Patrick Ewing is a knick!!! - Jr that is :)

Toons

is the Bo$$
dont get me wrong, i would have taken a second round pick from the celtics for the draft rights to weiss, its just that after seeing EJ play, umm....yeah....kinda sucks

Kiyaman

Legend
Walsh and D'Antoni noticed that Balkman was a bum and that a 2nd round pick would be more productive...i think that sums up the Balkman idea. Now we have Ewing Jr who brings the Knicks some PR points and some excitement because of his name. Also he has one of the best vertical leaps of any draft pick and a 7 foot wingspan and is projected to be a solid defender.

Is this guy for real?
Is he talking about the Knicks (NBA Ready) Rookie "Tazman" being a BUM!!!

i dont think it is walsh's make up to trade for a player, and then cut the player. He would not of made this move if he did not intend on including mini ewing on this roster. I feel he will prob sporadically play 5-7 minutes a game, of 2 pnts 4 reb .5 blocks a game type of ball. to give Lee some rest but still keep the hustle and finishing to a maximum . Good move by walsh, getting in a real projected role player, not another Zeke the freak move where he brings in a guy who expects to play 25 mins a game because he has a huge contract, and winds up playing every other day and scowling on the side line. This is a perfect move.

Toons

is the Bo$$
if he makes the team, he would take minutes away from lee....im tired of lee getting shitted on because of a lack of minutes...

NYKnicks15

Starter
once again just like in the marbury debates we bring our personal feelings into a debate. balkman was a fan favorite and worshipped so much BECAUSE he did the little things a player is supposed to do and he did it on our team when we had maybe one other person that would do it. you stick him on another team he wont be noticed or worshipped plain and simple. I LIKE BALKMAN. BUT hes a one dimensional player. DEFENSE. defense should be praised but besides for that he has no game.

ewing jr is a solid defender and a year of nba experience hell be on par with balkman or better in that regards. he's taller. more diverse (can play 3 and 4) and he brings good PR. his dad wants him to use his number. jerseys alone are worth keepin the kid. offensive game is average if not worse but if you can remember balkman can barely make a layup.

d'antoni was not lieing. balkman would have not got the minutes he WANTED and always complained about getting. ewing jr is just happy to be on the team. he can develop and if we trade zach he has the possibility of getting minutes.

right now we have curry, randolph, lee, gallinari, jeffries, richardson, crawford, duhon, robinson, marbury fighting for the rotation. its gonna be tight but walsh said the nice thing. he'll get a chance to make this team and by either cutting marbury, malik or jerome this kid will get a roster spot

Trin_Starr

Starter
Trin Star, I hate to bust your bubble or lift your pride in Walsh, but you should go have Breakfast.
The truth of the matter is revalent to all Big B-Ballers that the Houston Rockets Respect was towards their Ex-Assistant Coach Patrick Ewing, and did not want to waive or cut his son. So they sent him to a team where he have more of a chance making the roster than the guaranteed contracts on it.

Understand the meaning of what "Black" wrote, "The major question is why does the Knicks still have the draft rights to Frederic Weis?
And the super-major question is why would anybody want them?".

The only thing this signing of Patrick Ewing Jr. did was show that Renaldo Balkman Agent was the one that got and forced that trade to Denver to get his client in a better position to bring up his money value before his contract ends.

Wow - your lack of comprehension is beyond me - yet I do not know why I am going to waste my time explaining to you what simple things you seem not to be able to grasp.

Yes, it is true that Houston was going to cut Ewing Jr. because they are laden heavy at forward but at the same time - if a team like Denver was looking for a defensive young athlete to mold much like Balkman - they could have traded for him. I am sure a second round pick would have sufficed. In the same way - if Isiah was at the helm - I am 100% positive that Houston would have asked for the second rounder received from the balkman trade in exchange for Ewing Jr. Walsh's respect around the league from other GMs allowed for us to get him with Weis' draft rights.
As you asked - why did the knicks have the draft rights for so long? - well because not one of our GMs was able to trade them to anyone even in the millions of trades this team has pulled off. It was considered a waste - a copy of someone's playing rights with no value whatsoever - but guess what - Walsh was actually able to get something out of nothing.

