Patrick Ewing is a knick!!! - Jr that is :)

Trin_Starr

Starter
thats the point, donnie will be able to make trades that isiah cant because he is respected and wont be suckered. isiah though he was getting over on everybody else thats why everybody got over on him

like ewing jr. he has the best vertical of this years draft (tied with sombody else, cant remember). plays defense and is a student of the game. just wasn't blessed with a jimmy. i see him as a good role player playing alongside a player like curry who doesn't rebound alot, but with d'antoni system i can c him plying the 5 alot

retire jerome.. please

bring SR back......:beer:

He tied with OJ mayo for the best one step vertical and had the best no step vertical in the draft.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
A Weis move by Donnie Darko! who knew we still had his contract?
I applaude this minor, yet significant move, getting a Ewing back in the fold. I think he'll make the team, and be a crowd-pleaser for his hustle, his D, and his namesake. Next move...? Zbo gotta go!

i think he will be gone def before the season starts this is like the appitizers for trads walsh will do now im waiting on the main dish.

Ewing Jr is a great defender hustler and good fastbreak player good move by walsh

Kiyaman

Legend
Because that's what Donnie brings to the table - instant respect around the league!

Other GMs would have spit in Isiah's face if he even mentioned a thought of making this trade lol

Trin Star, I hate to bust your bubble or lift your pride in Walsh, but you should go have Breakfast.
The truth of the matter is revalent to all Big B-Ballers that the Houston Rockets Respect was towards their Ex-Assistant Coach Patrick Ewing, and did not want to waive or cut his son. So they sent him to a team where he have more of a chance making the roster than the guaranteed contracts on it.

Understand the meaning of what "Black" wrote, "The major question is why does the Knicks still have the draft rights to Frederic Weis?
And the super-major question is why would anybody want them?".

The only thing this signing of Patrick Ewing Jr. did was show that Renaldo Balkman Agent was the one that got and forced that trade to Denver to get his client in a better position to bring up his money value before his contract ends.

Paul1355

All Star
i think he will be gone def before the season starts this is like the appitizers for trads walsh will do now im waiting on the main dish.

Ewing Jr is a great defender hustler and good fastbreak player good move by walsh

Not having him at the start of the season is a slap in the face to the Ewings. He will get his shot and have enormous pressure to be as good as his father Patrick, which we know is highly UN-likely. Ewing basically replaces Balkman and we get a 2nd round pick from the Balkman trade, so bottom line we traded Balkman for Ewing JR. and a 2nd round pick.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ i was talking about Z-Bo not Ewing Jr.....Ewing is def making the team and willbe a good role player

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
im so excited, i just hope he makes the team, they cant cut him, hes a good defender and hes athletic, I wish that they will keep him. When he scores its gonna be so weird, the pa anouncer will say patrick ewing, flashbacks to the 90s

Toons

is the Bo$$
not a fan of this move....
insignificant
ewing junior sucks
cant make a layup in summer league
at least taz played well in summer league

Maso

Rookie
If symbolism alone could change the Knicks? fortunes, then the minor trade they made Friday would make them instant contenders to a certain degree.

Now it's time to poach Pat Snr.:beer:

jpz17

Starter
toonz :indifferent:

give it a rest, it was clearly a defensive move, and a move to calm Knick fans down, all in all, great move, but I have one question, what will his number be? 34????

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, somebody is either a liar or Donnie & Dantonio are NOT on the same page!

From Donnie:
"Patrick Ewing will have an opportunity here to compete for a spot on our roster," said Donnie Walsh. "He is a solid defensive player and a very good athlete."

From Danton: "Renaldo really had no role after we drafted Gallinari, and with the emergence of Wilson Chandler his minutes would be nonexistent," D'Antoni told The Associated Press. "So it really wasn't fair to him to keep him in a spot that he wouldn't play and also gives us an opportunity to clear up a roster spot and move on."

So, are they saying that Junior is a better player than Balkman? Are they saying that he is cheaper? Are they saying he has more potential? That statement from Donnie: "He is a solid defensive player and a very good athlete." Could easily have been said about Balkman.

I'm not against the trade (which was definitely a no-brainer and good one for the Knicks) however I don't like the fact that they are using statements as aforementioned.

Are you baffled too! it must be a playingtime thing with all the SF on the roster.
I still believed that defensive SF-Balkman should have started last season alongside of Zach or both should have come off the bench together.
I would have made the Zach & Balkman a tandem and Curry & Lee a tandem. That's my opinion.

Has anyone been watching the Big Impact of coverage the Knicks been getting from NBA TV, ESPN, SI, and other sport sources on this trade that brings Patrick Ewing Jr. to the New York Knicks? WOW!

Just Imagine the "Super Big Impact" coverage if the Knicks would've hired New York Fan-Favorite Ex-Player Patrick Ewing as the Knicks Assistant Coach.
I would even chill to give the poor performance "trio" of bigmen Curry, Zach, and Lee another chance this season as Knicks if Ewing was the bigman-coach.

