to lure a big fish free agent, extend KP, and fill out the roster.

This means, this summer, NYK will have to decide what MB, Kanter, KOQ, and free agent types (like KCP) are truly worth.

With a few draft picks and MLE types,
NY will need to ensure they get KP a max guy to help, along with a quality starting caliber player. This is at least 30 mil....

Dumping LT, Noah and Lee means NYK can achieve these goals, as long as they don?t do something foolish with their cap space in the next 18 months.

tiger0330

Legend
Clearly, the best route to success and the most reasonable path to building a roster that can compete for a title (and be sustainable) is to focus on the 2019-2020 season.

A lottery pick this summer and our first rounder next summer, along with the few second rounders we possess this year and next.... add this to our core now.... sign a BIG fish summer of ‘19.... and then NYK should be in the “window” to compete.

Ergo, the next 1.5 seasons should be all
about grooming our assets. We really need to tank this season to get the best prospect we can. We need to win Aniyah next year to make this team attractive to A-list free agents in 2019.

Hit HR in draft. Make a shrewd trade to snag an asset. Find a gem in second round or in a Burke type find....

KP and Timmy stay healthy.... Frank becomes a player.... Add a Kyrie or Kawali.... boom.

1. Shed contracts of Noah, Lee and LT off the books (for these 3 on books for 39.5 million for 2019-2020 season). It’s imperative these 3 are gone when NYK start chasing free agents a year from this upcoming July.

Knicks don’t need to go overboard (tossing in a young player, WHG, OT draft pick to dump one of these 3) bc all 3 will be expiring contracts and much easier to shed next trade deadline).

Knicks have about 30 mil on the books for 2019-2020 in KP, THjr, Knits, WHG and Dotson.

Knicks need to preserve this space with passion and vigilance. They need to lure a big fish free agent, extend KP, and fill out the roster.

This means, this summer, NYK will have to decide what MB, Kanter, KOQ, and free agent types (like KCP) are truly worth.

NY will need to ensure they get KP a max guy to help, along with a quality starting caliber player. This is at least 30 mil....

Dumping LT, Noah and Lee means NYK can achieve these goals, as long as they don’t do something foolish with their cap space in the next 18 months.
A solid plan Mafra. Thanks for posting it.

mafra

Legend
In a survey of a group of opposing executives and scouts, most felt the Knicks should continue building and sell at the deadline while collecting assets.

?They exceeded expectations based on a home-heavy schedule to start the season and did a nice job, but I never thought they were a playoff team,? one opposing exec said. ?Is the goal to try to create cap space for this summer or are you trying to get a draft pick back also? That?s hard because there?s not many teams willing to trade picks.?

?Depending on the cost, I would try to make the playoffs,? said another opposing team official. ?Obviously keep the core assets [Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Frank Ntilikina] together and make a move to get in the playoffs. But I would not under any circumstance trade the first-round pick.?

Almost to a man, the executives and scouts voiced one sentiment: Start and play Ntilikina.

?I?d play the rookie. Jarrett Jack would get about eight minutes,? one exec said.

?I thought this year was all about trying to get to see if the rookie [Ntilikina] could be a starting-quality point guard down the road. ? They should [play him 30 minutes], at least post All-Star,? an Eastern exec said. ?If you?re not going to make the playoffs, yeah that should be the direction.?

Most stressed the sudden emergence of Trey Burke should not impact the process.

?Burke?s doing well for them, but to me that?s New York anointing him early. Early exuberance. Can?t we wait for a better sample than like two games?? one exec said, offering Burke?s 6-foot-1 size as the biggest drawback.

?There are two guys on their team that are available that people would want: Jack and [Kyle] O?Quinn,? one veteran scout said. ?If they deal O?Quinn that gives [Willy] Hernangomez an opportunity. If they deal Jack, you?ve still got Frank and Trey, two young guys, to play the point.?

Another tempting name is Courtney Lee.

?Courtney Lee has had a helluva year, a terrific year. But is he the future? By the time the Knicks are good, he?s not going to be anything for them,? one opposing official said.

As for possible returns, the answers varied. But most felt the Knicks could get picks, even when picks are being hoarded.

For Jack, one said ?maybe a second-rounder,? while another doubted he could be traded. A third said a team looking for veteran point guard depth, like Washington, or Cleveland eyeing a cheaper alternative to George Hill, might give a second-rounder.

For O?Quinn, who has a $4.25 million player option next year, most saw the return from a team needing size (like Milwaukee) as a second-round pick, although one executive suggested ?you might get a decent rotation player? for him.

Lee, most agreed, could fetch as much as a late, protected, first-rounder. The Thunder, in the wake of Andre Roberson?s injury could fit, although OKC is not likely to part with a pick.

All were virtually unanimous in the assessment that a deal for Joakim Noah is unlikely.

?Offer him a buyout. You?ve got to pay him, so see if you can pay him less,? one exec said. ?There?s not a team in the league that?s going to take on that contract [more than two years left on a four-year, $72M deal] with his health issues and where he is in his career. To take on his contract, you?d have to give the No. 1 pick every other year for three years.?

Broadway

All Star
A solid plan Mafra. Thanks for posting it.