Secondly - Balkman's poor work ethic is what did him in with D'Antoni. He has been in the league 2 years and has not tried to improve his jumper and other facets of his game...it is well documented that he would be the one to get cut because of this. While he is an energy player, Ewing also brings that plus he has a very good work ethic and is willing to get better and has an ever improving jumpshot.

Thirdly - you have to be mentally challenged to think Balkman forced that trade to Denver. How old are you? 10. Ok now I understand.

Don't come at me like you know me.
Talk to me, disagree with me all you want - but once you think you can try to diss me...that's where it stops.

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
once again just like in the marbury debates we bring our personal feelings into a debate. balkman was a fan favorite and worshipped so much BECAUSE he did the little things a player is supposed to do and he did it on our team when we had maybe one other person that would do it. you stick him on another team he wont be noticed or worshipped plain and simple. I LIKE BALKMAN. BUT hes a one dimensional player. DEFENSE. defense should be praised but besides for that he has no game.

ewing jr is a solid defender and a year of nba experience hell be on par with balkman or better in that regards. he's taller. more diverse (can play 3 and 4) and he brings good PR. his dad wants him to use his number. jerseys alone are worth keepin the kid. offensive game is average if not worse but if you can remember balkman can barely make a layup.

d'antoni was not lieing. balkman would have not got the minutes he WANTED and always complained about getting. ewing jr is just happy to be on the team. he can develop and if we trade zach he has the possibility of getting minutes.

right now we have curry, randolph, lee, gallinari, jeffries, richardson, crawford, duhon, robinson, marbury fighting for the rotation. its gonna be tight but walsh said the nice thing. he'll get a chance to make this team and by either cutting marbury, malik or jerome this kid will get a roster spot

This post is wrong on so many levels. How are you a solid defender at pf. if your college career averages in blocks is 0.7? an 0.4 steals...where are his hands? when have u seen him defend? to me recollection, he got benched in summer league cuz he couldnt keep lopez from scoring on him. i guess if michael jordan jr wanted to play for us it would be a good move no mater how shitty he is. He didnt even average 1 point in summer league.
HE CAN DEVELOP IF WE TRADE ZACH???? YOU WOULD RATHER HAVE EWING JR OVER ZACH??? you should resign as a moderator if u feel that way. he would have a chance if we cut marbury?? are you drunk? ewing jr over steph? dudes all over have a vertical over 50, keep in mind jefferies has a 7ft wing span also, but he is no tayshaun prince. DONT BE FOOLED....ewing sr cant even help him in the post, because he has the body of a sf,, not a dominant center

Toons

is the Bo$$
Secondly - Balkman's poor work ethic is what did him in with D'Antoni. He has been in the league 2 years and has not tried to improve his jumper and other facets of his game...it is well documented that he would be the one to get cut because of this. While he is an energy player, Ewing also brings that plus he has a very good work ethic and is willing to get better and has an ever improving jumpshot.

Thirdly - you have to be mentally challenged to think Balkman forced that trade to Denver. How old are you? 10. Ok now I understand.

Don't come at me like you know me.
Talk to me, disagree with me all you want - but once you think you can try to diss me...that's where it stops.

for a moderator, i expected more....
balkman had an excellent work ethic, it was his basketball IQ that was questionable in the up tempo system.
quote from balkman to denver thread.
"Rey is a terrific athlete and clearly keeps himself in outstanding shape, which is a credit to his work ethic."
u say he hasnt been working on his jumper? what have u been watching?
quote from new york times
Balkman has spent the past two months working out at home in Tampa, Fla., and training at the IMG Academy in Bradenton. His focus has been improving an ugly jump shot, under the tutelage of George Glymph, an assistant coach for the Knicks.