The only thing this signing of Patrick Ewing Jr. did was ensure me that Renaldo Balkman and his Agent wanted out of New York after the draft selection of SF-Gallinari. I believe that Balkman agent was the one who found and initiated the trade for Balkman to go to Denver.
Doing this for his client ensures Balkman of getting a chance to prove his skills under a disaplint coach Karl, to raise Balkman (money) value when he becomes a FA.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
For once kiyaman i agree with you. It doesnt make too much sense...and balkman coulda been used as a throw in another deal. It sounds like Ewing jr. is a little more athletic then balkman...taller, stronger but still your right.

Isnt this kind of a slap in the face to pat ewing sr.? Hes wanted to join the knicks for a while now but instead of giving him a job they trade for his son. I hate to say it but Pat ewing sr. got sonned by donnie walsh.

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
toonz :indifferent:

give it a rest, it was clearly a defensive move, and a move to calm Knick fans down, all in all, great move, but I have one question, what will his number be? 34????

a defensive move??
are you serious???
so patrick ewing jr is better defensively than balkman? the move was strictly pr. it was a good move because we gave nothing really for him. If it was such a defensive move, would anyone have cared about him if his name wasnt patrick ewing? and seeing that ur marbury supporter, you should hate the aquisitions of new players (thus making his spot on the team uncertain).
heres his summer league stats.

in 15 mins per contest.

0.7ppg
0.7 blocks/game
2.3 rebs/g
0.0 steals/g
.125 fg%
1.3 asst/g

yeah...defense
thats it

lol@the isiah comments...so true

and i love this move...it show's their willing to make smart moves to keep us happy even without a team full of ...stars?

I dont know if its my love for knicks basketball, or if they're actually doing something right, but again this year, im looking forward to the season beginning and am near convinced we're going to have atleast a fun team to watch..

hopefully, they actually find meaning in the word team...

retire james or release curry....yeah, i said it, he may be the #1 center in my NBA2k8 franchise on the Bulls in '12, but as of now, he isnt worth the spot he fills. go 2pf's, sf, 2g's in d'antoni's system and ill be happy...especially if the roster actually works the way they seem to think its going to.

Paul1355

All Star
Well, somebody is either a liar or Donnie & Dantonio are NOT on the same page!

From Donnie: "Patrick Ewing will have an opportunity here to compete for a spot on our roster," said Donnie Walsh. "He is a solid defensive player and a very good athlete."

From Danton: "Renaldo really had no role after we drafted Gallinari, and with the emergence of Wilson Chandler his minutes would be nonexistent," D'Antoni told The Associated Press. "So it really wasn't fair to him to keep him in a spot that he wouldn't play and also gives us an opportunity to clear up a roster spot and move on."

So, are they saying that Junior is a better player than Balkman? Are they saying that he is cheaper? Are they saying he has more potential? That statement from Donnie: "He is a solid defensive player and a very good athlete." Could easily have been said about Balkman.

I'm not against the trade (which was definitely a no-brainer and good one for the Knicks) however I don't like the fact that they are using statements as aforementioned.

Are you baffled too! it must be a playingtime thing with all the SF on the roster.
I still believed that defensive SF-Balkman should have started last season alongside of Zach or both should have come off the bench together.
I would have made the Zach & Balkman a tandem and Curry & Lee a tandem. That's my opinion.

Has anyone been watching the Big Impact of coverage the Knicks been getting from NBA TV, ESPN, SI, and other sport sources on this trade that brings Patrick Ewing Jr. to the New York Knicks? WOW!

Just Imagine the "Super Big Impact" coverage if the Knicks would've hired New York Fan-Favorite Ex-Player Patrick Ewing as the Knicks Assistant Coach.
I would even chill to give the poor performance "trio" of bigmen Curry, Zach, and Lee another chance this season as Knicks if Ewing was the bigman-coach.

The only thing this signing of Patrick Ewing Jr. did was ensure me that Renaldo Balkman and his Agent wanted out of New York after the draft selection of SF-Gallinari. I believe that Balkman agent was the one who found and initiated the trade for Balkman to go to Denver.
Doing this for his client ensures Balkman of getting a chance to prove his skills under a disaplint coach Karl, to raise Balkman (money) value when he becomes a FA.

Walsh and D'Antoni noticed that Balkman was a bum and that a 2nd round pick would be more productive...i think that sums up the Balkman idea. Now we have Ewing Jr who brings the Knicks some PR points and some excitement because of his name. Also he has one of the best vertical leaps of any draft pick and a 7 foot wingspan and is projected to be a solid defender.

jzero29

Rotation player
Ewing Jr

I love Ewing Jr. unfortuantely I need to see more from him to believe he's NBA ready. If it came down to steph or ewing Jr...I have to go steph. Marbury is much more talented.

Toons

is the Bo$$
wow....very insightful j-zero
that really is a tough one, marbury or ewing jr
you love him?? dude is clearly not ready for the nba, i watched him in summer league, his movements are awkward, and his "high bball iq" was nowhere to be seen. If he is such a good player, why was he traded from draft rights to weiss?? EJ will not make this team