Yeah pretty good breakdown for what's in store going forward. I've spoke on some of this myself but sparsed. There are some issues to contend with though

1 - Kanter wants to be here longterm so according to Mafs outlook we have to pretty much trade him this deadline or by next deeadline if he opted in over the summer

2 - #kporzee's extension isn't factored in to 2019 salary. Look at what Joe'l Embiid got from Sixers and Wiggins got from Wolves(5yrs $147mil) and increase it by about 5%(rough cap inflation guestimate) for #kporzee if we plan on extending him

3 - In order to dump salary in mass like this it will require offloading some type of pick(maybe we'd be willing to look into a 2020 asset of sort)

4 - Can't sign Beasley nor McDermott to long term deals at all

5 - If we land in the lottery this summer and say next summer we have to factor in the cap hits for player salary including any deal we sign 2nd rounders to, should they be good enough

I doubt Kyrie nor Leonard leave either organization because they are ran far better. The fish we may hook will be of lesser caliber but leave the cap space open if possible nonetheless. Really our only way of getting better is through the draft

Broadway

All Star
Meanwhile here is the mindset of #kporzee

So Young Lat, that's not in the best interest of this franchise. I know he probably wouldn't say anything different unfortunately there are bigger things in store for the future. If he uses this as ammo against then it'll be time to do what Phil bluffed at doing and we know what it is

Kiyaman

Legend
There may be some Knicks players that need to be traded or cut before the Feb. trade deadline but more importantly the Knicks organization need to rid it self of two incompetent head coaches Hornacek and assistant coach Rambis.
Hornacek n Rambis has a long coaching career of LOSING road games .. it seems losing road games are O.K. to the Knicks front office .. TANKING for a 2018 lottery pick .. when the Knicks front office should be interviewing to hire Head coach Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd asap before the Feb. trade deadline.

Kiyaman

Legend

1. Shed contracts of Noah, Lee and LT off the books (for these 3 on books for 39.5 million for 2019-2020 season). It?s imperative these 3 are gone when NYK start chasing free agents a year from this upcoming July.

Knicks don?t need to go overboard (tossing in a young player, WHG, OT draft pick to dump one of these 3) bc all 3 will be expiring contracts and much easier to shed next trade deadline).

Dumping LT, Noah and Lee means NYK can achieve these goals, as long as they don?t do something foolish with their cap space in the next 18 months.

Stop assuming TIRED KP need to be resign to play like a Star one month (Nov.) of each season .. it's the end of January, how long has it been since TIRED KP had a double-double game or a 30 pt game ???

Phil selected two guards in the 2017 draft class Frank n Dotson .. why did Mills sign three mediocre free agent guards THJ Baker Session in the 2017 offseason too, when their were free agent veteran mentor guards available in Hill Rondo n resigning Holiday ???

mafra

Legend
Yeah pretty good breakdown for what's in store going forward. I've spoke on some of this myself but sparsed. There are some issues to contend with though

1 - Kanter wants to be here longterm so according to Mafs outlook we have to pretty much trade him this deadline or by next deeadline if he opted in over the summer

2 - #kporzee's extension isn't factored in to 2019 salary. Look at what Joe'l Embiid got from Sixers and Wiggins got from Wolves(5yrs $147mil) and increase it by about 5%(rough cap inflation guestimate) for #kporzee if we plan on extending him

3 - In order to dump salary in mass like this it will require offloading some type of pick(maybe we'd be willing to look into a 2020 asset of sort)

4 - Can't sign Beasley nor McDermott to long term deals at all

5 - If we land in the lottery this summer and say next summer we have to factor in the cap hits for player salary including any deal we sign 2nd rounders to, should they be good enough

I doubt Kyrie nor Leonard leave either organization because they are ran far better. The fish we may hook will be of lesser caliber but leave the cap space open if possible nonetheless. Really our only way of getting better is through the draft

The KP extension will cost more for NYK to wait until next summer.... but by waiting, NYK can first sign their free agents then extend KP.... this allows them to play with the numbers (bc they could go over cap at that point to sign their own guy).

I only re-sign Kanter, MB, And/Or McDermott if they want to accept ?backup? money... I like Kanter and want to keep him bc he?s a natural leader and has toughness but he?s blocking WHG and isn?t worth starting money. I?m fine keeping Kanter if it?s at a reasonable cost.

I do think it?s easy to deal expiring contracts.... that idiot Walsh traded Crawford and Randolph and gave away assets to dump salary.... only to watch MIA show how easily it is to shed an expiring contract moments before snagging LeBron.

LT and Lee should be easy to deal next deadline. Noah might require us taking back a contract.... You rarely see a team toss in a first when dumping an expiring.... but, for Noah, we?ll probably have to either take back a bad contract or simply cut him, reducing cap hit (although extending it some).... this would be fail safe move and only done after a free agent decides to sign with us...

This would be like when we picked up option on Billups only to amnesty him when we signed Amar?e.

mafra

Legend
Trade deadline might be next week.... but it has begun:

Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and Boban Marjanovic have all been traded to the Clippers.

The Pistons are also sending a first-round and a second-round draft pick for Blake Griffin, Willie Reed and Brice Johnson. Harris could slide right into the starting small forward role alongside Danilo Gallinari (glute) once he's healthy and could see a bump in value with this move since the Clippers have limited firepower. On the other hand, this could be bad news down the stretch if the Clippers scrap their playoff hunt and embrace the tank.