?It doesn?t happen overnight,? Balkman said. ?For the most part, I?m knocking down shots that I?m supposed to.?

come with something real, i support the balkman trade, but i kno he is far from a bum. he is better than EJ. As knick fans we need to be real with ourselves and not be blinded by this kids name!

GetRealistic

Starter
Ewing is a cheaper, more intelligent, and younger version of Balkman point blank. Not to mention we get a second round pick out of it.

Just the fact Ewing played in a Georgetown system that features a Princeton style offense proves he'll be a better ball handler, and passer then Balkman ever was. And lets face it half the posters on this forum are probably better jump shooters then Balkman so i'm sure Ewing Jr. can outshoot Balkman as well.

Lee, Nate, and Balkman are/were massive fan favorites. And i'm not saying he will be anything but if Ewing Jr. can be anything just imagine the type of fan favorite he will be just becuase of the name on the back of his jersey. Plus he can dunk and make highlights which gives u the only think Balkman really gave.

Also the next person who tries to use summer league stats as any type of backing for real NBA ball should be banned. The Knicks went undefeated and Nate Robinson was the NBA of the summer league. What did that lead to? a 23 win season. If Ewing Jr. did make this team it wouldn't be for his scoring so who cares if he averages 1 ppg.

Maybe Donnie can swing a deal that would unload Jefferies and then we'd have Ewing Jr. playing his minutes.

Trin_Starr

Starter
for a moderator, i expected more....
balkman had an excellent work ethic, it was his basketball IQ that was questionable in the up tempo system.
quote from balkman to denver thread.
"Rey is a terrific athlete and clearly keeps himself in outstanding shape, which is a credit to his work ethic."
u say he hasnt been working on his jumper? what have u been watching?
quote from new york times
Balkman has spent the past two months working out at home in Tampa, Fla., and training at the IMG Academy in Bradenton. His focus has been improving an ugly jump shot, under the tutelage of George Glymph, an assistant coach for the Knicks.

“It doesn’t happen overnight,” Balkman said. “For the most part, I’m knocking down shots that I’m supposed to.”

come with something real, i support the balkman trade, but i kno he is far from a bum. he is better than EJ. As knick fans we need to be real with ourselves and not be blinded by this kids name!

I like balkman as a hustle player but guy - realize he's nothing but a second pick at most. All that bullshit that isiah said Phx wanted him - hence he had to draft him at 21 - is a bunch of crap...balkman was probably going to get drafted late in the second rnd if he wasn't taken by isiah.

As I stated earlier this is a good PR move at best but it doesn't hurt having a kid who is willing to learn and get better. If he makes the team great - it's good to have something good to talk about with the knicks rather than some negative shit all the time.

Walsh basically got a replacement in terms of hustle and an additional 2nd pick. Ewing Jr comes with a much lower salary since he was picked in the 2nd round and Walsh doesn't have to worry about his contract status for a while.

Balkman has just one year left on his rookie deal ($1,320,960) with a team option of $2,036,920 for 2009-10. Ewing Jr comes with a $400K salary. This how a REAL team practices fiscal responsibility instead of throwing dollars away on role players. This is what knicks fans have wanted to see for a very long time from the knicks management...

And the next thing - what games were you watching - so he's been trying to work on his J - have you seen any progress???

Look at D. Lee as a perfect example. The dude shot 60% in his rookie season from the FT line and worked his a$$ off and came back the next season with ~80% FT shooting and has continued that. He knew his J was not good - he worked on that shit too and guess what - he started making shots in games when it counted...now that's work ethic - that's putting things u learn in practice into a live game....did balkman do that??? did balkman work on his FT shooting, did he improve his J???
Cmon now - look at the tape guy...if his work ethic was good - he would have made progress like Lee did.

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
i agree with most of what u say, but you cant compare potential to actual work ethic. Lee has more potential and an ability to improve than taz did. But then again, u never know what someone can achieve. Shaq works his ass of fwith free throws, but he dosent get better. progress dosent directly show from persistence.

Paul1355

All Star
I like balkman as a hustle player but guy - realize he's nothing but a second pick at most. All that bullshit that isiah said Phx wanted him - hence he had to draft him at 21 - is a bunch of crap...balkman was probably going to get drafted late in the second rnd if he wasn't taken by isiah.

As I stated earlier this is a good PR move at best but it doesn't hurt having a kid who is willing to learn and get better. If he makes the team great - it's good to have something good to talk about with the knicks rather than some negative shit all the time.

Walsh basically got a replacement in terms of hustle and an additional 2nd pick. Ewing Jr comes with a much lower salary since he was picked in the 2nd round and Walsh doesn't have to worry about his contract status for a while.

Balkman has just one year left on his rookie deal ($1,320,960) with a team option of $2,036,920 for 2009-10. Ewing Jr comes with a $400K salary. This how a REAL team practices fiscal responsibility instead of throwing dollars away on role players. This is what knicks fans have wanted to see for a very long time from the knicks management...

And the next thing - what games were you watching - so he's been trying to work on his J - have you seen any progress???

Look at D. Lee as a perfect example. The dude shot 60% in his rookie season from the FT line and worked his a$$ off and came back the next season with ~80% FT shooting and has continued that. He knew his J was not good - he worked on that shit too and guess what - he started making shots in games when it counted...now that's work ethic - that's putting things u learn in practice into a live game....did balkman do that??? did balkman work on his FT shooting, did he improve his J???
Cmon now - look at the tape guy...if his work ethic was good - he would have made progress like Lee did.

cosign on this whole thing:agreed:

NYKnicks15

Starter
oh toons your personal attacks are making me weep. you hurt my feelings. bad toons. sit down and read boss, first when you personal attack someone you show your weakness... so simmer down haha not to mention you jump before reading what someone actually wrote furthermore your lack of prospect knowledge.

ewing jr IS a solid defender. and if you truly knew the game of basketball you would know that stats mean nothing. absolutely nothing. you dont have to have stats to show your worth. bruce bowen for example. he has blocks? and massive steals totals? or wait lets see a true defender in balkman.. haha .8 steals and .5 blocks WINNER WINNER WINNER.

and just because balkman says he makes shots or is trying means jack as well. i could tell you i have one leg and twelve inches swingin between my legs.. doesnt mean its true. FYI the 12 inces is correct haha just kidding.

theres a big difference between saying and doing. if you follow the game of college basketball you would know that ewing jrs jumpshot has improves since his days at Indiana then eventually Georgetown. he won the 6th man award and hustles. he works hard, great teamwork and is like a sponge. wants to learn, wants to improve.

and no i dont want michael jordan jr to play here or with the bulls (ill take Marcus Jordan eventually if he continues to develop at the rate he has). but im just saying when your father is hall of fame material.. you have a knack for wanting to succeed. and it doesnt hurt having a great teacher at home.

now in reference to your ewing over zach or marbury allegation. i dont think i stated that anywhere. nor did i say cut one of them to make room for him. ill say cut malik or jerome for him. but i was referring to the fact that marbury might be gone and the same with zach SO IF THAT WERE TO HAPPEN he'd have room.

fact of the matter is your worshipping balkman for something anyone can do. anyone can be a defender. anyone can complain about lack of minutes. anyone can wave a towel around. and id take a cheaper, younger, more willing to improve/potential player in ewing. i hope balkman succeeds. itll be tough in denver since he cant shoot the ball and hes behind 5 other guys in rotation on the forward spot. i like the kid. i just like ewing better.

bottom line.. balkman had 2 years of nba experience. 2 years of summer leagues and 4 years of college. and he cant raise his game to anything more than a 8th man. lets save money, gain a draft pick, gain good PR, sell jerseys, have something to root for and call it a night.

Toons

is the Bo$$
oh toons your personal attacks are making me weep. you hurt my feelings. bad toons. sit down and read boss, first when you personal attack someone you show your weakness... so simmer down haha not to mention you jump before reading what someone actually wrote furthermore your lack of prospect knowledge.

ewing jr IS a solid defender. and if you truly knew the game of basketball you would know that stats mean nothing. absolutely nothing. you dont have to have stats to show your worth. bruce bowen for example. he has blocks? and massive steals totals? or wait lets see a true defender in balkman.. haha .8 steals and .5 blocks WINNER WINNER WINNER.

and just because balkman says he makes shots or is trying means jack as well. i could tell you i have one leg and twelve inches swingin between my legs.. doesnt mean its true. FYI the 12 inces is correct haha just kidding.

theres a big difference between saying and doing. if you follow the game of college basketball you would know that ewing jrs jumpshot has improves since his days at Indiana then eventually Georgetown. he won the 6th man award and hustles. he works hard, great teamwork and is like a sponge. wants to learn, wants to improve.

and no i dont want michael jordan jr to play here or with the bulls (ill take Marcus Jordan eventually if he continues to develop at the rate he has). but im just saying when your father is hall of fame material.. you have a knack for wanting to succeed. and it doesnt hurt having a great teacher at home.

now in reference to your ewing over zach or marbury allegation. i dont think i stated that anywhere. nor did i say cut one of them to make room for him. ill say cut malik or jerome for him. but i was referring to the fact that marbury might be gone and the same with zach SO IF THAT WERE TO HAPPEN he'd have room.

fact of the matter is your worshipping balkman for something anyone can do. anyone can be a defender. anyone can complain about lack of minutes. anyone can wave a towel around. and id take a cheaper, younger, more willing to improve/potential player in ewing. i hope balkman succeeds. itll be tough in denver since he cant shoot the ball and hes behind 5 other guys in rotation on the forward spot. i like the kid. i just like ewing better.

bottom line.. balkman had 2 years of nba experience. 2 years of summer leagues and 4 years of college. and he cant raise his game to anything more than a 8th man. lets save money, gain a draft pick, gain good PR, sell jerseys, have something to root for and call it a night.

lol, personal attacks?
come on man, grow some balls...
this is who i am bro, i say what i feel. if u think feel like i was trying to call u out then thats ur beef.
now ur being contradictory, u say stats mean nothing, and then u mention balkmans stats just one sentance later.
and those quotes wer enot only from balkman, but from sports anylist. U might have more knowledge because i didnt follow ewing jr. untill about a few months before the draft, so u win that one. I havnt seen anything impressive dogg....real talk, summer league competition is greater than college. guys in summer league are hungry for making the team, and the nba is more difficult than summer league. I mention sumemr league stats because he failed to score 1 point in 15 mins in 4 games. he also couldnt manage to defend nba ready rookies. so im asking you for some of your knowledge. what have you seen from him that makes him such a good pick?? every nba anylist says its a pretty insignificant move talent wise, but the pr is good (which i stated earlier) but lets not hype him up like he's a lottery pick. thats all im sayin.

Toons

is the Bo$$
and if u read my posts, i think balkman is an underachiever
in the balkman trade to denver thread, u can see that i think balkman is sub par, even a bum that cant make a layup at times....i support the trade...u need to check out the boards more mr. moderator guy. lol, worship balkman??? me?? hahaha, balkman only got props cus he was on a shitty team.

contradicting urself once again...bottom line
if zach or marbury is cut
and EJ is on this team
EJ would get playing time to "develop"
please tell me why u think he hasnt reach his ceiling...
from the reports (i havnt seen) his jumpshot fell off
he had a solid 10-15 footer, but i hear he cant hit one for beans now
if u want site references i can send them.

Toons

is the Bo$$
look at the talent
get realistic
thats why u have stages
highschool
college
summer league
nba

college ball is not the final 4
its only liek that because it is a tournament
the talent level in summer league is 10 times greater than any college game